Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Thank you. Can I ask a bunch of other questions now so I don't seem like an idiot the first time I use the app. Where is the drop off/pick up location for Uber and Lyft at Epcot and Magic Kingdom? Those are the two parks we will be going to. We are going to the food and wine festival and MNSSHP.

Check out post 1 of this thread. There's a great rundown there.

I checked RideGuru and it says that a ride from the Orlando International Airport to my hotel is $20.85. What do you guys feel is an appropriate tip? Also, any advice about being picked up from the airport because that is going to be the first attempt at using the app...ever. Likely Uber. I'm nervous. Especially because my first time using the app is at an airport which I know will be very busy.

I checked RideGuru and it says that a ride from the Orlando International Airport to my hotel is $20.85. What do you guys feel is an appropriate tip? Also, any advice about being picked up from the airport because that is going to be the first attempt at using the app...ever. Likely Uber. I'm nervous. Especially because my first time using the app is at an airport which I know will be very busy.
Install the apps and set up your account & payment method ahead of time.

Pickups at OIA are curbside on Level 2 - Arrivals. Do not request a ride until you have picked up your luggage and are at the curb (or within easy view of it.) Make note of which Door # you're at before requesting the ride. After you request the ride, expect the car to arrive in 5-10 minutes, as in most cases the driver must drive from a remote staging area to the terminal. The app will tell you the model of car, license plate, and driver's name and picture. Ask the driver his or her name so you know you're getting into the right car.

UberX or basic Lyft can be the smallest car that has 4 doors and 5 seats. If your people and all your luggage might not fit, request a larger car, which would be UberXL or Lyft Plus. On the Uber app, swipe the car type to the left or right to see additional vehicle types.

Check out post 1 of this thread. There's a great rundown there.
Except for one item I'm going to disagree with
It's simply not necessary to go to one of the resorts outside the IG, unless that's what you are closer to
They have installed an excellent pick up location in front of Epcot since this post was created. It's well marked and has benches for waiting. We prefer it over the Epcot resorts quite honestly

Last edited:

I know nothing about Uber or Lyft. I will be using one of them for the first time when I go to Disney in 15 days. My question is, are you able to tip Uber drivers in the app now? I really don’t want to carry extra cash for tipping. Because we are going to be needing to Uber often. So if that’s the case then I would rather take Lyft where the tip goes directly on your card.
Yes. See Post 1467 just above for the details on rating and tipping.

Install the apps and set up your account & payment method ahead of time.

Pickups at OIA are curbside on Level 2 - Arrivals. Do not request a ride until you have picked up your luggage and are at the curb (or within easy view of it.) Make note of which Door # you're at before requesting the ride. After you request the ride, expect the car to arrive in 5-10 minutes, as in most cases the driver must drive from a remote staging area to the terminal. The app will tell you the model of car, license plate, and driver's name and picture. Ask the driver his or her name so you know you're getting into the right car.

UberX or basic Lyft can be the smallest car that has 4 doors and 5 seats. If your people and all your luggage might not fit, request a larger car, which would be UberXL or Lyft Plus. On the Uber app, swipe the car type to the left or right to see additional vehicle types.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this all out. I greatly appreciate your time.

The tip amount is totally optional, and the driver will appreciate whatever you give them.

Don't be afraid of Uber. It's really easy. The big key is to be standing at the curb where you will be picked up before you order the ride. Don't order while in baggage claim, because you will probably get hit with a cancellation fee when the driver arrives before you do. Because of airport security regulations, drivers are not permitted to sit and wait for passengers -- you are there, or you're not.

You will receive a description of the car, the tag number (Florida has only rear tags, so that's not too helpful), and a picture of the driver. You will also be able to see the car approaching you on your rider app, and you will have the ability to call or text the driver if you need to give them any information about where you are. (All calls/txts go through intermediary numbers, so you will not have the driver's real phone number and they won't have yours. After the ride is completed, neither of you will be able to contact each other.)

If you can pick a location a little away from other people waiting, that will make you easier to see and easier for the driver to get to.

Relax...it's easy!

The tip amount is totally optional, and the driver will appreciate whatever you give them.

Don't be afraid of Uber. It's really easy. The big key is to be standing at the curb where you will be picked up before you order the ride. Don't order while in baggage claim, because you will probably get hit with a cancellation fee when the driver arrives before you do. Because of airport security regulations, drivers are not permitted to sit and wait for passengers -- you are there, or you're not.

You will receive a description of the car, the tag number (Florida has only rear tags, so that's not too helpful), and a picture of the driver. You will also be able to see the car approaching you on your rider app, and you will have the ability to call or text the driver if you need to give them any information about where you are. (All calls/txts go through intermediary numbers, so you will not have the driver's real phone number and they won't have yours. After the ride is completed, neither of you will be able to contact each other.)

If you can pick a location a little away from other people waiting, that will make you easier to see and easier for the driver to get to.

Relax...it's easy!

Thank you so much for the information!!!

A question for those of you who drive for either company. How do you feel when a passenger stops, and goes behind your car, to check the plate number? I had a discussion about this with someone the other day...just wondered if the driver felt like 'What, they don't trust me?' or something. Just curious.

A question for those of you who drive for either company. How do you feel when a passenger stops, and goes behind your car, to check the plate number? I had a discussion about this with someone the other day...just wondered if the driver felt like 'What, they don't trust me?' or something. Just curious.

Good question. I'm happier getting in an Uber in a state where the cars have front license plates.

I use Uber in other states, but when I get in the car I'm more comfortable when I can see that the license plate matches what the app says. If there's no front license plate, you can't see that it matches unless the car drives past you so that you can see the back of it.

Since I have not used Uber or Lyft before, when I download the apps is there a place I can get a code to use for money off a first ride?

Lyft kept putting credits on my account after I downloaded it.

For Uber, my friend gave me a code.

No sensible driver should mind things like that.

Both the driver and the rider are responsible for ensuring that the right rider gets in the right car. For the rider, it's an important safety protection. For the driver, it assures that we get paid for the right trip.

Matching car and rider can be difficult in crowded venues. Here in Miami, we have the Uber Beacon which helps a lot, but in most places it's dependent on the due diligence of both driver and rider -- finding each other in the crowd, and verifying both sides identity.

As a rider, you will have a description of the car, the tag number, the driver's name, and the driver's photo. And that photo is a recent selfie of the driver which Uber requires us to upload frequently before we go online. With Lyft, you should have a photo of the car as well, but the driver photo may be old.

Two things are critically important in verifying that you are getting in the correct car:
  1. The driver's picture on your app MUST match the driver's face. If it doesn't, you have the wrong driver even if they have the right car, tag, and give you the correct name. If the picture does not match, that's an unauthorized driver who almost certainly has not gone through the extensive background check process.
  2. Never ask a driver, "Are you Jim?" They may not be paying attention and the wrong person may say "Yes." Always ask, "What is your name?" An extra measure of protection, although the selfie is the best protection.
The driver should ask your name, and they should also ask you where you are going so they can compare what you say to ensure they have the correct rider. Yes, they have that info on their app, but they are just doing their due diligence.

Since I have not used Uber or Lyft before, when I download the apps is there a place I can get a code to use for money off a first ride?
The better way is to have someone directly refer you from their cellphone. There is a place on both the rider app and driver app for them to enter your phone number for the referral. Both you and the referring party will get bonuses or discounts of some type.

Also check things like Groupon and see if they have some kind of promotion going.

I have given my code to Lyft passengers and neither they nor I got any benefit.

I've never used Lyft or Uber. Planning on using them to go from MCO to PBH, PBH to Swan and maybe use it to supplement Disney buses. Some questions:
  1. Google maps let you get directions between two locations. One option is ride share. It gives the current price range for both uber and lyft, tells you how many minutes for a pickup and has a button to order a car (link to app or built in) Is that information reasonably accurate and current? Does it include surge multiples?
  2. Surge pricing. Is that rare (NYE) or common (park closing, park opening....)What multiple is common?
  3. Where to get picked up. An example. Assume a customer doesn't know better an order a Uber just after leaving the MK gates. Will the app set up a pickup by the TTC then hit the customer with a no show fee? or Does it tell you where to go and suggests ordering a car at that time. Exit DHS (for example) there is ample signage telling you where to get a resort bus. Is there signage telling you where to go for Uber? Same for DTD (or whatever abbreviation I should be using for Disney Springs). Is the location well marked with signage. Think of an Uber customer who doesn't frequent Disney internet boards. How will he know where to go? Will the app tell him? Does he have to look for signs? Ask a cast member.
Thanks.

We are thinking of using Uber/Lyft for 2 trips, one to a grocery store and one to the Disney store outlet on Vineland Ave. Do they wait for you like cabs or do we have to schedule a return trip? The outlets we might be there an hour so i understand not waiting but the grocery store maybe 15 minutes.

I've never used Lyft or Uber. Planning on using them to go from MCO to PBH, PBH to Swan and maybe use it to supplement Disney buses. Some questions:
Google maps let you get directions between two locations. One option is ride share. It gives the current price range for both uber and lyft, tells you how many minutes for a pickup and has a button to order a car (link to app or built in) Is that information reasonably accurate and current? Does it include surge multiples?
I am not familiar with ordering Uber/Lyft through Google Maps, but I know you can. I assume that any prices quoted would be directly from the rideshare company and would be accurate, including surges.
Surge pricing. Is that rare (NYE) or common (park closing, park opening....)What multiple is common?
That's extremely market, specific location, and time-determined. Joel or Rob can give you a better idea based on their local knowledge. But as I said above, just know that the two companies do NOT surge together.
Where to get picked up. An example. Assume a customer doesn't know better an order a Uber just after leaving the MK gates. Will the app set up a pickup by the TTC then hit the customer with a no show fee?
Wrong question. NEVER do that, because you will get hit with a cancellation fee 99% of the time.

Always be in position for pickup -- "toes to the curb," as we say -- before ordering your ride. In your example above coming out of MK, there are two ways you could request a ride from the exit of MK. One is to use your current location, the other would be to specify TTS. IN BOTH CASES, you would get cancellation fees -- because the driver can't get to the exit of MK, or because you wouldn't arrive at TTS in time for pickup.

If you only remember one thing about Uber/Lyft -- remember toes to the curb! You'll save yourself money and hassles.

The most common Uber pickup points are listed in the very first post on page 1 of this thread. I don't know the local stuff, so I don't know if the app will direct you to the proper place. I doubt it. You can ask CMs; most of them use Uber/Lyft and will know.

We are thinking of using Uber/Lyft for 2 trips, one to a grocery store and one to the Disney store outlet on Vineland Ave. Do they wait for you like cabs or do we have to schedule a return trip? The outlets we might be there an hour so i understand not waiting but the grocery store maybe 15 minutes.
Drivers usually will NOT wait for you while you shop, but that won't be a problem. Both Uber and Lyft have so many cars around that you won't wait more than a couple of minutes for pickup after shopping.

You can ASK your driver to wait, and some will if there is a decent tip offered and the anticipated wait is very short.

With Lyft, it can be confusing because they offer the option of listing multiple stops when you order the ride. Just keep in mind that the driver doesn't know about the stops until they pick you up, and they may very well not agree to waiting.

I had a Lyft rider with some kind of mental disability on Monday who was going to Target and back home. I think he would have been okay, but I didn't want to take the chance of stranding him, so I waited about 20 minutes. But that was a money-loser for me and I wouldn't do it normally.

If I have a family of 5, one child is almost two and needs a carseat, another child is 5, will that work for uber xl?

If I have a family of 5, one child is almost two and needs a carseat, another child is 5, will that work for uber xl?
Yes, but you will either need to provide your own carseat or order an XL with carseat.

Depending on where you are and where you are going, any Minnie Van would also work within WDW itself, because they all seat six and have two carseats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter