Filters

do the uv filters really work or does that prohibit the lens from working as it should? And is there a time when a filter make alot of difference if so what kind? and is it only in certain conditions. thanks

my t2i won't be here until tuesday ahhhhhhhhh

I have UV filters on all my lenses- I don't seem to have a problem with them. I am not a pixel peeper or anything like that but there are no obvious, to me, negative affects. I also have a circular polarizer and a Tiffen .6 neutral density filter. I've only used the neutral density filter once to try and get one of those 'silky' waterfall shots and the circular polarizer I use more often for reducing glare on water.

Yes, there's definitely a huge debate among photographers as to whether to use a UV filter to protect the front of their lens(es). You certainly don't NEED a UV filter nowadays because digital camera sensors are much less UV-sensitive than traditional film. So the only reason you'd even use a UV filter would be to protect the front of your lens.

Arguments against having a filter:
You paid a lot for your lens, so you want the BEST image from your lens. When you place a filter in front of your lens, you're adding another piece of "glass" in front of your lens. You might potentially get a slightly worse images with a cheap filter in front of your lens.

Today's lenses also have scratch-resistant coatings, making it very difficult to scratch a lens.

Adding a filter in front of your lens also increases the chance of producing filter flare in your images. Here's an example of lens flare that I stole from the Internet:

_mg_7298.jpg
_mg_7300.jpg

The image on the left has lens flare, which is due to a UV filter placed in front of the lens. The image on the right has no UV filter, which caused no lens flare.​

The reason why lens flare occurs is because stray light is coming into the lens, reflects back and forth among the different lens elements, before reaching the sensor. A cheap UV filter typically has no anti-reflective coating, so stray light will first pass through the filter, reflect off the front of the lens, then get reflected back off the UV filter, before going back through the lens into the camera sensor. That's why you get the extra spots of light (lens flare) in the above photo.

Instead of using a UV filter to protect your lens, the alternative would be to use a lens hood.

Arguments for having a filter:
It protects the front of your lens. If you paid a whole lot of $$$$$ for your lens and if something happened to your lens, is it cheaper to replace a filter or replace a lens?

This actually happened to me once. My wife was carrying around our 70-200mm lens, which cost $1600. I walked away to buy lunch, and when I returned, I watched as the camera and lens dropped in slow motion onto the ground. When I went to pick up the camera, all that was shattered was my heart and the UV filter. The lens itself was fine. If I recall, my wife was okay, too.

Basically, the UV filter was my $80 insurance policy. In this case, all I had to do was buy a new filter, which was TONS cheaper than buying a new lens.

For lenses that aren't too expensive (kit lens?), it might not be worthwhile to add a UV filter for protection. However, the more $$$$$$ you spend on a lens, the cost-vs-benefit of a UV filter becomes more and more compelling.

Be aware, though, that not all UV filters are the same. The cheapest UV filters are just a piece of glass, and they can potentially degrade your photos and add lens flare. You'll want to look for a UV filter with anti-reflective coating or multi-coated UV filters. Multicoated filters *significantly* reduces the reflection off the filter, which *significantly* reduces the risk of lens flare. I would go with brand-name, multicoated UV filters for your very, very expensive lenses.

The other reason to use a UV filter is if you're gonna be taking photos in some pretty harsh conditions. Are you going to the desert, where sand will be blowing onto your lens? Or maybe you're doing whale watching on a small boat, with lots of salt water spraying onto you & your camera. So here, a UV filter helps to protect your lens from "the elements."

Hope that helps. Sorry for the long post.

do the uv filters really work or does that prohibit the lens from working as it should? And is there a time when a filter make alot of difference if so what kind? and is it only in certain conditions. thanks

my t2i won't be here until tuesday ahhhhhhhhh

I've never heard of a UV filter prohibiting a lens from working. If your UV filter is preventing your lens from working, you probably bought a really really REALLY bad UV filter.

Congratulations on your T2i!

awesome information!!!! Thank you! :worship:
I know I've read about a uv and circular polarizer filter. I've received some nice shots w/ nothing on my sx10 and water w/ just changing the shutter speed. I never used my lens hood for the sx10. I just I'll just have to try and see what I need or want (though my want list is already long) I'm picking up my book on the t2i this weekend. I think I'll do some of the hunts on here to help me learn.

I use a UV filter on all my lenses for protection. Those lenses cost a lot and it is cheap insurance. I also pretty much always use my lens hood, even in the black of night. I prefer B+W filters, but they aren't cheap. The ones I use run over $100 a pop. While you want protection, you want to minimize any negative impacts of using a filter. You shouldn't have issues using a high quality filter.

Sometimes your in the field and can't clean under ideal conditions. I keep a lenspen handy used only for in field cleaning. I feel much more comfortable touching a filter with it than the front element of a very pricey lens. Just the other day I was shooting on a tripod and I was checking the images on the back LCD. There was an blurry spot. Sure enough it looked like tree sap had hit the filter. It was GO time and a quick hit with the lenspen was all I had time for.

I don't shoot in what I consider harsh conditions. Rarely anything ends up on the front of my lens that needs more than a quick blower hit (small dust).

My one liner: Until my photography starts paying for gear, it is going to be with me a while and I like protection.

I am in the UV filter camp because I'm rough with my stuff and I have some very expensive lenses. Their is an issue though if you get really cheap UV filters. I use B+W filters for the most part, they are expensive, about $80-100 / lens, but I also shoot with mostly "L" glass so the majority of my lenses cost over a grand.

If you get REALLY cheap UV filters, I've heard issues with auto focus. Advoid buying filters from Best Buy. Ritz Camera has OK filters so do most camera shops.

I do agree though, the lens hood is the best protection! I dropped my 50d with my 70-200 IS f/2.8 attached, the lens hood made the whole thing bounce once and I was able to grab it. Had it not been for the lens hood, I think I would have kissed a $2,000 lens good bye!

I'm in the filter camp. I am a little rough on my stuff with hiking, wiping my lenses with my shirt and all.

I hike a lot too. And all of my lenses have been wiped often with my t-shirt. Never had a problem with any scratches on the lenses.

You also have to consider that a good quality UV filter will cost as much, or more, than many entry level lenses. And they go up from there.

I'm not saying one way is right or wrong... it's a matter of what everyone is comfortable with.

Let me first start by saying that it is not the momentous decision that many people make it out to be. Neither option is likely to result in a noticeable difference. You probably won't scratch your lens and you probably won't see a difference in your shots.

I'm a non-filter person. In my decades of photography, I haven't ever scratched a lens or filter. Small scratches have an extremely minimal affect on lenses. While I you a hood most of the time, I don't use one on my wide angle lenses. I also leave my lens cap off most of the time while I'm shooting. I take my lenses to all sorts of nasty places. I camp with them. I've had two cameras fall from 2-3 feet onto concrete. In short, I'm hell on gear. I've still never scratched a lens.

The image distortion fears of non-UV users are often overrated. You will not notice any difference in most situations with most filters. If you use a high quality prime, a low quality UV filter, and take a very detailed shot, you will probably see a loss in resolution while you pixel peep, but probably not in a print.

The flare issue is real. If you use a UV filter, accept the fact that you will have more flare problems when taking pictures with bright light sources in front of the camera than someone without a UV filter. You'll see it in the ghosting of lights in the frame. You'll also see it with more washed out pictures (the black levels are significantly elevated). You might not blame the filter because these things all happen without filters, but to a lesser extent. These things will happen much more if you don't use a good multi-coated filter. They typically cost near $100. I'd rather spend that money on more lenses.

The only time I'd join the UV crowd was if I shot in harsh environments a lot (windy beaches) and I resold my lenses. Since I rarely do either, I just don't worry about it.

Decades of shooting without a "protective" filter and I've never damaged a lens. I always use a lens hood. I paid too much for my lenses for their optical quality only to put inferior glass in front. Aside from the lens flare previously mentioned, even good filters reduce clarity. It's not really noticeable in the center of the frame and when you're shooting perfectly parallel to something. However, if you inspect the edges of the frame you'll see reduced clarity.

In the event that I ever drop my 70-200 and damage it...that's what insurance is for.:)

I dont use a filter on my lenses, I do use a lens hood. I only would use a filter for the effect it is going to provide, not as a means of protecting the lens. I find it hard to beleive that a 50.00 or 100.00 piece of plastic adds good protection on my lens.
But at the end of the day, if adding a uv filter gives you more piece of mind for protection, then do it. Though I agree with GrillMouster, thats why we have insurance.

An important benefit to using either a filter -or- a lens hood is to protect the filter *threads* on your lens.

If you make even a slight ding in the filter threads on your lens, it will be almost impossible to *ever* get a filter to fit properly on your lens.

Protect the treads with something!

They might be useful someday.

-Paul

The only time I'll use a protective filter is on a windy beach or where there's salt spray, etc.. And when I get back indoors you'll find me taking my sweet time with a blower trying to get every grain of sand off of the surface and out of each nook, cranny, and groove before I even think of removing the lens or filter. For everyday shooting, no protective filter, just creative filters (CP, ND, Grad, etc.)

I don't usually keep a UV filter on my lenses, but in another thread I posted a week or two ago about our trip next month to Niagara Falls, someone suggested using a UV filter to protect the lens from the mist and spray when we go on the Maid of the Mist and other attractions.

My lens is weathersealed, but my camera body isn't. I currently have the Optech rainsleeve and a UV filter by B+W in my cart on Amazon, but before I pull the trigger on it, do I really need the filter? And if so, is B+W a good one? It costs $42 on Amazon.

Thanks!

Yes, I would still use it. You are not using it to protect it from water getting in so much as you are protecting it from anything abrasive that is floating around in the mist.

Yes, I would still use it. You are not using it to protect it from water getting in so much as you are protecting it from anything abrasive that is floating around in the mist.

Good point. I didn't think about that. I'll be getting it then. It's a small investment for one of my best lenses.

I use MRC B&W filters, mine normally cost around $70-80, but I typically get 77mm filters which are more expensive than smaller filters.

I would say it depends on your lens. If it's an L series or professional grade lens, then a B&W MRC filter is my choice, I have them on all my lenses. If you have a lens worth less than $500, you may consider hoya brand.

as for the rain sleves from Opto, love them. I have them in my bag and on my ThinkTank belt at ALL times! It's such cheap insurance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter