Fantasy 7-Night Eastern Caribbean (San Juan) Cruise 3/9/13 - 3/16/13

We really enjoyed San Juan and made the ferry over to St. John..gorgeous. I was happy to purchase 2 hats in San Juan for my XL head. (I can never get hats here) We had several people from Carnival on our ferry to St. John, I guess that was their last good day.

It was nice seeing some familiar faces from past cruises, until next time!
Jill

Did you mean St. John from St. Thomas? It is lovely there. Very unspoiled since you can only arrive by boat. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

SSanders, thank you for recommending Sergio. We have been on a lot of cruises with wonderful waiters. I did not think they could get any better than our Magic favorites, and Sergio w/ Pamela out shined them all. I miss him!

Jill

I'm glad u liked him :) We love him and can't wait to see him again next year....sad it's going to be so long :(

He came over to our table on the last night & asked me if we heard of DIS boards, as that 'Miss Jill from Texas' said that's where the recommendation of him came from. He said he has a hard time with people requesting him that have never had him, because he gives 200% anyways, but feels he has to give more. He said he tried all week, but wasn't sure if he could 'crack Miss Jill.' He was so worried he didn't do a good job for you!!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed him. That was his first week with Pamela, too.

We were greatful for Cedomir, as he got us into Sergio's section at the late breakfast. We usually go to Cabanas on the last AM, but since Ced knew us from Dec., he seemed extra super helpful to us.

I had to chuckle - had I heard of DIS Boards LOL ;)

Did you mean St. John from St. Thomas? It is lovely there. Very unspoiled since you can only arrive by boat. :-)

I agree about how lovely it is!!! St John is my fave port overall. Went in June & going back next March. San Juan is a close #2 for sure for our family :)

I'm glad u liked him :) We love him and can't wait to see him again next year....sad it's going to be so long :(

He came over to our table on the last night & asked me if we heard of DIS boards, as that 'Miss Jill from Texas' said that's where the recommendation of him came from. He said he has a hard time with people requesting him that have never had him, because he gives 200% anyways, but feels he has to give more. He said he tried all week, but wasn't sure if he could 'crack Miss Jill.' He was so worried he didn't do a good job for you!!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed him. That was his first week with Pamela, too.

We were greatful for Cedomir, as he got us into Sergio's section at the late breakfast. We usually go to Cabanas on the last AM, but since Ced knew us from Dec., he seemed extra super helpful to us.

I had to chuckle - had I heard of DIS Boards LOL ;)

Oh goodness, my cousin was flirting with him so much, I just had to keep quiet at dinner. Hopefully my note on the survey made it to him. We really like Cedomir too. Good idea on the late breakfast. We got to visit with Sergio's roommate on the last day in Cabanas, another nice guy who waited on us in Palo.

(and yes 1Dizey, St. Thomas - St. John) Very nice, but I ran out of time to buy our Hook Bracelets for our anniversary. (No one store had the style and size that worked for both of us)
Time to get back to work! Jill

papertraveller said:
Please let us join the chorus of thank yous (and admission of your superior creativity) for the amazing and thoughtful Fish Extender gifts.

We had an amazing cruise. I had forgotten about being immersed in luxury, from the joy of having the room constantly tidied up and cleaned, to Frette linens, all the way to being offered chilled facecloths up at Satellite Falls. We loved the Fantasy. It seemed a bit large and overwhelming at first, but it didn't take too long to find our way around.

Palo was fantastic -- and thanks 3Goofys, the company was even better! We met our DIS friends in all kinds of places onboard and onshore. It really was nice to see familiar faces around and about.

Our daughter also made some fast friends, which means happy cruising for everyone. Thanks FireGoofy for sharing your DD.

And a funny story for those who may have seen my husband and daughter onstage with Magic Mike at the early show, where she hit Dad with a "pie" of shaving cream. When we got to our table at dinner, our table mates had arrived early, and asked the wait staff to get a plate of whipped cream. They kept it hidden on a nearby table.

They laughed about the show, and then handed the plate to my husband and said that perhaps he had something he'd like to do with it. Ever the good sport, soon DD was licking whipped cream off her face, too.

I think that's perhaps what I like best about cruising. I relax in luxury, and then laugh through the evenings. All good for the soul.

Thanks again everyone!

That is awesome!!!!!!

Now that I have been home for a few days I thought I would share a few of my reactions/comments to the cruise.

All in all we had a wonderful time. It seemed that the ship was definately rocking a lot more than I am used to. I'm not sure if it is the Fantasy in general or what it was. My husband said he was told they were having issues with the stabilizers. I'm not sure if that is the case or not. My doctor gave me the patch before this cruise though and I did not suffer from motion sickness this cruise even with it rocking more. The only time I had problems was when the patch fell off on Monday morning and I didn't know it for a couple of hours. Within an hour of putting a new patch on I was golden.

My first impression when we walked in the atrium was one of complete awe. I knew the ship was bigger than the Magic but I was stunned by the size and openness of it. I loved the atrium on the Fantasy. It never felt crowded to me on the ship at all. It was just beautiful.

We had main dining and our rotation was AERAERA. I loved the Animator's Palatte on the new ship. It was agreat rotation. In Animator's our table was in a little alcove and I got to have a nice long talk with Crush. It was perfect. Enchanted Garden felt very tight and crowded to me. On Formal night I spent most of the night in fear that they were going to drop a tray on my head at any minute because I felt like I was sitting in the the aisle. The Royal Court was a beautiful restaurant. I had a lot of fun in Animator's on Pirate night. It was great to have all the screen's play pirate scene's all evening. The final show at Animator's was just awesome! As much as I loved the restaurants I was underwhelmed with our serving team. The first two nights they were very-very slow. Our head waiter sensed our frustration and asked after the 2nd night if we wanted our service faster or slower and we asked for faster. It was better the rest of the week but I never really connected to either of our serving team. I sometimes felt like I was inconviencing them by asking for a diet coke.

They did let my almost 3 year old register for the Club. She didn't spend much time in there though. I was happy though that it was her decision as it made it easier to drop Megan off when she didn't want to go but had the option than if she wanted to go and didn't have the option. I hope that makes sense. Megan the almost 7 year old loved the club and lab. She didn't spend a lot of time there during the day but spent most every evening in there after dinner until I came to get her for bed.

Water areas on the ship - Both girls loved Nemo's Reef. I was thrilled they had a slide that my littlest one could use. She was in heaven in there. Both girl's also really loved the Mickey Pool. I know people complain about them being croweded, but honestly I never felt the pools were that crowded at all. I was always able to walk right up and find a seat by the pool. I never felt the kids were too crowded. The Aqualab could be fun, but it was way too windy and a bit chilly to use it. I imagine it would be great for summer cruises when it is 90+ outside. The Aquaduck was a lot of fun. Megan, James, my dad and I all enjoyed it. I would have liked to ride it a few more times, but Alice was attached to my hip most of the cruise and she is way too tiny to ride. Unfortunately I never made it to any of the adult areas of the ship so I can't comment on any of the other water areas.

Mid-Ship Detective agency. Megan loved playing. She and daddy did 2 missions and had a lot of fun. Alice and I joined them on and off for a few spots but Alice lost interest quickly. Normally because she would see a character and was very character smitten this cruise.

Speaking of characters. Alice fell in love with the characters. This was her 3rd cruise and she had a 10 day trip to WDW last Thanksgiving and she was always excited to see the characters from a distance but wasn't up for meeting them in person. And then there was this trip. So she and I saw a lot of characters this trip. I think she has a huge crush on Peter Pan. She saw him and had pictures with him. Then she saw him fly in Believe. Later that night we were picking up Megan from the club late and she asked for another 20 minutes so we went for a walk. We ran into Aurora on deck 5. As she was talking with Aurora she saw Peter down on 4 and started tell Aurora all about how Peter flew and was so excited so we ran down to 4 to see him again. The next night I was in line to book my dummy cruise for 2015 and she was hanging out looking over the balcony when Peter came up to her and squatted down and started looked over the balcony with her and surprised her completely. She was thrilled. The only real character line we stood in was for the princesses. The rest were really quite short. We were waiting for Minnie Mouse to come on Pirate night (We had just seen Daisy and went from the Daisy line back into the same line for Minnie). Alice was twirling in the atrium while I was in line when Minnie came up and started twirling next to her. All of a sudden Alice realized who was next to her - jumped and ran all the way around the line back to me. It was too funny.

Shows - We saw Alladin, Wishes, Believe, Til We Meet again. I think Alladin was my favorite show followed by Believe and then Wishes but I loved them all. We did the 3pm manatee's most days. Megan and my husband only saw Wishes. They were more interested in the pool or the Midship Detective agency or the club. Alice wanted to go to the pool on the day we went to Believe and then realized there was a show going on in the evening, so she and I went to the 8:30 show. She was mezmorized by it.

Pirate Night - I loved that they had 2 shows. The first show was great for the girls. We were right down front and the girls both loved it. Being able to just go up on deck to watch the fireworks for the 2nd one was perfect for the age of my girls. They were not as interested (ok they wen't interested at all) in Captain Jack Sparrow because they just don't know the POC series yet. I enjoyed what I saw of it but was thrilled with the fireworks. My parents watched from their verandah on deck 6 and loved their view.

Stateroom - we had a category 4D on deck 6. I loved the size of the room. I would have liked to be a little more midship and at least one deck higher in the future. Our stateroom host was great though. It was a long way in either direction from our room to the stairs.

Ship layout. I hated that the aft stairs landed in the middle of Cabanas. I loved the layout of cabanas but I hated walking through it when I was on my way to or from the pool. So I would go out of our wait to midship to come up to the pool instead of going to the aft through Cabanas. Other than that I liked the layout in general.

My only major frustration from the cruise was that it seemed everytime I would get dressed for a run and head down to deck 4, deck 4 was closed. There is no way I could have run on the treadmill in the gym because I couldn't walk a straight line most of the week. I never did get in a run. The longest I did was a single lap and by the time I came around for lap 2, they closed the port side. I'm sure it was just bad timing on my part.

This is longer than I planned and not as well organized so I'll do ports at a later time.

We heard the same thing about the stabilizers. That was our 3rd cruise on the Fantasy and 8th overall and that was definitely the rockiest voyage of them ALL!!!

Firegoofy - forgot to thank u for the patch magnet. This is special because my Dad & bro are both firefighters. They thought the patch was awesome to receive ;)

I meant to say thanks to ladybugmom for the heads up on cancelling your BBB appts on Formal night. I picked up one of the 4:30 appts and cancelled our semi formal night ones. It worked out perfectly. My daughter loved getting made up and they were so sweet. One of the girls in there put a little Mickey head clip in my 2 year old's hair. She was over the moon to get some attention too.

Anyone else STILL rocking and rolling? It is not horrible, but very noticeable and I am more than over it!!! Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

I most definitely am! Worse than previous years! If there are any suggestions would also welcome them!

Anyone else STILL rocking and rolling? It is not horrible, but very noticeable and I am more than over it!!! Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

I did wonder if there were issues with the stabilizers, as it was rolling, and the waves were not that big.

If it is calms seas I get the "rocking" when I get home, but since it was rough I do not have it this time.

What I have done in the past is take kids bonine , once I get home and it helps.

I did wonder if there were issues with the stabilizers, as it was rolling, and the waves were not that big.

If it is calms seas I get the "rocking" when I get home, but since it was rough I do not have it this time.

What I have done in the past is take kids bonine , once I get home and it helps.

Have regular Bonine that I took along on the ship. Can I try that you think? I am not sick, but just sick of going up and down and side to side. Even is a strange feeling when I drive. Feel like I am in la la land! :upsidedow

Have regular Bonine that I took along on the ship. Can I try that you think? I am not sick, but just sick of going up and down and side to side. Even is a strange feeling when I drive. Feel like I am in la la land! :upsidedow

Are you sure you don't have sinus issues? We came back to full blown tree pollens. My DH has been battling sinus problems all week.

I amazingly haven't had a problem this time. The first cruise was the worst for me. My biggest problem on that one was I got off the cruise, flew home on Saturday, Tuesday I flew to OKC and back to Houston and Wednesday I got on another plane and flew to CA. All the extra travel added time to my recovery. My hotel in CA was laid out exactly like the cruise ship stateroom (but much bigger) and I went to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and tried to step up into the room and almost fell since there wasn't a step.

It was definately rolling a lot more on this ship than on my previous 2 cruises.

Are you sure you don't have sinus issues? We came back to full blown tree pollens. My DH has been battling sinus problems all week.

I suppose it could be, but I don't have any sneezing, pressure, drainage etc...that usually go along with sinus issues. Hmmmmmm

Hubby was still feeling the land move through Sunday.
He also had a hard time on the ship. Not seasickness with a sick stomach but just feeling the ship moving and wanted to sleep most of the time. He only left the cabin to eat and see the show on the sea days.

I feel the movement occasionally but nothing like I did on my previous cruise which was much less rocky. Is it supposed to be that way? I would think it would be worse with a rockier cruise.

I do feel the longing for a Disney environment, especially when I go into a restroom at work - I miss the nice perfectly CLEAN Disney ones! Real life is bleah!

About the wooden cars - the guy who made them is so nice and really gave us a "magical moment". The first day, my daughter wasnt feeling good and starting to get sea sick and the guy saw and handed out a car to my dd and ds. The tears instantly stopped (and so did my stress) and they are still playing with the cars everyday. I wish I could thank him again. So nice!!

Firegoofy - thanks for all the stuff again. The magnets are on our fridge :)

Well, we are back home in Albuquerque, and I'm actually at work right now (I don't want to let go of the vacation feelings, so what better way than hanging out on the DIS boards?!). Spent the day at the airport on Saturday before our 3:30 flight out. Had time to do the suitcase shuffle to make sure all the weights were correct. Thank you all for the wonderful FE gifts. I have to say, I think this trip all of the gifts were terrific. Hannah was very sad to be leaving, but with her next sentence she would be asking how soon before we would be home. Now she keeps asking what time is it in Florida and what would we be doing on the ship.

We have now completed the slam - all four ships. For me, I can't see if I like the Magic or the Fantasy better. Both have their merits. For Hannah, it's definitely the Fantasy. We have a dummy cruise booked for October 2014 that we will move to 2015 when the dates get released.

Now it's time to start planning WDW for 2014.

Thank you everyone for a great trip. The meet and greet was awesome. So was GNO. Loved the drinks in Oo La La and the company.

Glad to see you made it home. This is first time on the DISboards since the cruise (I was too sad about the end of the cruise to come before now). That and we came back to -24 C and 2 days later 12 inches of snow (Mia enjoyed the snow day off from school but I wishing I was back at Castaway Cay with a coconut drink).

I just wanted to say it was a wonderful experience. Mia has been talking non-stop about her sting-ray experience to anyone who will listen. THANK YOU to all who made it such a great time (after the sea-sickness was under control:rolleyes1).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter