Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

Yikes. I was in the process of finding the right resale BLT contract as was going to add on 25 points. Since I'm only looking to own 125-150 points this really messes up my plans. I wouldn't mind adding on 75 points, but it's awfully hard to find a 50-75 point contract at BLT on resale as opposed to the 100-125 I was looking for. Trying to buy 50 direct today would require them to have the inventory and then find a 75-100 point resale contract that matched the UY of the direct points (even if they had them). UGH.

I'd at least call and as about just buying direct...considering you aren't wanting all that many points, the price difference may not be much in the long run.

I'm very happy we went direct.

I'd at least call and as about just buying direct...considering you aren't wanting all that many points, the price difference may not be much in the long run.

I'm very happy we went direct.

The big bummer about that is that direct costs so much more. A 150 or contact at $150 a point (on the high end of resale) plus 25 direct at 191 a point comes out to under $28000. Going all direct for 175 points comes out to over $33000. That small rule chance just cost some people over $5000 for getting the same thing.

I called and tried to get 50 points that matched my resale that closed last week. No dice. And he was sure to say that it likely wouldn’t happen before 25 Feb. I asked about same resort different UY, or different UY different resort, but he said he would have to check and call me back. I’m not very hopeful this will happen. It’s like they didn’t want to take my money:confused3

I called and tried to get 50 points that matched my resale that closed last week. No dice. And he was sure to say that it likely wouldn’t happen before 25 Feb. I asked about same resort different UY, or different UY different resort, but he said he would have to check and call me back. I’m not very hopeful this will happen. It’s like they didn’t want to take my money:confused3

Sure they want your money. They just want a couple thousand more of it once you're stuck with the 75 point minimum.

Definitely time to sit down and consider how much direct ownership is worth to you. It looks like right now it's about $260 per year per person in AP discounts, plus some dining and special events. For some people, that's worth $13000+, for others, it's not.
With me being in my 30's, with two young children and a 42 year contract, it would actually still be worth it to me. You are also getting 75 points that are yours to use.

That’s a miscalculation on their part. I’m not going to buy 75 direct. So they can either have my money now or never.

Yeah but sadly other people will pay it. That's the way Disney is moving. The fun goes to the highest bidder every time. Extra fastpasses for club level, ticket price increases, and now DVC price increases as well.

The big bummer about that is that direct costs so much more. A 150 or contact at $150 a point (on the high end of resale) plus 25 direct at 191 a point comes out to under $28000. Going all direct for 175 points comes out to over $33000. That small rule chance just cost some people over $5000 for getting the same thing.

I understand that...but also consider that I saved well over 1000 bucks just on my recent platinum plus pass purchase. Add to that some of the other stuff I will save money on over time, 5K really isn't that much, and you don't have to play the game of waiting, ROFR, worry about if you get perks or not, etc..

It was worth it to me (even though some think it's silly to buy direct) to just go through DVD, especially with the property we were interested in.

What I'm watching and will be watching closely is what they do going forward to resale contracts. I'm one that would LOVE to add an OKW 2057 via resale at some point, but if they go messing with booking windows, etc..it will definitely not be worth it to go re-sale.

I have 3 contracts over 2UYs. Having contracts in different accounts is workable.

It’s a hassle but has a few advantages.

1. Two sets of waitlist.

2. The ability to buy one time use points in both accounts means access to 48 of them per year.

3. I discovered this trick because I have two accounts and frequently book like 3 nights in one account and 2 in the other for the same trip:

If I book the smaller number of days first, 2 then 3 days and book the deluxe dining plan for the 2 days only, there are enough credits to stretch them to 3 days (good the whole day of the switch to new room). Then I front load sit downs early. I have a drink cup the whole trip and effectively 3 dining plan days for the price of two.

You can do this in one UY, but if they see your reservation split, they can combine them into one. They can’t do that across contracts.

My point is different UYs isn’t the end of the world. If that’s what it takes to lock down perks, my advice is:

DO IT.

So, you're not going to buy the 50 you need direct or you're still going to, but not get the benefits....?
I will likely buy the 50 that I need, but without direct perks coming with those 50 points I will just buy the remainder resale. There is no point and giving Disney more money than I need to and get nothing for the extra money in return.

I called 2 weeks ago to add on 25 points at Boulder Ridge. (We already had 200 direct BCV points from 17 years ago or whatever). I was told they had add on points at just about every resort available to me. I was surprised and said just Boulder Ridge please. (June use year, maybe less popular? who knows). I was surprised they had them immediately. Jumped on it, as I have heard the rumors about shutting the door on the 25 point addons giving direct benefits.

Yet people with resale contracts, who want to add on, sometimes get stuck on waiting lists. Do they treat current direct owners differently with add on points? No idea. I would think $$ is $$. In ANY event, we are selling the BCV now, to buy resale at BR. I got the 25 first, because I was confused on how it worked with different use years, and wanted to stay a member with no lapses. But later was thinking, maybe I should have waited to buy the 25 once I secure a resale at BR, to match up the use years. Now I am SO glad I got the 25 point purchase done. I will live with different use years, I can juggle 25 points around. (If I can find a June one, great, but I will take a great deal if I see one with a different use year).

For once, I made a good choice, even though I did not have all the facts, lol.

Quite a few posters on various FB groups reporting that they’re only being given Aulani and CCB as options to get in under the wire, despite making other requests in some cases.

We’d planned to add a small direct contract, but 75 points is beyond our cost/benefit tipping point (won’t use points for cruises/ABD, don’t spend enough days in parks to make APs worthwhile most years, etc), so we will most likely look for a slightly larger resale contract.

Just to be clear, if we purchased all our points resale but prior to them making these changes (bought back in 2015) are we affected by this change?

You are not affected. They’re not going to mess with older owners. Trust me, if they could, they would for more $$$. It would be a legal nightmare for them to retroactively restrict prior owners. I don’t want to get into it, but they’ll leave you alone. They’d have to change the rules for everyone. It doesn’t matter that perks are subject to change. Eligibility of perks isn’t which is why they spell it out every...single...time.

I was upset enough about the 4/4/16 changes to write a very public letter to DVC.

1. I’ve long expected these changes. I expected 50 to match current minimum new purchase.

2. Are they going to make minimum 75, or are they really going to create new members with all direct points non-perks members?

3. I expected far more changes than this. So this isn’t a bad as I feared it would be.

4. This is why we’ve advocated to fence sitters of the 25 point add on to do so while it was available. Honestly, I don’t think the 75 point minimum is a bad deal so much as the 25 point minimum was just a really really good deal. We knew that was a loophole that wouldn’t last.

If I was someone interesting in getting the extras for the direct buy - I think I would "take it where I can get it" even if it's Poly or CCV. You can always bank and borrow points and turn those 25 points into 75 points every other year.

Hearing this brought up several questions, some of which were already answered - but I'll ask the rest here:

1) Does this mean that NEW buyers from now on have to buy a minimum of 75 points? I thought it was 50 points previously, but if I was to be buying DVC for the first very first time, would I just not be allowed to buy a 50 point contract, or would I have to buy 75 points.

2) Can you still add on smaller contracts, even if they don't give you the benefits? Or are 25/50 point contracts going the way of the dodo bird / If you had wings? I'm especially curious about this one, because if they ever added another resort out in California, I would seriously consider getting a 50 point contract add-on, but not sure I could swing 75 points at direct prices!

3) Opinions on this one: Do we actually SEE an effect on resale this time? I don't think the last restriction had much effect, and in fact resale prices are sky-high right now. Could we finally see resale prices come back to a more reasonable level? I think the effect will again be small - people buying resale will just be resigned to the lack of perks.

I have a February use year assuming they have it available and I get the 25 do I just get this years points?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter