from 0% to 100% how ideal is your current home?

TLDR: About 50% content.

Sigh. As we're cleaning and moving stuff around for carpet cleaners tomorrow, it's hitting me hard. Happens every time we do a heavy clean, lol. We've been here for 21yrs. It was supposed to be a starter home, but we kind of got stuck here due to life circumstances. It is now 50 years old and needs remodeling. We've only remodeled 1 bathroom and painted and updated a floor and replaced appliances/fixtures. My main complaint is that it is just too small and the layout is a typical 70s ranch with relatively small, closed off rooms and tiny closets. We have 1400 sf, DH works from home (corner office in the bedroom, lol), and we still have 3 kids at home. 25, 19, and 15. The 26yo has autism and will probably always live at home. The 19yo works, but she is not ready to move out, either. The 15yo is still in HS and will be going to college locally. They are all here for a while longer and 5 grown bodies is a lot in our small space. There are other things, but those are the biggies. Housing has skyrocketed in our area, so since we will be paid off in less than 10 years, we're staying put. I am grateful for a sturdy home in a safe community that is almost paid off and we're considering where to start with the upgrades. Seems easier just to buy a new house and start over. :rotfl:

98%. If it had a 3 car garage instead of a 2 car garage, it would be 100%. One car has to sit in the driveway.
1756 square foot 3 bedroom 2 bath home which we bought as our first and last house 41 years ago. It was huge for the two of us.
Had two kids, it got small. Added a bedroom and half bath on 10 years after we bought it.
Kids moved out. Remodeled 10 years ago, It is huge again.
Best thing is it has been paid for for 24 years. Second best thing in California is property taxes are set at what we paid for it 41 years ago, with a small inflation factor. Third best thing, we didn't spend the $75,000+/- in real estate commissions our friends who have had 4 hours in that time period.

Hmm. Maybe 70%. I wish we had a covered front porch. I don’t like the color of vinyl and trim combo, I wish the basement was a walkout with a bathroom. I also don’t like all of the bedrooms being on the second floor and laundry in the basement. It’s a lot of lugging laundry up and down stairs.

All of those things are way too costly or impossible to change, though.

I would say it was about 30% ideal when we moved in 12 years ago. We have done a lot. The location and neighborhood is what sold us on the house. We love it.

98% If it had a large three car garage. We have a 3033 sq ft ranch with one bed/bath upstairs that's only used for storage or extra guests. I LOVE this house. Huge open spaces, separate dining room,study, large three bedrooms, large bathrooms, giant kitchen with walk in pantry and extra pantry area. And best of all, a large screened in porch with a fireplace. I love this house and hope to finish out my years here.

50%. Home is fine but I say 50% as it is fine for our life now but is multiple stories so will be hard to age in place in.

20-30%. But the 20-30% is what matters most - safe, walkable community with an absolutely wonderful neighbor.

It's not even a detached home with 6 folks in it, and it has low end everything that I haven't redone (and the only things I've redone have absolutely failed 1st) b/c it's a townhome, and no one pays to upgrade them.

But as a PP said, it will be paid off in 3 years, when I'm doing double duty with colleges...and maybe when paid off, I do finally remodel the crappiest kitchen ever...

The top part is why I never plan to move - well, that, and finances...

I love our house, but I'd say it's 75% ideal.

It's an old stone farmhouse built in 1854. The kitchen is very small. The rooms are broken up. It's long (wide) and mostly one room deep. It's really too big for us. We don't use all of the rooms (they are all furnished).

It does have a great "feel." I love the old charm and quirks. I love that DH and I have separate bathrooms. I love the property (six acres) and views.

My ideal house would be smaller, 100% updated but still have an "old" feel, more rooms open to each other, on the same size property (or more), on our same street. Our street is like a little hidden piece of paradise tucked away in our town.

We are selling our 4 floor 8000 square ft 15 year old house on 3/4 acre to move to a 1800 sq ft condo. I can’t wait. I’m tired of the stairs, the taxes, the landscaping, the maintenance costs and too much stuff. We will take about 10% to 20% of what we have and sell the rest at an estate sale. I can’t wait to buy new furniture and divest of all the stuff we have accumulated over 40 years. We have a disabled adult daughter and plan on leaving her the condo we move to as her forever home once we’re gone. It will be perfect for her. Moving will be painful for my husband. He loves his stuff and what this house represents to him. So we have completely different opinions on this move. He will be sad. I’ll be gleeful.

About 88% - wish I had a walk in pantry and a screen porch but that’s it…

About 85%. Our house is old, built in 1915. We need to do some remodeling, but thats a constant. I wish my room was a little bigger but I do have a first floor bedroom and bathroom which is a rarity in a small century colonial. I wish my kitchen was bigger. It's 9' x12' and has 4 doorways in it which is not ideal but I make it work. It's nearly paid off though and I refuse to move and it is a good home that has served us well so 85% is good enough. Life is all about compromise.

90%

We have a townhome that I love. But I wish we had a driveway or at least guest parking spaces nearby. Guests have to park on the street and walk up a little hill to get to our unit.

I'd say about 80%.

The things that bug us the most probably wouldn't have been as noticeable had we moved into this home after our first home. This home was built in 1974 and reflects a lot of the norms of the time. Our first home was built in 1955 and had even smaller closets and bathrooms. Our last house was built in 2005 and had enormous closets everywhere and huge bathrooms. We at least gutted and totally redid the bathrooms. They're still small, but they're now more functional and look pretty.

75%. I would want to expand and enclose my lanai across the entire back of the house. Make it a sun room with cooling, but not have it be added to my taxable living sq. ft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter