DVC Dining Plan

Tiger926 said:
People make a good point about having to eat more food than normal, but from what I see at Disney, people seem to snack all day long, plus eat big breakfasts and so if you adjust to eating smaller breakfasts and not so many snacks, that would take care of the appetizers and dessert. For us, we eat very small breakfasts in our villa, moderate lunch (usually table service, but now with plan, we'll be eating counter service - healthy options only as we don't really eat burgers/fries) and a good supper. We have a small snack throughout the day and one before bed, but we do drink lots of water in the July heat.

It is important to use your own dining habits, but we see so many people spending a ton of money on snacks, which includes pop (park goers seem to love to drink pop, something we never do) - because they eat counter service fast food which doesn't seem to fill people up as well as eating more healthy options. I guess I'm wondering if some people spent less on their snack budgets, they could then apply this to table service options and there then wouldn't be such a difference in using DDE as opposed to DDP. For us, DDP saves money as eating one table service meal alone could easily take care of most of the daily credit and we don't even eat that much food, but the prices are high and that's what makes the DDP a good deal for us.

Just a thought, Tiger

We buy water at Publix or Target and byo into the parks. I can't see spending $2.50 on one bottle of water in the parks. We rarely buy snacks, occasionally a box of popcorn or something like that- definitely not daily. We will buy an occasional treat as well- pastries in France or Norway, etc. Even with all that, we still do not average over $38/person for the four of us. As for fast food not being healthy, there are plenty of healthy choices at the fast food restaurants. There are many things to choose from besides burgers and chicken strips. We eat quick service a lot and I never even touch a burger, pizza, or chicken strips.

The Dining Plan credits are valid from the time you check in until midnight of the day you check out.

Best wishes -

Just because you have a 2BR reservation in hand does not automatically mean that there will be a studio and a 1BR available for you to reserve in its place. Your cancelled 2BR ressie will go to whoever else is looking for a 2BR and you will be in a separate "line" for the 1BR and studio.

Best of luck in switching your reservations.

I know for us it would be a big saving..plus I love the fact that tax and tip are included...We will be using it on December trip...good luck getting ARD's...by then they really will be hard to come by.

La2kw - After numerous trips to Disney we've determined that bringing water into the parks in July does not work. They are warm well before we even enter the parks, plus, they are very heavy. After having our DD hospitalized while in Florida very far from home in Canada with severe dehydration and other serious illnesses, we have decided that cold water in the parks is a necessity and not a luxury. Our daughter has dehydration issues, so we must make sure she has cold water to drink at all times. We do buy water for drink in our villa at Target, but we buy it in the parks at all times.

Regarding counter service, I am noticing that there are more healthy options, which is why we are giving the dining plan a try. In regards to snacks, we don't buy many snacks either as popcorn in July is silly, plus ice cream just makes you more thirsty and we don't drink pop either. We are going to use our snack credits for water and maybe an ice cream a day as a treat for our DD. You are lucky if you aren't spending $38.00 a day and still eating healthy, hopefully they'll be even more healthy choices by July as we haven't eaten counter service in a few years.

Tiger

I have used the meal plan in the past and have saved quite a bit of money. Granted we don't eat all of that food all the time...but it's nice to have the choice. And the one thing that we did was have them pack the dessert to go. And the we can always eat it later. We were very excited that they were adding it to the DVC. That was one of the questions when we bought into the DVC that we were worried about. I love that I don't have to worry about money for food. It's already paid for. And when DH and I went for our anniversary alone in 2003 we went to Wolfgang Pucks, the waiter asked if we were on the plan and we said yes. Well he told us of a dinner that they had that was filet mignon and a 1lb lobster tail (not whole lobster). The price was $100 just for the meal. Well I have to admit that I got that meal. I ate my appetizer, most of the filet and all the lobster tail. Then I had my dessert packaged to go and we ate it later that night at our room. And if you think about it if you go to just one buffet they are usually 25.00 a person, that's most of the price for one day. It sounds like a lot of food, but after walking all day and we still walk more afterwards, it stays with you. Unlike eating a small meal and then eating again later. And I must admit...I have never gained weight while being at Disney. You get so much excerise walking that you don't need to worry about it. And besides they are adding so many healthy choices too. I know that we will be using it for all of our trips.

Although I haven't yet done the math on the dining plan, I'm taking a solo trip in August, and I'm planning on getting the dining plan, doing the math, and deciding which is better. Can you tell I'm a math teacher?! This actually sounds fun to me, and I look forward to doing it. One thing that will really make a difference to me as to whether or not it's worth it is whether the BCV Marketplace starts taking the dining plan and especially if the gelato is considered a snack!

Thanks for the info, since we were thinking of splitting a stay. I want to make sure I understand-so if we stay 7 nites at OKW, then 4 at BCV, we must use all 7 of our TS credits during the OKW stay. Or if we stayed 2 nites at SSR, then 9 at OKW, we couldn't go to 2 signature dining resturaunts (the ones that use 2 credits each) in those 2 nites at SSR, unless we paid cash at one of them. This is what it sounded like, am I right?

I think it totally depends on your family's eating habits. We are a family of 2 adults 2 children. The dining plan for our 10 day stay is just over $970.00.

One of the things that is as important to me as the savings, is the convenience. I've noticed a couple of other posters mention this, but it is really a huge plus for us.

Not having to budget for food, not having to worry how much it is going to cost and not having to use a CC or Debit Card for every meal. Just give em your key card, and you're done! Voila! It is wonderful. On top of the savings it is a must do for us!

We also like to eat and eating out is a big draw for our family. Since we've been several times, scheduling meals around parks and activities is very easy and actually better for us.

I don't think I will ever go without the dining plan again, it was absolutely wonderful.
BTW...we did have food left over, but we treated a family behind us in line to a free lunch, they were thrilled!

We often visit w/ my mother who would not be in our room, but would be with us at meals.
What happens when only some members of the party are on the Dining Plan?

Does BCV have lock-offs?
How would that work-if you had a 1BR w/ a Studio loc-off. Can one-half of the room use the DDP?

I have a question:

11 persons (8 adults and 3 children) going to WDW on DDE? How do they pick the one person that will not be on DDE? Is it the lowest cost person, highest cost person? Do they let you pick?

Thanks! :worship:

After all of the silly, duplicative and repetitive threads from folks who didn't bother to read any of the dozen other threads wanting to know the details of the dining plan -- AT LAST, a positive contribution!

I knew it would happen sooner or later.

Laurajean1014 said:
I have a question:

11 persons (8 adults and 3 children) going to WDW on DDE? How do they pick the one person that will not be on DDE? Is it the lowest cost person, highest cost person? Do they let you pick?
No idea. My guess is that the waitstaff would let you pick in hopes it would influence the size of his/her tip. I bet most DDE users tip 20% - the amount of the discount.

Best wishes -

if you don't get seating at table for all 11 and need 2 seperate tables you can use both your cards 1 at each table. tell CM to do 2 checks and you sit at one and if married DW sit at the other.

if your ressie is for a 2 bedroom then all guests will need to pay for DDP if they use it or not

If your reservation is for a one br and a studio, be aware that you may have just that, a one br and a studio, that are not connected, not a two br. You could request that they be connected to make a two br, but that is not always possible, depending on how busy the resort is.

Just wanted you to think of that!

The Luau is one of those meals that "costs" 2 Table Service 'coupons'. It might be better to just pay cash, especially if you have DDE.

Simba's Mom said:
Thanks for the info, since we were thinking of splitting a stay. I want to make sure I understand-so if we stay 7 nites at OKW, then 4 at BCV, we must use all 7 of our TS credits during the OKW stay. Or if we stayed 2 nites at SSR, then 9 at OKW, we couldn't go to 2 signature dining resturaunts (the ones that use 2 credits each) in those 2 nites at SSR, unless we paid cash at one of them. This is what it sounded like, am I right?

1. Yes..if you stayed 7 nts @ OKW you'd have to use all your credits (TS, CS, and snack) by midnight of the day you check out of OKW (regardless if you're going to another DVC resort). When you check into BCV you will then get your credits for THAT stay. If you were staying 11 nts at 1 DVC resort they wouldn't expire until you check out, but since it's a split stay (with 2 res. #s) it's treated seperately. So if you were planning on using most of your credits for TS meals the first 7 days and cooking for the last 4 days..you couldn't do that.

If you were to stay 2 nites at SSR and 9 nts @ OKW..during the 2 nts at SSR you would only have 2 TS credits so on the DP you would have to pay for one of them OR wait until you got to OKW. Plus with split stays you get a different room key card (the DP info is on the card) for each resort.

Personally, it would be wonderful it it was all pooled together because it would be a whole lot less confusing!
HTH

JIM MIA: you're too funny! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter