Genie+ $29 per day but most major rides filled so beware

MoreTravels

Mouseketeer
This is my experience for Christmas 2022 travel. I got up at 6:30am and paid for Genie+. It costs $29 per guest per day so be prepared to spend extra $100 per day if you have a large family.

Even with the pass, I was not able to find any availability for major rides such as Ratatouille, Frozen, or Test Track as they are gone within a few minutes of app opening. So I ended up getting useless rides such as "Nemo, Land, Pixar" for $100+ Those rides do not need a pass to get on in the first place anyway.

It was a very bad experience for us this time at WDW. I am going elsewhere like Universal Studios next time.

This is my experience for Christmas 2022 travel. I got up at 6:30am and paid for Genie+. It costs $29 per guest per day so be prepared to spend extra $100 per day if you have a large family.

Even with the pass, I was not able to find any availability for major rides such as Ratatouille, Frozen, or Test Track as they are gone within a few minutes of app opening. So I ended up getting useless rides such as "Nemo, Land, Pixar" for $100+ Those rides do not need a pass to get on in the first place anyway.

It was a very bad experience for us this time at WDW. I am going elsewhere like Universal Studios next time.
Ouch. Sorry. I would think G+ would only be good for MK with its many rides. We used it for HS once, not during a major holiday though. Would not bother with Epcot or AK.

As a Universal AP holder, welcome to the dark side!

Ouch is right. My trip is not until August and I've been saying I won't pay for Genie+ and this information just helps with my decision. I will stand in line, go early, stay late, or give the ride a pass. Our first trip in 2005 Toy Story Mania had just opened and we couldn't even get a good old fast pass for that as they went so quickly. Waits were 3 hours long. We didn't ride it until years later, and missing out in 2005 did not ruin our trip. We were a family of 6. I can't imagine paying over $150 extra a day. I'm hoping they get rid of it. On a side note my youngest who is now 21 went with her boyfriend in the summer and raved about Genie+.

not my experience at all. here is how a sample Epcot / studios day when it is crowded
  1. Buy your G+ at 12:01am.
  2. 7:00am sign up for the most popular G+ ride at the park you are going to (Epcot) Remy
  3. 7:01am buy G+LL for Guardians 11am
  4. 7:02am buy G+LL for Rise for 6:00pm
  5. 7:03am to when ever refresh time for Remy for late in the day
  6. 8:00am rope drop early entry to EPCOT ride Test Track stand by
  7. 8:30am ride soarin stand by
  8. 9am to 10:29am enjoy epcot
  9. 10:30am get G+ spot for Rockin Roller Coaster
  10. 10:31 to when ever....refresh to get a time after 6:30pm
  11. 10:32am - 12:29pm enjoy epcot
  12. 12:30pm get G+ spot for Toy Story Midway Mania - refresh to after 6pm
  13. 1:00pm ride guardiens
  14. 2pm - 5pm resort pool time
  15. 2:30pm get G+ spot for Runaway Rail 6:30pm
  16. 4:30pm get smugglers run for 7:30pm
  17. 5:30pm arrive at the Epcot and ride Remi
  18. 5:45 head to the studios
  19. 6:00pm ride Rise
  20. 6:30pm get star tours for 8pm
  21. 6:31 ride rocking rollercoaster, 7:00 ride runaway rail. 7:30 ride tpy story midway mania, 8:00 ride smugglers run, 8:30 ride star tours, 8:59 get in line for stand by for slinky dog dash
2 parks, 2 "Fancy Rides", 6 G+ rides, 3 headliners stand by

13 rides in one day and you got Epcot and Studios "rides" out of the way. admitted, I don't like being tied to my phone...but if you are dilligent and know how it works...you can easily get things done.

People make the mistake with G+ trying to go ride for ride in order during the day......the key is to stack as much as possible for late evening and just take it easy during the day riding stand by what you can

$29 for G+, another $29 for ILL, and third one for another $29, you spent $100 per person just on passes. Then the park ticket is $180 for park ticket, so a grand total of almost $200 per person. If you have a family of 5, you need $1000 per day just on the tickets and passes alone.

I think most people, unlike dot com billionaires, have issues spending $1000 per day for park tickets and reservations just like that. You still need to add meals, hotel stay, and plane ticket.

WDW used to cost about half of this before COVID.... I know they need to make up their loses, but wow!

$29 for G+, another $29 for ILL, and third one for another $29, you spent $100 per person just on passes. Then the park ticket is $180 for park ticket, so a grand total of almost $200 per person. If you have a family of 5, you need $1000 per day just on the tickets and passes alone.

I think most people, unlike dot com billionaires, have issues spending $1000 per day for park tickets and reservations just like that. You still need to add meals, hotel stay, and plane ticket.

WDW used to cost about half of this before COVID.... I know they need to make up their loses, but wow!
party of 6 $1,240 a day for tickets.....yep...it stings.....but hey.....it gives us an opportunity for a $500 lunch and $300 for trinkets, and $100 for drinks......so $2,140 a day, all in....yet we keep coming

Purchasing G+ and ILL$ are optional. During many parts of the year, a great day can be had without paying extra for either of these. We’ve done without and not missed it.

Christmas week is not a ‘normal’ week at Disney so doesn’t really represent the norm,

Had our first day in 4 years at WDW today. We decided it was our last trip there so we will pay the 29$/day for G+ plus the 12-25$/day for ILL$ this week. I HATE paying for them but I have to say that it was worth it today at AK. And while WDW is still a happy place for me and my family, the ratio happiness to cost is no longer in our favour and just confirms our decision to spend our vacation money elsewhere in the next few years. Hello Europe, Hawaii and ski trips!

You couldn’t select Ratatouille, Frozen, or Test Track? I’m not a fan of genie+, but I’m shocked all 3 headliners were gone at 7am.

not my experience at all. here is how a sample Epcot / studios day when it is crowded
  2. 7:00am sign up for the most popular G+ ride at the park you are going to (Epcot) Remy
  21. 6:31 ride rocking rollercoaster, 7:00 ride runaway rail. 7:30 ride tpy story midway mania, 8:00 ride smugglers run, 8:30 ride star tours, 8:59 get in line for stand by for slinky dog dash

13 rides in one day and you got Epcot and Studios "rides" out of the way. admitted, I don't like being tied to my phone...but if you are dilligent and know how it works...you can easily get things done.

People make the mistake with G+ trying to go ride for ride in order during the day......the key is to stack as much as possible for late evening and just take it easy during the day riding stand by what you can
Could you flip this scenario for me? Seeing it laid out in this way is VERY helpful! We are starting at Hollywood and hopping to Epcot. What would you recommend? The only priorities are Smugglers, Toy Story Mania, Guardians and Soarin’. Everything else will be excellent additions to our day. I’m planning to purchase the ILL for Guardians and would like to try the VQ for Remy if it’s still available when we get there.

We’re also not staying on property so, if I read it correctly, then I wouldn’t be eligible to make my selections until Hollywood opens. Is that correct?

I have to contest this as I am very savvy with the lightning lanes and the original poster is right. I had 2 days this last visit where I could not get Frozen and Remy in one day. One was sold out by 2 hours after park opening.

I could do one but experienced that by 2 hours after park opened test track and the other was sold out.

I could do one but experienced that by 2 hours after park opened test track and the other was sold out.
Unfortunately on a crowded day this is what I would expect with genie+…. One headliner and then maybe if you play the refresh game another one might pop up. Even with fp+ you had to pick between Frozen and Test Track. I don’t like the system at all and the fact that they charge for it is even more frustrating.

Genie+ can’t fix the capacity issues on crowded days… it’s sad that Disney now charges people for the idea that they can “skip the lines.”

Use refresh and it will generally work out for you.

Here today 12/29. Got Slinky Dog at 7 for 1:15-2:25 that time didn’t work for us since we were hopping to all 4 parks in a day. Was able to get it to 9:05-10:05a still not ideal and got it to 12:05-1:05 since we were arriving around 11a. Refreshed for about 18 minutes from 7-7:18ish.

Started stacking to end our night in EPCOT got “sold out” Test Track (7:55-8:55p return) at 10:34 after 4 minutes of refreshing our 10:30 window.
Added Soarin, Spaceship Earth, and Living with the Land throughout other windows in the day.

Genie+ is about a bit of effort but does not require staring at your phone. The system is not a disaster or a rip off.

We've found a good rope drop to be infinitely more useful than Genie+ this week. On 12/26, we rope-dropped Slinky, went to Toy Story Mania as a walk-on, then had about a twenty five minute wait for Alien Swirling Saucers, and were done with Toy Story Land in a little over an hour. Then it was time for my sister to ride Rise, as I'd bought her an Individual Lightning Lane for it since she hasn't been on it yet after two trips.

For Epcot a few days earlier, we rope dropped Remy's from the World Showcase entrance, took a leisurely stroll to Frozen, and by then or boarding group for Guardians had been called.

The problem with both of these days was that was pretty much it for decent rides. The rest of the days were filled with shows, dining, shopping, and snacking. All of which was still quite fun. By the end of the trip, we're getting into the habit of rope dropping, going back to the hotel, then coming back in the evening.

I'd rather spend about the same amount on an Individual Lightning Lane and skip a guaranteed 90+ minute queue (unless you have the perfect for drop, which we never did for the ILL rides) than building my day around whatever comes up available on a super busy day. I think when we tried Genie+ at Hollywood Studios, we got Slinky at about 4:30, when we wanted to be out of the park, and by the time 11:00 rolled around all that was left was Star Tours or similar (which, to be fair, had over an hour wait at the time) and even those were all gone by 1PM.

Modifying our Genie+ Lightning Lanes was the worst idea ever. I'd refresh, see an earlier time pop up, select it as quickly as I could, and then it would give me a return time later in the day than my original, rather than the time I'd hit confirm on.

Christmas is most likely the busiest time of year no getting around it. I'm not a universal person but I'd hazard a guess it would be busy there as well. I've been to WDW twice since Genie+ came out and didn't buy it either time. Once in April when it was pretty busy and once the last week in August when everything was pretty much a walk on (hotter than Hades and rain storms every day but not busy). Both times I rode everything I wanted to. I don't ride FOP but could have had I wanted to.

What works for me: park hoppers are a must, I've always bought them anyway since I like to take a rest mid day and go somewhere different at night. I do the park I've reserved for the next day the night before. This allows me to do a few rides and gives me a more relaxing day on my reservation day. Yes, sometimes I wait in long lines, but I'm o k with that, especially at night. Example - it's Monday afternoon/evening and I have a reservation for HS the next day. Maybe I've spent the morning at MK until about 1, eaten some lunch and gone back to the resort to the pool. Around 4 or 5 head over to HS. Let's do worse case here and say it closes at 8, I don't remember it ever closing earlier than that. I'm a little hungry so walk up waitlist for HBD lounge, the expected wait is 30 minutes so I shop a little. Eat and now it's 6:30. Hop in line for a ride, maybe I get two done before 7:50. Get in line for rise. So I've eaten and done 3 rides at the park I'm going to the next day. I now have time to ride the rides I didn't the night before, watch a few shows, shop, eat whatever the next day. In my imaginary trip I have 5 day hoppers so I've made reservations at one park for two days. Day 5 I'm really just taking it easy, shopping, hitting a few rides, sleeping in whatever. On a 5 day trip I've been known to hop to 3 parks easy, maybe I've hopped into Epcot for a hour or so to snack at booths, or to AK to catch a show then moved on.

I'm hoping in the new year hopping is going to change to a little earlier but it's still possible to do a lot without paying extra and not stressing. I don't make advanced ADRs just day of and pretty much wing it, which also means less stress since there is nothing I'm rushing to.

Could you flip this scenario for me? Seeing it laid out in this way is VERY helpful! We are starting at Hollywood and hopping to Epcot. What would you recommend? The only priorities are Smugglers, Toy Story Mania, Guardians and Soarin’. Everything else will be excellent additions to our day. I’m planning to purchase the ILL for Guardians and would like to try the VQ for Remy if it’s still available when we get there.

We’re also not staying on property so, if I read it correctly, then I wouldn’t be eligible to make my selections until Hollywood opens. Is that correct?
When staying offsite, you can book a G+ LL at 7AM. It is the ILL$ purchases you are not eligible to book until park opening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter