DVC Dining Plan

Did the math, and think it's a really good option for our fam of 5!

And understand this is coming from someone who hasn't done CS since 1998, and usually eats half her meals in the villa or from a small cooler! ;) I should also note that I did the math on the DDE and it does NOT appear to be a good thing for us.

So why does it DDP work for us where DDE doesn't?

DDE requires an AP - but our fam has oodles of old PHP passes and goes to WDW once per year and prefers to do a park all day one day... then not at all the next. Not exactly conducive to a DDE. And while I may have a libation or two, DH rarely ever drinks alcohol, so no savings on that high-markup item. We usually only make one big long trip to WDW every year or 2. Just not conducive to DDE savings.

As for the DDP - using the first 7 days of our last trip as an example, we spent about $1100 on food (and that includes groceries for meals cooked in the villa, as well as any snacks ans such.) Using the DDP, our cost is about $952 for the same # of days. A modest savings. THis includes using 2 TS for a HDDR meal. For kids, you are actually coming out ahead on HDDR - typically a kid's price for HDDR is $25. But two days of a kid's DDP is only 21.96, so even if you then use both the TS for HDDR, you still get 2 CS and 2 snacks per kid - plus pocket change to spare - relative to the usual pricing! Not too shabby, sez I. PLus - our DS will be classified as an "adult" by WDW this year, and that means meals will cost more than the 1100 I forecast based on last year's receipts. (The DDP calc is based on 3 adults and 2 kids).

Our only dilemma with the DDP - I sure do wish we could "trade up" some CS for TS, LOL. We love so many of the TS dining places, it's always so hard to limit oneself!

We figure we will use 2 TS for HDDR, and do our best to stretch out what we buy. All I know is, from this mom's perspective, not having to do a bunch of grocery shopping (and better still - not having to then do something with the left-overs afterwards!) and cooking is worth its weight in gold! WHen our kids were much smaller, we used the kitchen more because the kids needed that downtime to not have to practice restaurant manners 24/7. And it was great getting them something to eat BESIDES a chicken nugget or burger, LOL! Our kids are old enough now, however, to be excellent little diners and also adventurous enough to find something enjoyable on virutally any menu. I think that helped in the decision process.

I am intrigued, however, by all the comments in this thread about too much food and wanting a plan that lets you "order what you want". I did my calcs based on what we actually ate, and from that, determined we could get the same stuff for less moeny with the DDP. THe fact that we get more food than what I calculated doesn't mean we have to eat it, LOL. I think that's just an issue that varies from person to person with their individual spending habits. Me, I'll order what I want, whether it's 10 bucks or 1. But DH - I could totally see him feeling he should get the best "bargain". I plan on stretching those CS out quite a bit - perhaps getting 2 of our 5 daily CS in the morning and splitting them for a group b'fast, then getting the remainder at lunch and splitting. We also will be "short" by one TS (since we plan to do HDDR) so there's a day wherein we could use a CS if necessary. And I know we will still do a fair portion of breakfasts in the room - simply because my kids wake up hungry and really enjoy their quickie breakfast in the room routine! A box or two of cereal, packets of oats and grits, some milk and a token banana or two should fill that bill nicely without much cost at all.

ANother thing I guess I had't included in my post - it sure would be nice to have a fairly clear dollar value on what you will spend for food. Great for budgeting. No worrying about tips and taxes and such would be great!

I can also see that, if you were traveling with family, it would totally do away with the whole "we'll get this meal, you get the next, who pays for what" dilemma. We often bring family with us and sometimes that finance stuff gets messy. WIth DDP, everybody's on the plan, so just fork over your key accordingly!

thelionqueen said:
BTW...we did have food left over, but we treated a family behind us in line to a free lunch, they were thrilled!

I think that is so cool! You made two memories that day - one for you, one for them! I could easily see doing that with excess desserts - hey table #3 - would you like a No Way Jose? We have one too many over here! Our treat!

What a neat gesture to demonstrate before kids, too! Tis better to give than to gorge, LOL... :goodvibes

CarolMN said:
They probably do it the same way that they do CRT. They take your credit card number, but don't actually charge the deposit. If you don't cancel within 48 hours and don't show up, then they charge your credit card. It's kind of like giving a hotel your credit card to hold a reservation.

Best wishes -

P.S. Welcome to the DVC Forum! Nice to see your first post is with us!

Unfortunately, there's a new policy at CRT beginning 2/1/06. From AllEarsNet: "NOTE: Once these changes go into effect (February 1, 2006), payment in full with a credit card will be required at the time of booking for all meals at Cinderella's Royal Table. If you do not have a credit card, the reservation cannot be made. All reservations for dining at Cinderella's Royal Table prior to February 1, 2006, will follow current pricing and deposit payment policies."

A price hike also goes into effect the same day: "Breakfast: $31.99 ages 10 and up; $21.99 ages 3-9. Lunch: $33.99 ages 10 and up; $22.99 ages 3-9.-- Dinner will become a fixed-price, set meal, also, hosted by the Fairy Godmother, who will lead the observance of special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries. You will also have the chance to have your photo taken before dining, with a photo package similar to that mentioned above offered to you during the meal. In addition, you will receive a special, unframed, unmatted lithograph (worth $50), given exclusively to diners at Cinderella's Royal Table Dinner. Dinner: $39.99 ages 10 and up; $24.99 ages 3-9."

So if I stay 5 nights at BWV in a 2 bedroom, no dining plan, then move to BCV for 4 nights, I'd assume I could get a dining plan for just those 4 nights, yes?

LOL, Brian - are you sure? California Grill and the Flying Fish are both 2 TS credit locations.
You're correct, again. That just goes to show that the folks at Disney are very good at pricing things just exactly as they should be priced, so folks are getting a good-enough deal (like, saving $15), but not so much of a good deal that it makes the decision which way to go easy. Everything is priced what it is actually worth, no more and no less.

SoCalKDG said:
So if I stay 5 nights at BWV in a 2 bedroom, no dining plan, then move to BCV for 4 nights, I'd assume I could get a dining plan for just those 4 nights, yes?
Yes and this is one of the best ways to approach the plan. You'd want to check in to BCV early, even if your room wasn't ready, and you'd then have the full day of check in and check out to use them. IMO, this works better for the first part of the stay than the second assuming you are not arriving too late.

I was wondering if they would drop days like they did with the LOS passes which had pretty much the same requirements.

Did some research over on the Restaurant Board. Posters there say that they do not charge the Credit Card if you are on the Dining Plan. (Everyone not on the DP gets charged the full price up front). However, if DP people are a no shows and don't cancel in time, the full price of the meal(s) gets charged to your card.

Those who want to be sure should give Disney Dining a call and see what the CM says about payment for those on the Dining Plan.

Best wishes -

CarolMN said:
I thought there were a lot of 2 credit TS restuarants.

In addition to California Grill & the Brown Derby, the 2 credit TS options include Artist Point, Flying Fish, Coral Reef, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Citricos, Narcoose's, and Jiko. Might be one or two more, can't remember. Also there is a surcharge for some menu items at Planet Hollywood & Captain Jack's (think it is the lobster entrees). IIRC, all of the dinner shows require 2 TS credits as well.

Best wishes -

For 2006 there is a change- Coral Reef goes down to 1 credit and CRT (all meals) goes up to 2 credits. They have the 2006 list on the official WDW website. The list on the DVC site is from 2005. Oh also for 2006, Raglan road is on and is 1 credit. :)

brivers222 said:
You bring up a question of mine... On the DDP is there a limit to the Cost of the Food you choose per meal? I.e. I see a lot of Filet Mignon is ANY appitizer, ANY Entree, and ANY dessert available to you on the plan? I just don't want to find out that once we are at a resturant we have a "special" Menu we must choose off of for each meal choice.

As I understand it (from the restaurant board), there are NO resrictions at any Disney owned restaurant. The exception to that is if an appetizer is meant for 2 people, 2 people must use it as their appetizer. I have also read many posts about CM's letting and even suggesting one person ordering a 2 person appetizer though, so I think that depends on the both the place and the CM. :)

There is no special menu. There is a FAQ thread sticky on the restuarant board that explains all of this too.

The DTD locations, not being Disney owned, apparently charge a surcharge on a couple of their most expensive items (like lobster), but you can still get them, you just have to pay a few dollars extra. There are only a few DTD TS restaurants in the plan to begin with, but all Disney owned TS ones take it.

I havent looked into the dining plan at all. Not interested in planning ALL our meals.... DDE makes us happy!!

Sorry for crossposting from the restaurant board, but I posted there and then realized that you guys may have better information on the issue.

We're going to the world again in Jan. 07 (and Jan. 08, Jan, 09..etc...~laugh~), and are going to be trying out the Dining Plan for the first time then.

At the time of our 07 trip, we'll be travelling with 6 adults, 2 preschoolers and two toddlers. The two toddlers will be 2.5 and nearly 3, and are both HUGE eaters, who would really not be satisfied picking off of other people's plates.

Has anyone ever purchased the dining plan for a child under 3? Is it allowed? I can't imagine why it wouldn't be, but I just wonder if it's happened before and how it worked out?

I understand that with regular DDP, your plan was tied to your ticket, so it would have been cost prohibitive to purchase for kids who would not normally be ticketed for admission. But the DVC plan doesn't require any particular admission media, so that wouldn't be an issue here.

~L

Just ask MS if it is OK to purchase for the toddlers - I'm sure it would be OK.

Your other alternative is just to pay out of pocket for something off the menu for them when sharing won't be enough. Remember that you can get them their own food (at no charge) at all of the buffet restaurants, so if you are planning on going to any of those, it might work out to just order (and pay) something for the toddlers when you are at the sitdowns or counter service places.

Best wishes -

CarolMN said:
Just ask MS if it is OK to purchase for the toddlers - I'm sure it would be OK.

Your other alternative is just to pay out of pocket for something off the menu for them when sharing won't be enough. Remember that you can get them their own food (at no charge) at all of the buffet restaurants, so if you are planning on going to any of those, it might work out to just order (and pay) something for the toddlers when you are at the sitdowns or counter service places.

Best wishes -

Yeah, I can't see Disney turning down someone paying them money. They just don't FORCE you to buy until they are 3. The Kids DP is pretty cheap though... A lot of peopel use the credits to do more signature restaurants and then order OOP for the kids as Carol mentioned.

you know $10.99 is cheap for a days worth of food at Disney. When I go in April my daughter will be 2 1/2. By time I pay for a snack and a kids meal at a counter restaurant I would spend $10. She has an older daughter and will want her own food and the same thinks as big sister. She'a a big girl now.
So if I can't add the plan for a 2 year old, perhaps they can change my ressie to make her 3. No harm it won't cost more since it's not a MYW package with tickets.
I will try that now.

MotherOf2Princesses said:
you know $10.99 is cheap for a days worth of food at Disney. When I go in April my daughter will be 2 1/2. By time I pay for a snack and a kids meal at a counter restaurant I would spend $10. She has an older daughter and will want her own food and the same thinks as big sister. She'a a big girl now.
So if I can't add the plan for a 2 year old, perhaps they can change my ressie to make her 3. No harm it won't cost more since it's not a MYW package with tickets.
I will try that now.

Well I added it but had to have my ressie changed and make her 3. MS really tried to talk me out of this. She was young probably didn't have kids. My 2 year old sometimes eats more than my 5 year old. It cost an extra $54.95. Now I can get her the same foods as her sister without spending alot.
By the way I'm a first time renter not a member. I will be buying my tickets at the Disney Store. Her age change won't affect me.

Mission partially accomplished; still in 2BR for 1st two nights, split last three nights. I'm on the wait list for the remaining nights, one night at a time, but even if it doesn't work out, changing rooms mid-week will not be that big of a deal (that will be our rest day; we've done it before). Plus, DDP will actually kick in as soon as we switch over in mid-week, so we'll only be without DDP for two days.

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm liking it. The wife didn't want both appetizers and desserts for everyone, but she likes the idea of us sharing her salad, and my dessert and entree.

I WILL be ordering the most expensive item on the menu! (I would have before, if I felt I could afford it).

I don't like the dining plan options for kids because you are limited to ordering from the kids menu when available. I think the kids menu offering at WDW restaurants are severely limited and boring, the same burger, pizza, mac & cheese over and over at most places, for lunch and dinner. We often order off the adult menu even for our current 20 month old (e.g., an appetizer or an entree to share with one of us) for the variety and the availability of healthier food options.

Laurabearz said:
I havent looked into the dining plan at all. Not interested in planning ALL our meals.... DDE makes us happy!!

I have to agree. I'm a planner, but not that much. I prefer the DDE as well!

Well I have to agree. We are not a burgers and fries type of family. My youngest would rather get fruit than the fries. We try to eat at counter places that offer alot of choices. Now my 5 year old loves pizza, mac & cheese and ice cream. She doean't get that type of food often, but on vacation she can have what she wants. And mom is off the diet while on vacation.
I do wish the sit down restaurants would offer better choices.
I got the plan just so my youngest could have the same choices as her sister if she wants and at $10.99 I think it's a bargain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter