Earthquake just woke me up!

I'd say it was more like 30 seconds.

Welcome to my world!

5.2 - 5.4. That's a pretty good shaker.

Earthquakes: not just for the West Coast.

Slept right through it. Now I know I can literally sleep through an earthquake.:)

Here in Memphis I slept through it. Thanks to all the sinus meds I am on right now I could sleep through a cattle stampede.

wheelermom- alot of it depends on the kind of soil your house sits on.

This is a great website that the government runs and has maps plus a way to let them know if you felt the quake.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

We must be located pretty close. Brownsburg area here. It had the whole house up and jittery. We heard a rumble here and my first thought was thunder/tornado until I got woke up and DH said that was an earth quake!!!

South side Indy here.
It woke me up. Like you, I first thought thunder. But after a second or two, I knew it was an earthquake.
After a few minutes, I was back to sleep.

Welcome to my world!

5.2 - 5.4. That's a pretty good shaker.

Earthquakes: not just for the West Coast.

So true. This is about the 4th shake I've felt in my lifetime of living in Indy.

We're in St. Louis, and it was scary indeed! :eek:
We woke up immediately (I think the cats freaked out, and that may have been what really woke me up), and I thought earthquake at first, but then when I stood up I didn't feel it. I sat back on the bed, and I felt it again! :confused3 So then, being the scary movie freak that I am, thought that we had a ghost in our house that was playing tricks on us! :lmao:
(I was half asleep and fightened...Gimme a break! :rolleyes: )

Jen's immediate thought was that someone was trying to get into the house. (I'm not sure where this theory came from either, but evidently it was a popular one. We heard people on the news who said they thought the same thing.) So she goes all through the house while I finally think to turn the TV on. Sure enough, they were talking about the earthquake!! I too was sure it was New Madrid until they said it was West Salem, Illinois.

In hindsight, the cats were acting a little strange last night, so I'm sure they sensed it was coming. Strange thing, that intuition that animals have. :confused3

Hope everyone's doing OK, and just a little "shaken up" like we were.

Felt the quake,too.
I was awake in bed and the bed was moving a little.
I looked at DH to see if he was moving his legs or arms and he wasn't, so I knew it was a quake.

Did anyone feel the aftershock just now? The house shook twice for a couple seconds.

Okay I was thinking-I thought I heard a train around that time? Do these things make any sound? Is it possible I heard it (or just a train)?

It's 11:14AM.. and we think we just had an after shock...
Off to check the news..but the whole house moved..and my DS that slept through it.. felt it this time.. there was no doubt that something just happened...

Yes we just felt the after shock as well. Freaked us all out down here in the basement. My desk was moving. HOLY COW!! Never thought here in the midwest, I'd be dealing with aftershocks. Guess I have to rethink of why I never want to go to CA. Always used not wanting to go thru an earthquake as my lame excuess.

They said on the news we probably wouldn't feel the aftershocks but I sure felt that. It felt like 2 small ones in a row. Very freaky feeling.

My wife on the Northside of Indy just felt it too....

I'm on the 5th story of a building 5 miles away and I didn't notice it....

Everybody in our office felt ithe aftershock a few minutes ago except for me and another guy because we were outside doing a photo shoot in the wind.

Dh is on the southside of Indy @ work and when I called he said he felt it..
According to the news there have been about 4 after shocks ranging from 2.2, 2.4, 2.5. & 2.6...

I'm glad the kids are off school today.. I couldn't imagine being at school dealing with that.. I don't even know if they have ever practiced a drill for earthquakes..

37.39.-89.-87.gif

It looks as if there have been several small quakes..they reported thiis last one as a 4.

I was thinking I might've just felt an aftershock too...was sitting here at the computer and the table and chair were shaking. It was slight shaking, but it was definitely shaking. I have a laptop with a glossy (or whatever) finish on the screen and could see the trees out the window behind me reflected in it as it vibrated all over the place.

And at first I thought I slept through the original earthquake, but just remembered that something randomly woke me up sometime around quarter to 5; I guess that must've been it. Whoa.

There was one about 5 years ago or so that I felt too...I think it was somewhere in TN. I was sitting at work with both of my elbows on the desk and my chin in my hands and I could actually feel the desk undulating. It was trippy as hell and I didn't mention anything to anyone because I thought I was losing my mind :laughing: ; one of the managers came out about 10 minutes later and mentioned that there'd just been an earthquake.

ETA: And I guess the cat must've felt it too, as he is, inexplicably, hiding underneath the kitchen cabinets.

Brownsburg,IN felt it! The house creaked and I swayed! Its like taking a ride w/o buying a ticket!!! LOL

I called DH and asked if he felt that. His office is in Beech Grove but no he is in the car driving to an appt.

All I can say is WOW! There must be some serious plate shifting going on!

Brownsburg,IN felt it! The house creaked and I swayed! Its like taking a ride w/o buying a ticket!!! LOL

I called DH and asked if he felt that. His office is in Beech Grove but no he is in the car driving to an appt.

All I can say is WOW! There must be some serious plate shifting going on!

We are in Danville and DH works in Beech Grove near the hospital..
Small world!!!

Ok I'm in Iowa and about 15 minutes ago just felt what could have been an aftershock...anybody else feel it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter