Escape from Gringotts just.... meh

I almost said "new" in my defense but good point. :)

I didn't mean to single out the word "newer". I was just making a point about anything new at Disney that didn't use screens or was a kiddie ride.:goodvibes

So do the cars you actually design for the Tron Track work now or are they still trying to figure that one out?

I can guarantee that my elbow will not be killing me when I step off Gringotts either!:thumbsup2

And then there is the whole Soarin 2.0 in 3D they are putting in Avatarland. I bet screens will be perfectly acceptable then. :rolleyes1

Not only will it be acceptable, it will be the best thing ever....even if it takes 5 years to be built!

I would agree, Splash Mountain is one of my favorite rides as well. I think the key is attention to detail. On Splash Mountain they paid attention to every detail. Journey of the Little Mermaid isn't bad but it's missing that something that makes it great. The queue to the old Dueling Dragon was excellent and everything except the opening video was static. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlJT_-0zqYk

the old DD queue (before it was Potterized) is my favorite theme park "attraction" of all time, barely beating out the queue of Indy

Some people are just a little less enthusiastic about rides based on screens, even if the technology is impressively executed. I haven't had a chance to ride Gringotts yet (that will be in October), but I was a little disappointed to hear that it has few or no physical effects, unlike FJ. I love the dragon, the whomping willow and the Dementors from that ride. In Gringotts, why are the AAs all in the queue?

I remember when Transformers and Radiator Springs Racers both opened in summer 2012. Of the two, Transformers seems to be the more cutting-edge ride. Yet, I prefer RSR because it has physical sets and AAs, whereas Transformers is mostly about screens. And I'm saying this as someone who's always been a sucker for 3D!

When Spider-Man first opened, it was certainly a highly advanced and innovative ride -- and Transformers pushed the envelope even more when it comes to 3D/4D rides. That seems to be the case with Gringotts, too. But, for all the technological advances that Universal has pioneered, I'm afraid that critics have a point when they say that Universal relies too heavily on screens. A little more balance would be good.

Disney may not be innovating as much, but they more often put something in front of you which is real, which could be touched (if you were close enough). And our minds can tell the difference.

This is not meant as a criticism of Universal. I just want to add to this discussion by pointing out that cutting edge tech is not the be all and end all when it comes to the ride experience.

Exactly how I feel. I find it really hard to get excited about screens. I guess because of my job I stare at screens all day and also the fact that everything is on screens now. I much prefer the physical sets

I know there is a rumor about King Kong coming back to Universal Studios....I really hope it's an actual AA but I have a feeling that it's just going to be 3D glasses and screens.

I guess it comes down to money. Rides with screens are much cheaper to develop and maintain...but for me they just lack a lot of the excitement

Ellen is pretty bad but Ripley in the GMR is even worse. Both of them really need to be redone stat!

Ellen and Bill Nye were added to Universe of Energy during a redo many years ago. I don't think that Ellen was in anything else before that.

Ripley isn't even an AA, I think the head just moves back and forth slightly

Are there any newer attractions at WDW that don't use screens or are just kiddie rides? I might be forgetting some but that seems to be what the themeparks use a lot nowadays.

Let's find out. Looking at the past 14 years (this century), the "major" new attraction (rides and purpose built shows) and in my opinion on a scale of 0-5 how much projection is involved.

MK
2014 - 7DMT -1 (Dwarf shadows on lift hill)
2012 - Little Mermaid - 1 1/2 Projected Water/ Ariel getting legs etc.
2012 - ETWB -1 (Enchanted Mirror effect)
2007 - Monster Inc Laughing Floor - 5
2005 - Stitches Great Escape - 3 1/2
2003 - Mickey's Philarmagic - 5

EPCOT
2009 - Sum of all thrills - 5
2007 - Grand Fiesta - 3
2006 - Seas with Nemo - 3
2005 - Soarin - 5
2003 - Mission Space -5
2002 - Imagination - 1 (but more than original)

DHS

2009 - American Idol -2
2008 - TSMM -5
2005 - LMA -1.5

DAK
2007 - Finding Nemo the Musical -1
2006 - Expedition Everest 1.5
2002 - Primeval Whirl and Triceratop Spin -0

So that's 6 "newer" attractions (4 if them rides) that are nearly 100% video based. It would climb to 7 and 5 if you count Star Tours 2.0 as "new".
In all of Univeral you have.

USF
2014 Escape from Gringotts 4.5
2013 Transformers 4.5
2013 Kudo and Kang - 0
2012 Despicable Me 5
2009 Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit -0
2008 Simpson's 5
2004 Revenge of the Mummy 1
2000 MIB - 1

IOA
2010 Harry Potter & Forbidden Journey 3.5
2006 Seuss Trolley 0

So, at Universal they've replaced 2 100% video rides with 2 new 100% video rides; Installed 2 heavy projection with real surrounding sets; and installed 1 nearly 50/50 projection real sets.

Both chains have done a whole lot with video projection in their attractions. Disney seems to have done better with installing rides with minimal attractions, Universal has done better in making their video rides not 100% video based and "blurring the line" projection and reality.

Another thing that's interesting is Universal's increased use of Animatronic in the Queue; The sorting hat in Forbidden Journey and the goblins in Gringott's where you can get a long look at their creations as opposed to the Yeti in EE that flies by in 2 seconds.

I know there is a rumor about King Kong coming back to Universal Studios....I really hope it's an actual AA but I have a feeling that it's just going to be 3D glasses and screens.

The current rumor is it will be a combination of both (similar to Expedition Everest but not a roller coaster) were you will meet both a video production of Kong, probably with 3d Glasses similar to the part of the backlot tour at Universal Hollywood, and you'll meet an Animatronic Kong. The rumors I've heard also suggest it will be a combination outside inside ride.

Of course early rumors had an AA Dragon in Gringott's.

The current rumor is it will be a combination of both (similar to Expedition Everest but not a roller coaster) were you will meet both a video production of Kong, probably with 3d Glasses similar to the part of the backlot tour at Universal Hollywood, and you'll meet an Animatronic Kong. The rumors I've heard also suggest it will be a combination outside inside ride. Of course early rumors had an AA Dragon in Gringott's.

I've also heard it will be a guided tour similar to how JAWS was.

And how many thrill rides with massive G's can one really take in a "half day park" anyway? ;)

Massive G's at Universal Park Orlando....hmmm.

But mostly was hoping for more pressure on WDW to increase thrill rides-because of the Gringotts success. Now they can just stay family friendly and say they were right all along.

Rode this morning. Agree with the "meh". Thought FJ was better and agree the drop at the start was the only good bit; the rest seemed just a mediocre dark ride with screens. Not a fan. Glad we used EE and didn't wait; can't believe people wait 4 hours for this!

So we just got back from our first family trip to Universal. On Monday we went and really had it in our heads we'd ride the new Gringotts ride.

So after arriving at around 8:15am, we headed straight back and proceeded to wait close to 4 hours to ride. it.

Wait time said 150 minutes. But the ride evidently kept breaking down. So we had long periods of waiting.

So up front - no ride is worth a 4 hour wait. Period.

That said, I thought it was a cool little ride but was kinda disappointed it didn't have as much interesting stuff in the line as Forbidden Journey (I had a chance to go with my company this past year).

I thought Daigon Alley was really well done and it helps that it's built such that you really don't see the rest of the park (one of my bigger complaints around Universal as a whole in terms of theming).

Now interesting thing is, we rode the ride and all liked it. I did have issue making out everything being said and didn't really get the storyline. But I digress.

We spent the rest of the day in park and rode Simpsons, Despicable Me, Transformers, Mummy - and after riding a lot of the other rides my wife turns to me and says, "ya know - I'm not as impressed with the Harry Potter ride now as I was this morning. All Universal seems to do is the movie simulators".

And that was an issue for me as well. My favorite ride was the mummy - it was a real roller coaster and I didn't realize how much for me a ride like that makes more of a difference.

Again, loved the theming of Daigon Alley and if there is a wait of less than an hour I'd totally do the Gringott's ride again, but for my money I'd like a bit more ride to the ride than movie. Ok, just my $0.02.

E.T. forever! :love:

That was one of our favorites as well that day. Of course our 13 year old didn't know what ET was (terrible parenting).

But I didn't mean to say every ride was simulators, just that my wife's impression of HP was diminished when she saw how many times Universal used the same technology in other places. :)

Let's find out. Looking at the past 14 years (this century), the "major" new attraction (rides and purpose built shows) and in my opinion on a scale of 0-5 how much projection is involved.

MK
2014 - 7DMT -1 (Dwarf shadows on lift hill)

I hate to nitpick but really every dwarfs face is a projection....technically

So we just got back from our first family trip to Universal. On Monday we went and really had it in our heads we'd ride the new Gringotts ride.

So after arriving at around 8:15am, we headed straight back and proceeded to wait close to 4 hours to ride. it.

Wait time said 150 minutes. But the ride evidently kept breaking down. So we had long periods of waiting.

So up front - no ride is worth a 4 hour wait. Period.

That said, I thought it was a cool little ride but was kinda disappointed it didn't have as much interesting stuff in the line as Forbidden Journey (I had a chance to go with my company this past year).

I thought Daigon Alley was really well done and it helps that it's built such that you really don't see the rest of the park (one of my bigger complaints around Universal as a whole in terms of theming).

Now interesting thing is, we rode the ride and all liked it. I did have issue making out everything being said and didn't really get the storyline. But I digress.

We spent the rest of the day in park and rode Simpsons, Despicable Me, Transformers, Mummy - and after riding a lot of the other rides my wife turns to me and says, "ya know - I'm not as impressed with the Harry Potter ride now as I was this morning. All Universal seems to do is the movie simulators".

And that was an issue for me as well. My favorite ride was the mummy - it was a real roller coaster and I didn't realize how much for me a ride like that makes more of a difference.

Again, loved the theming of Daigon Alley and if there is a wait of less than an hour I'd totally do the Gringott's ride again, but for my money I'd like a bit more ride to the ride than movie. Ok, just my $0.02.

Universal has pretty much always been the "movie" side of the park, and IoA is the "actual ride" side. IoA has always been where we spend 80% of our park time, as the only ride we really love at US is the Mummy. I'm sure we'll flip and spend more than half our time on the US side next trip (5 weeks!) so we can check out Diagon Alley and Gringotts, but my heart belongs to IoA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter