Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

I understand that...but also consider that I saved well over 1000 bucks just on my recent platinum plus pass purchase. Add to that some of the other stuff I will save money on over time, 5K really isn't that much, and you don't have to play the game of waiting, ROFR, worry about if you get perks or not, etc..

It was worth it to me (even though some think it's silly to buy direct) to just go through DVD, especially with the property we were interested in.

What I'm watching and will be watching closely is what they do going forward to resale contracts. I'm one that would LOVE to add an OKW 2057 via resale at some point, but if they go messing with booking windows, etc..it will definitely not be worth it to go re-sale.

People have to buy direct for this whole system to work. Period.

I just attended a Moonlight Magic event and it was worth more than a MVMCP or MNSSHP in my opinion.

And now the regular APs went up and the savings to DVC members is even greater.

Add it up. It's worth a lot. The 25 point add-on was a loophole and they're closing it. If the economy stays good, they will continue to make these changes. When I wanted to buy years ago, I was told 160 points was the minimum and we couldn't afford it so we walked. Had they offered us 50, we would have been members long ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they start messing with that.

These are direct sales incentives. It's business. We all have a choice....save $ on resale or pay more and get the benefits. I think some people get a little salty because they know others have resale contracts they picked up in 2010 for like $50/pt and still have full benefits. Hey, we all could have done the same. It is what it is. Of course it will sting a little for the people that are in the process of closing resale, etc. right now. That's just bad timing / bad luck and understandable to be upset.

I would like to buy 2 - 40 point Oct UY contracts at BLT (I think). There's no way I'm finding exactly that thru resale, so I either pay the premium for exactly what I want or settle for something else. Choices. Decisions.

The big bummer about that is that direct costs so much more. A 150 or contact at $150 a point (on the high end of resale) plus 25 direct at 191 a point comes out to under $28000. Going all direct for 175 points comes out to over $33000. That small rule chance just cost some people over $5000 for getting the same thing.

This is my other issue. If I was going to do 100 points resale at ~$130pt +25 Add On for $185 (I think that's current BLT price) that's about $18,000. If I did 125 points direct that's over $23,000. As I said I just don't think I can find a small enough resale contract to do a 75 point Add On.

If I was someone interesting in getting the extras for the direct buy - I think I would "take it where I can get it" even if it's Poly or CCV. You can always bank and borrow points and turn those 25 points into 75 points every other year.

Hearing this brought up several questions, some of which were already answered - but I'll ask the rest here:

1) Does this mean that NEW buyers from now on have to buy a minimum of 75 points? I thought it was 50 points previously, but if I was to be buying DVC for the first very first time, would I just not be allowed to buy a 50 point contract, or would I have to buy 75 points.

2) Can you still add on smaller contracts, even if they don't give you the benefits? Or are 25/50 point contracts going the way of the dodo bird / If you had wings? I'm especially curious about this one, because if they ever added another resort out in California, I would seriously consider getting a 50 point contract add-on, but not sure I could swing 75 points at direct prices!

3) Opinions on this one: Do we actually SEE an effect on resale this time? I don't think the last restriction had much effect, and in fact resale prices are sky-high right now. Could we finally see resale prices come back to a more reasonable level? I think the effect will again be small - people buying resale will just be resigned to the lack of perks.

1. I would guess you could still get 50, but they would push hard for 75 to get you the perks. That one is just a guess, though.

2. I would also assume you can add on anywhere over 25 points. Disney would not want to restrict people who already own, or who are not looking to just get extra benefits, from giving them their money. I see 25 point contracts suddenly becoming very available after the 25th...

3. Yes I could see this impacting resale, especially the 100 point or smaller contracts. The AP discount is becoming significant enough that families looking to buy in will view it as a necessity, and would then be more likely to just buy 150 points direct than to try 75 resale and 75 direct. The former method of 125 resale and 25 direct made much more sense.

Sooo... Wife and I have a resale contract that just passed ROFR and are waiting for closing. That likely won't occur prior to this deadline thus I won't have a chance to do the 25pt. add-on option that we were originally planning for the benefits.

We're basically screwed correct? Lol

This is my other issue. If I was going to do 100 points resale at ~$130pt +25 Add On for $185 (I think that's current BLT price) that's about $18,000. If I did 125 points direct that's over $23,000. As I said I just don't think I can find a small enough resale contract to do a 75 point Add On.

The decision will be different for different people based on the benefits they'd be able to take advantage of. We just bought DVC APs and attended a Moonlight magic event. I was only there 3 days, 2 nights and saved quite a few bucks with my DVC discount, too (haven't activated the AP's yet). I can easily say that $1500 of that price difference would already be absorbed if it was our family. We are also planning to take advantage of some tour discounts, etc. If you're not buying APs or taking advantage of other "stuff", let it go and don't worry about it.

Sooo... Wife and I have a resale contract that just passed ROFR and are waiting for closing. That likely won't occur prior to this deadline thus I won't have a chance to do the 25pt. add-on option that we were originally planning for the benefits.

Yeah there's not much you can do about it either. Even if you do manage to close before the 24th you would likely have to Add On at CCV or Aluani.

Call now, buy 50 as a new member. Same UY if you can, different if necessary.

If same UY, give your new number to your resale broker so that the resale contract can be added to your now “current” contract.

Yes. You probably missed the 25 point add on. But, if you work it, you can possibly still get in for 50.

Unfortunately - yes that's the case....you MIGHT be able to still buy 50 points direct and get the points, but unlikely you can add 25. However, I would suggest you call Disney and asked. Since you have passed ROFR it's now mostly formality, they might let you get the 25 point amount...but I would guess not.

Yeah there's not much you can do about it either. Even if you do manage to close before the 24th you would likely have to Add On at CCV or Aluani.

I see some people suggesting a 50 point purchase (don't need your resale to close) as an alternative. Saves you 25 points but only you know if it's worth it to you and availability is also in question.

Maybe not. You know what use year and resort you are buying and how it will be titled. Why not call today and see if you can get an add on to match. You might have to buy 50, though, since they will probably consider you a new member since you haven't closed and so must buy minimum for new contract. You have to decide if that would be worth it to you. Good luck!

Just seen
I was upset enough about the 4/4/16 changes to write a very public letter to DVC.

1. I’ve long expected these changes. I expected 50 to match current minimum new purchase.

2. Are they going to make minimum 75, or are they really going to create new members with all direct points non-perks members?

3. I expected far more changes than this. So this isn’t a bad as I feared it would be.

4. This is why we’ve advocated to fence sitters of the 25 point add on to do so while it was available. Honestly, I don’t think the 75 point minimum is a bad deal so much as the 25 point minimum was just a really really good deal. We knew that was a loophole that wouldn’t last.

I think I know what you are saying here Ziravan- well done you.

Unfortunately - yes that's the case....you MIGHT be able to still buy 50 points direct and get the points, but unlikely you can add 25. However, I would suggest you call Disney and asked. Since you have passed ROFR it's now mostly formality, they might let you get the 25 point amount...but I would guess not.

Wife is on the phone now... We will find out soon.

Well, I wonder how quickly I can get 25 AKV or OKW direct...sigh.

I would be surprised if DVC did NOT have these resorts available right now, especially if you do not put off calling to purchase. I'm betting there will be a lot of sold-out inventory being scarfed up before the deadline that is fast approaching.

Maybe not. You know what use year and resort you are buying and how it will be titled. Why not call today and see if you can get an add on to match. You might have to buy 50, though, since they will probably consider you a new member since you haven't closed and so must buy minimum for new contract. You have to decide if that would be worth it to you. Good luck!

I really doubt they would bend the rules for anyone looking to buy only 25 points, considering there are probably dozens, if not hundreds, of people already in the system who will be looking to add those same 25 points over the next 2 weeks. Going in asking for 50 is the way to go because it gets you those points without having to wiggle anything for them, and your guide may be more motivated to find them for you, as it is worth more to DVC to sell those points than only 25.

I would be surprised if DVC did NOT have these resorts available right now, especially if you do not put off calling to purchase. I'm betting there will be a lot of sold-out inventory being scarfed up before the deadline that is fast approaching.

They could also be hoarding the 25 point contracts. If just 2/5 of the people who were going to buy 25 points end up buying 75 instead, they still come out ahead.

I asked about same resort different UY, or different UY different resort, but he said he would have to check and call me back. I’m not very hopeful this will happen. It’s like they didn’t want to take my money:confused3

As someone here has said, one can manage 2 UY's (2 separate memberships), but as a 20+ year member, I personally would avoid that unless it was truly the ONLY option. Too much hassle IMHO.

I have a February use year assuming they have it available and I get the 25 do I just get this years points?

You would get Feb 2018 points, but would not get the so-called "back-dated" points from the 2017 use year since that is now past.

Or are 25/50 point contracts going the way of the dodo bird

Each and every DVC contract is an "undivided interest", which means that any contract purchased, whether as little as 25 points, or an odd number like a couple of my contracts, can NOT be split. IOW, it would have to be sold in the precise point size it was at original purchase. Hope that makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter