• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do You Carry Cash?

I always have a little cash on me normally. When I'm at Disney, I always have enough cash to cover a meal if the magicband system goes down. And it has many times.

But doesn't the teller need to see your client card (aka debit/ATM). Or how do they get your account information?
If I go to a teller they ask for my client/ATM/debit card and you swipe(or insert) and they bring up your account.

You write your account number on the withdrawal/deposit slip. At least that's how it worked years ago when I had to cash in and deposit some savings bonds into my checking account.

You write your account number on the withdrawal/deposit slip. At least that's how it worked years ago when I had to cash in and deposit some savings bonds into my checking account.

I remember doing that pre-1990s. So people carry around a bank book with their account number rather than a bank card?

Or you have it memorized. I’ve written mine down so often I know it by heart like my social security number. And of course, it’s printed on your check if you are writing a check for cash.

I remember doing that pre-1990s. So people carry around a bank book with their account number rather than a bank card?

No, you don't need a bank book. You might be asked for a photo ID for a large withdrawal, but usually the account number on the slip is sufficient.

My stepdaughter works at a bank. A surprisingly large number of people wait in line to deposit checks, write checks for cash, or withdraw cash from savings accounts.

Well you leave something new everyday. Wonder how common this is in Canada? Any Canadians not have a ATM card?

Well you leave something new everyday. Wonder how common this is in Canada? Any Canadians not have a ATM card?

Not a Canadian and no ATM Card or Debit Card. Cash and CC are my means for payment.

I don't understand this. Up here your debit card = ATM card = bank card. Without a debit card how do you access a ATM? I'm not certain it's even possible to have a bank account without a bank/debit card in Canada. I'm 50 and have had a bank card since the mid to late 80s. Bank card also become debit card since early 90's.

So are bank/ATM cards different than a debit card in the USA?

Here you have one card - you give it to the teller to bring up your account, you swipe it as debit, you insert it in a ATM, use use the number on it to access your online/app account.

Haven't seen a checkbook in well over a decade.

It's mostly the same here (except checks are still used more here than they are elsewhere). I rarely need cash, but my bank lets use login on the ATM using Apple Pay. I have a debit card, but it lives in the safe at my house and never sees the light of day. I prefer my credit card take the fraud risk rather than my debit card that is attached to "my" money. The only time I use actual debit card is when I travel to abroad and use it to get currency (and then it's not my primary bank).

I have my bank account number saved in my password app on my phone. If for some reason I need to actually go to the bank (which is, essentially, never - or at least only once every several years), I tell them the account number and show my ID. I don't think I've ever had a "bank book".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter