• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Early Entry

daddylonglegs

Earning My Ears
Going home in 22 day's and was wondering if Disney brought back the early park entry? Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.:earseek: :p

THe descriptions of the Downtown Disney resorts on this website still refer to an early morning option for entering the parks. I hope it's brought back.

There have been no annoucement that Early Entry has resumed. It was not in effect 3 weeks ago when we were there.

Recent statements made to guests, indicate that EE is being reevaluated by Disney:smooth:

When we were at WDW for a recent stay, they brought back Early Entry for one day!

Saturday, June 1 was Gay Day in the Magic Kingdom. Based on previous years' crowds, Disney knew the park would be packed. On Thursday before that, they slipped a piece of paper under our door at VWL and let us know that resort guests would be allowed to enter AK and Epcot one hour early and that large crowds were expected at MK.

So for one day at least, EE was back!

I always thought EE would come back when the crowds did but now I think it may be gone for a long time. If bookings for resorts continue to be strong without EE, then Disney has no motivation to bring it back. And you know they've put the pencil to the paper to figure out how much they're saving by not having the parks open that extra hour.

I agree that EE may not return.

I believe Disney created EE prior to having Value hotels. To encourge people to stay at Moderates and Deluxe hotels, they needed to come up with a benefit (other then being on-site). Early access to the parks provide that.

Now that Disney has Value hotels and as long as people continue to book rooms, there is no reason to open the parks earlier.

If the number of people stop staying on-site or the park attendance drops, then they may bring EE back.

IMHO, I think you will see EE come back in some form. I would guess that they might consider EE for only the MK and then only a couple days a week during the busy season. I hope so anyway!

How about the possibility of EE for Moderate and Deluxe resorts only???

Of course DVC resorts would be included.

What are the chances of that????

I am not expressing pro or con, just bringing up the question.

Disney may bring it back if they think guest will spend enough $$ while in the parks an extra hour to pay employee wages and make additional profit.

The excuse they gave for doing away with it was that guests indicated that they did not make use of it and would rather have something that gave them "more opportunities for character interaction."
That was the official word. My opinion is that after 9/11 the attendance was down enough not to require EE and Disney saw how much money they saved by not having the parks open that extra time and will NEVER bring back EE **except** when the crowds get so bad that people start complaining about not having enough time to see the attractions because of the hours and crowds. Then, rather than EE for Disney Resort guests, they will probably just adjust the hours of the parks for all guests.

The excuse they gave for doing away with it was that guests indicated that they did not make use of it and would rather have something that gave them "more opportunities for character interaction."

Not true. The statement said something like "Not many guests used EE, and many guests wanted more character interaction."

According to this statement, guests did not indicate they didn't use EE, they didn't use it. (after all, Disney only need to check the turnstiles to see how many used EE.) It also does not say that guests said they prefer character interaction to EE. It was merely a way to present a takeaway with an addition.

Rich, your scenario is certainly a possibility, but only if Disney finds that it needs to add a perk to these resorts in order to get the prices they charge. Or, if they feel they can raise prices even more by adding this perk. However, my guess is that this won't happen because the cost to operate the parks during EE is substantial, and if Disney really though they could get more money for rooms by having EE, they wouldn't have gotten rid of it in the first place.

I can see it being used in a "Surprise Morning" format for busy days, as it was for 6/1, but the frequency would probably be very limited.

A more likely feature to be added to deluxe rooms and/or packages would be some sort of "extra" FastPass program. Much lower cost, but clearly a big benefit for theme park visitors. (IMHO)

Disney's pr statement about getting rid of EE was just pure BS!!!!!! They did it only to save money with no concern to the guests of their hotels. They produced the CC as a cheap alternative for pr purposes. They took away aot and give little which is disney's new motto!!
And the last things disney needs is a 5th park when they have gaping holes in their current parks, one of which is a half day park!!!

There is no 1/2 day park in WDW. There maybe a park whose attractions do not appeal to a broad enough audience, but that is not the same thing.

When you can complete a park in half a day it is a half day park !!!

When you can complete a park in half a day it is a half day park !!!

Nobody can COMPLETE AK in a 1/2 day (5-6 hours) if they experience the attractions as they were intended. This includes three attractions that were not meant to be simply breezed through:

Pangani Trail
Maharajah Trek
Wildlife Express/Conservation Station

Besides these, there are 5 rides, 5 shows, a parade, and various other areas that were meant to be explored, like the Oasis and Tree of Life. There's also the "kiddie" areas (Boneyard, Camp M/M, and Affection Station). There's also live entertainment.

Now, perhaps these things do not all appeal to you, but again, that is a different issue.

I agree with the Raiders fan (oh, what will you do without Gruden :().

While not all of the attractions in the AK appeal to all people, if you see the majority of the rides, attractions and shows in the AK there is no way you can do it justice in a half day.

Mr. O - would you consider MGM a half day park? We spend less time there than in the AK. I'm sure others spend less time in Epcot. Is that a half day park?

To each his/her own, but there are no half day parks at WDW.

But I measure the value of my ticket against the things I want to do, not against what other’s tell me I’m supposed to be interested in. If something doesn’t appeal to me – why should I think I’m getting good value for my money just because it’s there? If I feel like AK only has enough interesting things for a three hour visit – THEN IT’S A HALF-DAY PARK FOR ME. What others might think is not relevant.

The problem with AK is that many more people think it’s a half day park than think it’s a full park. When it comes to entertainment, opinion is fact.

An interesting side note ... we were at Disney last October when the post 9/11 cutbacks hit hard. Disney had survey takers outside the parks each night as we were leaving asking targeted questions on hours, attractions, etc.

One question they asked outside MK one day that really made me think was whether an "early open pass" would be an item we'd pay extra for (like the night-time e-ticket for MK is extra). My guess is Disney is looking at a lot of pay-to-play options to allow some a la carte park visits.

With AK attendance dropping every year since it opened, apparently there are people (like our family) who find it not a half-day but a no-day park...not that we did not enjoy some of it, but the pay-off for going was too small to make the effort, we will spend our $50/day park time in places with a lot more appeal than our local zoo. (which is free)

Good point AV, and I wouldn't presume to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do or enjoy.

If I feel like AK only has enough interesting things for a three hour visit – THEN IT’S A HALF-DAY PARK FOR ME.

This is a fair presentation, and if others don't agree with you it is irrelevant, you are correct.

And the last things disney needs is a 5th park when they have gaping holes in their current parks, one of which is a half day park!!!

Mr. O seems to be making a stronger general statement that isn't necessarily based on his likes or dislikes.

The problem with AK is that many more people think it’s a half day park than think it’s a full park.

Not so sure I agree with this. Do I smell a poll? BTW, what exactly can you get done in 3 hours in the AK? Can't be all that much - and that is fine if it is what makes you happy. However, there are at least several worthwhile shows and several worthwhile rides which probably can't be done in 3 hours. On top of that there is a plethora of animals if you are into them, a parade that is a good or better than the MGM and Epcot offerings - quite a lot to keep many people busy for more than half a day, especially if you have kids.

Going on individual perceived value, for us Epcot and MGM are half day parks, but I wouldn't make disparaging remarks about either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter