Excuse my ignorace but how is/was the earthquake?

I was at DL during the 2008 Chino Hills quake. They shut down the rides for a few hours. I think the quake hit around noon, and things were back to normal by late afternoon, IIRC.

I was in Chino Hills that day, walking through a parking lot to get to my car and it felt like I was riding a wave the ground moved so much!!!

I didn't know we had an earthquake today either!

I'm surprised so many people in SoCal didn't feel it! I'm in the Valley and it was pretty intense here.

DL is between the Whittier Fault (part of the Elsinore fault system) and the Newport-Inglewood-Rose Canyon fault system. The newport-inglewood is capable of a much larger earthquake, and thus more shaking at DL, even though it is further away.

I'm surprised so many people in SoCal didn't feel it! I'm in the Valley and it was pretty intense here.
It was an odd one. Me and three other co workers were sitting next to each other. One stopped mid conversation asking if we felt the earthquake. The rest of us didn't feel anything. So we dismissed him and he was actually right lol.

I then text my friends if they felt it. One was in Pasadena, the other in Westwood and they didn't feel anything either.

It was an odd one. Me and three other co workers were sitting next to each other. One stopped mid conversation asking if we felt the earthquake. The rest of us didn't feel anything. So we dismissed him and he was actually right lol.

I then text my friends if they felt it. One was in Pasadena, the other in Westwood and they didn't feel anything either.
My daughter was in Thousand Oaks, and she didn’t feel it either.

My only experience in the area when there was a large earthquake was in 1987. We lived a mile’s walk from Disneyland at the time of the 5.9 Whittier earthquake which was pretty intense (a short bookcase nearly toppled over in our house—after that we anchored ALL of the bookcases to the walls, not just the tall ones!) and I remember that Disneyland opened and operated as normal on that day. I had class so I wasn’t there myself, but my best friend was an AP holder and went to Disneyland after school and said things were pretty normal. The quake occurred before park opening time (sometime before 8 AM), so they probably had ample time to get at least some if not all of the rides checked before the park opened (it was in off season, so my guess would be park opening around 10, maybe as early as 9 that day? I think it opened at 10 mostly in off season midweek in the 80s, but it’s been a while, so I can’t say for sure).

My guess is safety wise, it is pretty well engineered for quakes, as that Whittier quake was close enough (20 miles or less from Disneyland) and strong enough that there were structural damages to homes and workplaces of my family members, but at Disneyland everything was pretty much like normal as far as we locals knew.

I was at DL during the 2008 Chino Hills quake. They shut down the rides for a few hours. I think the quake hit around noon, and things were back to normal by late afternoon, IIRC.

We were literally stepping off the monorail at the Downtown Disney station. The gap between the platform and train kept getting larger, smaller, larger, smaller. Took us a second to realize what was happening. They evacuated that train SO fast and got everyone down the stairs and out of the station in record time.

We were literally stepping off the monorail at the Downtown Disney station. The gap between the platform and train kept getting larger, smaller, larger, smaller. Took us a second to realize what was happening. They evacuated that train SO fast and got everyone down the stairs and out of the station in record time.
That was a crazy day! I’ve experienced many quakes in my life, but never one where I felt like I was seeing the ground actually move.

I remember watching CA Screamin’ being tested again and again (with passenger-less cars) from our room at GCH. When we heard riders screaming again, we figured things were up and running again.

This was how my friend described it...
Durban-quake-th.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter