Electric wheelchair

only hope

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I am probably going to buy an electric wheelchair within the next six months (unless I get some sort of diagnosis that is treatable but that is unlikely) and am looking for recommendations. I’ve been chronically ill for two years so am somewhat new to needing mobility devices. Currently I use a transport chair when I an going to be out all day; I bought one used for $35 at a thrift store. I haven’t had to use it a whole lot, just on vacation and a handful of theme park days, but I am activating my annual pass for Disney this fall and so want the freedom that an electric wheelchair provides compared to needing to be pushed. It is also a little hard on mom sometimes to push me. I’ve found it to be a very bumpy ride though buying a cushion has helped some.

I need an electric chair and not a scooter because I do walk some at the parks and I need to use it throughout all queues; most queues at Disney are accessible but none at Universal are and I will be going there eventually. I also want to be able to easily use it indoors at museums and such, which would be hard with a scooter. I need something that has handles on the back so it can be pushed when I am walking, is lightweight enough to be lifted easily in and out of the trunk, has a battery that lasts all day and is TSA approved, is water resistant enough for me to keep going in moderate rain, adjustable footrests, and preferably that doesn’t cost thousands of dollars. Nice to have would be adjustable armrests and a smoother ride than the transport chair. I’ve tried researching and the options are overwhelming and most seem to be $3000+. Do local mobility stores sell chairs at a lower price? Is there some other way other than Amazon or the main websites that seem to come up in every search? Any specific brand/model recommendations?

My suggestion would be to look up a medical equipment provider near you and see what they have. They should have at least some that you can look at and test drive. Even if they don’t have any that meet what you are looking for, just driving a power chair might be helpful for you.

I can’t be helpful for the type of power chair; my daughter is on her third power chair, but because of her abilities, she needs custom wheelchairs, which are a lot more expensive and usually don’t break down for transport.
There are quite a few chairs that meet what you described. I’d suggest doing a search, then looking for reviews and also where/how repairs would be done if needed

Quantum announced today that they’re going to have a new rear wheel drive chair coming soon. (Here’s to me hoping that they’ll have an HD version too.)

Quantum announced today that they’re going to have a new rear wheel drive chair coming soon. (Here’s to me hoping that they’ll have an HD version too.)
For the OriginalPoster, Quantum is Pride Mobility’s Rehab (custom specialized) division. So, not really the type the OP is looking for

Hi,

I am probably going to buy an electric wheelchair within the next six months (unless I get some sort of diagnosis that is treatable but that is unlikely) and am looking for recommendations. I’ve been chronically ill for two years so am somewhat new to needing mobility devices. Currently I use a transport chair when I an going to be out all day; I bought one used for $35 at a thrift store. I haven’t had to use it a whole lot, just on vacation and a handful of theme park days, but I am activating my annual pass for Disney this fall and so want the freedom that an electric wheelchair provides compared to needing to be pushed. It is also a little hard on mom sometimes to push me. I’ve found it to be a very bumpy ride though buying a cushion has helped some.

I need an electric chair and not a scooter because I do walk some at the parks and I need to use it throughout all queues; most queues at Disney are accessible but none at Universal are and I will be going there eventually. I also want to be able to easily use it indoors at museums and such, which would be hard with a scooter. I need something that has handles on the back so it can be pushed when I am walking, is lightweight enough to be lifted easily in and out of the trunk, has a battery that lasts all day and is TSA approved, is water resistant enough for me to keep going in moderate rain, adjustable footrests, and preferably that doesn’t cost thousands of dollars. Nice to have would be adjustable armrests and a smoother ride than the transport chair. I’ve tried researching and the options are overwhelming and most seem to be $3000+. Do local mobility stores sell chairs at a lower price? Is there some other way other than Amazon or the main websites that seem to come up in every search? Any specific brand/model recommendations?
There are some members in this forum who love Fold and Go, and I have a Falcon Recliner. However, they do run about $3,000. You could search Facebook Marketplace for a used one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter