Do we really need the cursing on the Falcon and Winter Soldier?

This. I see a lot of "I wish I could watch this show with my kids but I don't want them to hear the swear words" comments and all I can think is...THAT'S the part you don't want your kids exposed to? :confused3

And this. They're not swearing for shock value. It's appropriate for the characters and the situations. And it's not like they didn't swear in the movies.

Exactly! That part was much worse than a curse word here and there. They haven't even used the F-bomb yet. My 10-year-old had more to say about that last part than any words that have been said.

Speaking of context, I never said what you're implying I said. As long as the appropriate rating is used, I really don't care.

Why does it matter who is more intelligent? Absolutely there are "intelligent" people who curse. Do you curse to show off your intelligence? Is that what it is? Do you curse to shock? Do you curse simply because it's a habit (or just the way you talk)? Have you (general) thought about WHY you curse?
I curse bc golly gosh darn it just does not convey the amount of irritation I want it to convey.

Oh. Please allow me. They do not only state the rating on but they explain the rating right? So people read that to make a decision. The type of violence and amount of swearing is carefully constructed to achieve the rating. You are allowed one f word. I think it might be 2 now, otherwise it gets put into R.

My point is: Would the PG-13 not have been achieved purely by the violence? Do you think that any portion of the movie-going public looks at the rating to see if there is swearing? "PG-13 but not swearing? not interested!"

That may be true lol. I never have gotten the mom voice down very well. But a well placed F bomb gets the attention it needs every time

My point is: Would the PG-13 not have been achieved purely by the violence? Do you think that any portion of the movie-going public looks at the rating to see if there is swearing? "PG-13 but not swearing? not interested!"
Yes. That is my point. Many parents look at why it has the rating it does. In fact we all often check Common Sense Media as well to get even more info. I have kids of all ages and we check for a variety of reasons. Like I don’t want to go to a movie that has nudity it with my teenager only because it’ll make me feel uncomfortable. And my 7 year-old can see lots of pg-13, but I wouldn’t let her see the Quiet Place or the 6th Sense (both pg-13). It would give her nightmares.

Conversely. A movie with swearing can be more appealing. In the old song it was “Hey Pumba, not in front of the kids”. Now it’s important that every g-rated movie says butt and has a fart noise in it. 😂

So yes, they market the f-word.

if no one cared about swearing this thread wouldn’t be 6 pages long. 😂

Last edited:

The ratings absolutely are a marketing ploy. Marvel and Star Wars movies are PG-13 today but would have been PG 20 years ago, especialyl Star Wars. The intensity level didn't change, but the perception now is different and PG-13 is the sweet spot that guarantees the widest audience. Adults don't think it's too kiddie, and kids think it's pretty adult. Even Disney movies used to always be rated G, but now they are PG and almsot nothing is rated G except very pre-school aimed things. Sometimes a Pixar movie will get a G as they can defy categorization. Disney want's these PG and PG-13 ratings and will make sure the tone is appropriate to get one. If a Star Wars or Marvel movie came back from the MPAA with a PG, they would probably change it.
Yes! I remember when Disney only did G movies. They were known for it, and it was appreciated by many and they knew that and they owned that demographic and still do. They invented Touchstone pictures to go PG as to not damage the Disney brand. And Pirates was their first PG-13 and it was a big deal. But yes, it was all decided in a boardroom on how to hit retain demographics. You could say they invented wholesome PG-13 (took PG movies and barely turned them into the PG-13 rating).

I’m looking at my post here and seeing that I am just saying exactly what you just said. 😕I should have just thumbs upped your post. 😂

I watched Weird Science as a kid. I survived.

Yes! I remember when Disney only did G movies. They were known for it, and it was appreciated by many and they knew that and they owned that demographic and still do. They invented Touchstone pictures to go PG as to not damage the Disney brand. And Pirates was their first PG-13 and it was a big deal. But yes, it was all decided in a boardroom on how to hit retain demographics. You could say they invented wholesome PG-13 (took PG movies and barely turned them into the PG-13 rating).

I’m looking at my post here and seeing that I am just saying exactly what you just said. 😕I should have just thumbs upped your post. 😂

Well, you're right, but the MPAA standards also changed some. They now give PG-13 to movies that would have gotten PG before, like Star Wars. They really didn't change the tone of those movies by much - maybe one cou;ld argue that Rogue One is bit grittier than others, but it's still pretty tame. In the 80's, before tehre was PG-13, PG movies could have a LOT in them. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was one movie that helped shift that as it had some rather intense scenes.

Wait...the first episode with the helicoptors over the canyon scene? That was an action-palooza! I loved the first two episodes, but have generally disliked the third and fourth.

I found the 1st 2 okay...and I did not like #3 and #4...right now, the series gets a C+ from me, and is a big disappointment, especially compared to Wandavision (which exceeded by expectations)...

I found the 1st 2 okay...and I did not like #3 and #4...right now, the series gets a C+ from me, and is a big disappointment, especially compared to Wandavision (which exceeded by expectations)...

I was really likeing the first two, but 3 & 4 took a majore downward turn. It can still recover, but I'm not feeling it. Conversely, WandaVision only got better as it progressed, with maybe just a little bit of a rushed ending.

I was just about to say the same, but more to the argument of action scenes vs dialogue-laden scenes. The show follows a similar tone as those movies, which had many breaks in the action in order to focus on character building- only the show allows for more drawn-out pacing. Of course being a show they are a little forced to follow a certain structure, like ending each episode out with a cliffhanger or some significant moment to lead up to next episode.

The swearing is no concern for me, but I can understand if kids zone out during moments like Bucky speaking with his therapist or Sam talking to his sister. Some of the politics going on in Civil War was probably not so interesting for kids who just wanted to see superheroes smash eachother's faces at the airport.

***BIG Side Note! I'm betting the Power Broker is going to be someone we're familiar with in the MCU, or at least some big name in the comics.

Power Broker is a "named" villain in the Marvel comics...

I don't see the big deal, Movies have ratings--as a parent, it's my job to see why a movie has a particular rating. Usually, they put it on-screen at the start, but even if they don't, you can easily find out online. Don't like the language? Don't watch. Don't like the violence? Don't watch. Don't like the sex scenes? Don't watch. MY choices for my kids might be different from yours, but who cares?

I have been watching the Falcon and Winter Soldier with my kids. We love the movies and love the new show but it seems gratuitous to put the swearing in.

As Cap would say: “Language!” 😂
This thread would be 70% shorter if people would read my original post entirely and reflect on the fact that it’s the gratuitousness that is what I find to be the issue.

This thread would be 70% shorter if people would read my original post entirely and reflect on the fact that it’s the gratuitousness that is what I find to be the issue.

You mean it would be 70% shorter if only people who agreed with you replied.
I read your entire post. You don't believe the swearing belongs in the series, others feel it does and they have shared their reasons why. I happen to agree with them, reflecting on what you said doesn't really make any difference.

You mean it would be 70% shorter if only people who agreed with you replied.
I read your entire post. You don't believe the swearing belongs in the series, others feel it does and they have shared their reasons why. I happen to agree with them, reflecting on what you said doesn't really make any difference.
Well, I never said it doesn’t belong. I guess I’ll give you that my rhetorical question in the header implies that, but the body of the post really just says it’s purpose is gratuitous, and not that it shouldn’t be there or that I am against swearing. I don’t even say I don’t want my kids to watch people swear, or that I think violence is ok and swearing isn’t. Of course it has mostly become an argument amongst others, so maybe it wouldn’t be shorter at all so I’ll give that to you.

But just between you an me, I posted this thread sarcastically anyway. I don’t really care about the swearing or it’s purpose. 😂And then once it got all this attention, I started eating it all up. My posts are rather quite comical, and I even mention the very fact that I did it sarcastically earlier in the thread. But I’m going to keep going all the same. This particular post that you replied to had the purpose of stirring the pot more. It’s too much fun. If it starts getting boring, I’m going to say something like superheroes wear tights and are for kids, but not yet. Please enjoy. People don’t read the middle of the posts anyway, so let me just finish by saying...

But what about the children. Is anyone thinking about the children!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter