Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I have an etiquette question. Do people usually sit in the back or front?
Most riders sit in the back seat. Some drivers don't want anyone in the front seat because a front seat passenger can be distracting, and there is also a potential safety risk to the driver. I think that is especially true for female drivers. And sometimes, you will see drivers who have a bunch of personal junk in the front seat to discourage riders from sitting there.

However, if you've ever seen any of Lyft's TV commercials, they usually feature a rider sitting in the front because after all, Lyft is just "...a friend with a car." (Yawn). So there are varying opinions.

Personally, I sit in the back passenger-side seat if I'm riding alone, because it's the least distracting and least threatening for the driver. (It's a creepy feeling to be driving someone you don't know, and have them sitting directly behind you in the driver's-side rear seat.) But if I have DW and DD with me, I sit in front because three wedged in the back seat of most cars is much less comfortable. However, I always ask the driver if they mind if I sit up front.

I’ll probably just not rate her. I certainly didn’t tip her!
I think that's what I would do.

My response would also be influenced by the driver's rating, and we don't know what her rating was.

I had a Select driver in San Francisco in June who had a 24-inch crack in his windshield and whined about Uber the entire drive. But his rating was dangerously low and he was a full-time driver supporting a family. And his actual driving was fine.

I didn't want to hurt him, so I gave him 5 stars sorta as a gift. But I didn't tip him. (First and only Uber driver I have not tipped at least $5)

Yes, they can access the individual buildings at Riverside, no problem. There are no internal gates.

Thanks for the quick answer. One follow up question, do we need to text them and tell them we are at our building or can they tell by the GPS?

Thanks for the quick answer. One follow up question, do we need to text them and tell them we are at our building or can they tell by the GPS?
The GPS should tell them if you pin your location but I also text and let the driver know my exact building for added insurance. I figure anything that helps them locate me easier is useful

I haven't seen where to 'grade' my driver. Of course, I've only used Uber twice, so may not be seeing what is obvious. Could someone explain to me where I find this?
Also, if I look for just a regular car, from MCO to US, where would I be met at MCO? I'm trying to decide whether to use Mears or Uber...I know where Mears is, on level 1, both sides. But, I'm not sure where I would find my Uber ride.

I haven't seen where to 'grade' my driver. Of course, I've only used Uber twice, so may not be seeing what is obvious. Could someone explain to me where I find this?
Also, if I look for just a regular car, from MCO to US, where would I be met at MCO? I'm trying to decide whether to use Mears or Uber...I know where Mears is, on level 1, both sides. But, I'm not sure where I would find my Uber ride.
When the driver ends the ride, your rider app should display the rating screen, asking you to rate the ride 1-5 stars.

Ratings are optional, but are very important to drivers. Five stars is an A; four stars is an F...NOT a B! If a driver maintains a 4.6 average or below (92%) with Uber, they get fired. So I would not rate a driver 4 stars or below unless there is something REALLY wrong with the ride. If you rate a driver 4 stars or less, the app will offer you some choices to explain what went wrong. (Supposedly, several choices are issues which are out of the control of the driver and those do not count against the driver -- but I'm not sure we really believe that. There's no way to tell.)

If you do a rating. you will then see a tipping screen which allows you to leave a tip on the app, billed to your credit card. There are three choices of amount or you can enter a custom amount.

A day or two later, you will receive an email receipt for your ride and that email will also contain a link to rate/tip your driver if you did not do so previously.

The GPS should tell them if you pin your location but I also text and let the driver know my exact building for added insurance. I figure anything that helps them locate me easier is useful
Supposedly, there is a new option on the rider app for you to permit the driver to see your exact location. It's apparently something you have to affirmatively elect to do; it's not automatic.

Uber's been advertising it to drivers for a couple of weeks, but I have not seen it used one single time by a rider. It's possible that the option only shows up on the Uber navigation system, which almost nobody uses.

Level 2 - Arrivals. I'm not sure whether the app will direct you to a specific Door #. If it doesn't, it would be a good idea to text the Door # to your driver.

Supposedly, there is a new option on the rider app for you to permit the driver to see your exact location. It's apparently something you have to affirmatively elect to do; it's not automatic.

Uber's been advertising it to drivers for a couple of weeks, but I have not seen it used one single time by a rider. It's possible that the option only shows up on the Uber navigation system, which almost nobody uses.
It was actually mentioned on the update on my Uber app yesterday. I haven't used Uber since so not sure how it applies "in real life"

Level 2 - Arrivals. I'm not sure whether the app will direct you to a specific Door #. If it doesn't, it would be a good idea to text the Door # to your driver.
When you request a ride at MCO you have to enter the Door # you will be at when you request the pick up. It's all built in and part of the process.
So you can't just put MCO.
You have to tell it what door # or you can't even complete a request for a car. It doesn't direct you, you direct it, if that makes sense.

Uber/Lyft has dropped in price quite a bit from MCO, hasn't it? I'm curious, what is the current (non-surge) MCO-WDW price?

Uber/Lyft has dropped in price quite a bit from MCO, hasn't it? I'm curious, what is the current (non-surge) MCO-WDW price?
No. But, adding in the ability to request regular Uber/Lyft levels of service dropped the price quite a bit from only offering Select or Black levels of service.

We paid $25 (without tip) for UberXL (I feel that having suitcases means X is too small for me, DH and 2 suitcases)

No. But, adding in the ability to request regular Uber/Lyft levels of service dropped the price quite a bit from only offering Select or Black levels of service.

We paid $25 (without tip) for UberXL (I feel that having suitcases means X is too small for me, DH and 2 suitcases)
Thanks! I recall the price being around $60+.

What happened is that the Florida Legislature opened the entire state up to rideshare effective July 1, 2017. They removed local jurisdictions' ability to regulate rideshare operations and established statewide standards.

Previously, only Uber Select could pick up at MCO due to local regulations, but with the change regular Lyft and UberX can now pick up at MCO. Those fares are quite a bit lower than Select.

I know nothing about Uber or Lyft. I will be using one of them for the first time when I go to Disney in 15 days. My question is, are you able to tip Uber drivers in the app now? I really don’t want to carry extra cash for tipping. Because we are going to be needing to Uber often. So if that’s the case then I would rather take Lyft where the tip goes directly on your card.

Thank you. Can I ask a bunch of other questions now so I don't seem like an idiot the first time I use the app. Where is the drop off/pick up location for Uber and Lyft at Epcot and Magic Kingdom? Those are the two parks we will be going to. We are going to the food and wine festival and MNSSHP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter