DLP is a Disney Bargain even for Brits

With all due respect it's a no brainer!!!!

Florida everytime!!!!

Was that for a no brainer?

How many of you regular WDW folks ever tried Disneyland in California. Where money is not an issue, to me that is the no brainer. Better weather. The best MK style park. Nicer scenery and people.

I agree :goodvibes i love Disneyland Paris (even when it is chucking it down with rain :rotfl: )

funny, I have actually gotten wetter more often in WDW. I think in the 5 weeks I have spent at WDW I have been wet every day bar 3 (and those 3, we were drenched with sweat due to aweful humidity).

At DLP out of 49 trips, I think I have been wet 6 days.

Never been to California, but will do a costing next time i plan, but Paris is a defo no!!! Too many French:worship:

Never been to California, but will do a costing next time i plan, but Paris is a defo no!!! Too many French:worship:

Well, if you look at the finance table in the blog, you will see the costings. This is based on flights from London to LAX with British Airways (flights to California are cheaper than Florida currently). Coach transfers with Greyline Tours - 2 adults and 2 kids. Staying in the Disneyland Hotel (though for the ultimate, I recommend the Grand Californian - imagine if Wilderness Lodge and the Grand Floridian had a love child and stuck it at the gate of the park). The DL is ok, but feels more like the contemporary. If on a budget, Howard Johnsons and the Candy Cane Inn are excellent deals.

These pricings factor in 5 days worth of breakfast, lunch and dinner (using the California equals to the Mara, Flame Tree BBQ and Le Cellier for again 2 aduls and 2 kids). Also I have factored in a meal at Goofy's Kitchen and a Fantasmic Dessert buffet as a special treat.

While there are only 2 parks, DL is chock full of attractions, nearly double the Mk in Florida has. And then an easy drive away are Magic Mountain (for coaster fans), the original and real Universal Studios), San Diego Wild Animal Park and San Diego zoo (inspirations for DAK), Sea World, Legoland, and Knott's Berry Farm. Also great beaches, shopping, museums and galleries, great mexican and chinese food due to the large populations. And if can be combined easily with trips to the mountains, forests, desert, San Francisco, Vegas or even Mexico.

Personally, the only reason to go to Florida is DAk, EPCOT and Kennedy Space Centre. Everything else is higher quality in California (IMHO).

BTW - we did do 2 weeks last year at the Marriott Vacation Club quite happily - several days of DL Paris, Champagne Tasting, Medieval Provins, Parc Asterix, Paris, as well as a trip into Paris, some golfing and a wonderful message at the SPA. Who says you cannot have 2 weeks at DLP.

Without wishing to be rude, what you've described as a two week holiday there would not appeal to me at all, other than the visit to DLP, there would be little else that would appeal to my girlfriends 11 year old daughter either.

In Florida, I am going to have all on trying to get my girlfriend and her daughter out of WDW to sample Universal, Seaworld, Aquatica and Busch Gardens, and we're going for two weeks. The value for money we get in America, means that any extra potential cost in getting and staying there, is quickly rendered redundant by savings elsewhere, as well as the overall holiday experience.

I'm glad you enjoy DLP so much, but it's horses for courses, we all like different things, I'd never rate DLP over WDW, however much of the hard sell you give! ;)

I've just taken the time to read your blog. On the whole it's well written (well, apart from the persistent use of an apostrophe in the possessive pronoun, "its") and you make some very good observations. However, it's also littered with factoids (check the definition) which, as a "savvy European Disney fan", I find highly irritating. The most glaringly obvious indicator of a lack of research is the assertion that "so few Europeans ever talk about Discovery Cove". It's regularly reported that Brits make up by far the greatest number of visitors to DC - maybe as high as 75% (quite remarkable when you consider that we represent less than 2% of total visitors to the Orlando area). Some Europeans clearly have plenty to say about it. ;)

Orlando is the vacation capital of the world. No amount of conjecture alters that. The responses you've received here clearly debunk your claim that "The savvy European Disney fan will opt for Paris, Anaheim, or maybe even Tokyo". Disney fans don't come any more savvy than us UK DISers.

I've just taken the time to read your blog. On the whole it's well written (well, apart from the persistent use of an apostrophe in the possessive pronoun, "its") and you make some very good observations. However, it's also littered with factoids (check the definition) which, as a "savvy European Disney fan", I find highly irritating. The most glaringly obvious indicator of a lack of research is the assertion that "so few Europeans ever talk about Discovery Cove". It's regularly reported that Brits make up by far the greatest number of visitors to DC - maybe as high as 75% (quite remarkable when you consider that we represent less than 2% of total visitors to the Orlando area). Some Europeans clearly have plenty to say about it. ;)

Orlando is the vacation capital of the world. No amount of conjecture alters that. The responses you've received here clearly debunk your claim that "The savvy European Disney fan will opt for Paris, Anaheim, or maybe even Tokyo". Disney fans don't come any more savvy than us UK DISers.

::yes:: :thumbsup2

Personally, the only reason to go to Florida is DAk, EPCOT and Kennedy Space Centre. Everything else is higher quality in California (IMHO).

Been to LAX, Vegas, San Diego, Anahiem etc and visited the parks last 2 Octobers. Personally prefer Orlando parks, Sea World was very poor in SD all open seating with no cover for shade. While some things are better in Cali there are many things better in Orlando, traffic over in Cali is a nightmare, a dream in Orlando.
Cali I could list highlights what to do, Florida I could write a book.
After 18 visits to Orlando can't wait to go back and already have trip 19, 20 and 21 booked within the next year, Another West coast trip? maybe but not high on our list.
France:rotfl2: Sorry thats just my reaction if anyones says France to me.

Can't all like the same things, Florida for me.

I`am sory but you are not right London is the top eropean city in terms of visitor numbers
I respect that you like DLP but please get you facts right
Paulh

How about these:

do you work for a markiting firm pushing DLP?
London has been top city destination for a long time,in mony receved by visitors as well
Paulh

Here are 2007's figures:

1 France 75,500,000
2 Spain 48,200,000
3 Italy 41,200,000
4 United Kingdom 25,200,000
5 Germany 19,000,000
6 Austria 18,000,000
7 Poland 17,400,000
8 Hungary 15,600,000
9 Greece 12,500,000
4 months ago
Source(s):
http://www.aneki.com/visited.html

First it is worth mentioning that Paris, the capital of France, represents world's number one tourist destination. Back in 2002 more than 76 million people around the world paid a visit to France and each year the capital of France serves as a tourist attraction that yearly gathers over 30 million visitors.

According to statistical data here are the world's most visited tourist destinations:

(international tourist arrivals)

http://bizaims.com/articles/tourism/Paris+World's+Most+Visited+City+Leisure+and+Statistics.html

"Berlin, of course, is already becoming a European leader in tourism. With a record 15 million overnight stays in 2005, Berlin has become the third most visited city in Europe after London and Paris. Tourists now spend almost €3 billion a year in the German capital."

Spiegel.de (ok, this could be an either or, but still shows greater visitation than Spanish sites)

So who needs to do their homework Paul?

We went to Paris last year for 4 nights and had a great time. I think 3 days is longer enough to do every thing on offer. We even managed to do an afternoon in central paris, which the kids loved. I'd happily go any time. The only down side was the trip on the coach to and from the airport. The rubbish and litter every where was a disgrace. The graffiti was intresting.
I love Florida, not just for the theme parks and attractions but the wild life and habitats. Where else, could you park your car and nearly step on an Aligator, turtle or Armadillo. An amazing place, I'd love to stay and not come back.

We went to Paris last year for 4 nights and had a great time. I think 3 days is longer enough to do every thing on offer. We even managed to do an afternoon in central paris, which the kids loved. I'd happily go any time. The only down side was the trip on the coach to and from the airport. The rubbish and litter every where was a disgrace. The graffiti was intresting.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think DLP is perfect either. Far from it. Just simply that with the way the economy is going right now, this is a perfect time to capitalise on DLP bringing more people in.

I get it, some people love Florida (I do not). Some people love all these theme parks being in easy reach (it will be interesting in Dubailand has the same pull - I am a little cynical due to again the prejudices/loyalty). for my money, I would rather go to California or Tokyo. But that's just my take really.

What is telling is how much heat this has conjured. And also that most people opting for Florida are not staying in the deluxes by the look of things. People are either DVC owners, or opting to stay value/mod/off site. This was a like for like comparison of hotels.

I am not denying that if you do not have children, or need to buy a lot of clothes, then the US can still work out well. But with the shoot up of fuel and baggage handling costs by BA and Virgin, well it was worth another visit.

Sharing my hypothesis, I actually thought it would be a closer run race on costs.

I went to DLRP early Dec 06 - (cheap period) for 5 nights. I stayed in the HNY (delux) and flew from the north. I paid £1600. My youngest was a week off turning 3 so she was free in the hotel/park but I had to buy a flight.

I've booked for 09 - end Sept (cheap period) staying 14 nights POFQ (moderate). The cost for this including tickets is £3200 - this includes a free child place. If like DLRP the tickets were included this would be approx £2500.

I think the fact DLRP includes tickets saves keeps the price competitive.

I think for myself the compassison was not for the two disney resorts but for a 2 week beach holiday against Disney Florida. Last year's 2 week holiday to Spain cost £2000 so it doesn't seem much more - it's the park tickets that make the biggest difference.

I've been to WDW a couple of time (prior to kids) but one tip I did get from here before going to DLRP was to treat the parks differently and not to compare and this was exactly what I did. As a result I loved DLRP for what it was and would not hesitate to go again but I would only see this as a short break (albeit expensive) NOT a holiday.

How about these:

First it is worth mentioning that Paris, the capital of France, represents world's number one tourist destination. Back in 2002 more than 76 million people around the world paid a visit to France and each year the capital of France serves as a tourist attraction that yearly gathers over 30 million visitors.

According to statistical data here are the world's most visited tourist destinations:

(international tourist arrivals)

http://bizaims.com/articles/tourism/Paris+World's+Most+Visited+City+Leisure+and+Statistics.html

"Berlin, of course, is already becoming a European leader in tourism. With a record 15 million overnight stays in 2005, Berlin has become the third most visited city in Europe after London and Paris. Tourists now spend almost €3 billion a year in the German capital."

Spiegel.de (ok, this could be an either or, but still shows greater visitation than Spanish sites)

So who needs to do their homework Paul?

I think you are taking this way too personally! Can we all just accept that some people prefer DLP and some prefer WDW, I will never be convinced that I should spend a week in Paris instead of 17 days in Florida however I accept that some people do not agree. :goodvibes

i was bored at DLP after spending a day there, the 2nd day we spent at the hotel. prices are still too much
Florida all the way for me.:thumbsup2

I think you are taking this way too personally! Can we all just accept that some people prefer DLP and some prefer WDW, I will never be convinced that I should spend a week in Paris instead of 17 days in Florida however I accept that some people do not agree. :goodvibes

Oh no, I'm cool with that. People do indeed have different tastes. What annoys me is when I hear "get your facts straight" when I already have.

This is like a ps3 v xbox 360 thread on another forum i go on :lmao

:goodvibes

I agree, I like both and WDW is a great holiday and DLP is a great short break for us.
We are just going to WDW this year as I want to have a special holiday with my sister before she goes to uni, My sister is not as into Disney as me so will get bored at DLP for a week so Orlando offers something for everyone with the different parks and shopping.

In January I am going to DLP to celebrate my DD birthday, she gets to go on her favourite rides, have a character meal etc and DLP is perfect for this as she gets the Disney experience for her birthday which she would not have without going to DLP, it would be impossible for us to go to WDW in January due to cost and time. we are only staying for 3 nights though.

Next year we are also going to WDW, I love the epcot area, it is one of my favorite things about WDW so we are staying at Yacht Club for two weeks, this is my dream WDW holiday and I can't wait.

sometimes I will go to DLP over WDW as my DBF will not go to WDW or DL CA at all. He says there is no point when DLP is only an hours flight away.

OK, I have done my own (tongue very firmly in cheek ;) ) comparison. I've used rack rates for hotel rooms and non-discounted prices for the other items. The cost, though, is irrelevant. Which is, of course, entirely my point.

Picture2-2.png

UKDEB: Disneyland Paris does actually have an onsite golf course.

We love Disneyland Paris. It's no WDW, but it's a wonderful short-break destination. The Disneyland Park is, in my opinion, a million times nicer than Magic Kingdom in WDW - the castle and theming is absolute perfection, and many of the rides are better than their WDW counterparts (Pirates, BTMRR and Space Mountain are just three examples). What's more, it has the Disneyland Hotel. Nowhere else can you sleep virtually within a Disney theme park; it's a gorgeous hotel with excellent service and an absolutely unbeatable location. Despite our love of WDW, one of my best Disney memories is from spending NYE in Disneyland Paris and, at 1am, walking down Main Street USA back to our room at the DLH with a glass of champagne in hand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter