Disneyland getting rid of lids for adult drinks & staws on ask only basis.

I got lunch at Flo’s today and all adult size drinks were being served without lids. Straws were still available at the condiments area. I didn’t ask about getting lid so don’t know if they will give them out upon request.

This week a mom lost her mind when someone at Smokejumpers told her they had "run out" of lids and her 3-year-old dumped the drink all over herself in her stroller. F bomb was used toward the kid and the staff. By the time I got to the front of the line they had magically found lids.
There was a straw in my frozen drink at Lamplight Lounge. No straws in the dry ice drinks (non alcoholic or with alcohol). Daughter was given a water cup with a lid and a straw at Lamplight, never seen that one before, and she is 5'4" and nearly 12. We were given straws with our waters. That is standard service to me, can't imagine the effort it will take staff to remember NOT to give straws. All so silly and definitely not saving the planet! I drink out of glass without a straw 300 days a year at home, my 65 days out/vacation aren't doing much damage.

Why are people so dead set against this? I really don't get it. If your kid can't drink from a regular cup get them a sippy cup - it should fit in the 50lb diaper bag you carry in their stroller. You have doubts whether they can drink w/o a straw in their stroller? sit them at a table or bench and help them. Need straws? Buy a reusable one https://www.amazon.com/YIHONG-Stain...F8&qid=1535278555&sr=8-3&keywords=metal+straw
Too big (they are not, I carry them all the time and take no room at all)? try a travel/collapsible one.

65 days a year do not make a difference? How many people a day get straws, plastic lids, plastic bags just at DLR? If every one of them thinks the same we end up with thousands of straws each day. How many people go to DLR each year? But hey who cares? it is just 65 days and you are on vacation :dogdance:

It is not just Disney (not to mention whole states) banning plastic straws. Cruiselines are also banning them. Unless there is a medical condition I don't see why people can't just figure out how to live w/o straws.

Too harsh? Maybe it is because it is 4 in the morning and I am tired of reading about how unfair/life altering this is for some people - both here and on other travel boards. I am not a "rabid" environmentalist, but then again I am not a turtle or live in the Dominican Republic (then I really would be ;))

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/23/world/americas/dominican-republic-garbage.html

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrC5pZ.f4JbUFUANh80nIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByNDY3bGRuBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDNQ--?p=turtle+straw&vid=1696bab9adcde6df90a0b03ba87b515d&turl=https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OVT.VF_p7LPkDTcGa12gw_1535219198&pid=15.1&h=199&w=300&c=7&rs=1&rurl=https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/a-campaign-to-eliminate-plastic-straws-is-sucking-in-thousands-of-converts/2017/06/24/d53f70cc-4c5a-11e7-9669-250d0b15f83b_story.html&tit=A+campaign+to+eliminate+plastic+straws+is+sucking+in+thousands+of+converts&c=4&h=199&w=300&l=122&sigr=15s7398tk&sigt=12a4vkp21&sigi=12t2lt90n&age=1498316520&fr2=p:s,v:v&fr=yhs-prodege-prodege_001&hsimp=yhs-prodege_001&hspart=prodege&tt=b

Last edited:
Wow @tzeitel. You clearly don’t have kids or share drinks as a family at DL. We don’t bring a stroller and my kids have never used a sippy cup. Like most kids mine are excitable at Disneyland. There’s lots going on and lots to see. When we are walking through crowds people are not paying attention to anyone but themselves. My kids hate walking in the crowds. I have to worry about them getting jostled and walked into. I don’t want to worry about someone bumping into them with a drink without a lid. Or frankly someone else spilling their drink on us. Again with the crowds you can barely walk at times so this is going to be an issue.

If I’ve paid a ridiculous surcharge for a drink at DL on a hot day it shouldn’t be something I have to worry about being spilled. Like a lot of kids mine don’t always finish their drinks when we stop for a meal so they carry it around as we go.

Starbucks is going to be using more plastic with their new lid policy. Its not a sound policy change. If you are bothered that people like me are annoyed by changes that don’t actually make sense than just skip those threads.

While everyone was up in arms about the bags a couple years ago, we don't even think about it now.
I beg to differ. It's a pain in the neck to remember to grab those personal bags out of my car as I head to the store. Plus, you know how meat leaks sometimes? Not to mention the condensation of cold items in warm weather. Well, it makes for nasty, smelly bags. And I'm supposed to put new food in that bag the next time I shop? No thank you.

Wow @tzeitel. You clearly don’t have kids or share drinks as a family at DL. We don’t bring a stroller and my kids have never used a sippy cup. Like most kids mine are excitable at Disneyland. There’s lots going on and lots to see. When we are walking through crowds people are not paying attention to anyone but themselves. My kids hate walking in the crowds. I have to worry about them getting jostled and walked into. I don’t want to worry about someone bumping into them with a drink without a lid. Or frankly someone else spilling their drink on us. Again with the crowds you can barely walk at times so this is going to be an issue.

If I’ve paid a ridiculous surcharge for a drink at DL on a hot day it shouldn’t be something I have to worry about being spilled. Like a lot of kids mine don’t always finish their drinks when we stop for a meal so they carry it around as we go.

Starbucks is going to be using more plastic with their new lid policy. Its not a sound policy change. If you are bothered that people like me are annoyed by changes that don’t actually make sense than just skip those threads.
Wow (you are shocked at my response to an irrational rage of no straws in the parks?). What makes you think that I (clearly) don't have kids? Because I'm not swooning on my fainting couch at the lack of straws at DLR? I don't have a gaggle of them but I do have a kid, she has been going to Disney (both US parks) since before she was born - DH and I were both CMs at WDW when she was born and for a few years after. She has special needs and loves straws. Yet we have never had an issue when there are no straws available. Even when she was little she would just drink from a regular cup if there were no straws. We DO share drinks as a family, but all of us are able to use a regular cup. Excitable? DD has been chanting about our upcoming trip to DLR since we got back from our last one in May - every day, all day for months - no, I do not exaggerate, right now she is watching YouTube videos of Goofy's Sky School. Crowds? Then sit down and relax while having your drink instead of trying to fight your way with a drink in hand. We carry a metal water bottle on long or hot days. Do you carry a bag in the parks? Super easy to carry a metal straw or a reusable cup. DD does not drink soda - a bad habit I thankfully did not pass down to her since Diet Coke is my addiction ;) so one reusable cup is all we need. We usually go bagless in the parks, if DH is wearing cargo shorts I might have him put a metal straw in his pocket, if not then we don't use straws.

But yeah I only have one kid so I guess I don't have to throw a fit over straws. Clearly I rather have turtles without straws jammed into their heads, islands of garbage floating in the ocean, or birds with plastic in their stomachs. I actually call straws "dolphin killers".

Last edited:
We have only used reusable shopping bags in our house for about 8 years now. We started using them 12-18 months before that but it took a little while to get used to it. Eventually I got enough bags that I have them everywhere, in my house, in both cars, in my purse, etc... Plastic bags will only be allowed for about another year here and then they are going to be banned. Most people are supportive. Of course there are always those that just have issues with adapting to change. One way they have started preparing people here is a lot of store give discounts for brining your own bags, or having special sales only if you bring your bag.

I like drinking out of a straw so a little over a year ago I started bringing my own straws to use. As more places ban lids and straws I will probably just switch to brining my own cup. I already bring my own cup when I go to coffee anyway. Or better yet, when I don't want to carry an extra cup with me I'll stick to water. I started carrying a reusable water bottle in high school, 20+ years ago and thankfully never got out of the habit.

I would be fine if it wasn’t for the part about adults not being allowed a lid unless they are disabled. Anyone should be allowed to request and be given a lid.

...Oh man, think about the sticky messes around the trashcans as people throw their drinks away...

Why are people so dead set against this? I really don't get it. If your kid can't drink from a regular cup get them a sippy cup - it should fit in the 50lb diaper bag you carry in their stroller. You have doubts whether they can drink w/o a straw in their stroller? sit them at a table or bench and help them. Need straws? Buy a reusable one https://www.amazon.com/YIHONG-Stain...F8&qid=1535278555&sr=8-3&keywords=metal+straw
Too big (they are not, I carry them all the time and take no room at all)? try a travel/collapsible one.

65 days a year do not make a difference? How many people a day get straws, plastic lids, plastic bags just at DLR? If every one of them thinks the same we end up with thousands of straws each day. How many people go to DLR each year? But hey who cares? it is just 65 days and you are on vacation :dogdance:

It is not just Disney (not to mention whole states) banning plastic straws. Cruiselines are also banning them. Unless there is a medical condition I don't see why people can't just figure out how to live w/o straws.

Too harsh? Maybe it is because it is 4 in the morning and I am tired of reading about how unfair/life altering this is for some people - both here and on other travel boards. I am not a "rabid" environmentalist, but then again I am not a turtle or live in the Dominican Republic (then I really would be ;))

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/23/world/americas/dominican-republic-garbage.html

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrC5pZ.f4JbUFUANh80nIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByNDY3bGRuBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDNQ--?p=turtle+straw&vid=1696bab9adcde6df90a0b03ba87b515d&turl=https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OVT.VF_p7LPkDTcGa12gw_1535219198&pid=15.1&h=199&w=300&c=7&rs=1&rurl=https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/a-campaign-to-eliminate-plastic-straws-is-sucking-in-thousands-of-converts/2017/06/24/d53f70cc-4c5a-11e7-9669-250d0b15f83b_story.html&tit=A+campaign+to+eliminate+plastic+straws+is+sucking+in+thousands+of+converts&c=4&h=199&w=300&l=122&sigr=15s7398tk&sigt=12a4vkp21&sigi=12t2lt90n&age=1498316520&fr2=p:s,v:v&fr=yhs-prodege-prodege_001&hsimp=yhs-prodege_001&hspart=prodege&tt=b

When I go to Disneyland, it is always crowded with people hurrying from one side of the park to another. People do bump into others. With a lid on a drink, not a problem, without a lid, a problem. I have been bumped standing out of the way, by kids and adults trying to get around groups of people and seen people get their drinks bumped time and again. So, lids do make a big difference in the parks.

Wow (you are shocked at my response to an irrational rage of no straws in the parks?). What makes you think that I (clearly) don't have kids? Because I'm not swooning on my fainting couch at the lack of straws at DLR? I don't have a gaggle of them but I do have a kid, she has been going to Disney (both US parks) since before she was born - DH and I were both CMs at WDW when she was born and for a few years after. She has special needs and loves straws. Yet we have never had an issue when there are no straws available. Even when she was little she would just drink from a regular cup if there were no straws. We DO share drinks as a family, but all of us are able to use a regular cup. Excitable? DD has been chanting about our upcoming trip to DLR since we got back from our last one in May - every day, all day for months - no, I do not exaggerate, right now she is watching YouTube videos of Goofy's Sky School. Crowds? Then sit down and relax while having your drink instead of trying to fight your way with a drink in hand. We carry a metal water bottle on long or hot days. Do you carry a bag in the parks? Super easy to carry a metal straw or a reusable cup. DD does not drink soda - a bad habit I thankfully did not pass down to her since Diet Coke is my addiction ;) so one reusable cup is all we need. We usually go bagless in the parks, if DH is wearing cargo shorts I might have him put a metal straw in his pocket, if not then we don't use straws.

But yeah I only have one kid so I guess I don't have to throw a fit over straws. Clearly I rather have turtles without straws jammed into their heads, islands of garbage floating in the ocean, or birds with plastic in their stomachs. I actually call straws "dolphin killers".

Wow, please be careful when you fall off your high horse there. If you truly wanted turtles without straws jammed into their heads, yada yada, you would demand Disney to stop with all the plastic popcorn buckets, plastic toys in plastic containers, etc. Let them know to move from plastics to other earth friendly souvenirs, toys, etc.
Peace

Wow, please be careful when you fall off your high horse there. If you truly wanted turtles without straws jammed into their heads, yada yada, you would demand Disney to stop with all the plastic popcorn buckets, plastic toys in plastic containers, etc. Let them know to move from plastics to other earth friendly souvenirs, toys, etc.
Peace
I'll try to be careful - and make sure the horse is ok too ;) We have to start somewhere and straws is a pretty good one since they are one time use and too small to recycle.

I'll try to be careful - and make sure the horse is ok too ;) We have to start somewhere and straws is a pretty good one since they are one time use and too small to recycle.
I think they should make metal Mickey themed reusable ones and sell them for 19.95 ! but yes I actually think its fine. But they need to allow popcorn reusable ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter