Folding laundry...

My laundry room is just down the hall from my bedroom and when I get laundry from the dryer, I take it there to fold and put away. There's nowhere in my laundry room to fold or hang up. I only do laundry for myself and my husband; our sons have done their own laundry since they were about 12. I typically do 4 loads/week of clothing, all on Monday. Most of the loads are small loads that I was on the quick cycle: dark colored socks & underwear on warm, light colored socks, underwear & undershirts on warm, dark pants and shirts on cold, light colored pants and shirts on cold. 3 of the 4 are small loads. I usually can get the 3 small loads washed, dried, folded and put away before I leave for work at 8:45. I do the last load in the afternoon when I get home. (I use the "delay end" setting a lot so the load finishes right before I get home or when I get up in the morning.) When the largest load of dark shirts/pants is dry, I will usually take it to my room to hang and put away, and I will turn on the TV while I do that. The small loads, I don't bother, as it just takes me about 5 minutes. I buy multiple pairs of socks, so matching is easy - all of my husband's are either brown or white. All of mine are either blue (I wear jeans and sneakers to work), or white. I also count socks as I sort laundry, so I go in search of socks that missed the baskets in the closet, so I never lose socks.

My DH does all the laundry now, but when I used to do it - I always folded right out of the dryer. For whatever reason, I always folded the things that needed to be hung and then hung them once the basket got to the bedroom.

I always fold/hang as things come out of the dryer. That way I never have to iron. There's a hanging bar directly above the washer/dryer, folded things get stacked on top of the dryer. Usually I put them away immediately, but if I get busy it doesn't hurt them at all to stay where they are for a few hours or a couple of days.

I have a TV in the laundry room so I can watch TV while folding the laundry. I do all of our clothing on Saturday/Sunday. It's just DH & I (youngest child is now off at college) so I can usually do all of our clothing in 2 or 3 loads. I wash the towels and sheets sometime during the week when it's convenient. Everything gets folded right out of the dryer. The clothing gets put in a wash basket and taken to the bedroom when all the laundry is finished. The towels and sheets get folded and carried right to the bathroom or bedroom. Back when all 5 kids still lived at home, I was doing 1 or 2 loads of laundry every day, so that TV in the laundry room was a godsend. The kids each started doing their own laundry when they were about 15 or 16, but before that, it was just easier for me to do all the laundry because I could have *full* loads of everything. If they were each doing their own laundry, they had a small load of jeans, small load of whites, small load of colors -- the washer and dryer would have been running constantly. And sometimes those loads were *really* small. So I decided it would be more efficient if I just did all of the laundry. And I hated when I wanted to do laundry and someone's laundry was still in the washer or dryer and they were at school. Things just went much smoother if I did all the clothing laundry. They all had plenty of other chores to keep them busy (one of which was washing the towels).

We have a laundry room in our finished basement that has a folding table. I take clothes right out of the dryer and fold them right away because I loathe ironing. I usually have either the radio on or my earbuds in listening to music while I fold.

My washer and dryer are in my basement. I always take the basket up and fold it while watching tv. I use a snack tray and a folding board. I would never fold it in the basement.

ETA- I don't think I've owned an iron in 10 years. I fold everything right out of the dryer or hang things wet that don't go go in the dryer. I'm in my 40s and most of my friends don't own irons either.

We have a large laundry room with the basement furnace, washer, dryer, big laundry sink all along one wall. Across from that we have one of those thingys that has a shelf on top & rod to hang things from. The former owners installed a clothes line at the far end that reaches across the width of the room. Probably 8 ft. Under that my daughter has 4 large plastic bins that she sorts her laundry in til her wash day.
My clothes, underwear all get either hung up or folded straight out of the dryer. I have a lot that I don't put in dryer so that clothes line comes in handy.
The only time I fold in front of the tv is if I have a large load of towels, then I may sit & fold them on the sofa. Usually tho they are folded out of the dryer or on my bed.

A lot of people do not have big laundry rooms, ours is in a small room inside our garage, so I try not to spend any more time in there then I have too. Clothes get hung or folded in laundry room, all others like towels (a lot) etc. I will throw them in a basket and take them in the house and fold them in our family room. Our oversize ottoman is great for this and then when done put them away. Iron?? What's that. LOL Occasionally we may have to use some wrinkle release spray but that's it.

My laundry closet is in my kitchen. I'm pretty serious about laundry (it's my favorite chore) and have different methods for different loads. Delicates (work blouses, bras, cardigans) come out of the washer and are hung immediately to dry. Regular clothes are folded or put on hangers as they come out of the dryer... I hate wrinkles. Sheets are shaken and folded immediately. I have an open floor plan, kitchen to living room, so if I'm already watching TV, sometimes I'm looking over occasionally while folding. The only load I take out of the kitchen to fold is towels, and that I'll do while watching TV.

Unfortunately, my laundry motivation seems to disappear some place between the kitchen and the bedroom. Hanging items go into the closet immediately, but I'll admit there's a basket of folded underwear, yoga pants, tees, tanks, etc. in front of the closet. Sheets and towels do go into the linen closet immediately, because for some reason, the sight of those out bothers me, but the clothing doesn't have the same effect.

It is only 2 of us. Our washer and dryer are in the laundry room on the main floor. We put the clothes in the same hampers we brought them down in and take them up and fold as we are putting away in drawers and hang up dresses and nice shirts or pants.

Throw in the washer. Toss in the dryer or hang on the line in the laundry room. Dryer stuff get tossed in a basket. The hang stuff gets laid on top of the basket. Anyone from immediately to weeks later I will actually fold/hang/put away.

I fold/hang laundry while watching TV, usually music videos on YouTube.

Another tv watcher here. I like to multi task, so since my laundry room is next to my kitchen/family room I'm often folding while cooking and watching tv. I have a big "breakfast bar" that is perfect for folding.

I fold my laundry at the kitchen table because it's near the laundry room. I don't watch TV while doing so. Like many I hang most of my shirts and hoodies.

My washer and dryer are in my basement. I always take the basket up and fold it while watching tv. I use a snack tray and a folding board. I would never fold it in the basement.

ETA- I don't think I've owned an iron in 10 years. I fold everything right out of the dryer or hang things wet that don't go go in the dryer. I'm in my 40s and most of my friends don't own irons either.
I have a steamer that's handy for a lot of wrinkles--I make costumes, so the steamer works better for delicate fabrics. And lazy kids!

I do own an iron, but I can't remember when I used it to iron, versus press. When I sew, I frequently have to press seams open or fold and press a hem. If it weren't for sewing, the iron would be a fancy paperweight.

I don’t fold my laundry in the laundry room. I have some bars to hang clothes up though. I have just always been in the habit of taking the laundry to my living room and doing it there. If there is some breaking news or something important I want to watch I would then fold the clothes on my bed.

From washer I hang everything on the line in Lanai then into dryer to fluff or dry if still wet then into basket to dump on bed for sorting and folding. ONLY if it's damp outside do the clothes go from washer to dryer then to bed.

Our washer and dryer are in the basement. Some items get taken out partially dry and hung on a line. I usually fold the rest as it’s taken from the dryer and put in a basket, then bring it upstairs and put it away. Sometimes I’ll bring it up in the basket and do the folding on my bed (which is always made ;)).

Sunday's laundry day while I'm watching football or a movie. When they're dry I move them into the living room and fold/hang while I'm watching TV.

Ha! Laundry workflow is not a phrase I've ever uttered. :laughing: If one could consider letting dirty clothes pile up in baskets until there's 5 or 6 loads to do, then doing them and piling the clean stuff back into baskets to be pulled out and ironed as needed, a "workflow", that would be mine. I have sat in front of the TV with the random-sock basket to pair them though (once every couple of years, probably) so there's that. DH & DS handle their own laundry and I pay no attention to how they do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter