DVC tips for mousekeeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Jekjones, BobbiWoz, LSchrow, and anyone else I'm missing. I scrub our toilets here at home the other 51 wks of the year. The tip we leave is negligible in the grand scheme of things to us, but may make someone smile.
I've had some crummy King's Dominion jobs in high school and college. None of them were as icky as being a hotel housekeeper. Bless these folks!!

I'm with Jekjones, BobbiWoz, LSchrow, and anyone else I'm missing. I scrub our toilets here at home the other 51 wks of the year. The tip we leave is negligible in the grand scheme of things to us, but may make someone smile.
I've had some crummy King's Dominion jobs in high school and college. None of them were as icky as being a hotel housekeeper. Bless these folks!!

Exactly! I really don't care that it's not a 'tipped' position at Disney. They are working so hard and they are doing the things I don't have to do...gotta love that.

Exactly! I really don't care that it's not a 'tipped' position at Disney. They are working so hard and they are doing the things I don't have to do...gotta love that.

Yes I made my personal decision. Not judging anyone else though but my mousekeeping envelopes are printed ready to be filled...

I tip when I receive great service.

The last time I stayed at Kidani Village we had a great trip and thoroughly enjoyed the two bedroom savannah view. But I did A LOT of work (which I expected since I am not in a hotel room). Every day I took out the trash. Every day the dishwasher needed to be run and emptied and additional pots/etc. needed to be cleaned. I also did laundry every day which included the occasional towel when needed.

When we first got there, a light bulb needed to be replaced and something else was missing. I called mousekeeping and the light bulb was never replaced. So hmmm, again great service gets tips (like the service I receive on DCL) but for the timeshare rooms, I feel like the minimum is done.

Please don't confuse my opinion with being unhappy, I love DVC and we are very happy owners. I have set my expectations to be realistic and I am not at an Intercontinental. So I am going to tip when service is exceptional not because of the amount a person makes.....

Please don't confuse my opinion with being unhappy, I love DVC and we are very happy owners. I have set my expectations to be realistic and I am not at an Intercontinental. So I am going to tip when service is exceptional not because of the amount a person makes.....
Exactly, exceptional but not simply expected though personally I don't find it uncommon to get exceptional service at WDW in general. I find it hypocritical when people tip a single position, such as mousekeeping, but don't tip other similarly paid people who do just as much for them (sometimes more) like the groundskeeper or bus driver, etc. I also find it hypocritical to single out this subject at WDW and not everyday life. People talk about cleaning toilets, I wonder if they tip all they come in contact with that provide a service and do the same, any of them routinely tip at the convenience store. In a couple of past threads on this subject I've posted the following, that I believe that many who tip do so out of guilt that they have earned the ability to take such a vacation (they'll never admit it). They'll tell you they do so out of personal choice or because it makes them feel good but unless they are consistent across their daily lives, I'd put guilt at the head of the list.

So should we be tipping the Bus driver who takes us from Disney resort to Disney parks.I never seen anyone doing this last visit

...When we first got there, a light bulb needed to be replaced and something else was missing. I called mousekeeping and the light bulb was never replaced. So hmmm, again great service gets tips (like the service I receive on DCL) but for the timeshare rooms, I feel like the minimum is done......

I bet if you called Maintenance, it would have been fixed. I always get my maintenance problems fixed by Maintenance and my housekeeping problems fixed by Housekeeping.

I bet if you called Maintenance, it would have been fixed. I always get my maintenance problems fixed by Maintenance and my housekeeping problems fixed by Housekeeping.

Requests for service are prioritized by need. Light bulbs are at the bottom of the list and tying up a maintenance person to replace a light bulb keeps them from fixing water leaks and AC issues. Maintenance works at more than one resort so they are stretched pretty thin.

Why Mousekeeping doesn't check and report burned out bulbs makes sense but we are dealing with union employees.

:earsboy: Bill

My sentiments exactly. I have a kid with Celiac so when we eat out and special accomodations are made for his special food, I tip...always 20% and + if I round up. What I don't like is when it is expected for marginal service. I will always tip- but the amount varies depending on the quality of service. I do not blame my waiter if the food was cooked incorrectly, but I tip -again for the quality of service.

Now on to mousekeeping. In the past stays in regular rooms with daily mousekeeping I tipped everyday in the cute little envelopes.....it did not matter that I tipped regularly-my service ranged greatly. Some just expect the tip no matter what effort is put into service...that is a shame.

For this upcoming stay (our first DVC at BLT) I will probably tip for my first T & T however if it is crappy-I wont tip my usual family of 5 tip-there will be less in that envelope because frankly my tips are generally generous and because I appreciate what was done for me.

This of course is my opinion and maybe if good tips were seen as an extra when the service is good and with a smile, not an attitude and an expectation more people would be inclined to tip as a thank you and with appreciation than disdain and annoyance that is was mandatory. :sad1:

Did you ever go to a restaurant with a party of 6 or more and an 18% tip was already added to your bill? What is service was horrible???? for me horrible service deserves the highest at 15%....but you don't have that choice do you?
Just something to think about....off to disney in less than 24 hours.....:goodvibes

My sentiments exactly. I have a kid with Celiac so when we eat out and special accomodations are made for his special food, I tip...always 20% and + if I round up. What I don't like is when it is expected for marginal service. I will always tip- but the amount varies depending on the quality of service. I do not blame my waiter if the food was cooked incorrectly, but I tip -again for the quality of service.

Now on to mousekeeping. In the past stays in regular rooms with daily mousekeeping I tipped everyday in the cute little envelopes.....it did not matter that I tipped regularly-my service ranged greatly. Some just expect the tip no matter what effort is put into service...that is a shame.

For this upcoming stay (our first DVC at BLT) I will probably tip for my first T & T however if it is crappy-I wont tip my usual family of 5 tip-there will be less in that envelope because frankly my tips are generally generous and because I appreciate what was done for me.

This of course is my opinion and maybe if good tips were seen as an extra when the service is good and with a smile, not an attitude and an expectation more people would be inclined to tip as a thank you and with appreciation than disdain and annoyance that is was mandatory. :sad1:

Did you ever go to a restaurant with a party of 6 or more and an 18% tip was already added to your bill? What is service was horrible???? for me horrible service deserves the highest at 15%....but you don't have that choice do you?
Just something to think about....off to disney in less than 24 hours.....:goodvibes

Please report back if you receive proper service on your T&T day. I'm talking a complete service with dirty towels taken away and fresh ones properly put away, not left piled on the table, trash taken out and supplies restocked.

:earsboy: Bill

...Did you ever go to a restaurant with a party of 6 or more and an 18% tip was already added to your bill? What is service was horrible???? for me horrible service deserves the highest at 15%....but you don't have that choice do you?

In this case, you ask to speak to the manager. Tell them your concerns and, at least at Disney, they will reduce the standard tip.

In this case, you ask to speak to the manager. Tell them your concerns and, at least at Disney, they will reduce the standard tip.
I think this is true most anywhere though I'm sure there are exceptions. Some discounts (restaurant.com) often add automatic gratuity as a part of the coupon usage.

So should we be tipping the Bus driver who takes us from Disney resort to Disney parks.I never seen anyone doing this last visit

I always tip the magical express driver...how could i not...he just brought me to the most magical place on earth!!!!

but for whoever mentioned guilt... I never feel guilty for my vacation!! i just want to share round the HAPPY JOY JOY!!!!!:cool1:

and the BLT is awesome... they have the best balconies :thumbsup2 excellent for that post park glass of wine as you watch the electrical parade on the water!!!

I always tip the magical express driver...how could i not...he just brought me to the most magical place on earth!!!!

but for whoever mentioned guilt... I never feel guilty for my vacation!! i just want to share round the HAPPY JOY JOY!!!!!:cool1:

and the BLT is awesome... they have the best balconies :thumbsup2 excellent for that post park glass of wine as you watch the electrical parade on the water!!!

Me too re ME driver and I agree re guilt too. I don't feel guilty but like to spread the magic where deserved. I am very ill and medically retired at 41. So I treasure the money I have got! I hope the mousekeepers and all the staff we tip have something I can't buy for any currency in the world. Health.

That was me and I'd suggest that most don't even realize it and basically none would admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter