DVC tips for mousekeeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find when you phone for something for example they didn't leave us enough toilet tissue one time they bring it so quickly and so much of it! I don't know how they get there so quick I just put down the phone lol.

I know, right!!! lol

From a philosophical standpoint I despise tipping in general because it transfers business costs to the consumer in an end run manner. However, I'm also a rule follower so I need to know who's in a tipped position and who isn't.

It's always interesting (and a little hypocritical IMO) to see people talk about the pay grade for this position but ignore other people who serve the members and make as little or even others paid similarly who serve us in everyday life but aren't routinely tipped. Like other non tipped positions, this should be a market based approach. The market sets the pay range and those that are good at what they do have the opportunity to move up.

i suppose its a bit different coming from the UK. We have no "tipped" positions when it comes to wages. we all get the minimum at the very least. however if i went out for a meal i will always leave a tip (the amount dependent on sevice) but i won't go into a shop and leave the retail assistant a tip...who is paid the same amount as the waiter. I myself am a shop assistant (yay for the great wages i get...) so do i think it unfair that the witer gets tipped and i don't? should i stop tipping them? eh...no. I'm glad to tip, i know what its likeliving on that kind of income and working on your feet for hours on end! every one who does a good job deserves a thank you.

ok so i still wouldn't tip retail...thats just odd... for the most part we spend very little time in stores and with the assistants themselves. and ofcourse there are commisioned based jobs etc etc...

however i am an ex cm and wanted to share something with you. As a merchie (merchandise non tipped) i think i was paid $6.90 an hour. but i wasn't there to get rich i was there for the experience and the love of disney. as you all know a good CM can make your vacation! i wanted to help create great memories... i like to think i did! on a few occasions some lovely folks felt the need to tip me. ofcourse on these occasions i would refuse 3 times and then take the gift/money to my manager who would always let me keep it. the thing is its not the money that made me so happy but the sentiment behind it! one guest along with a small amount of money gave me an Alice in wonderland Pin (which i was trying to collect) That pin now has pride of place in my home and is a reminder of how we in the service industry can make people so happy that it inspires them to give something to say thank you!!! I didn't even do much for him... we had been talking and laughing at Kidcot with his kids and he asked about Balamory (a scottish kids show) we chatted about it and i said it is filmed in an actual town in Scotland...but could not for the life of me remember the town! anyway he and his family left and later that day i remembered the name of the town. A few days Later i am working in the tea caddie. its quite busy and i am just finishing a conversation with one guest when i recognise one of the guys kids "oh" i squeel and ask the guest i am talking to to forgive me as i shout "Tobermorey" over his shoulder in the direction of the man and his kids... luckily he turns round and recognises me. i finish my conversation and transaction with the first guest (who is chuckling away as i explain my outburst) and the man and his kids wander over to say hello. he couldn't believe that i had remembered him! but his kids were so pleased that i had. I like to think that that family still remember this story as well.

ok thats a bit rambly but my point is remember the impact that you can have on a CM is just as great as they may have on you. and please don't feel the need to tip but i fully encourage that when you do find a lovely CM (no matter what position they work) remember their name then whenever you are in DTD go to guest services and ask for an applause o gram. fill it out and hand it back in. these will go with a small treat (some candy/ stickers etc) to the cast member. It also gets marked down on their record and they get to see what you wrote about them ... basically its a massive thankyou and to recieve one is just AWESOME!!! :cheer2:

I know, right!!! lol

i suppose its a bit different coming from the UK. We have no "tipped" positions when it comes to wages. we all get the minimum at the very least. however if i went out for a meal i will always leave a tip (the amount dependent on sevice) but i won't go into a shop and leave the retail assistant a tip...who is paid the same amount as the waiter. I myself am a shop assistant (yay for the great wages i get...) so do i think it unfair that the witer gets tipped and i don't? should i stop tipping them? eh...no. I'm glad to tip, i know what its likeliving on that kind of income and working on your feet for hours on end! every one who does a good job deserves a thank you.

ok so i still wouldn't tip retail...thats just odd... for the most part we spend very little time in stores and with the assistants themselves. and ofcourse there are commisioned based jobs etc etc...

however i am an ex cm and wanted to share something with you. As a merchie (merchandise non tipped) i think i was paid $6.90 an hour. but i wasn't there to get rich i was there for the experience and the love of disney. as you all know a good CM can make your vacation! i wanted to help create great memories... i like to think i did! on a few occasions some lovely folks felt the need to tip me. ofcourse on these occasions i would refuse 3 times and then take the gift/money to my manager who would always let me keep it. the thing is its not the money that made me so happy but the sentiment behind it! one guest along with a small amount of money gave me an Alice in wonderland Pin (which i was trying to collect) That pin now has pride of place in my home and is a reminder of how we in the service industry can make people so happy that it inspires them to give something to say thank you!!! I didn't even do much for him... we had been talking and laughing at Kidcot with his kids and he asked about Balamory (a scottish kids show) we chatted about it and i said it is filmed in an actual town in Scotland...but could not for the life of me remember the town! anyway he and his family left and later that day i remembered the name of the town. A few days Later i am working in the tea caddie. its quite busy and i am just finishing a conversation with one guest when i recognise one of the guys kids "oh" i squeel and ask the guest i am talking to to forgive me as i shout "Tobermorey" over his shoulder in the direction of the man and his kids... luckily he turns round and recognises me. i finish my conversation and transaction with the first guest (who is chuckling away as i explain my outburst) and the man and his kids wander over to say hello. he couldn't believe that i had remembered him! but his kids were so pleased that i had. I like to think that that family still remember this story as well.

ok thats a bit rambly but my point is remember the impact that you can have on a CM is just as great as they may have on you. and please don't feel the need to tip but i fully encourage that when you do find a lovely CM (no matter what position they work) remember their name then whenever you are in DTD go to guest services and ask for an applause o gram. fill it out and hand it back in. these will go with a small treat (some candy/ stickers etc) to the cast member. It also gets marked down on their record and they get to see what you wrote about them ... basically its a massive thankyou and to recieve one is just AWESOME!!! :cheer2:

Great story. I think tipped positions usually require the service to have a one-on-one interactions such as cabs and waiters. I leave the mousekeepers a tip cause my children are messy :rotfl: I feel bad for them.

I see. The minimum wage for an adult in the UK is £6.31 ( about $9.68 ) an hour. So it doesn't hit that.

Which is also part of the reason a Big Mac combo is $3.99 in Alabama vs. closer to $8-9 in London...

You have to look at wages relative to the price index. If I make $5/hr, but Product A is $10 I'm not really better off if I make $10/hr but Product A now costs $20...

Which is also part of the reason a Big Mac combo is $3.99 in Alabama vs. closer to $8-9 in London...

You have to look at wages relative to the price index. If I make $5/hr, but Product A is $10 I'm not really better off if I make $10/hr but Product A now costs $20...

Yes this is true our cost of living is higher so it's all relative! Good point.

in Scotland our min wage is the same £6 odds or $9 a big mack is $6 (inc fries and coke) or a cheese burger is $1.35. or a fish supper (tasty tasty) can be anywhere between $3-7. however the biggy is that through national contribution we have no need for health insurance, no pricey bills when we have an accident or little Jimmy takes a tumble.... so is cost of living that much higher when looking at the bigger picture? sure london is a pricey place to live but then most companies pay their workers more... particularly in min wage jobs ...not a legal requirement just a requirement for the worker.

god bless the NHS and Deep fried Mars Bars :cool1:

and as i said our tipped positions are paid at least minimum wage as well as their tips!

in Scotland our min wage is the same £6 odds or $9 a big mack is $6 (inc fries and coke) or a cheese burger is $1.35. or a fish supper (tasty tasty) can be anywhere between $3-7. however the biggy is that through national contribution we have no need for health insurance, no pricey bills when we have an accident or little Jimmy takes a tumble.... so is cost of living that much higher when looking at the bigger picture? sure london is a pricey place to live but then most companies pay their workers more... particularly in min wage jobs ...not a legal requirement just a requirement for the worker.

god bless the NHS and Deep fried Mars Bars :cool1:

and as i said our tipped positions are paid at least minimum wage as well as their tips!
I took this from one travel site for the United Kingdom.
Hotels
As with anywhere in the world, a porter bringing your bags to your room expects to receive a cash tip. Around £2 would be reasonable.

You should not tip room service bringing food/drinks to your room.

A few guests choose to leave a tip for their chambermaid, and this would be considerate especially if you have left a mess in your room, but it is not a requirement.

In smaller hotels and guesthouses tipping is unexpected as they tend to be family run establishments. Such places appreciate repeat custom or positive feedback on recommendation sites.

also... why is everyone obsessed with the price of a big mac? who eats big macs?
I think it was a metaphor to relate that the cost of living is part of the equation.

perhaps unexpected (you know how stingy us Scots are supposed to be) but really appreciated ! i've never heard anyone say no to a tip... I think Bill Bryson once did an article on travel brochures written for americans about the uk.... not always to be relied on my friend! very funny article... read it! (what am i saying...very funny of course its funny it Bill Bryson...one of Americas best exports!)

A metaphor for the cost of living ...oh...ok. does a BM (lols i meant big mac) come into your everyday cost of living? isn't it more of a luxury item (ew) This evening i am making a meal for 5 I am however cooking enough for 8 (it may not be enough!)

Aubergine x2 = £1
tin tomatoesx 4 = £1.56
garlic= £0.25
onion x 2 = £0.50
cream x 1 = £1.10
fresh basil = £0.75
pasta x 2packs = £1.00

wine = £4

so main meal for 5 = 10.16
per serving £2.03

is that not more of a cost of living equivalent ...and remember i did add booze into the equation.

p.s it makes a wonderful pasta dish! check it out its Jamie Olivers Rigatoni with Aubergine (eggplant) a million times better than those expensive big macs every one is muching down on...and no fuss at all )

AAAArrrgh i forgot the mozzarella...add another 83p or 17p per head

so £2.20.

but honestly if any one wants the recipe i have a link to it. you can add chillis to it for a bit of a kick. I've left them out because......well i forgot to get them :rolleyes1

i know there is a lack of desert but any time i bay one or make one it goes un eaten. k an Apple crumble is £2.25 and i will still have lots of cream left over so that would do. or i could make one myself...which would be more expensive but more tasty..... woohoo this is fun... ok getting carried away.

ooooooooo oooo oooo...i just thought if stuff is so much cheaper stateside then americans could do this dinner for like nothing right? i purchased stuff from Asda which is part of the walmart family so you could see how it compares.

or i just have way too much time on my hands. lol

Thanks you btw fine oh fine nice Scottish person. I just love the applause o gram in dtd! I am so going to do that next time a CM sprinkles me with pixie dust :-) For example we stayed in May at the wonderful AKV and everyday when I went into the rest rooms by counter service food place in Jambo house there was a sign right in the doorway saying 'wet floor'. A great idea to avoid guests falling expect if like me you happen to be disabled and in a chair or walk with a rollator. Try and get the sign out of the way to enter the door to use the disabled rest cubical in there!

So I told guest services in a nice English polite way of course could they possibly move this sign a little back from the door so me and my mobility device could enter the rest room. Omg not only did they remove it at once every time I came through the lobby I felt like the Queen of England... Doors were opened for me...stickers were put on me...I was given soft toys...my room was cleaned more often than it should have been...

That manager I would have applaused o grammed if I had known!

Thanks you btw fine oh fine nice Scottish person. I just love the applause o gram in dtd! I am so going to do that next time a CM sprinkles me with pixie dust :-) For example we stayed in May at the wonderful AKV and everyday when I went into the rest rooms by counter service food place in Jambo house there was a sign right in the doorway saying 'wet floor'. A great idea to avoid guests falling expect if like me you happen to be disabled and in a chair or walk with a rollator. Try and get the sign out of the way to enter the door to use the disabled rest cubical in there!

So I told guest services in a nice English polite way of course could they possibly move this sign a little back from the door so me and my mobility device could enter the rest room. Omg not only did they remove it at once every time I came through the lobby I felt like the Queen of England... Doors were opened for me...stickers were put on me...I was given soft toys...my room was cleaned more often than it should have been...

That manager I would have applaused o grammed if I had known!

Awww that is such a nice story!!!!! i love it when CM's go above and beyond!!! i think it really is what makes disney so special. My manager used to ask us who we thought we worked for...of course we looked clueless and cautiously said Disney? no erm...you? no
the answer of course was the guest! and infact the manager carried this on to point that he worked for us (the lowly cm) so that we could work for the good of the guest.

I know not all CM stories are awesome
:( i guess every one has a bad day...or just forgets the impact they can have on a guests day. but i am so glad that you are going to use the appluase o gram if you find a special pixie dust sprinkling CM!!!

i also like the use of pixie dust. :dance3:

ooooooooo oooo oooo...i just thought if stuff is so much cheaper stateside then americans could do this dinner for like nothing right? i purchased stuff from Asda which is part of the walmart family so you could see how it compares.

It's not necessarily 'stateside'. I'd wager that the NE US or California can be just as expensive. Other parts of the US ARE considerably cheaper.

You don't have to look at Big Macs, look at housing, or taxes, or gas, or, even healthcare. My Blue Cross is great insurance and very reasonable. Is wager that it's a good bit more in New York...

My point is that you have to compare wages to cost of living.

It's not necessarily 'stateside'. I'd wager that the NE US or California can be just as expensive. Other parts of the US ARE considerably cheaper.

You don't have to look at Big Macs, look at housing, or taxes, or gas, or, even healthcare. My Blue Cross is great insurance and very reasonable. Is wager that it's a good bit more in New York...

My point is that you have to compare wages to cost of living.

Prices vary across the UK as well even in the same chain stores. North is often cheaper than south for example in a supermarket for the same item as land is cheaper and probably over heads not as high. I quite like the 'big mac' index though. I think it was introduced because it is available is most countries and most people know what it is!

A metaphor for the cost of living ...oh...ok. does a BM (lols i meant big mac) come into your everyday cost of living? isn't it more of a luxury item (ew) This evening i am making a meal for 5 I am however cooking enough for 8 (it may not be enough!)

Aubergine x2 = £1
tin tomatoesx 4 = £1.56
garlic= £0.25
onion x 2 = £0.50
cream x 1 = £1.10
fresh basil = £0.75
pasta x 2packs = £1.00

wine = £4

so main meal for 5 = 10.16
per serving £2.03

is that not more of a cost of living equivalent ...and remember i did add booze into the equation.

p.s it makes a wonderful pasta dish! check it out its Jamie Olivers Rigatoni with Aubergine (eggplant) a million times better than those expensive big macs every one is muching down on...and no fuss at all )

AAAArrrgh i forgot the mozzarella...add another 83p or 17p per head

so £2.20.

but honestly if any one wants the recipe i have a link to it. you can add chillis to it for a bit of a kick. I've left them out because......well i forgot to get them :rolleyes1

i know there is a lack of desert but any time i bay one or make one it goes un eaten. k an Apple crumble is £2.25 and i will still have lots of cream left over so that would do. or i could make one myself...which would be more expensive but more tasty..... woohoo this is fun... ok getting carried away.

As means of price comparison, I usually get my vegetables during the summer at a neighbors stand (we live in a farm community, and I am a physician, not a farmer). Eggplant isn't quite in season yet, but this weekend, it was $2 for one large eggplant. When in season, it is about $1 per lb. Tomatoes are sold by the box, a large box of 4 for $4, probably $1 per lb. Green peppers, when in season, are 50 cents to $1 each. Onions are about 80 cents to $1 per pound or less, depending on whether you pick individual onions or buy a bag. I actually buy the jars of preminced garlic. I grow parsley and basil outside in a planter. I am not sure of the currency conversion, but I can get a 1 lb box of pasta for $1 per box when on sale, and I usually buy it on sale.

I buy groceries at Meijer, which is a midwestern food chain, and they usually also get their produce from more local farms, in IN, where I live, Ohio, Michigan, for example. So, the prices are the same or lower than the farm stand, but, the produce at the farm stand can be tastier and better in quality.

As means of price comparison, I usually get my vegetables during the summer at a neighbors stand (we live in a farm community, and I am a physician, not a farmer). Eggplant isn't quite in season yet, but this weekend, it was $2 for one large eggplant. When in season, it is about $1 per lb. Tomatoes are sold by the box, a large box of 4 for $4, probably $1 per lb. Green peppers, when in season, are 50 cents to $1 each. Onions are about 80 cents to $1 per pound or less, depending on whether you pick individual onions or buy a bag. I actually buy the jars of preminced garlic. I grow parsley and basil outside in a planter. I am not sure of the currency conversion, but I can get a 1 lb box of pasta for $1 per box when on sale, and I usually buy it on sale.

I buy groceries at Meijer, which is a midwestern food chain, and they usually also get their produce from more local farms, in IN, where I live, Ohio, Michigan, for example. So, the prices are the same or lower than the farm stand, but, the produce at the farm stand can be tastier and better in quality.

YOU GOTTA LOVE FARMERS MARKETS!!! tasty tasty. we get a box of veg each week from one of the local farmers... its so awesome cause you never know what you are gonna get and then you have the fun of making new recipes! plus a friend of hours grows Tatties and Bettroot. When i was closer to home it was even better because the girl i lived with had her own veg garden that i would help her with.... lettuce, spring onions, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, beetroot..... and my mums friend had a few chickens...so we got eggs from her quite a bit too ...now i just need to make these connections up north so i can get my veg through them. OH and we had an apple tree!!! yay!

wish i knew someone that kept bees that would be awesome!!

YOU GOTTA LOVE FARMERS MARKETS!!! tasty tasty. we get a box of veg each week from one of the local farmers... its so awesome cause you never know what you are gonna get and then you have the fun of making new recipes! plus a friend of hours grows Tatties and Bettroot. When i was closer to home it was even better because the girl i lived with had her own veg garden that i would help her with.... lettuce, spring onions, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, beetroot..... and my mums friend had a few chickens...so we got eggs from her quite a bit too ...now i just need to make these connections up north so i can get my veg through them. OH and we had an apple tree!!! yay!

wish i knew someone that kept bees that would be awesome!!
One of the members of my parish (who was on parish council with me) raised bees. I live just south of Indianapolis now, and I grew up near Chicago. When I was growing up in Chicago, his bee company sold honey in the stores near us. I remember because the name of the company was the name of my elementary school principal, so, I thought he was the one who raised the bees.

One of the members of my parish (who was on parish council with me) raised bees. I live just south of Indianapolis now, and I grew up near Chicago. When I was growing up in Chicago, his bee company sold honey in the stores near us. I remember because the name of the company was the name of my elementary school principal, so, I thought he was the one who raised the bees.

How amazing have that local honey near you. I just adore honey. Your just a bee charmer Idgie Threadgoode that's what you are....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter