Fantasy 7-Night Eastern Caribbean (San Juan) Cruise 3/9/13 - 3/16/13

We heard the same thing about the stabilizers. That was our 3rd cruise on the Fantasy and 8th overall and that was definitely the rockiest voyage of them ALL!!!

Firegoofy - forgot to thank u for the patch magnet. This is special because my Dad & bro are both firefighters. They thought the patch was awesome to receive ;)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Regarding the stabilizers, I was talking with a crew member (he probably should not have told me) and he said Hurricane Sandy ruined something in the engineroom and stabilizing system. They cannot do anything about it until the first dry dock...4 years from now!!! He said many are wondering if it will ever be the same. I was on the Fantasy twice before the hurricane and it was smooth, now after, it was rocky and jumpy. Two separate issues, the jumpy is something wrong with one of the engines or the engine mounts. The rocking is solely related to the stabilizers. I personally think Disney needs to pull it in to dry dock to fix it soon.

We stayed in the same room as before and the vibrating of the engine this time was awful. No more Aft for us until it's fixed.

Wow! I agree with you! If it is going to continue to be that bad no matter what the ocean is like, they need to get it fixed soon! We were shocked! Our fourth Disney cruise and have never felt anything close to the way it was. Luckily didn't really affect any of us except for my dh a little. But, I am STILL feeling it. Getting better every day. Fine sitting down, but any time I move, I feel it. Driving is pretty wild!

Regarding the stabilizers, I was talking with a crew member (he probably should not have told me) and he said Hurricane Sandy ruined something in the engineroom and stabilizing system. They cannot do anything about it until the first dry dock...4 years from now!!! He said many are wondering if it will ever be the same. I was on the Fantasy twice before the hurricane and it was smooth, now after, it was rocky and jumpy. Two separate issues, the jumpy is something wrong with one of the engines or the engine mounts. The rocking is solely related to the stabilizers. I personally think Disney needs to pull it in to dry dock to fix it soon.

We stayed in the same room as before and the vibrating of the engine this time was awful. No more Aft for us until it's fixed.

This is interesting. I asked our assistant server if she had been on board during the hurricane and how it was (she is finishing out her contract period soon). Her initial answer was "It was scary!". She seemed to almost correct herself though and quickly added, "but I always knew we were SAFE.". I kind of wish now I had asked her how she knew? It seemed like she did not want to have it appear Disney was putting anyone at risk.

I found the movement and waves exciting, being from a part of the country where I've experienced hurricanes, but having just tonight researched the hurricane sandy fantasy voyage, I'm kind of glad I waited to do so after we cruised. It's a little unsettling. previously I had just seen the YouTube videos, but reading the passenger accounts is quite scary to say the least!

I gotta tell you - I was on the Fantasy Dec 8-15. After Hurricane Sandy, but before our cruise & in the same aft room (8188). The ship was fine. It did not rock n' roll AT ALL. I wonder if perhaps it's getting worse as time goes on??

The original crew that came over on the Fantasy from Germany said that Hurricane Sandy was nothing compared to crossing the Atlantic! During the Captain's Reception, we talked to Cameron from the US (Manager of HR), who told us that he was on board during the sea trials with Capt Tom after the float out. He said that they listed the ship, and did crazy things to make certain they could handle seas/weather like that. Giovanni from Ooh La La said not one single bottle of champagne broke in there (we asked as he was telling us about a few $400-$800 bottles of champagne they have). In fact, no bottles broke in any bar; just the shops. I found it interesting that a lot of the crew wanted to talk about it, too!!

Hubby was still feeling the land move through Sunday.
He also had a hard time on the ship. Not seasickness with a sick stomach but just feeling the ship moving and wanted to sleep most of the time. He only left the cabin to eat and see the show on the sea days.

The ship motion did affect us..........to the point that I'm not sure we will ever do another cruise.

Within a few hours of leaving Port, myself and DS(17) started feeling unwell.
I got out the supplies I had packed. We started with seabands--nothing, moved on to ginger gravol--nothing, went to the 12 hour gravol--worked eventually :sad2:
We had late dinner and went down, arrived at table, we looked at each other and apologised to our servers, and left.
We were both out for the rest of the night.
Because of this, DS and DD did not get to Vibe that night and they then never felt comfortable there.
So, it did really affect out experience.
By the next day, medicated, we managed.
The gravol did me in most nights by 11, DS was coping better.
We were hearing from veteran cruisers that that was not the norm.
We heard varying explanations/rumors including the stabilizer bars, ship was going too fast, ship was going too slow, etc.
We saw evidence of other people feeling poorly too.
If we ever go again, I will look into the patch.
We did have a good time.......loved our trip excursions, and the Ports, the service, and how my Gluten allergy was accommodated, but it is a lot of $ to not feel well for half of the trip:sick:

I am relieved to hear it might have been the stablizers...I thought maybe it was the month and that March was just rougher seas. I was seriously debating booking again for next March bc of the movement. It really was awful. Like pp, I missed the first dinner too - sat down, looked at dd and saw she was going to lose it, and hightailed it out of there. Her and I had a few rough days like a lot of others it seems.

I am relieved to hear it might have been the stablizers...I thought maybe it was the month and that March was just rougher seas.

I heard this a lot. However, if you looked at the water at all, it wasn't rough at all. No white caps and minimal swells. This had to point to a different cause.

We noticed a lot of empty tables the 1st & 2nd nights and also our server said motion is worse in Animators.

I have a friend who cruised on the Dream during our cruise and she just asked if our cruise was rocky, as theirs was as well, especially sailing out.

I did notice at times it was smooth especially later on when it was less windy. When it WAS windy, it was weird the sounds in the room when we had the balcony door opened and we also opened the door to the hall. Lots of pressure!

Are transatlantic cruises super rocky? That is my dream to cruise to/from Europe, but maybe not (yikes)!

I have a friend who cruised on the Dream during our cruise and she just asked if our cruise was rocky, as theirs was as well, especially sailing out.

Cruises out of PC are 'rocky' the first & last nights because of crossing the Atlantic Coast Current.

Silverfox97 said:
I heard this a lot. However, if you looked at the water at all, it wasn't rough at all. No white caps and minimal swells. This had to point to a different cause.

We noticed a lot of empty tables the 1st & 2nd nights and also our server said motion is worse in Animators.

This cruise felt just as rough as our 2011 PC cruise where we couldn't dock at CC, there was white capping and according to the tV "very rough seas". But like you said, it sure didn't look that way. DH and I even commented on how the seas sure looked calm and wondered why it felt so rough. We were confused because we thought larger ships were supposed be smoother. One of the bathroom doors didn't latch good and it kept slamming open and shut. And one night, the ship felt to be vibrating straight up and down. DD mentioned she hit the walls a few times and I had to stop and hang on the railing a few times when wearing high heels. And climbing stairs was not easy at all when wearing heels!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

The stabilizers assist also when it is windy to keep the ship from rocking left and right. It was wind hitting the side of the ship making it rock due to the malfunction of the stabilizers.

In fact, this is proof of the problem...no waves and still rocking...stabilizers.

The stabilizers assist also when it is windy to keep the ship from rocking left and right. It was wind hitting the side of the ship making it rock due to the malfunction of the stabilizers.

In fact, this is proof of the problem...no waves and still rocking...stabilizers.

Exactly ;)

Most of the wind this cruise was from the side. That was the problem. :-)

Hubby was still feeling the land move through Sunday.
He also had a hard time on the ship. Not seasickness with a sick stomach but just feeling the ship moving and wanted to sleep most of the time. He only left the cabin to eat and see the show on the sea days.

I sent you a PM today--not sure if you'll still check the boards or not, now that our cruise has come & gone...but I was finally putting away the last of my FE items & had a question for you! Thanks!

I got out of the shower this AM and didn't know the girls were playing on of tge CDs were got ib our FE abd tge fiest thing I heard was the DCL chime. It brought me right back to the cruise. I was fulky expecting an announcement to follow. It made me smile.

I got out of the shower this AM and didn't know the girls were playing on of tge CDs were got ib our FE abd tge fiest thing I heard was the DCL chime. It brought me right back to the cruise. I was fulky expecting an announcement to follow. It made me smile.

This motivated me to find my cd's and will be listening to them in the car tomorrow :). I miss cruising!

I have that DCL chime as a ringtone and it works perfectly!

We only have a dummy date booked and don't expect to be cruising again until 2015! I'm bummed about that!

I have to say I got teary eyed driving thru downtown Houston on my way home today listening to 'Sailing' - I was so missing being on that big boat!! :(. LOVE the CD's!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter