Does anyone remember the Empress Lilly?

mtakac

Mouseketeer
My Mom gave me a postcard of a boat called the Empress Lilly in Walt Disney World Village. The description states "come dine on the Empress Lilly, an authentic replica of a 19th century riverboat. Her fine restaurants and lounges boast royal cuisine and music."

This postcard has to be from a trip we took at least 15 years ago. What was Walt Disney World Village? Where was it located? Does the Empress Lilly still exist?

My husband and I are going to WDW on Oct 16th and it's fun to remember being there as a kid and to see how WDW has evolved. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have very fond memories of the Empress Lily! I have eaten many "grown up" meals there as a kid and young teenager. During one particular visit the waitress told us that we where "having too much fun" because we didn't stop laughing throughout the entire meal. Must have been some Disney Magic in the water! It is now Fulton's Crab House, but I have not tried it since the change.
I used to love Disney Village before it was expanded and updated into the whole Downtown Disney areaa. Not that it isn't nice now but I have nostalgic memories of when it was a charming and quaint lakeside shopping area.
Ahhhh, progress.

---Andra
What did she say? She said, "Italian, Thousand Island, or Vingairette".
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Loved Empress Lily. Used to have one of the best character breakfasts on property. At night there was steak house and fish house restaurant along with a 'red garter' type sing-along. Banjo...old time music.

I, too, loved the 'old' atmosphere. Like it now, but miss the quiet atmosphere and unique shops. I like it now, too, but it is more disney generic with less character. There used to be a restaurant (now Cap'n Jacks and before Chef Mickeys) that had the greatest quiet lounge with kick appetizers. I used to leave DH there to have a brew and watch the tube and off I'd go shopping.

I miss some of the old things, too. But I also remember a time where the only thing that was open after 7:00 pm were the lounges in the hotels. Boring!!!

I found this at http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/id64.htm :

The following were located on the Empress Lily:

Fisherman's Deck: Seafood creations served in a stylish setting with a view of Lake Buena Vista.

Steerman's Quarters: Open for dinner only. It was one of a select group of Florida restaurants that served certified Angus beef.

Empress Room: Open for dinner only. Served Continental, four-star award-winning cuisine.

Baton Rouge Lounge: Enjoy cocktails and appetizers while enjoying some music and comedy.

http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/ is an interesting website.

I have very fond memories of The Empress Lily, it was the very first character breakfast our family did and we all have very wonderful memories of it!

I had my first character breakfast on the Empress Lily. It was great, even though Donald stepped on my foot and I was too shy to say anything! ouch!

Chef Mickey's used to be in the Village Marketplace, too. They had really good kid cocktail drinks.. I can't believe how well I remember these meals from 11 years ago!

Oh how I miss the Empress Lilly!
I never did fully understand why the change to Fultons--a major step backward, IMHO.

This was out first character meal also. My daughter was glued to her fathers head and goofy seemed to fine this amusing. She is 18yrs old now. Wow thanks for the flashback.

UR took the words right out of my mouth--I'm not sure why they changed from the WONDERFUL retaurants there to Fultons. (Although we've not had a bad meal at Fulton's either) It happened right about the time they would have been adding the Rainforest, and bringing in a lot of leased space on the West Side--getting away from the all owned by WDW concept.

Anne

Have many pictures at the character breakfast aboard the Empress Lilly. In the late 80's, it was the only character breakfast that had Donald Duck (at least that's what we were told by CM-Donald Duck was DS's favorite character).

Originally posted by Uncleromulus
Oh how I miss the Empress Lilly!
I never did fully understand why the change to Fultons--a major step backward, IMHO.

Totally agree!

I am also one who misses the shops and atmosphere of the Village in the "old days."

My college internship with the WDWCP was on the Empress Lilly! ::yes:: I did everything from work in the kitchen as a pantry chef, seating hostess, bartender, cashier & character breakfast hostess! (This was also my 1st character breakfast with Mickey & the Gang!! :lovestruc I still love the photos from it!) During my off hours, I would volunteer to work OT at Pleasure Island. It was all such a fabulous experience!! I miss working at Disney soooo much. If it weren't for my dh "having" to work in NC, we would be there! (ok, so he would be kicking & screaming the whole way, but TOUGH!!! :crazy2: )

Wow, this is a flashback moment! I, too, had my first Character Breakfast on Empress Lilly for my 16th birthday! 2 of my fondest memories of Walt Disney World Village (we called it Lake Buena Vista) were the Live Nativity at Christmas and the Master's Art Festival in November each year! One of the best art festivals EVER! ANyone else remember? Would have been 20 years ago! Yikes!

I also had my first character meal on the Empress Lily. I also miss "the old" Lake Buena Vista Village. It sure was a might bit quieter there back then, with some really wonderful shops. A nice relaxing afternoon.

But things were a bit different back then. I remember when EPCOT first opened, my parents required us to dress up to eat dinner in the World Showcase restaurants. My memory may be failing me, but I think it was actually required by the restaurants. Then again, maybe it was just my parents trying to clean us up after a day in the parks. Boy... you don't see that anymore!

My husband and I went on our honeymoon to WDW (15 years ago - our friends and travel agent thought we were nuts - and now it has become a huge industry for WDW!).
One of our favorite meals was dinner at the Empress Room on the Empress Lily. I had stuffed lobster tails and we had these unbelievable souffles for dessert. The service was wonderful. I can even remember the decor. At the time, it was the "finest" place in WDW. Every time we see the "Empress Lily" (which we still call it) we get nostalgic.

DisneyDill,

We went to Disney world on our honeymoon 17 years ago. Our friends and family thought we were nuts. Last year my brother got married and guess what, they went to Disney world on their honeymoon. One of our fondest memories from our honeymoon was having dinner at the Empress Lilly. It was so wonderful that I don't want to spoil that memory by going to Fulton's because it just isn't the same. Does that make sense?

ncmvp,

I know exactly what you mean. We have never tried the Fulton crab house either. I hear it is good, but it just wouldn't be the same! Are we saps?:rolleyes:

On our honeymoon, I made my husband promise that we would go to WDW every five years - luckily, our kids love it so much we go every other year and this year, just by good fortune, we are going three times! And, just so happens (ha!) that we will go in the spring for our 15th anniversary. :hyper:

Here's to the Empress Lily!!

I remember having a great character breakfast there when I was a teenager. I still look back at all those pictures with fond memories.

During my very first WDW vacation, we dined in the Empress Room with friends who were vacationing with us. Everyone had a ball (and the meal was wonderful, too). I believe we were in a small room by ourselves (there were seven of us). During that vacation, there were only two places in all of WDW where one had to dress for dinner: the Empress Room and Victoria & Albert's. Today, there is only place where one must dress for dinner: Victoria & Albert's. But I wish the Empress Room was still around. Even though I hate dressing for dinner, I would gladly do so to dine there again. By the way, one of our servers from the Empress Room has been working at Victoria & Albert's for years. We've been lucky to have him serve us a few times, and every time we see him, my husband whispers in my ear, "Remember the Empress Room?!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter