FastPass Policy - For Resort Guests Only

I'd be on board with it. Aside from free parking there really isn't much to differentiate off site resorts.

Disney has to do something to keep guests on site.

While I think making Fastpasses an exclusive perk to resort guests is a ludicrous notion, I don't really understand all of these "class" remarks. Disney World isn't a government institution. It's a business and Disney owes no one anything. Some people are wealthy, some people aren't; that's life. Why shouldn't someone who spends more money get more perks? The very act of visiting Disney World, regardless of where you stay, is class-dividing, as there are many people who cannot afford such a lavish vacation.

Good points and I basically agree with you. However, as a value/moderate level guest, I really LOVE it that in the parks I am "equal" with everybody else. (Although I admit I feel a little superior and smarter in that I know how to optimize our visits). It just makes WDW feel friendly and nice :rotfl:. It might not be reality, but its my perception and that makes my vacation feel happier.

So actual you are saying that those who pay for deluxe resort should not complain if Disney puts them in a value resort because because it is fair for all if the get the same treatment or resorts.

Believe me in due time Disney will change this police and yes it will be fair for the price you pay.
You can't expect to buy a cheap theater ticket and than get "loge seats".

Wow, that has nothing to do w/ FP's. :headache: Anyway, if WDW went the way of FP's as a perk with rooms, it should be a flat # regardless of the level of resort. It shouldn't be broken out where you get X amt at value, Y amt at moderate, and Z amt at Deluxe because right now FP is "free" for everyone. Period. But will it ever happen, who knows...

I'd be on board with it. Aside from free parking there really isn't much to differentiate off site resorts.

Disney has to do something to keep guests on site.
Very good point. Aside from the quality lodging and amenities, free transportation to the parks, extended theme park hours, baggage pick-up, free shopping deliveries, dining plan, and resort entertainment, you might as well stay at a Travelodge down the street.

NO, I always stay on site for the last 10 or more years but I wouldnt want others to suffer or have to pay for it like US...

I know it would cut down the wait for FP but I just dont agree..

Also if it happens, I think ALL resort guests should be treated the same.. Staying deluxe shouldnt give us any other perks than what is at the resort..

However, as a value/moderate level guest, I really LOVE it that in the parks I am "equal" with everybody else.
As an offsite, guest, I totally agree. If Disney tagged people based on their economic level, or actually gave tiered level of service based on where you stayed during your vacation, then that would make for a pretty miserable experience. However, once you're in the park, everyone is on equal ground. Until they shoo us offsite people out for EMH :laughing:

Personally, I like that resort guests are given extra perks. It gives me something to look forward to for the day when I get to stay on property, a goal I've had since I was 12-years-old.

I don't see anything wrong with the way that the system is currently. But I mean maybe if Disney wanted to keep people staying onsite, rather than offsite it might be an option. I'm not sure if I would agree with it though. Especially when it costs as much as it does to get into the park, having the option of a fastpass adds a little bonus into the amount that one is paying for a park ticket.

Very good point. Aside from the quality lodging and amenities, free transportation to the parks, extended theme park hours, baggage pick-up, free shopping deliveries, dining plan, and resort entertainment, you might as well stay at a Travelodge down the street.

I only stay onsite and greatly enjoy it, but we'd all be fooling ourselves to believe some of the benefits Disney sells in their packages are "free." I'll play the devils advocate.

These days I wouldn't exactly call the dining plan a benefit because you can get better dining options elswewhere.

The transportation (ie. Magical Express) is not free - the cost is buried in your nightly rate.

Other off site resorts offer transportation to and from the parks and some offer better quality busses. A lot of onsite guests (myself included) drive to the parks anyway.

What resort entertainment? Yehaa Bob and the Hoopde doo Show? Both are great shows but I don't have to be staying onsite to take in the entertainment and even onsite guests have to pay for Hoop De Doo and others. Technically you could say the offsite guests have one up in this regard because the "free entertainment, like Wishes on the Poly beach" can be enjoyed for half the price if you don't feel like paying the Poly prices.

So that leaves package delivery and EMH. If there were anything left to purchase (the days of unique merchandise are gone), the extra cost to stay onsite just doesn't seem worth it to me. I can carry my own bag.

The EMH is definately a perk so I'll give you that one. :)

I know Disney has spies so if they are reading ;), if I were the decision makers I'd start charging for fastpasses for off site guests, then I'd offer the
"free fastpass for onsite guests." In addition, I'd also offer an upgraded fastpass for onsite guests which would allow entrance to any fastpass ride where you don't need collect them throughout the day. This would cost extra but I'd only offer a certain number for each day. I'd also be the first one in line to pay for it.

This system seems to work pretty well for Universal so I don't understand why Disney can't accomplish it.

Now I love the theming of the Disney resorts and only stay there, but I love Disney. To the average consumer, the "benefits" Disney advertises do not add up.

ETA - The AP holders also fall under the umbrella of onsite guests because they pay a premium.

It would annoy me b/c I have an annual pass and live locally so I have no need to stay at parks or offsite hotels.

So do you suppose Disney has CM's post messages here from time to time to test the waters on certain issues?

So maybe we're all part of market research as we type here......:cool:

So do you suppose Disney has CM's post messages here from time to time to test the waters on certain issues?

So maybe we're all part of market research as we type here......:cool:

Sure, why not?

An online message board is a great place to read (if you sort through all the junk of course). I think a savvy marketing/internet/sales professional can figure out truth from fiction. Some of the long time Disney fans have some really great ideas.

I've been asked to take surveys through Disneyworld.com and the disboards, allears, and wdwmagic all pop up on the form as to where I get my information.

First of all, to address the topic at hand, I would not want to see them eliminating FP for offsite guests (and we only stay onsite). However, I like the "Super FP" idea someone had mentioned earlier.

As for the not fair comments, really? I assume Florida residents also feel it is not fair that they pay less for their AP's, and AP holders feel it isn't fair that they receive special AP discounts and privileges, right? Do cast members feel it's unfair that they receive discounts and free admission? Do DVC members feel their DVC perks should be given to all guests? Do Americans feel it's unfair they don't deal with exchange rates and greater travel costs when visiting WDW?

Disney has NEVER been equal, not since day one. In fact, it was worse then, with tickets needing to be purchased in order to enjoy attractions. People with more money can book VIP tour guides that from what I understand can act as an unlimited FP, they can eat in the better restaurants, they can buy more souvenirs, and that's just the in park stuff people claim is equal.

Life isn't fair or equal.

I only stay onsite and greatly enjoy it, but we'd all be fooling ourselves to believe some of the benefits Disney sells in their packages are "free."
Are you being obtuse on purpose? Free in this case, and in most, means "at no additional cost". Obviously, nothing is genuinely free, but Disney does offer many things to resort guests that they could just as easily charge extra for.

These days I wouldn't exactly call the dining plan a benefit because you can get better dining options elswewhere.

The transportation (ie. Magical Express) is not free - the cost is buried in your nightly rate.

Other off site resorts offer transportation to and from the parks and some offer better quality busses. A lot of onsite guests (myself included) drive to the parks anyway.

What resort entertainment? Yehaa Bob and the Hoopde doo Show? Both are great shows but I don't have to be staying onsite to take in the entertainment and even onsite guests have to pay for Hoop De Doo and others. Technically you could say the offsite guests have one up in this regard because the "free entertainment, like Wishes on the Poly beach" can be enjoyed for half the price if you don't feel like paying the Poly prices.

So that leaves package delivery and EMH. If there were anything left to purchase (the days of unique merchandise are gone), the extra cost to stay onsite just doesn't seem worth it to me. I can carry my own bag.
I'll concede the point of the onsite entertainment, because I was under the assumption that it was only offered to people staying on property.

As for the rest, you mostly dismissed them because you choose not to take advantage of them. That does not change the fact that 1.) Disney offers them only to resort guests and 2.) There are people who do take advantage of these services.

While I think making Fastpasses an exclusive perk to resort guests is a ludicrous notion, I don't really understand all of these "class" remarks.

I think it's because of this:

"To ALL who come to this happy place, welcome."

A lot of us have an idea of Disney as a special place that truly is for everyone. Disney is for all ages, all races, all genders, all abilities, all income levels. Yes, I know it sounds pretty idealistic, but I do think it's something that makes Disney special. When we walk in the park gate, we all have the same opportunity to have a magical day. Yes, some of us can afford to get more, such as at the BBB, at expensive meals, or in the shops, but for the basic elements of the day (rides, parades, shows, etc.) we are all treated the same.

I think it's because of this:

"To ALL who come to this happy place, welcome."

A lot of us have an idea of Disney as a special place that truly is for everyone. Disney is for all ages, all races, all genders, all abilities, all income levels. Yes, I know it sounds pretty idealistic, but I do think it's something that makes Disney special. When we walk in the park gate, we all have the same opportunity to have a magical day. Yes, some of us can afford to get more, such as at the BBB, at expensive meals, or in the shops, but for the basic elements of the day (rides, parades, shows, etc.) we are all treated the same.

Serious question, have you heard of the VIP tour guides? If you choose to pay for one, you are not treated the same when it comes to the basic elements of the day.

And just to respond to that quote, as I stated in an earlier post, in the early days the parks used ride tickets (different tickets for different ride categories). People with more money could afford to ride more. IMO that quote is irrelevant seeing as it was said when this system existed if I remember correctly.

Are you being obtuse on purpose? Free in this case, and in most, means "at no additional cost". Obviously, nothing is genuinely free, but Disney does offer many things to resort guests that they could just as easily charge extra for.

I'll concede the point of the onsite entertainment, because I was under the assumption that it was only offered to people staying on property.

As for the rest, you mostly dismissed them because you choose not to take advantage of them. That does not change the fact that 1.) Disney offers them only to resort guests and 2.) There are people who do take advantage of these services.

Do you stay onsite? The reason I ask is most people who stay onsite know that the entertainment is available to everybody. You could even participate in the arts and crafts at the resort pools whether or not you are staying at the resort.

Disney could charge for every little thing they offer, but the purpose of the "free" resort entertainment is to draw the outside/offsite guests in and keep the current onsite resort guests coming back.

I hear this excuse alot when this debate comes up. Locals claim it isn't fair. However, the above statement is why it is "most definitely fair". You locals can go anytime you want. You can go when the crowds are low or just whenever you get the urge. Most of the rest of us have to go when our kids are out of school when it is super busy. I would trade you the right to get fast passes in order to live next door to the mouse. As you can tell, I am all for a FP for resort guests only. Sorry, just my opinion.

I guess I don't get the logic. You can come often - so get in the back of the line? :confused3 We are the ones that keep coming and support the parks even when it is slow. I just don't understand why the super busy periods being your only choice means you get something extra that I don't deserve? I don't mean to sound rude, just putting my opinion out there.

As far as the you should get FP if you spend "X" amount argument by other posters... I would estimate we spend a good little bit going a few time a week. Not only on food but other trinkets. (Dooney bags, Disney jewelry, ect.) How do you calculate the value of a guest and who does or doesn't deserve something?

I love the healthy debate and I don't want to offend anyone by asking the above. I'm just really curious why onsite guests are more valuable than locals?

Do you stay onsite? The reason I ask is most people who stay onsite know that the entertainment is available to everybody. You could even participate in the arts and crafts at the resort pools whether or not you are staying at the resort.

Disney could charge for every little thing they offer, but the purpose of the "free" resort entertainment is to draw the outside/offsite guests in and keep the current onsite resort guests coming back.
I do not stay onsite, hence my ignorance regarding the entertainment.

Yes, anyone can go to the Poly and eat at Kona, or go to the Spirit of Aloha show. (Can't use the pool, though unless you are DVC and it isn't restricted at the time...) But these things are convenient to the resort guests staying there - not so much to others.

As for the "free"..."free" when referring to a feature as part of a package is basically "the cost is rolled into your price - we just aren't going to break it down for you on the bill...". It's like "Free" Dining. They call it free, but you have to pay more for the room compared to someone else who isn't getting dining or paying out of pocket for it. It's Marketingspeak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter