Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

It's also offered only to drivers who have completed a minimum number of rides. I think it does also sync up with colors in the rider app. I'm only driving a few hours a week, so I haven't qualified for either of them.
I kind of doubt that Uber will expand the Beacon beyond the three test markets.

It's very cool, but nobody uses it...and obviously there is a cost involved -- both the cost of the Beacon and distribution. If they had it nationwide, riders would learn how to use it and it would be very helpful in crowded venues like you have in Orlando.

I am in a wheelchair and we decided to take Uber's over to other resorts for meals because the buses when they're packed even though I'm in a wheelchair people are standing in front of me holding on and it makes me scared,is uber easy to use at Walt Disney World and can we fold up a light aluminum wheel chair and put it in their trunk, any advice is appreciated as I have never used Uber before ,and we will have the wheelchair with us

I am in a wheelchair and we decided to take Uber's over to other resorts for meals because the buses when they're packed even though I'm in a wheelchair people are standing in front of me holding on and it makes me scared,is uber easy to use at Walt Disney World and can we fold up a light aluminum wheel chair and put it in their trunk, any advice is appreciated as I have never used Uber before ,and we will have the wheelchair with us
Yes, all Uber & Lyft drivers are required to take wheelchairs if they fit safely in the vehicle.

UberX & Lyft basic are required to have 4 passenger seats and 4 doors. It could be the smallest car on the market that meets those requirements. I don't know whether your chair would fit in all UberX's.

UberXL and Lyft Plus are larger vehicles, required to have at least 6 passenger seats. They are typically 3-row SUV's or minivans. There is generally cargo space in the back that should hold a folding chair no problem.

Depending on how many riders in your party, you might try UberX and see if it works out, or go straight to UberXL or Lyft Plus. If you try UberX and the chair won't fit, you might be charged a $5 cancellation fee, and then request an UberXL. I think there's a good chance you could get the cancellation fee refunded in that situation.

You might also want to post this question on the disABILITIES! board to get the experience of other chair users.

Be sure to get promo codes for Uber & Lyft before you create your account. You can get them from any driver or rider. After you create the first account, other members of your party can use the first account's referral code for additional discounts.

Last edited:
Yes, all Uber & Lyft drivers are required to take wheelchairs if they fit safely in the vehicle.

UberX & Lyft basic are required to have 4 passenger seats and 4 doors. It could be the smallest car on the market that meets those requirements. I don't know whether your chair would fit in all UberX's.

UberXL and Lyft Plus are larger vehicles, required to have at least 6 passenger seats. They are typically 3-row SUV's or minivans. There is generally cargo space in the back that should hold a folding chair no problem.

Depending on how many riders in your party, you might try UberX and see if it works out, or go straight to UberXL or Lyft Plus. If you try UberX and the chair won't fit, you might be charged a $5 cancellation fee, and then request an UberXL. I think there's a good chance you could get the cancellation fee refunded in that situation.

You might also want to post this question on the disABILITIES! board to get the experience of other chair users.

Be sure to get promo codes for Uber & Lyft before you create your account. You can get them from any driver or rider. After you create the first account, other members of your party can use the first account's referral code for additional discounts.
its just my husband and i and its a small wheelchair that folds up, i can transfer fine i just cant stand for more then 3 minutes . thank you for the info ;)

promo codes? ill have to look into that, it could get costly

its just my husband and i and its a small wheelchair that folds up, i can transfer fine i just cant stand for more then 3 minutes . thank you for the info ;)
You can probably split up then, front and back seat, and slide the chair into the back seat if it won't fit in the car's trunk. Just make sure there is nothing sticking out that might tear the seat or the back of the front seat.

You can probably split up then, front and back seat, and slide the chair into the back seat if it won't fit in the car's trunk. Just make sure there is nothing sticking out that might tear the seat or the back of the front seat.
Joel is correct, but understand that the driver is the sole judge of what will fit in their car without being a safety hazard or damaging the car.

I personally would not permit an unsecured wheelchair in the passenger compartment of a vehicle for safety reasons alone. In the event of a collision, the wheelchair becomes a projectile and I don't want a heavy metal object smacking me in the back of the head.

That said, just about any folding wheelchair should fit in the trunk, or securely positioned in cargo space behind the passenger seats, in just about any Uber. I really don't think you will have a problem.

The transfer into and out of the car will require extra time, effort, and patience for the driver, so a tip would be appropriate.

Joel is correct, but understand that the driver is the sole judge of what will fit in their car without being a safety hazard or damaging the car.

I personally would not permit an unsecured wheelchair in the passenger compartment of a vehicle for safety reasons alone. In the event of a collision, the wheelchair becomes a projectile and I don't want a heavy metal object smacking me in the back of the head.

That said, just about any folding wheelchair should fit in the trunk, or securely positioned in cargo space behind the passenger seats, in just about any Uber. I really don't think you will have a problem.

The transfer into and out of the car will require extra time, effort, and patience for the driver, so a tip would be appropriate.
its a junk aluminium fold up from apple im sure it will fit in the trunk

We're staying at Coronado Springs next week and I know we will be using uber at least once in our trip. Are they only allowed to pick us up at the main lobby area (El Centro)? Or can they pick us up in the Ranchos or Cabamas area- depending on which building we're staying in?
Thanks

We're staying at Coronado Springs next week and I know we will be using uber at least once in our trip. Are they only allowed to pick us up at the main lobby area (El Centro)? Or can they pick us up in the Ranchos or Cabamas area- depending on which building we're staying in?
Thanks
Unfortunately, CSR is the one resort where Uber & Lyft can't pick up at the rooms, because there are unmanned gates between El Centro & the lodging buildings. If you have someone who has difficulty walking, you could have one party member meet your driver at the lobby and then ride with them to your building, using your MB to open the gate.

Also, resort staff will not allow cars to wait at the porte-cochere. If you don't meet the driver within a few seconds, they'll probably be sent to the check-in parking area.

Unfortunately, CSR is the one resort where Uber & Lyft can't pick up at the rooms, because there are unmanned gates between El Centro & the lodging buildings. If you have someone who has difficulty walking, you could have one party member meet your driver at the lobby and then ride with them to your building, using your MB to open the gate.

Also, resort staff will not allow cars to wait at the porte-cochere. If you don't meet the driver within a few seconds, they'll probably be sent to the check-in parking area.

Great information! Appreciate it!

Just to clarify, as we will be arriving this Sat, July 15. You can use Uber, but only via the front/main entrance in El Centro, correct? I want to be sure that I understand correctly. Thanks for all your great information, very helpful

I've never used lyft or uber, and don't really want to have to, but it appears that the buses are now only running 45 minutes before park opening, and we have an early breakfast ADR at another resort. There's no way we could bus from our resort to a park to our ADR resort and find the restaurant in less than 15 minutes. :( Frustrating, as they advertised breakfast transit to me when reserving.

So, I'm wondering, which service is easier to use in scheduling a pickup? More reliable? Which app (phone with a fast draining battery and very little space) is most intuitive and uses the least amount of space? Only ever used a cab once, and it showed up almost 45 minutes late- so really nervous about trying something new in a new place so early in the morning. Compared fare calculators and it appears that Lyft would be significantly cheaper (by over $10) but I don't know how accurate those are. Everyone on these boards makes it out to be a very affordable option, but I'm skeptical as we will be traveling early and in peak season.

Any insight is appreciated! Thank you in advance. All the drivers on here seem really kind so that is reassuring.

POFQ to AKL (Jambo House?)- arriving by 7:10 a.m. as we need to find BOMA (first time visitors to that area) for a 7:30 reservation.

Just to clarify, as we will be arriving this Sat, July 15. You can use Uber, but only via the front/main entrance in El Centro, correct? I want to be sure that I understand correctly. Thanks for all your great information, very helpful
Yes, that is correct, only for Coronado.

So, I'm wondering, which service is easier to use in scheduling a pickup? More reliable? Which app (phone with a fast draining battery and very little space) is most intuitive and uses the least amount of space?
Both apps are very, very easy to use. Neither take a lot of room on your phone, and you will only have them running during your ride -- from the request to the closeout of the ride. Should be zero effect on your phone.

Usually when people have battery or memory issues with smartphones, it's because they have a lot of junk running in the background that they don't know about. If you can't figure it out yourself, take your phone to one of your phone company's stores and get some help. There are usually simple fixes -- sometimes as simple as just powering the phone completely off for a few minutes.
Only ever used a cab once, and it showed up almost 45 minutes late- so really nervous about trying something new in a new place so early in the morning.
Well, first of all Uber/Lyft is NOT a cab and you won't have that problem at WDW (or anywhere else). They are very convenient and will give you quick pickup. You shouldn't wait long for a cab either at WDW; I think their service is pretty good, but double the price.
Compared fare calculators and it appears that Lyft would be significantly cheaper (by over $10) but I don't know how accurate those are. Everyone on these boards makes it out to be a very affordable option, but I'm skeptical as we will be traveling early and in peak season.
Fare estimators are just that. The real-world solution is to download both apps and check both prices before placing your order. Rideshare fares don't vary with the season, but they do use dynamic pricing which means you may pay more during very busy periods. And when dynamic pricing (Surge with Uber, Primetime with Lyft) is in effect, the two companies do not surge together. So sometimes you will find a significant difference between fares -- but generally they are within pennies of each other. I don't think you will get Surge/PT with an early morning request.

All the drivers on here seem really kind so that is reassuring.
That's actually quite typical of the DIS generally. The DIS is easily the friendliest discussion site you'll ever find.

Relax...and have a great trip!

I need to uber/lyft/taxi from HS to GF for an ADR, will there be taxi's outside the gate or should I just arrange for uber/lyft ride? There will be 5 in our group btw

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter