Downstairs at Lamplight Lounge - inside or outside? And why?

Interesting to read all of these reports. I've experienced the gnats at Disneyland - but not while I'm eating - walking at dusk on our last trip (late June/early July) you could see them in masses by all of the lights. You saw people swatting them away. Luckily I wasn't trying to eat at the time.

I thought it was odd checking in at Lamplight Lounge that your party, when you have a reservation, cannot wait inside in the AC/out of the sun. They told me I had to wait there for when they call me (no texting me?) but my family had to wait outside - was just very non-Disney to me.

When we were leaving I asked a CM about the different seating options. She said those couches outside downstairs were intended for walkins as an alternative to the bar and upstairs, and you would get the more limited menu there, too. Disappointing to hear they are seating dinner reservations there.

This sheds some light on our very awkward check-in at LL! When we got there, we went to the front doors to check-in. We are a party of 5 with our oldest son being in a wheelchair. We were greeted by 3 cast members and were told to go inside and "check-in at the desk". We did see 2 lines of people waiting outside but I thought they were there for non-reservations and upstairs seating. When we got to the desk, the 2 hostesses were clearly annoyed that we were there. We were met with, "Who sent you in here? What did they tell you? and What desk?". My 18 year old and my 12 year old went to look at the picture display by the stairs and were told that they couldn't stand by the stairs because it was "too dangerous." We were told where to stand inside, while we waited for our table. There was one other family sitting in the chairs in the lobby of the restaurant, but that was it. I honestly didn't think too much of it because we had an 11:10 reservation (the restaurant opened at 11) and we were so excited to be there! Now I am thinking that the lines of people were guests with reservations. Maybe they didn't have us stand outside in line because of my son's wheelchair? It was a strange interaction, but we were so absorbed in the artwork and atmosphere in the restaurant that the whole greeting process didn't really phase us too much.

I'm so shocked reading such varied reports about this restaurant. Like I mentioned in another reply, the first day it opened, I was there, and I did notice the disorganization with the check in process, but overall, the service was really great. I went twice within a week of it opening. I have other friends that have gone there as well and they also have said they had a great experience and are planning to go back.

I hope they get it together so their reviews are more consistent! Whoever was in charge of designing it did an amazing job. I would even say this restaurant is what won me over about Pixar Pier

I'm so shocked reading such varied reports about this restaurant. Like I mentioned in another reply, the first day it opened, I was there, and I did notice the disorganization with the check in process, but overall, the service was really great. I went twice within a week of it opening. I have other friends that have gone there as well and they also have said they had a great experience and are planning to go back.

I hope they get it together so their reviews are more consistent! Whoever was in charge of designing it did an amazing job. I would even say this restaurant is what won me over about Pixar Pier

I agree. I thought the food, service and ambiance was great however IMO Lamplight lounge suffers from not having a brand new venue built. They really should leave the outside downstairs lounge area for walk-ins. When I made a reservation, I expected to dine on a dinning table. It was really uncomfortable dining on what felt like a coffee table.

I would give it another shot, but only sit on the inside. I would honestly take a walk in reservation upstairs rather than outside downstairs.

I think where they are messing up is trying to do both a restaurant and lounge, but the seating type is all mixed. Instead of being separate entities like it was before, they have the same people trying to coordinate the lounge walk-ins with the full meal reservations. I think they would have done much better if it was all lounge with one appetizer menu.

Or they could redo the "downstairs dining area" and one side of the lower patio so that it is all regular tables and seat the full meal reservations there. People who have booked a reservation for a meal should not be expected to eat a burger or salad leaning over a knee-high coffee table. Then let the people that are there for just drinks and appetizers enjoy that lounge-type seating. That would ensure people with reservations are always placed at a table (or they can request the lounge type seating when they check in).

Oh, and adding retractable sun shades on the patio would definitely help during the summer.

I have faith that they will work out the kinks based on customer feedback though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter