• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland getting rid of lids for adult drinks & staws on ask only basis.

When I was a kid, we drank our pop out of a glass bottle that we had to return, our sandwiches were wrapped in waxed paper, we carried our lunch in a brown paper bag, and carried stuff we bought in a paper shopping bag. And here I am, 71 years later, still alive. Simple solutions.

When I was a kid, we drank our pop out of a glass bottle that we had to return, our sandwiches were wrapped in waxed paper, we carried our lunch in a brown paper bag, and carried stuff we bought in a paper shopping bag. And here I am, 71 years later, still alive. Simple solutions.
yes but they told us we couldn't use paper because of trees. That's why everyone has been using plastic for so many years. Neverrmind that trees are a renewable resource.

Real question.....what is used for take out food? I'm talking about soups or dishes with sauces or gravy. No plastic utensils...so if you plan on getting lunch to eat in the park, you have to plan on bringing utensils with you?

Take out containers are mostly compostable and some are just recyclable. Compostable utensles are provided for those who need them. Some restaurants will give you a discount for providing your own containers.

I keep a set of silverware, a large bowl, and a large tumbler at work for eating out. I always carry a camping spork, insulated water bottle and insulated coffee mug in my backpack when I go out.

It really isn’t that hard to conserve a considerable amount of landfill trash.

yes but they told us we couldn't use paper because of trees. That's why everyone has been using plastic for so many years. Neverrmind that trees are a renewable resource.

That change was about money, not the environment. Plastic was much cheaper. I suspect the change Disney is making also has its roots in money. Although it sounds great making it about the environment, they will save a lot of money by not providing plastic items to people for free. I'm sure Disney will still sell many nick nacks and popcorn buckets made of plastic. Difference there is they make a huge profit margin on them.

Whatever the case might be, it's much better that our society moves away from plastic. But Disney needs to have a good alternative in place prior to the move.

Last edited:

Real question.....what is used for take out food? I'm talking about soups or dishes with sauces or gravy. No plastic utensils...so if you plan on getting lunch to eat in the park, you have to plan on bringing utensils with you?

They make a lot of compostable containers and utensils (and straws!). Here in Seattle (I think?) all take out containers must be compostable. When we order takeout and finish our meal, we just throw the whole container in our food/yard waste bin. Our garbage can is pretty small because we can compost and recycle so much here.

Most plastic bags are banned here and we pay for paper at the store. It works great and isn't a big deal once you're used to it.

I suspect platic straw bans will be next in most big cities. There are good compostable ones that work for cold drinks at least!

Well i am from California and many restaurants do not give you a straw or glass of water unless you ask. Which I think is fair. If i do need one I ask and guess what they give me one.

The no bags has been around for a few years now i think in my area. I have many Disney of course reusable bags that i keep in my car. If i am shopping somewhere and i forgot my bag I use my hands or just grab a paper bag if i really need one. I am not a a big shopper at Disney but some how i end up with like 20+ bags for even the smallest trips. Last trip I would just ask for them to put in another bag i already had. I still ended up with 20+ bags :rotfl2:

I live in a town with no plastic bags, no free bags, no straws, no plastic takeout containers, no plastic utensils, and god forbid foam containers. Everything must be compostable. I find it’s been no problem for everyone to adjust.

I think Disney guests will be just fine.
Your town sounds fantastic :)

I despise paper straws! I hate this new trend but I live in CA so I’m stuck with it. On the plus side a waiter at a restaurant that we like offered me a straw made from corn syrup when I asked if they had anything other than paper. I would never have known it wasn’t made from plastic so I hope those become popular.

Are adult beverages just alcoholic drinks a DCA? What about sodas and lemonade? Not having a top would be impossible. Ironically it would just lead to more plastic consumption of the bottled drinks they sell.

I despise paper straws! I hate this new trend but I live in CA so I’m stuck with it. On the plus side a waiter at a restaurant that we like offered me a straw made from corn syrup when I asked if they had anything other than paper. I would never have known it wasn’t made from plastic so I hope those become popular.

Are adult beverages just alcoholic drinks a DCA? What about sodas and lemonade? Not having a top would be impossible. Ironically it would just lead to more plastic consumption of the bottled drinks they sell.

I agree, paper straws suck! But the compostable corn ones are pretty good. I'd be surprised if they didn't go with those at some point.

I'm pretty sure they mean and adult SIZED beverage (vs kids) and not alcoholic

It would be easy to start refilling those souvenir cups... if they have hygienic issues about it they could just use another cup... full that cho with the drink and and from that cup the drink in the souvenir cup...

It would be easy to start refilling those souvenir cups... if they have hygienic issues about it they could just use another cup... full that cho with the drink and and from that cup the drink in the souvenir cup...

I usually don't walk around with sodas in my hand and I plan to tuck a few straws in my bag for sipping with meals, so I think I'll be OK as far as that goes. But I DO love me a Frap or a Macchiato and walk around with those. That could be a problem because any Frap spillage is going to be really messy and sticky AND the spillage of a hot coffee beverage could be really painful!

I was wondering about that. How are we supposed to drink Rita's Frozen margarita without a straw? Just to play it safe, in October we will bring our straws from Arizona. :)

That change was about money, not the environment. Plastic was much cheaper. I suspect the change Disney is making also has its roots in money. Although it sounds great making it about the environment, they will save a lot of money by not providing plastic items to people for free. I'm sure Disney will still sell many nick nacks and popcorn buckets made of plastic. Difference there is they make a huge profit margin on them.

Whatever the case might be, it's much better that our society moves away from plastic. But Disney needs to have a good alternative in place prior to the move.

Those plastic items you're referencing were never "free" to begin with. They were figured into the cost of your meal purchase. Just because it isn't itemized on your receipt doesn't mean you're not paying for it.

Knick knacks and popcorn buckets aren't immediately throw away after one use like a plastic straw, btw. Might they end up in a landfill? Sure. But they're not designed for single use like utensils and straws, etc.

I am all for less waste in general, so this is no problem for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter