Friendship cake

sanddune

DIS Veteran
I am looking for directions on how to make friendship cake.I have a starter .I just need to know what to do with it!! Thanks !! Chris

Does this sound like what you are looking for?

AMISH FRIENDSHIP FRUIT CAKE

1 (18.25 oz.) box yellow cake mix with
pudding in the mix
1/3 C. vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 3/4 C. Amish Friendship Fruit Starter
1 C. chopped pecans
Confectioners' sugar (if desired)
Cream cheese frosting (if desired)

Line the bottom of a springform angel food cake pan with wax paper; grease well, then flour.

In large mixing bowl of electric mixer, combine dry cake mix and oil. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well. Add fruit; mix well. Fold in nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in a preheated 350ºF oven for 40 minutes, then reduce heat to 300ºF and bake 35 to 40 minutes more, or until cake tests done.

Shake pan to loosen cake from sides and let sit 10 minutes.

Lift the center of the pan out and turn cake onto cake plate. Turn cake right-side up before serving. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired, or top with cream cheese frosting. This cake tastes better when cold.

NOTE: You will use from 1 1/2 to 2 cups drained fruit per cake.

Thanks! Merry Poppins for repling. That recipe sounds good too! I'm looking for a recipe that you put fruit in a jar stir add more fruit stir exct.... I think this goes on for about a month.I had directions but my 3yr. old threw them out !!

I believe that that recipe is made with the fruit starter. Does it have these ingredients?

AMISH FRIENDSHIP FRUIT STARTER

3/4 C. canned sliced peaches with syrup
3/4 C. canned pineapple chunks with syrup
4 oz. red maraschino cherries, drained, halved
1 1/2 C. granulated sugar
1 pkg. active dry yeast (some recipes will
substitute 2 T. brandy)

For later addition
1/2 C. canned sliced peaches with syrup
1/2 C. canned pineapple chunks with syrup

To Replenish Starter

DAY 1
1 1/2 C. starter juice
2 1/2 C. granulated sugar
1 (32 oz.) can sliced peaches with syrup

DAY 10
1 (32 oz.) can pineapple chunks with juice or 1 (16 oz.)
can pineapple chunks and 1 (16 oz.) can fruit cocktail

DAY 20
2 (4 oz.) jars maraschino cherries, drained and halved
(You can use 1 jar of red and one jar of green for color,
or use 1 (10 oz. jar)

In a 1-gallon glass jar with wide mouth and lid, combine the peaches, pineapple, maraschino cherries, sugar and yeast (make sure the yeast is well mixed with syrup). Stir two times the first day. Stir once a day afterwards. Do not refrigerate this mixture. Keep loosely covered.

Two weeks after starting the starter, add 1/2 cup peaches and 1/2 cup pineapple with syrup.

Wait several days, stirring daily, then drain 2 cups of mixed fruit and use to make cake as directed in the cake recipe. Reserve 1 1/2 cups starter juice and leave in glass gallon jar. Count this as Day One, and begin the process for renewing starter and making cake.

DAY 1: To reserved 1 1/2 cups starter juice (or to starter juice given you by a friend), add 2 1/2 cups sugar and a 32 ounce can of peaches with syrup. Stir daily. Keep loosely covered. Do not refrigerate.

DAY 10: Add 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar and pineapple chunks with juice. Stir daily. Keep loosely covered. Do not refrigerate.

DAY 20: Add 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar and drained and halved maraschino cherries. Stir daily. Keep loosely covered. Do not refrigerate.

DAY 30: Drain fruit, reserving 1 1/2 cups juice for renewing starter. Use drained fruit to make 3 Amish Friendship Fruit Cakes, give excess starter juice to friends, and start a new batch of fruit (repeat aforementioned process).

NOTE: At the end of 30 days, you will have enough excess starter juice to give to about four friends. Be sure to keep enough juice (1 1/2 cups) for your own starter. At the end of 30 days, there will be enough fruit to use 1 3/4 cups fruit in each cake, which makes the cake better and doesn't waste the fruit.

The cakes can be frozen. It is not necessary to bake all three cakes the same day, but stir the remaining fruit mixture every day until it is used (this fruit mixture can be refrigerated until used). The drained fruit can be frozen until you are ready to bake the cakes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter