Does anyone remember the Empress Lilly?

Never dined there when it was the Empress Lilly, but have as Fultons. We really enjoyed it, it was one of our best meals at WDW. Can't wait to go back for the lobster tails! ;)

Honeymoon - 1985 - we dined at the empress room. EXCELLENT gourmet meal. I remember DH surprised me with corsage from the disney florist delivered to the room before going out to eat that night. Service was wonderful.

We not enjoy fultons .. we stop there every trip...have to have our alaskan king crab claws!

I really enjoyed the Empress Lilly. We are moving in a couple of weeks so I started packing and I came across a picture of us with Mickey at the Empress Lilly character breakfast. It was a lot of fun, a great atmosphere and good food.

I know everyone is enjoying reminiscing about their Emperess Lily experiences. But I will add this one, only because at just the mere mention of ELs, my DH and I are immediately thrown into fits of laughter...well, me more than him.

We were staying on site at one of the resorts for our billionth time. (We lived in South Florida at the time and made frequent trips) On one of our outings to the "Marketplace", on a whim, we decided to eat at EL. Partially because it was closest to where the bus dropped us at that time, and partially because we were in a torrential downpour. We went into EL all dressed up and soaking wet. But got seated in a beautiful little two-top near in the round part up against the white banister. Dinner was perfect. It was quiet, we were cold, but drying off. We had delicious meals. My DH had fish, you know with the lemon half in a cheesecloth to catch the seeds. And on the side was a gorgeous serving of mixed vegetables, including broccoli, carrots and cauliflower. We chatted as we ate, enjoying the atmosphere. As my DH took a bite of vegetables, an off-expression came over his face. He obviously had a mouthful of food, and couldn't decide whether to swallow or spit. He looked from me to his veggies and back again. He took one more good chew, just to be sure...and immediately SPAT out his mouthful of food. It seems that while eating his veggies, he had the sneaking suspicion that one of his veggies was not a veggie. Giving it the benefit of the doubt, he took one more big chew and was assured...it was a big, wet, SOAPY, white napkin. At this, we were done with dinner. It was the grossest, funniest thing ever!

We laugh about it to this day! Ahhhh, our memories of the Emperess Lily!!!!!!!!!!! (Funny, we have never tried Fulton's...wonder why???)

Dinner at the Empress Lily was the highlight of our Honeymoon in January 1981. I remember being so impressed that my new husband even knew about such an elegant place! I ordered something safe, but DH had wild boar - imagine that! The waiter had a fancy broom for clearing the crumbs off the table (I'm easily impressed) and we were treated like royalty.

The man at the next table ordered a bottle of fine wine that cost more than our whole meal - he had a long discussion with his waiter (or the master of the wines, I suppose) before making his decision of course. To this day, when I look over an extensive wine list, I think of him. I hope he is still enjoying the many subtle intricacies and offerings from the vineyards.

I too miss the Village and the quiet atmosphere strolling through the shops. What I would give for a chance to return to Disney World with just my DH and relive those wonderful memories. We've been back with our sons, and I have gone with nieces and nephews, but never just the two of us. I'm working on him.

Maddle

This was a wonderful dining location and I truly miss it. When they announced the replacement to Fultons I thought it to be such a loss.
A little trivia: The location is not a real paddle wheel boat but an actual building built in the water to look like a boat. It was named after Lillian Disney, Walt's wife and everytime she came to WDW she would dine aboard the Empress Lily. It was her favorite.

Oh YES! The EMPRESS was absolutely the best in every way! The decor, the food, and the great entertainment in the Baton Rouge Lounge. Remember the "chicken man?" The Empress Room was so like V & A's but the tables were divided from each other by magnificent etched glass panels (wonder what ever happened to them). The Fisherman's deck was lovely in pale blue and cream. Yes, many fond memories. My husband and I were lucky enough to be the first two 'paying' customers during a soft opening when we just walked by and asked when they were opening. We were told we could come in then for lunch! So we had lunch at the Steakhouse. It was great! And now FULTONS - the only place at WDW I ever felt 'ripped off.' Mediocre food, mediocre service - and man talk about strip down the decor!!!!!! What a HUGE loss! Some older CM's have told us that the former employees of the Empress still meet once a year for a reunion . Isn't that neat?

And don't forget Steermans Quarters--red leather type booths, lots of wood panels.
I looked at some pics we have of the Empress Lilly, and then looked at what's now there.
Sad---.

As much as I enjoyed eating at the Empress Lily, what I miss the most is Walt Disney World Village........now expanded to DTD. I loved the Lake Buena Vista Art Festival that was held there each year. The only art festival I enjoy more is the Coconut Grove Art Festival (the only place I've found out-of-this-world conch salad......and totally Atkins legal :D)

We also dined at the Empress Room on our honeymoon, and it was great! In addition to having wonderful food and service, the setting was so small and intimate. I don't think anything that now exists at WDW is like it.

Our first character breakfast as a family was at the Empress Lily back in 1985. I still have the picture with Minnie hanging in our family room.

::MinnieMo

We also had our first character breakfast at the Empress Lily. We still have the framed picture we got taken outside before going in. Took the pricture of us and then make it look like we are standing there with Mickey and Donald and gang. We all had a great time there.:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I never ate there, as I wasn't a seafood/steak person, but I always enjoyed the fact that such a grand restaurant was named after Walt's wife, Lillian Disney. When they changed it to Fulton's, I felt it was a big slap in the face to WDW's founder and his wife. That's alright, it will always be the Empress Lilly to me.:D

I wish I had photos from my meal aboard the Empress Lilly, but sadly I do not. I just surfed the 'net in an attempt to find some interior photos of the restaurant, but I basically struck out. I will post links to some of the things that I did find in my quest:

Empress Lilly character breakfast ticket
Empress Lilly character breakfast button
Empress Lilly recipes
Photo of area from August 1977 (restaurant opened in May 1977)
Exterior photos of Empress Lilly from December 1981
Another exterior photo of Empress Lilly
Write-up and photo regarding Empress Lilly
More Empress Lilly history

My older daughters experienced their first character meal on the Empress Lily with Pluto licking their cheeks as a greeting. That must have been in 1986, a long time agao! As a matter of fact, my sister gave me a Disney mug that says "Sister" on it , that has pictures of only the MK, Epcot and the Empress Lily! I NEED to use this mug every morning for my coffee. (It's one of those Disney rituals I follow every morning. I'm afraid if I don't use the mug, my luck for the day will not be good. I guess it's just a silly superstition on my part!):rolleyes:

Our fondest memories of the Lilly are of many a fun, rollicking evening in the Baton Rouge Lounge, listening and singing along with Denny Zavett and The Riverboat Rascals.

Frank

Originally posted by vonpluto
Our fondest memories of the Lilly are of many a fun, rollicking evening in the Baton Rouge Lounge, listening and singing along with Denny Zavett and The Riverboat Rascals
Now that's a blast from the past...and a great memory too!!! I always remember their definition for EPCOT -
Every Person Comes Out Tired!!

We too spent our honeymoon at WDW and we stayed at what was then called the Buena Vista Palace. We could see the EL from our balcony and construction on Pleasure Island was just beginning. 3 years before we married I sent my then
new-boyfriend a postcard from the Disney Village Marketplace telling him about the beautiful riverboat that was there. We've made many trips to the World since then and we too miss the quiet atmosphere of what we still call the Village.

Thanks for the great memories!

I'm enjoying this thread and everyone's memories. Our honeymoon (March 1994) memory of Empress Lily is the dinner that never was. I purchased a special dark green velvet dress to wear to EL but my groom only packed t-shirts, shorts and jeans. I didn't know back then that some men need help with their clothes. I still have that dress but it has never been worn because it was a size 3 and after two kids I am not.

So many memories. I remember watching Danny Zavat and the Riverboat Rascals. It had been a very cold day and he said "Did you ever watch people at the beach? It's only tourists there. It's too cold for the people in Florida. The ones on the beach are from Michigan. The ones in the water are from Canada." We had such a good time. I remember dining in the Empress Room. We wanted a nice diner, but I never expected such posh. There was real gold leaf on the walls, and a harpist playing as we entered. I remember after our salad, they brought us each a dish of ice cream. I thought "I didn't order this"? When I enquired, he said "It's sorbet, madam. It's sorbet to clean the pallat." I didn't know my pallat was dirty!
We also have a good memory of the character breakfast. It wasn't a buffet. Also, the chharacters were introduced as they came. The hostess would say"everybody cheer for Minnie!" or "Look everyone. Here's Goofy!" After a while we stopped paying attention. Thats when Pluto bounded into the room, climbed up on my husband's lap, nearly knocking him off his chair. We laughed so hard. We knew then to pay attention when a new character was announced.

I ate in the Empress Room with my parents when I was probably about 13. Along the lines of taking kids to V&As, my aunt was horrified that my parents brought me to that dinner. Truth be told, the menu was a bit too sophisticated for me. I remember getting lobster since it was the only thing on the menu that I was really familiar with, but it was in a mustard sauce and I didn't eat it - wasted a $43 lobster :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter