From Mickey Mouse to The Wildcats - Live Trip Report

Sorry for lack of posting but had a lot to deal with this week.
After much thought & many meetings with University advisors Matt came to the conclusion studying in New Hampshire was not for him. Its something he had wanted to do for a long time so wasn't an easy decision, his reasons are on his Blog if anyone is interested http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/2013/08/29/studying-abroad/

So this week we have had really bad Jetlag as well as spending many hours sorting out a transfer back to Lancaster Uni, hopefully its not going to be too difficult, Lancaster are being really helpful, Hardest thing will probably finding good student accomodation in Lancaster so near to the new term.

As I type Matt is waiting for checkin to open at Boston airport, should arrive back at Manchester just after 11am tomorrow.

This weekend we have a wedding down in Taunton so all being well early next week I will complete the thread.:goodvibes

Wayne your son is awesome ! Such a credit to you both.

Looking forward to hearing bout your trip.

Cheryl

It must have taken a lot of courage for Matt to admit it wasn't for him and walk away.

Wishing him all the best for the rest of his course at Lancaster

Wayne your son is awesome !
Cheryl
Sums up how we feel about him also :thumbsup2
At age 19 I would never have had the bottle to go thru this experience. If I had looked forward to doing something for well over a year then found out it wasn't for me I would have been gutted, miserable and feeling sorry for myself, He has found the positives, sounds far more confident about what he wants and can't wait to get back home and ultimately back to Lancaster to start a new term. Last year he was asked to do talks in schools about University life, he didn't feel as though he had the confidence, now he says he is ready to take on things like that.

Just read the link Wayne, the main thing is that Matt is happy and doing what is best for him :goodvibes

:goodvibes

Now checked in, she asked him which seats he wanted, he said best you can give me being 6`3", good banter between them, told him he had a cute Disney bag:rotfl2: He got Exit row with extra leg room on 1st leg then Premium economy upgrade on 2nd leg if I have the correct plane seating plans. :)

Wayne I have said this elsewhere but it is worth saying again.
Karen and your support has been awesome. Matt has so much integrity as a young man.
I for one have really appreciated you all sharing your journey and adventures.

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures in New England :)

Sorry to hear things didn't work out for Matt at UNH. He is one brave young man who has shown great courage and maturity by his actions. I was talking with my son Adam who is at Uni in North Carolina and he totally agreed with Matt's comments about the completely different style of teaching. Being Dyslexic this is a positive for Adam but he mentioned that several of the Brits there are finding it hard to adjust to this different style of learning.

It's a small world we live in Taunton! Weather forecast looks good for Saturday although won't be as warm as you have been used to in Florida!

Gill

Takes a strong person to try something and make an informed judgement on it in that way. Very brave and sensible, well done Matt. Hope he is ok settling back in at Lamcaster x

Sorry to hear things didn't work out for Matt at UNH. He is one brave young man who has shown great courage and maturity by his actions. I was talking with my son Adam who is at Uni in North Carolina and he totally agreed with Matt's comments about the completely different style of teaching. Being Dyslexic this is a positive for Adam but he mentioned that several of the Brits there are finding it hard to adjust to this different style of learning.

It's a small world we live in Taunton! Weather forecast looks good for Saturday although won't be as warm as you have been used to in Florida!

Gill

Matt's original plans were for a Uni in NC, Chapel Hill. Maybe things would have been different there, we will never know. As well as the course not being right he didn't feel his social life was going to be a great success, even though Matt instantly makes friends he found stuck in the middle of groups at UNH, the 1st year younger students were too young to drink so would fill their time doing things like icecream parties, not Matt's idea of enjoyment:rotfl2: the older ones could drink but Matt couldn't only being 19.
I hope Adam continues to enjoy it out there :thumbsup2

The wedding is on Sunday, St Audries park? we are staying at the Centurion hotel, Midsomer Norton the night before.

Thanks for posting Wayne.

I've just caught up with Matt's recent blog. As many have said he has shown great maturity in reaching this difficult decision but he has done what is right for him. It is a long way to be from home being miserable.
At the end of the day he has tried it and he can look back on this as a chapter in his life.

Glad to hear that Matt will have a comfortable journey home and that he's already mentally adjusted to the transition :thumbsup2

Onwards and upwards for that young man I think :goodvibes

I've just finished reading Matt's blog
I was clearly a difficult decision for him to make and it takes a huge amount of strength to make that kind of decision and do so quickly and with 100% commitment
I wish him every success back at Lancaster :goodvibes

I think Matt has been very unlucky on the social/living situation. Adam has a single room like Matt had, but only shares bathroom facilities with 3 others. WCU have a great International Introduction Programme which has enabled Adam to make friends with like minded students from all over the world. He too is 19 but I think the over 21 drinking policy is not widely upheld around his Uni. That being said I don't think it's party central either!!

St Audries is in a lovely location. A friend of mine went there when it was an all girls boarding school and my MIL lives a couple of miles away in Sampford Brett. I don't know much about Midsomer Norton but if you get any time to spare around St Audries you would find a lovely tearoom at the National Trust in Selworthy called Periwinkles. They do the most amazing cream teas :) Also the scenery around there is breathtaking from Porlock to Lynton and Lynmouth. No doubt you will probably catch sight of the West Somerset Steam Railway which starts at Bishops Lydeard and ends in Minehead and crosses your path as you travel from Taunton to St Audries. I hope the traffic for your return journey is not too bad as we tend to see a mass exodus from Devon and Cornwall on the M5 this weekend with the kids heading back to school next week. I hope you enjoy Somerset this weekend.

Gill

Just to echo what the others have said Wayne. He is a very sensible young man to admit it wasn't for him. Can't imagine anything worse than having stuck with it knowing it wasn't for him. Sure he will be much happier back at Lancaster :)

I can't imagine the courage Matt has to make the decision to come home. Well done, he is a shining example to those naysayers who think all the youth today are worthless. Good on him, and you and Karen for raising such a fine young man.

Pam

Followed the blog with interest, he's a credit to you both. Good luck For the future Matt xxx

I haven't posted for ages as we are super busy with a new baby in the house!! Had to log in to say that Matt's blog had me in tears!! You have a fantastic son and he is a role model to anyone reading his work. If my two turn out to be anything like that I will be proud beyond words. Give him our best.

Kathryn.

St Audries is in a lovely location. A friend of mine went there when it was an all girls boarding school and my MIL lives a couple of miles away in Sampford Brett. I don't know much about Midsomer Norton but if you get any time to spare around St Audries you would find a lovely tearoom at the National Trust in Selworthy called Periwinkles. They do the most amazing cream teas :) Also the scenery around there is breathtaking from Porlock to Lynton and Lynmouth. No doubt you will probably catch sight of the West Somerset Steam Railway which starts at Bishops Lydeard and ends in Minehead and crosses your path as you travel from Taunton to St Audries. I hope the traffic for your return journey is not too bad as we tend to see a mass exodus from Devon and Cornwall on the M5 this weekend with the kids heading back to school next week. I hope you enjoy Somerset this weekend.

Gill

St Audries is a lovely place but unfortunatley didn't have time to see anything else in the area, it was wake up get to wedding, photos, eat, speeches and only just managed to get home before midnight. Maybe return again one day but we can almost be in the US by the time we drive down there.

I haven't posted for ages as we are super busy with a new baby in the house!! Had to log in to say that Matt's blog had me in tears!! You have a fantastic son and he is a role model to anyone reading his work. If my two turn out to be anything like that I will be proud beyond words. Give him our best.

Kathryn.

Great to see you post again:goodvibes

Saturday was our last full day in Orlando, as always we spend our last day in MK, then back to Manny's for our last evening meal, rang ahead to be added to the wait list but still a crazy wait time. Enjoyed but not as much as first time, maybe because we were leaving. Eventually found Nigel's (DISwolves) number plate on the wall, look for it every visit but first time we have seen it.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter