DISNEY WORLD vs. DISNEYLAND

I agree with Buzz on the guns. Much better in that you can pull them out of the holster. I do think though that the ride is longer at WDW. Any thoughts?

Yeah DL Buzz is better because of its gun situation but WDW is a longer ride with better effects IMO. Honestly though, neither Buzz compares to Midway Mania (or if you live in Orlando, Men in Black, the best video game ride ever I think:thumbsup2). I think with Midway Mania right down the street they should replace Buzz; not only is it the same type of ride but it's also another Toy Story-theme, and Disney isn't supposed to just rehash like that

The more I've read, the more I think I'm going to like Disneyland. My biggest complaint about WDW is the shear size and the amount walking involved. Also, the heat and the time killed travelling between each park are just too much. I haven't been to Disneyland yet (well 39 years ago), but I already know that I'm going to miss Rock'in Roller Coaster. My second favorite ride in all of WDW. RR and Disneyland/CA seem that they would be a perfect fit. If DL/CA had same, I'm not sure we'd ever go back to WDW.

The more I've read, the more I think I'm going to like Disneyland. My biggest complaint about WDW is the shear size and the amount walking involved. Also, the heat and the time killed travelling between each park are just too much. I haven't been to Disneyland yet (well 39 years ago), but I already know that I'm going to miss Rock'in Roller Coaster. My second favorite ride in all of WDW. RR and Disneyland/CA seem that they would be a perfect fit. If DL/CA had same, I'm not sure we would even go back to WDW.

Screamin' is very similar to RNR coaster at Hollywood Studios. Music is played while on the ride and the ride is sooo smooth. My wife prefers it over RNR coaster.

ToonTown < ToonTown Fair

Have to admit, I don't recall ever hearing anyone prefer WDW's TTF over DL TT. I've not yet read the entire thread and you may have covered this in other posts, but I'm curious as to why you prefer Faire?

PS - If you ever get to visit while the HM is in it's Nightmare Before Xmas stage, you'll proly change your vote on that ride. I sure did...

We just got back from DL for the 1st time as a family and we loved it! We usually go to WDW as we live on the East Coast.

I thought WDW's Jungle Cruise was better but I tend to agree with most of what everyone is saying. We really liked It's a Small World. It loads outside and it has got to be twice as long. Pirates was terrific, has two drops and is also twice as long. The queue around the mansion for the Haunted Mansion was very nice but I give a slight edge to WDW.
I enjoyed Screamin' about the same as RNRC.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the Matterhorn. Wow, that can barely even be classified as a roller coaster.

I liked the Finding Nemo the Musical better than the Aladdin show though. The Genie really makes that show tick. He was great.

Though you can't really compare them, The Nemo submarine ride was a better way to get your Nemo fix than the clam shell snoozefest in WDW.

We really enjoyed World of Color but I can't say that I'd do the dinner package and wait two hours in line again for it. Once was enough.

I'm so glad we made the trip!

You did miss one of my favorites at each park, Alice in Wonderland at DL and Philharmagic at WDW.

I just returned from a mediocre(at best) trip to Disneyland Paris and I'm really looking forward to my next Disney trip which will be DL in September. I can add to this discussion: DLP's Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain are both better than either ones in the US. HM at DLP is good but different, not better or worse than the US. Pirates is better than WDW but the DL version is still the best. The biggest downer is DLP doesn't have a Splash Mountain or Jungle Cruise.

I'm really sorry that you didn't enjoy DLP. It was our first Disney experience and we loved it. Now we've been to DLR and WDW, one trip each. We still prefer DLP to DL or MK. The castle is sooo wonderful especially the dragon. ISASM is better with a delightful post ride area. The theming and details through out the park are much better than DL or MK. We also loved the Alice in Wonderland maze. The Crush ride at the studios is one of our all time favorite rides. We had dinner with the princesses with wine included. It was a truely magical time and introduced us to magic of Disney.

Love them both, but can't wait to get back to Disneyland. If both could have the French Quarter and Liberty Square it would be great.
BTMRR-DLR
Splash Mtn-DLR but with the side by side seats of WDW would make it perfect.
Space Mtn-DLR
HM-toss up, but I don't care for The Nightmare Before Christmas rendition.
Tomorrow Land-WDW hands down. Love the people mover and carousel of progress.
Toon Town-DLR
Fantasy Land-DLR, but do love Mickey's Philharmagic
Frontier Land-DLR
Pirates-DLR, rides seems longer, plus the Blue Bayou is stunning.
Also, oddly enough I can get almost twice as many days for my money coming from Washington State at WDW then flying to California.

Have to admit, I don't recall ever hearing anyone prefer WDW's TTF over DL TT. I've not yet read the entire thread and you may have covered this in other posts, but I'm curious as to why you prefer Faire?

PS - If you ever get to visit while the HM is in it's Nightmare Before Xmas stage, you'll proly change your vote on that ride. I sure did...

I dont know Toontown is kind of sickly-looking to me. I just can't put my finger on it but I just don't like being in there, while I kind of enjoy the atmosphere of Toontown Fair more:confused3

Haven't read everyone elses responses yet but here are mine.

DISNEYLAND--------DISNEYWORLD
Space Mountain > Space Mountain
Indiana Jones > Dinosaur
Matterhorn < Expedition Everest
Haunted Mansion < Haunted Mansion
BTTMR < BTTMR (but really thees two are pretty close)
Splash Mountain = Splash Mountain (i haven't been on either in years so I can't really say.)
Small World > Small World
Tower of Terror < Tower of Terror
Screamin > Rock N Rollercoaster
Pirates > Pirates
Jungle Cruise > Jungle Cruise (but I do like the extra cave part or whatever at WDW)
Soarin' > Soarin' (Never actually does it at WDW though.)
ToonTown > ToonTown Fair
Grizzly River Run > Kali River Rapids (never been on kali river)

I've always preferred DL over MK. But the list is pretty good and accurate.

There are some things that I noticed different between the 2 parks on certain rides.

Pirates - Long lines (majority of the time) at DL, no lines at MK
Jungle Cruise - Long lines at MK, no lines (majority of the time) at DL

Really? We always seem stuck in lines for Pirates at WDW and not at DL.

I agree that Mickey's Phillharmagic is wonderful. But...

WDW has:
Peter Pan
IASM
Snow White
Pooh
Teacups
Dumbo
Carousel
and I think thats it for a total of seven attractions.

DL has:
Peter Pan
Pinocchio
Mr Toads
Snow White
Teacups
Matterhorn
IASM
Canal Boats
Casey Jr
Dumbo
Carousel
for a total of Eleven attractions.

I am doing this off the top of my head so I could have missed something. To me there is just so much more to do at DL and the atmosphere is wonderful. Love the Bavarian exterior look on the dark rides.

You forgot Alice. Such a great ride.

Please someone let me know if they agree...... the buzz ride is way better at DL because the guns come out and you can point them...the guns at buzz in WDW are stationary and they are very hard to aim.....

My sons noticed this...we always go to DL because we live in Vegas but went to WDW this past October.... they could't get over not picking the gun up to shoot...

I agree that Buzz is better at Disneyland.

The more I've read, the more I think I'm going to like Disneyland. My biggest complaint about WDW is the shear size and the amount walking involved. Also, the heat and the time killed travelling between each park are just too much. I haven't been to Disneyland yet (well 39 years ago), but I already know that I'm going to miss Rock'in Roller Coaster. My second favorite ride in all of WDW. RR and Disneyland/CA seem that they would be a perfect fit. If DL/CA had same, I'm not sure we'd ever go back to WDW.

You will love being able to walk back and forth between parks. There is almost no wasted time.

California Screamin' is a blast. I prefer it over RnR because it's so much longer. RnR is fun but as soon as it starts, it seems to be over. California Screamin' doesn't have any corkscrews but it has a loop and nice launch. I love it.

We just got back from DL for the 1st time as a family and we loved it! We usually go to WDW as we live on the East Coast.

I thought WDW's Jungle Cruise was better but I tend to agree with most of what everyone is saying. We really liked It's a Small World. It loads outside and it has got to be twice as long. Pirates was terrific, has two drops and is also twice as long. The queue around the mansion for the Haunted Mansion was very nice but I give a slight edge to WDW.
I enjoyed Screamin' about the same as RNRC.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the Matterhorn. Wow, that can barely even be classified as a roller coaster.

I liked the Finding Nemo the Musical better than the Aladdin show though. The Genie really makes that show tick. He was great.

Though you can't really compare them, The Nemo submarine ride was a better way to get your Nemo fix than the clam shell snoozefest in WDW.

We really enjoyed World of Color but I can't say that I'd do the dinner package and wait two hours in line again for it. Once was enough.

I'm so glad we made the trip!

Why can it barely be classfied as a roller coaster? It is by definition a roller coaster. Not to mention it's the first tubular steel roller coaster.

Some more of my comparisons:

DL Fantasyland > MK Fantasyland
New Orleans Square > Liberty Square
Matterhorn > MK Space Mountain

California Adventure > Hollywood Studios

I understand that the Matterhorn is technically a roller coaster and an iconic part of the park. It just failed to impress me with barely any drops, surprises or adrenaline rushes you'd expect from the genre. Just my opinion.

I understand that the Matterhorn is technically a roller coaster and an iconic part of the park. It just failed to impress me with barely any drops, surprises or adrenaline rushes you'd expect from the genre. Just my opinion.

That's pretty much how I feel about Space Mountain at WDW. Well, that, plus the fact that it's insanely painful. LOL.

I think the attraction was built for the whole family. Little ones as well.

Thought of some more comparisons I missed before:

DISNEYLAND-------------DISNEY WORLD
Mulholland Madness < Primeval Whirl
Toy Story Mania > Toy Story Mania (like the carnival atmosphere better)
Non-Fantasyland dark rides < Great Movie Ride
World of Color > Illuminations/MK fireworks
Winnie the Pooh > Winnie the Pooh
Sleeping Beauty Castle < Cinderella Castle
Monorail < Monorail (more of a ride at DL)
Autopia > Tomorrowland Speedway (I think this was said)
Downtown Disney > Downtown Disney

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a question along similar lines. We have been to WDW a number of times and typically stay two weeks. Even with that length of time we still don't see everything and we are in the parks for most of the day.

We are hoping to do to DL for the first time next year. How much time will it take to do a good tour? I know it's much smaller. Also, how disappointed will we be with DL after having been spoiled by WDW?
We went to the 2 DL parks for 3 days and did not cover everything. However, I honestly believe that if you try to do/see everything at EPCOT alone it would take nearly as much time as Disneyland and California Adventure combined. If you are really into trying to do/see EVERYTHING at DL during your trip, I think you could do that in 4-5 full days (including covering Downtown Disney). By the way, going from one park to another and to DTD takes no time at all compared to traveling around WDW, so hopping is VERY easy.
Also, I don't know that you'll be disappointed by DL. It's not really worse, it's just diferent with not as much to do. However, I was disappointed when I looked down Main Street and saw this tiny little thing they call a castle:).

I agree with all the comparisons the OP made except for Toon Town. That's too bad you didn't like it. It really is a much bigger and more detailed land than at DW. Maybe because it was more crowded. I have found a lot more people go to DL's than DW's because there is more to see.

It has been a few years since DL, and I am so excited to go for 9 days this Nov. Then I can compare again!!

We found it to be opposite--I thought that Disneyland was more friendly than MK in general--I never once have had a bad experience there. I always thought the humidity at MK got to the staff and made them cranky. But since we live down the road from MK, we only go off-season when more crochety retirees are working:rotfl:. Also we've been to MK more so we've had more chances to see mean cast members. I don't know
I'm not talking about the staff, I'm really talking about the fellow park-goers. In just three days at DL I accumulated several negative stories about fellow patrons ranging from people walking right in front of us in line and when questioned they stated, "if we walk to the end of the line it will just keep getting longer as we're walking there," to a lady with a stroller just pushing the wheel of her stroller into my foot repeatedly while staring me down instead of asking me to let her by (the park was VERY crowded and I was as stuck there as her), etc. The old guy and the girl with cancer was just the worst of many examples. LA is a very "different" place...

I'm not talking about the staff, I'm really talking about the fellow park-goers. In just three days at DL I accumulated several negative stories about fellow patrons ranging from people walking right in front of us in line and when questioned they stated, "if we walk to the end of the line it will just keep getting longer as we're walking there," to a lady with a stroller just pushing the wheel of her stroller into my foot repeatedly while staring me down instead of asking me to let her by (the park was VERY crowded and I was as stuck there as her), etc. The old guy and the girl with cancer was just the worst of many examples. LA is a very "different" place...

Disneyland isn't in L.A., thankfully.

I've encountered rude guests at ALL Disney parks I've been to. I try not to let it ruin my day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter