DVC Technology and The Dining Plan

Although you can book a AAA discounted package with dining through a AAA TA if you use a regular TA or call Disney directly you can't add dining to a AAA discounted room rate. You can't add dining to an AP, CM or FL discounted room rate either. In general MYW dining is being used as an incentive to booking a rack rate room.

I agree we should keep the facts straight.

mom2alix said:
First off, let's clarify again that only the FREE dining plan required a rack rate room. Currently you can purchase the dining program along with your discount rate room for $35/$10 per day. I just keep seeing that come up as a reason that DVC shouldn't be eligible for the dining program and I think we should have the facts straight.

In general MYW dining is being used as an incentive to booking a rack rate room.

As eveidenced by the recent barrage of room/package discounts WITH dining (ie the YQE and YQC codes) this statement is simply untrue

What DVC members who keep saying "well we don't need the dining plan, we just want to keep our DDE" aren't saying is that the DDE card is NOT a DVC discount. Only AP holders or FL residents can get it. It has nothing to do with DVC-at all. I'm sure there are many, many DVC members who do not or would prefer not to get AP's. Maybe they have kids in school and can only go one week the same time every year, or a job that requires the same thing. I doubt all these members get AP's and that means no DDE. With 90,000 DVC members, you can not tell me that the dining plan wouldn't help many of them.
We have PAP's and the DDE card but may not get them some years if we start traveling the same time every year. We do 1 9 day trip per year and I'd love to have the dining plan option. :)

rantnnravin said:
As eveidenced by the recent barrage of room/package discounts WITH dining (ie the YQE and YQC codes) this statement is simply untrue

Sorry but the general rule is you can't book dining with a room discount. AP, FL resident and CM rates aren't eligible. AAA rates booked directly aren't eligible. Disney sometimes offers a promotion that includes dining. Free dining and now some of the codes let you get dining but that doesn't change the fact that you can't add dining to a room discount code.

Dining is offered to rack rate guests and sometimes, during special promotions, to other guests.

NMW said:
What DVC members who keep saying "well we don't need the dining plan, we just want to keep our DDE" aren't saying is that the DDE card is NOT a DVC discount. Only AP holders or FL residents can get it. It has nothing to do with DVC-at all. I'm sure there are many, many DVC members who do not or would prefer not to get AP's. Maybe they have kids in school and can only go one week the same time every year, or a job that requires the same thing. I doubt all these members get AP's and that means no DDE. With 90,000 DVC members, you can not tell me that the dining plan wouldn't help many of them.
We have PAP's and the DDE card but may not get them some years if we start traveling the same time every year. We do 1 9 day trip per year and I'd love to have the dining plan option. :)

This was my point a few posts back. The DDE isn't a DVC discount, but I don't see a hurdle as to offering the DDE straight out to DVCers without the AP requirement. It wouldn't be any skin of DVC's nose to offer it. It wouldn't have to be associated with hotels, dining plans, packages etc. A dining plan would (will) be nice, but a DVC DDE (w/o an AP) would probably be faster and simpler to get up and running. They could eventually offer both.

We got the DDE this time because of the AP discount DVCers now get - as sort of an "indirect DVC discount". We were getting the AP anyway. We'd be happy not having to get the AP on the years we don't need them and still be able to get a DDE card. And I'm sure there are lots of other members who'd feel the same way.

DisFlan

NMW said:
What DVC members who keep saying "well we don't need the dining plan, we just want to keep our DDE" aren't saying is that the DDE card is NOT a DVC discount.

Who said that? I don't see ANYONE saying that members "don't need the dining plan." Clearly the two discount programs would have different audiences. I don't see a single post here suggesting that the MYW dining plan shouldn't be offered simply because other options are available.

tjkraz said:
... I don't see a single post here suggesting that the MYW dining plan shouldn't be offered simply because other options are available.

Sorry but I think they are ... suggesting it, that is. If they weren't, why would they have anything to say about the dining plan to begin with? The only reason being, maybe, is that they are afraid they might take away the DDE discount to replace some type of dining plan. But it wouldn't matter anyway right? Because the DDE discount are for ap holders and not DVC members in general. So... if there are any posts comparing the dining plan to the DDE discount (and why its better), remember that people who maybe interested in the dining plan may probably not be ap holders.

By the way, I am an ap holder as well as DDE card holder but I definitely would be interested in a dining plan for whatever my personal reason being.:flower:

sarhenty said:
Sorry but I think they are ... suggesting it, that is. If they weren't, why would they have anything to say about the dining plan to begin with? The only reason being, maybe, is that they are afraid they might take away the DDE discount to replace some type of dining plan.

I don't see that at all. DVC isn't counting hands to see how many want MYW and how many want DDE. There's certainly no reason to get defensive over one option at the expense of the other.

The original question posed was 'Does anyone else think there is more to the problem than "technical difficulties"?' What has ensued is mostly speculation as to why the dining plan has not yet been offered.

Just because someone posts a well-reasoned argument as to why MYW hasn't been offered to members doesn't mean they are opposed to it.

tjkraz said:
Who said that? I don't see ANYONE saying that members "don't need the dining plan." Clearly the two discount programs would have different audiences. I don't see a single post here suggesting that the MYW dining plan shouldn't be offered simply because other options are available.

Perhaps not on this particular dining/lack of dining plan thread, but I have read it on others, or at least it seeemed strongly suggested. Some posters when discussing a possible DVC dining plan say they don't need it or would never use it because they have the DDE card. My point, my ONLY point is that the DDE card is not a DVC discount and DVC members are not entitled to it, unless they also happen to be AP holders. Many times in these dining threads the DDE card gets mentioned as if it's alternative to a possible dining plan for DVC members, it's not, it's an alternative for AP holders. That is the only thing I was trying to say.
BTW, I have no idea about the computer technical thing. It's not really my field of expertise. I can't even download my pictures from my digital camera, I drive my husband crazy. :)

NMW said:

We are this family mind you we go the same 2 weeks every year but by choice not because of school schedules and we don't buy AP's and have no use for the dining plan or the DDE so those perks are useless for us.

NMW said:
Perhaps not on this particular dining/lack of dining plan thread, but I have read it on others, or at least it seeemed strongly suggested. Some posters when discussing a possible DVC dining plan say they don't need it or would never use it because they have the DDE card. My point, my ONLY point is that the DDE card is not a DVC discount and DVC members are not entitled to it, unless they also happen to be AP holders. Many times in these dining threads the DDE card gets mentioned as if it's alternative to a possible dining plan for DVC members, it's not, it's an alternative for AP holders. That is the only thing I was trying to say.
BTW, I have no idea about the computer technical thing. It's not really my field of expertise. I can't even download my pictures from my digital camera, I drive my husband crazy. :)

Thank You.:goodvibes

I did hear from a cast member today that, the issue with the dining plan is solely a technical issue and not a negotiation issue with Disney Corporate or whatever they call it. I said I have been hearing that for the last year to which the cast member replied,"Tell me about it!". Still waiting. :cool1:

I for one do not understand all the confusion. If a DVC member adds the plan to thier reservation.... thier credits for the plan simply can be loaded on the room key as they are with other resort guests.

I went last summer on the free dining plan, and I loved not having to worry about anything just hand over that magic little key and be done with it. If they offer a good incentive this summer. I will again rent out my points and go on a deal. And thats really stupid.. I would rather stay at My DVC any day but I am going to do whats easy for myself and that plan was an easy way to travel.

They offer an AP discount for DVC members.
all they have to do is offer the option of adding the plan for the same $35 a day everyone else pays. If you don't want the option, you don't add it?

NMW said:
Perhaps not on this particular dining/lack of dining plan thread, but I have read it on others, or at least it seeemed strongly suggested.

Well, I'd certainly like to see those threads.

I know this was a hot topic of discussion when the free dining packages were announced. Back then, many people went so far as to imply that DVC members should be entitled to receive FREE dining "just like the cash guests."

My comments on this matter have been limited to the opinion that members shouldn't automatically assume they will receive a dining package at equivalent value to those paying hundreds (or thousands) for rooms and tickets.

If Disney's sole goal was to pre-sell dining to guests, why not offer it to ALL WDW resort guests? Why not tie it to MYW ticket sales and offer it to those staying off-site?

Personally, I think it's pretty clear that Disney is bundling services to encourage a larger purchase. If you want to buy lunch, you could pay $3 for a Big Mac at McDonalds, $1 for fries from Burger King and $.80 for a soda from 7-11. Or, you could buy a value meal from McDonalds for $4 and save some money. Disney is doing the same thing here. Buy a room (with marginal discounting available), tickets and dining package and you save money when compared to buying each component separately--potentially from other vendors.

Which Disney business unit subsidizes the cost of the bundled package isn't terribly important. All of the money is still going into the same coffers.

The fact that many people don't even save money when buying the dining package isn't terribly surprising either.

Back to the point--discussing the manner in which such a perk might be administered and reasons for its delay doesn't mean that people are rooting against MYW dining being offered. I've yet to see anyone say "we don't need the dining plan."

tjkraz said:
Well, I'd certainly like to see those threads.

Back to the point--discussing the manner in which such a perk might be administered and reasons for its delay doesn't mean that people are rooting against MYW dining being offered. I've yet to see anyone say "we don't need the dining plan."

Do a search on these boards, I dont think you will have any problem finding such statements.

DizWacko said:
Do a search on these boards, I dont think you will have any problem finding such statements.

Thank you. I know I knew I wasn't crazy.

tjkraz said:
Personally, I think it's pretty clear that Disney is bundling services to encourage a larger purchase. If you want to buy lunch, you could pay $3 for a Big Mac at McDonalds, $1 for fries from Burger King and $.80 for a soda from 7-11. Or, you could buy a value meal from McDonalds for $4 and save some money. Disney is doing the same thing here. Buy a room (with marginal discounting available), tickets and dining package and you save money when compared to buying each component separately--potentially from other vendors.

Prior to the recent package discounts and ticket restructuring, it usually WAS cheaper to buy components separately - getting a room by itself (with a discount if possible) and buying tickets from a cheaper vendor like Ticketmania almost always came in under the package cost and had fewer restrictions. I think Disney finally tumbled to the fact the a large number of guest had figured out the packages weren't the best way to go.

The easy fix for this was to to make packages more attractive, offer a cheaper ticket structure, nix the room-only discounts and put a tighter control on the use of AP discounts. The die-hard discount folks may not be happy with some of these changes, but they seems to be working for Disney.

It's also probably become clear to Disney that the option to easily add a relatively inexpensive, limited dining plan to a package draws more people. A LOT more people. The dining option was always there (we used it 20 years ago), but many guests weren't aware of it. Beats me why Disney didn't offer it in its current form sooner, and it's now limited to FOOD. The older plans could be pretty confusing - and expensive. On one plan, everything was covered, including room service and sports. On another, you got 2 credits or "Wishes" a day. You could use them for TS meals or trade 2 "Wishes" for a round of golf or other things.

DisFlan

The "system" referred to is the computer systems. As the wife of someone who worked for Disney as a software developer, the "excuse" is COMPLETELY valid. DVC is a completely seperate business entity than Walt Disney World Corporation (who runs the hotels and dining). The structure of the enterprise network running all of the computer systems is extremely complex and built upon severl differing platforms (and languages). It is not simply a matter of pushing a few buttons or writing a few new lines of code in order to make the system function as we'd wish. First, the project has to be scoped out, then approved, then budgeted, then the business analysts get to go to work trying to get all differing departments functioning on the same page, then the developers get to go to work, meanwhile, everyone has to have an idea what other differing systems are being built somewhere else that may, in some way, impact this project, then we get to test and finally release. Get off their backs! Be happy your not paying rack rate and have a kitchen!

I've controlled myself thus far, but have to jump in...I'm a major proponent of being offered the option of purchasing the MYW Dining Plan. Don't think it's a "loss leader"; like multi-day tix sitting in people's drawers unused & forgotten; a percentage of sales will be pure profit. Additionally, "joe public" isn't necessarily going to price out & select the most expensive TS meals...all patrons aren't as "into-it" as many on this board. If WDW was losing money, the plan would be cut loose by now.

The "old guard" DVC'ers champion the AP/DDE set-up & are quite vocal in musing why any DVC'er would want to use the MYW Dining - these posts have cropped up several times over the last 6 months.

Those of us who have utilized the plan are interested in it being offered, most are not looking for a subsidy, but another option. The current "buzz" is an add-on for AP holders. Whether @ the resorts thru CRO or @ DVC will remain to be seen.

As for Disney and their systems...everything is slooooooooooooooow! Took me 1-1/2 months to get a simple ticketing question answered. I love WDW & customer service is wonderful when you're on vacation, but just try to get a timely response pre or post trip.

I have to agree that it looks to me like adding the Disney Dining Plan option to DVC points reservations may not be the easiest thing to do. Although I am a new member, it does not appear that there is currently any "package" using your points to which the DDP plan could be added. Even if you can already buy MYW tickets from MS (which I think you can), this purchase is a stand alone ticket deal, not a package where the tickets are cancelled if you cancel the rest of your reservation. So there is definitely some conceptual tweaking that would need to happen to the reservation system.

Also, I understand that they are about to roll out upgrades to the DVC computer system that will allow banking your points online. To me, point tracking online would seem to be of higher priority to more DVC members than adding the DDP.

To be fair, I must admit that I cannot imagine getting the DDP unless the cost were to be cut in half or more. On our recent trip, my husband and I found that sharing meals gave us the right amount of food, and most of these meals were counter-service. One of the main reasons we like the DVC accomodations is the kitchen. We ate 1 or 2 meals a day at "Home."

One of the earlier posters pointed out that if DVC was having a hard time selling SSR due to no access to DDP, money would be poured in to make the necessary system changes happen ASAP. I think most potential buyers, however, believe that as DVC members, they will use restaurants less . For some DVC members, of course, this turns out to be true. But I think that others find that DVC membership means more trips to WDW, which means there is more time to enjoy dining on each trip.

Just my thoughts. Have a great Thanksgiving. -- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter