DISNEY WORLD vs. DISNEYLAND

I prefer DL > MK, but I love the extra space of MK. The extra space makes everything much more pleasent and enjoyable.

By comparison I think MK has a better Tomorrowland. DL's has almost nothing in it and that makes me sad because it's my MOST favorite place.

I SO wish they would put back the people movers here at DL..... Why let the track sit empty all these years???

Yeah MK has a better Tomorrowland as far as enviornment goes--but the Monsters Inc show there does not make sense, and the Stitch thing is not as good as the Alien Encounter before it. Plus you gotta go to Hollywood Studios for Star Tours, Space Mountain pales in comparison to DL's, and the Carousel of Progress, IMO, is wasted space. I guess it's sort of a trade-off

Whenever I visit Walt Disney World, I am reminded of how much I miss Disneyland. (And I also remember how cool and incredible Epcot is). Honestly, the MK does nothing for me. You know how everybody has that "I'm in Disney World moment" when they visit the parks? I never get that feeling in the MK, but I always get it when I see Spaceship Earth.

And somehow, Sleeping Beauty Castle always seems to take my breath away. Yes, I know it's smaller, but it symbolizes so much of what makes Disney special. Besides that, knowing that Walt himself walked through it makes it amazing.

Both have their strengths, but that light in the apartment over the Main Street Fire Department is only at Disneyland. And that makes all the difference in the world to me. MK only has 2 attractions that I'd like to see at the DLR. Mickey's PhilharMagic and Walt Disney's Carrousel of Progress. Some of the differences are cool and/or unique enough (HM, Hall of Presidents).

I liked how the Small World ride at Disneyland started outside. The biggest difference my family noticed between Disneyland and WDW was the attitudes of people. They were much grumpier, and sometimes downright mean, at Disneyland during our 3 days there than any of our 11 trips to WDW. One old man pushing his elderly wife in a wheelchair even made a couple with their cancer-stricken daughter leave the handicapped section of the parade route at Disneyland!

I liked how the Small World ride at Disneyland started outside. The biggest difference my family noticed between Disneyland and WDW was the attitudes of people. They were much grumpier, and sometimes downright mean, at Disneyland during our 3 days there than any of our 11 trips to WDW. One old man pushing his elderly wife in a wheelchair even made a couple with their cancer-stricken daughter leave the handicapped section of the parade route at Disneyland!

We found it to be opposite--I thought that Disneyland was more friendly than MK in general--I never once have had a bad experience there. I always thought the humidity at MK got to the staff and made them cranky. But since we live down the road from MK, we only go off-season when more crochety retirees are working:rotfl:. Also we've been to MK more so we've had more chances to see mean cast members. I don't know

Just got back from the annual family trip to Disneyland! We live in Orlando, but we wanted to see 'World of Color' and try out the new Grand Californian villas so we were back to the California parks this year. I think Disneyland is better in almost all ways but this thread is for comparing rides in both places. Here's my comparisons, leave yours below :thumbsup2:

DISNEYLAND--------DISNEYWORLD
Space Mountain > Space Mountain
Indiana Jones > Dinosaur (Indy is my favorite ride in the world btw)
Matterhorn < Expedition Everest
Haunted Mansion < Haunted Mansion
BTTMR > BTTMR
Splash Mountain < Splash Mountain
Small World > Small World
Tower of Terror < Tower of Terror
Screamin > Rock N Rollercoaster
Pirates > Pirates
Jungle Cruise > Jungle Cruise
Soarin' > Soarin' (cheesier queue line)
ToonTown < ToonTown Fair
Grizzly River Run > Kali River Rapids

Those are the main ones I noticed, I think most other rides are the same in both parks. Anyways, leave your lists below

I agree with your list! :)

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a question along similar lines. We have been to WDW a number of times and typically stay two weeks. Even with that length of time we still don't see everything and we are in the parks for most of the day.

We are hoping to do to DL for the first time next year. How much time will it take to do a good tour? I know it's much smaller. Also, how disappointed will we be with DL after having been spoiled by WDW?

We thought that DLR was inferior to WDW for this ride too. The main room where the crystal ball is--Madame Leota--- it's fixed in it's spot. I just looked bizarre to me, and my daughter was like "What's wrong with her head?"

Other than that, while we were there, the ride was malfunctioning quite a bit. I don't mind sitting in the doom buggy to take in all the scenery some more, but in the intro, the walls would start to move, but you'd have no commentary. It was sad

Shawn in AK

What about October thru December? There is no comparison when Jack Skellington moves into the mansion at DL... Ahh, I could live in that ride :lovestruc

Space Mountain > Space Mountain
Indiana Jones > Dinosaur *I closed my eyes the entire time on Dino!
Matterhorn < Expedition Everest I :lovestruc Matterhorn but Everest is awesome!
Haunted Mansion = Haunted Mansion
BTTMR = BTTMR
Splash Mountain > Splash Mountain *I prefer Brer Rabbit's voice at DL
Small World > Small World
Tower of Terror - Tower of Terror *can't say didn't ride at WDW!
Screamin > Rock N Rollercoaster
Pirates > Pirates
Jungle Cruise < Jungle Cruise *I liked the temple
Soarin' > Soarin' (cheesier queue line) *agree
ToonTown > ToonTown Fair
Grizzly River Run - Kali River Rapids *can't say, didn't ride KRR

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a question along similar lines. We have been to WDW a number of times and typically stay two weeks. Even with that length of time we still don't see everything and we are in the parks for most of the day.

We are hoping to do to DL for the first time next year. How much time will it take to do a good tour? I know it's much smaller. Also, how disappointed will we be with DL after having been spoiled by WDW?

One week is plenty. The parks are close together, but I doubt you will be disappointed. Many many people prefer "Walt's Park" over WDW. It feels more intimate and is less tiring.

I agree that Mickey's Phillharmagic is wonderful. But...

WDW has:
Peter Pan
IASM
Snow White
Pooh
Teacups
Dumbo
Carousel
and I think thats it for a total of seven attractions.

DL has:
Peter Pan
Pinocchio
Mr Toads
Snow White
Teacups
Matterhorn
IASM
Canal Boats
Casey Jr
Dumbo
Carousel
for a total of Eleven attractions.

I am doing this off the top of my head so I could have missed something. To me there is just so much more to do at DL and the atmosphere is wonderful. Love the Bavarian exterior look on the dark rides.

You did miss one of my favorites at each park, Alice in Wonderland at DL and Philharmagic at WDW.

I just returned from a mediocre(at best) trip to Disneyland Paris and I'm really looking forward to my next Disney trip which will be DL in September. I can add to this discussion: DLP's Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain are both better than either ones in the US. HM at DLP is good but different, not better or worse than the US. Pirates is better than WDW but the DL version is still the best. The biggest downer is DLP doesn't have a Splash Mountain or Jungle Cruise.

You did miss one of my favorites at each park, Alice in Wonderland at DL and Philharmagic at WDW.

I agree. :thumbsup2

I'd love to see Philharmagic replace the Muppets. (I loved the Muppets the first 11 times i saw them though. :3dglasses)

One of my favorite areas of DLR is almost completely DL exclusive. Alice, Toady, Matterhorn, Storybookland & IASW's wonderful topiary & theming. (Plus the sausage shop next to the PFF)

We thought that DLR was inferior to WDW for this ride too. The main room where the crystal ball is--Madame Leota--- it's fixed in it's spot. I just looked bizarre to me, and my daughter was like "What's wrong with her head?"

Not always. Often she is floating but sometimes fixed. Not sure why they go back and forth with this. I did notice when floating I could clearly see the cables which was a distraction.

I just returned from a mediocre(at best) trip to Disneyland Paris and I'm really looking forward to my next Disney trip which will be DL in September. I can add to this discussion: DLP's Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain are both better than either ones in the US. HM at DLP is good but different, not better or worse than the US. Pirates is better than WDW but the DL version is still the best. The biggest downer is DLP doesn't have a Splash Mountain or Jungle Cruise.

How was the Indy roller coaster there? And doesnt Space Mountain there go upside-down? Sorry it was only mediocre

What can I say, DLP is no WDW or DL. SM does loop at DLP, it is a very intense ride. The effects are awesome. Indy was closed this trip but I rode it 6 years ago and it didn't really leave much of an impression, kind of a boring, single loop coaster without a heck of a lot of theming. I'd much rather ride the Indy Ride at DL, a true E ticket attraction.

One week is plenty. The parks are close together, but I doubt you will be disappointed. Many many people prefer "Walt's Park" over WDW. It feels more intimate and is less tiring.

Thanks! So maybe 4-5 days would be enough then? We hope to have enough time to see some other sites on the west coast as well.

I have been going to WDW for years, and too many times to count. I love the whole place. I started going to DL about three (3) years ago, and love it just as much for different reasons. Disney thank you for coming up with the Premier Pass. Here are my favs:

Space Mountain - Space Mountain (better at DL)
Indiana Jones - Dinosaur (Indy is so much better)
*Matterhorn - Expedition Everest (It's a tie since they are two different rides)
Haunted Mansion - Haunted Mansion (It's a tie)
BTTMR - BTTMR (It's a tie)
Splash Mountain - Splash Mountain (Edge to WDW, I didn't ride at DL)
Small World - Small World (Hands down DL)
Tower of Terror - Tower of Terror (Edge to WDW, I didn't ride at DL)
*Screamin - Rock N Rollercoaster (I love RnR, and want to ride Screamin)
Pirates - Pirates (So much better at DL)
Jungle Cruise - Jungle Cruise (It's a tie)
Soarin' - Soarin' (Another tie)
ToonTown - ToonTown Fair (Somehow I like DL better)
Grizzly River Run - Kali River Rapids (Edge to GRR, but I like both)
Tiki Room - Tiki Room (I love the original version at DL)
TSM - TSM (I like Toy Story better at WDW)
Fantasmic - Fantasmic (Way better at DL)

*It is hard to compare these rides, because to me they are completely different attractions.

I remember seeing the castle at DL for the first time, and it just seemed so small compared to WDW. However, I love it now. I love both parks equally for very different reasons. WDW has things DL doesn't, but DL is Walt's original park. It makes it so magical for me. Plus, I get to see attractions we no longer have at WDW like, Mr. Toads Wild Ride. It was and still is one of the most beloved attractions for me. Of course, at WDW we have so many more parks, and a lot more to do. Everytime I ride the Finding Nemo Submarines, I so miss the 20,000 Leagues that used to be at WDW. The WDW Tomorrowland Transit Authority (People Mover) used to be so much better with the old narration. I wish they would bring back Mr. Tom Morrow!:rolleyes1 I think the fireworks are better at DL than at MK, but we have Illuminations at Epcot.

I can't wait to see the WOC!:woohoo:

Please someone let me know if they agree...... the buzz ride is way better at DL because the guns come out and you can point them...the guns at buzz in WDW are stationary and they are very hard to aim.....

My sons noticed this...we always go to DL because we live in Vegas but went to WDW this past October.... they could't get over not picking the gun up to shoot...

I agree with Buzz on the guns. Much better in that you can pull them out of the holster. I do think though that the ride is longer at WDW. Any thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter