Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys. I need your advice.

This is going to be our first time as parents at Pop (with 2 year old twins!). I have reserved a prefered pool view and I was thinking in requesting ground floor. Is the noise that bad? Or for the convenience for the stroller and the pool it is worth it? Does someone of you regret staying at ground floor? Thank you

I would rather eat at Texas Roadhouse more than any of the table service or signature dining restaurants. I think the food quality and food selection is horrible. All the extra desert parties are a waste, as I thought they might be, as people will still stand in front you. In the end, it was a learning experience, I haven't been to wdw since the 90s. I won't be going back in the next few years, but maybe in 5 years for the kids, but I will have a different plan all together.

I am sorry your trip was less than you expected. To each his own on Texas Roadhouse (one and done for me). We actually enjoyed the extra dessert parties (something I didn't think we would spend the extra cost for). Many of the restaurants we went to had decent offerings, but we mainly went to those places for the experiences (characters, shows, etc.). It had been many years since we took our own children to WDW (early 90s) so I had to learn a lot before going back with the grandchildren. These boards were very helpful in planning our trips the past 3 years. You definitely need some sort of plan. We stayed at POP last time and we would stay there again (usually stay at moderate resorts). I hope you are able to return to WDW with your children and make some wonderful memories (they [kids] grow up so fast)!

View attachment 331955

Just back from a wonderful trip!

During refurb, the bowling pin pool is a great, quiet option. That’s from this morning.
GROOVY!:)

I agree-the Bowling Pin Pool is awesome-we love the 1950s soundtrack they play there and the bowling theme is carried out amazingly-love the way the Laundry is themed to be the "bowling shoes rack"!

POP is so AWESOME!

Can't wait for Disney Skyliner-it is going to be so fun "flying" over Hourglass Lake!:)

th

Checking in tomorrow and terribly excited. We requested a room with a tub and no connecting door. Lake view if possible. We are staying 15 nights with the summer room only offer but divided into two stays (same Room type so hopefully same room). I will post what we actually get. We are bringing a swifter wet/dry mop and chlorox wipes and not getting housekeeping. Since it is two reservations I’m guessing we will have to have housekeeping the day the next reservation starts. Curious how they handle that and hope if I don’t get the $10 credit for the day of “checkout and checkin” that we get a quick housekeeping stop. We are very clean so not worried about room conditions without housekeeping. We love Pop and are excited to return. I offered my 14yr old to stay moderate but she insisted on Pop. Excited to try out the new rooms. Slightly worried about big tour groups staying there at the same time but we will be at Disney so we will keep a positive attitude cause I won’t be at home working and the kid won’t be bored at home. Oh we also will be doing our first Prime Now delivery this trip too. See ya tomorrow Pop!

Checking in tomorrow and terribly excited. We requested a room with a tub and no connecting door. Lake view if possible. We are staying 15 nights with the summer room only offer but divided into two stays (same Room type so hopefully same room). I will post what we actually get. We are bringing a swifter wet/dry mop and chlorox wipes and not getting housekeeping. Since it is two reservations I’m guessing we will have to have housekeeping the day the next reservation starts. Curious how they handle that and hope if I don’t get the $10 credit for the day of “checkout and checkin” that we get a quick housekeeping stop. We are very clean so not worried about room conditions without housekeeping. We love Pop and are excited to return. I offered my 14yr old to stay moderate but she insisted on Pop. Excited to try out the new rooms. Slightly worried about big tour groups staying there at the same time but we will be at Disney so we will keep a positive attitude cause I won’t be at home working and the kid won’t be bored at home. Oh we also will be doing our first Prime Now delivery this trip too. See ya tomorrow Pop!

I hope you have a great stay!

I will caution that negative requests (“No connecting door” or “Not in Building X” or whatever) often end up with exactly what the negative was - the assigners are doing so much volume it is easy for them to miss that “No” or “Not”. So that with the fact that I’m pretty sure there are more connecting rooms than not may mean you have a door.

I hope you have a great stay!

I will caution that negative requests (“No connecting door” or “Not in Building X” or whatever) often end up with exactly what the negative was - the assigners are doing so much volume it is easy for them to miss that “No” or “Not”. So that with the fact that I’m pretty sure there are more connecting rooms than not may mean you have a door.

Oh yea I know we might have a connecting door and even be in a shower only room. I don’t know why anyone would want a connecting door if they don’t have two rooms booked for their group though. Requests are not a given. But we have a chance of getting what we want. The only thing that will make us go back to the desk and see if there is a different room is if it is shower only. Otherwise we will be happy no matter where we are. We have been in every part of Pop except the 50’s and been happy. In fact every single hotel room has been just fine for us at Disney.

If they are not standing at the counter, there is little interaction. I did complain to the girl when I finally got acknowledged, but there is little she can do with her bosses socializing. It wasnt just the hotel, I went to sig dining and didn't have the food cooked properly, I got sick at one sig dining restaurant from the water. I immediately noticed my throat got sore, and now a week later sick I went to the ENT. When the key didn't work at my hotel after checking in, and being late for dinner reservations, I brought my luggage to lyft driver to goto narcoosies. Took an extra 40 minutes to order my food because I didn't know anything about a pin number. Had to sit on hold for 25 minutes before recalling and getting through to learn how to create a pin on my disney app. Then, of course, people stand right in front of the window blocking the fireworks. Pop did give me a free fast pass for any ride for screwing up my key. However, when I went to use it, they said they gave me the wrong color paper. In the end, I guess I didn't realize Pop century was a motel. I would rather eat at Texas Roadhouse more than any of the table service or signature dining restaurants. I think the food quality and food selection is horrible. All the extra desert parties are a waste, as I thought they might be, as people will still stand in front you. In the end, it was a learning experience, I haven't been to wdw since the 90s. I won't be going back in the next few years, but maybe in 5 years for the kids, but I will have a different plan all together.

I'm sorry your trip was a disappointment. It sounds like Disney just may not be for you.

I have stayed at POP twice and absolutely love it. I am booked again for April with 2 rooms for my family of 6. Every opinion is definitely valid though. Hopefully your next vacation is more to your liking.

just returned from Pop Century. Although this is a cheaper place to stay at Disney, I cannot recommend it. Walls are paper thin and you hear everything outside your room. From people walking outside, to running water in the room next to you. The service is pretty bad as well. When i wanted to check in, 3 managers were socializing, and I waited over 15 minutes to get acknowledged. Then the person gave me a map of the place and drew with a marker how to find my room. When I finally found my room, my bracelet didn't even open the door. I should have left right then and there. I look at this place for teenagers that cannot afford a good hotel. Let's face it, this a motel. The new refurburshed rooms scream cheaply done. The flooring is horrible. Although I did like the Murphy bed, and headboards and the HDTV, I was annoyed that the volume would be at level 16, even if i turned it off at level 2. The fan in the bathroom could not keep up with hot steam from shower and would constantly turn off. Did i mention the barn door to the bathroom? ***. And the bus was never there early enough for me to have my early reservations. I got screwed coming home and had to pay a taxi after magical kingdom. I really hated this hotel with a passion. The landscaping even smelled like manure. What a great smell when walking to your room. I was told I could get fresh towels whenever I wanted. I called one evening and was told 30 minutes. Over 45 minutes later, I did not have towels. I called and complained and I believe a security guy had delivered it. Most likely I will stay outside of disney in the future and drive in. Pop Century is a mess folks. The only thing missing to make it a complete dive is bugs inside. I suspect it won't be long.

Sorry you had a bad stay. We are just back from there and I am ready to go again.

We used buses three days and they were excellent. In many Disney trips, staying at about half of all the resorts including value, moderate, and deluxe, Pop has been my best experience with buses. This week was no exception. Our third stay at Pop and great bus service again.

I agree that the floors do seem cheap- they were already scratched (by luggage, I assume), and there was a distinct manure smell in several places in the grounds. Walls are thin. We had noisy neighbors.

But we still had a great stay. I just love the theming and the grounds and the music.

I know the values just aren’t for everyone.

There was a welcome letter in my room that had an email address of the manager to contact directly about our stay. Did you contact a manager? If not, I saved the paper and can pm you the address, if you want it.

I am also very sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay at Pop BOG Tom, maybe you should have done more research before your trip. I do agree with you and AtlantaDisneyDreamer on a few points though.

I can't stand the new flooring. It looks and feels cheap and was constantly filthy.

There is a manure smell which is not pleasant, but it is fertilizer for the landscaping.

The walls are thin, but I sleep with the TV on so it usually doesn't bother me.

The last room I had only had a shower and I like to have a tub to soak my tired feet at the end of the day. That is my only request for my stay at Pop in 2 weeks which will be my 14th stay at Pop.

All that being said, Pop Century is my absolute favorite Disney resort! If they sold DVC for values I would buy into Pop in a heartbeat! I love the big, bold, Disney theming. The bus service is the best I have ever experienced having stayed at deluxe, moderates and values. The only thing I would change if I could would be I wish there were some rooms with balconies. I just love having a balcony, but it's not worth the extra money and lack of theming, for the small amount of time we spend in our room to switch to a deluxe just for a balcony.

I also understand that values are not for everyone, but Pop is definitely for me!

BOG Tom, I hope you have a better experience on your next WDW trip! Maybe try a club level deluxe resort, a VIP tour and only do the regular dining plan. The deluxe dining plan is a LOT of food and a HUGE time sucker if you want to enjoy a lot of attractions. Get a good, reputable Disney planner to help you plan our trip and customize it to fit your desires. I'm sure any of the Dreams Unlimited agents would be glad to help you.

Is it possible to get fresh scrambled eggs at the food court? I know eating low carb at Disney is almost impossible but I'd like to at least keep my breakfast as low carb as possible. I saw there's a fresh omelet station but I don't like omelets in the morning. How hard would it be to get a spinach, tomato, mushroom and eggs scramble?

Is it possible to get fresh scrambled eggs at the food court? I know eating low carb at Disney is almost impossible but I'd like to at least keep my breakfast as low carb as possible. I saw there's a fresh omelet station but I don't like omelets in the morning. How hard would it be to get a spinach, tomato, mushroom and eggs scramble?

The scrambled eggs are usually plain, and already made and in a serving pan. The omelets are build your own, so it would be a simple thing to order a spinach, tomato, mushroom omelet (you don't have to add cheese or anything else you don't want), and then simply cut it up... You could ask them if they would do that but scramble it in the pan; don't know if they would or not, but wouldn't hurt to try. I eat low carb and if I don't want a full omelet then I just get a side of scrambled eggs.

This is going to be our first time as parents at Pop (with 2 year old twins!). I have reserved a prefered pool view and I was thinking in requesting ground floor. Is the noise that bad? Or for the convenience for the stroller and the pool it is worth it? Does someone of you regret staying at ground floor? Thank you

I would say it depends on how much you are bothered by noise.

We were on the 2nd floor last week and could hear lots of footsteps above us. The footsteps were quite loud. Kind of wish we had requested top floor.

We had a stroller and it was easy to push it to the elevator every day. The elevators never had a long wait.

The pool will not open until at least 9, and the soundtrack will start up then. It doesn't close until 11(Hippy Dippy closes at 11, Bowling Pin closes at 10) in the summer (hours will be shorter in fall and winter). If you plan to sleep before close or after opening, I would think the soundtrack alone could keep you awake. We stayed once in the 70's section (top floor) and at 9 am the soundtrack for that area would wake me up. It was fairly loud, but it didn't bother me since I needed to get up anyway and I love the music at Pop. If you have a preferred room pool view, you will probably hear pool noise from whatever floor you are on.

Personally, I think I would rather have a quiet room (top floor away from pool and facing outward toward lake or landscaping) and walk a little farther, but that is really a matter of what is priority for you: Experiencing less noise while you are in the room, or walking less with a stroller.

The scrambled eggs are usually plain, and already made and in a serving pan. The omelets are build your own, so it would be a simple thing to order a spinach, tomato, mushroom omelet (you don't have to add cheese or anything else you don't want), and then simply cut it up... You could ask them if they would do that but scramble it in the pan; don't know if they would or not, but wouldn't hurt to try. I eat low carb and if I don't want a full omelet then I just get a side of scrambled eggs.
The scrambled eggs I usually see being dished are less than appealing to me and I like mine freshly done. You're right, it wouldn't hurt to ask, I just don't want a full portion of omelet, it's just too much food for me. Thank you!

And I cannot comprehend why Pop Motel is considered a good value. It's a pig with lipstick, folks.
Sorry,but you lose all credibility with me when you call Pop Century "a pig with lipstick".

And how many "Motels" have you stayed at that had:

Pools shaped like A Flower and a Bowling Pin
A 4 story tall Jukebox
Lobby "Shadow Boxes" with amazing memorabilia from the 1950s,1960s,1970s,1980s,1990s
Huge Arcade
Huge Food Court with multiple Stations
Room Delivery Menu
Gorgeous lake
3 Laundries
Merchandise Shop
Caricature Artist
Pool Bar
Hair Braiding Station
Nightly Movies by the Pool
Lush landscaping
Themed Music for each resort section
etc.,etc.?

To call Pop Century a "Motel" and a "pig with lipstick" is very misleading.JMO

The scrambled eggs I usually see being dished are less than appealing to me and I like mine freshly done. You're right, it wouldn't hurt to ask, I just don't want a full portion of omelet, it's just too much food for me. Thank you!

You're welcome, and I totally get what you are saying. I usually try to scope out if they have just put out a fresh pan of eggs to serve out of if I get scrambled... not perfect but better.

I keep getting put in connecting rooms- and I don’t want them. I can hear everything our neighbors say through the connecting door. I know a lot of people seem to want them, but It would seem they aren’t that hard to come by, since I keep getting them and don’t want them.

My husband same the same thing! He said I’m 99% sure that we always get put in a room with a connector door!

We're here now, in the 60's section with a lake view on the top floor. Every time we walk by those rooms we think how loud they must be! There is music most of the afternoon at the pool and in the evening the movies are right by the pool, plus the noise from people constantly walking by. I wouldn't recommend it.

Spouse and I are at WDW at least eight times a year, and aside from the Contemporary, our favorite resort is Pop.

We have never found the staff less than attentive, helpful, and friendly.

As for noise (and I'm pretty sensitive to noises), the only thing we hear is the happy sounds of kids and families enjoying themselves. We love it.

We had a newly refurbished room last week, and there was nothing "cheap" about it to our tastes. The new flooring was great.

We love Pop, and we especially the new rooms.

But it's clear it's not for everyone.

I'm assuming the rooms don't have microwaves, but what about a coffee maker? The website doesn't say. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter