• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Genie+ And Ticket price increase 10/11/2022

The cancellation policy is what I am upset about and do not like. I got a "strike" on my Magic Key because we didn't go a couple of weeks ago. My kids were sick when they woke up so we did not go.

I got a strike even though I did go and used the MK to enter! I am informed the system shows no entry, and the strike cannot be removed, even though it is incorrect.

Someone on Reddit priced out cost per hour of Disney vs. movies/concerts/games etc. and it all comes out pretty equal or even better for Disneyland.
For concert a lot depends on who you want to see... I have been to plenty of great shows where tickets were less than $50. The last show I saw tickets were $25 and beer was $7-8 for a 24oz can and this was in Manhattan. Yes if you price out tier 1 acts you are looking at well over $100 per ticket. I, personally, don't like going to tier 1 shows since the tickets I can afford are so far back you have to watch the screens and not the performer. So I go to see less well known acts and have a better time.

The same goes for Disney... I'll go to smaller parks and have a better time (get on more rides) for less than 1/2 the price.

Someone on Reddit priced out cost per hour of Disney vs. movies/concerts/games etc. and it all comes out pretty equal or even better for Disneyland.
That's disingenuous. Concerts aren't designed to be multiple day events. And a visit to Disney isn't designed to be limited to a few hours.

That's disingenuous. Concerts aren't designed to be multiple day events. And a visit to Disney isn't designed to be limited to a few hours.

No, it’s not. I was responding to a specific post of someone saying they found value in that. Some people find value in being able to spend their entertainment money for a whole day, rather than spending their entertainment money for a couple hours and they are allowed to.

I think we can all agree that the concept of "value" is completely subjective. This is why topics like price increases can be so divisive. While some might be outraged, others still see plenty value. Disney, like every other business, will raise prices to keep up with inflation and to balance supply and demand. In the case of Disney, the demand far outpaces the supply so it's no brainer that they raise prices.

I think we can all agree that the concept of "value" is completely subjective. This is why topics like price increases can be so divisive. While some might be outraged, others still see plenty value. Disney, like every other business, will raise prices to keep up with inflation and to balance supply and demand. In the case of Disney, the demand far outpaces the supply so it's no brainer that they raise prices.

This is why I have a hard time imagining things (crowds) are going to change anytime. Demand is crazy, crazy high. But these are all the exact same conversations that were being had when they raised prices in 2018/2019, including when they raised prices for max pass and here we are still busier than ever. What is worth fighting for to me is higher wages across the board to improve the experience, at least.

This is why I have a hard time imagining things (crowds) are going to change anytime. Demand is crazy, crazy high. But these are all the exact same conversations that were being had when they raised prices in 2018/2019, including when they raised prices for max pass and here we are still busier than ever. What is worth fighting for to me is higher wages across the board to improve the experience, at least.
Higher wages drive higher prices and inflation. It's a sick cycle.

Higher wages drive higher prices and inflation. It's a sick cycle.

That’s true, but I’m not worried about prices at Disneyland. I was priced out of AP’s, hotels and frequent trips many years ago. The right thing to do would be for Disney to raise wages since they’re raising prices anyway. For me, I think it’s important to bring up to them, and it’s worth being loud about, even if it seems impossible. I feel like they caved to PR pressure to raise wages once before.

Now this is tricky right now because of national inflation being out of control but for me it’s still worth it to try to fight for the narrowing of wage gaps. Even though I’m pretty sure collapse is right around the corner.

Couldn't agree more! Higher wages, happier employees, better experience for everyone involved.

For me, you can't equate something like an NFL game or a concert because you are paying a lot of money to have guaranteed experience. You have a seat. You have a good idea of how close other people will be. Your expectations about the logistics of the experience will almost certainly be met (maybe not the content of the experience - sometimes it's a terrible game.) At DLR, you are essentially paying for your seat, but then you get there to find out someone is basically sitting right on top of you and you can't even see the game. Or the game was cancelled and you still don't get a refund and now you just have to wander around with a million other people. Experience at the parks can vary wildly, mostly due to crowds and ride function, and lately it seems to be trending worse.

What is so interesting about the whole thing is the following (this a partial repost from a comment I made in another thread):

Personally, we are already committed to Disneyland this year so we have to go, but instead of 3 days I think we're only doing 2. For a lot of reasons, it's more than likely our last year visiting as a family with little kids which means I don't necessarily see another trip in the next 5 years. My youngest is 4 and for whatever reason - whether it's the lack of content or just personality differences - has not become super involved with Disney like my oldest was with princesses or my middle two boys were with Cars. He likes Cars, but there really haven't been any new movies or exciting characters in his era that he's attached to.

It's also not even about the money. Presumably, we are the kind of guests Disney would like to see? We are a top tax bracket family and repeat visitors from out of state. As opposed to our first visit with kids in 2014, now DLR trips are kind of miserable and do not feel like they have value anywhere close to what it actually costs. I suppose VIP tours exist, but even with a VIP tour, the feel of the parks does not make it worth a $3000 day. I thought I'd be sad thinking this is our last visit but I actually don't even care and I'm kind of dreading going in a couple weeks. I'm really glad I didn't buy OBB tickets because I haven't heard great things and the MHP we went to a couple years ago was not worth the current $180x6 people price tag.

Finally, considering all of these things, it interests me how busy the parks still are at current rates. It makes me feel like I have been lied to my whole life about the state of American finances - if we, who have plenty plus some discretionary income, think it's overpriced and the value isn't there, who are these hundreds of thousands of people who are paying and totally cool having a meh time? It makes me want to cry thinking about someone who makes $60k a year going and spending a few thousand on a Disney trip and getting horrendous lines, broken down rides, shoulder to shoulder people in NOS, no daytime parade, and half the time no real nighttime entertainment either. I just don't understand.

*I think it's great if people still feel like it's a valuable trip for them. Go for it. When you consider what you currently get (which varies, but again, trending worse) at price paid as a percentage of annual income for the average American family, I don't get it. I just don't.

For me, you can't equate something like an NFL game or a concert because you are paying a lot of money to have guaranteed experience. You have a seat. You have a good idea of how close other people will be. Your expectations about the logistics of the experience will almost certainly be met (maybe not the content of the experience - sometimes it's a terrible game.) At DLR, you are essentially paying for your seat, but then you get there to find out someone is basically sitting right on top of you and you can't even see the game. Or the game was cancelled and you still don't get a refund and now you just have to wander around with a million other people. Experience at the parks can vary wildly, mostly due to crowds and ride function, and lately it seems to be trending worse.

What is so interesting about the whole thing is the following (this a partial repost from a comment I made in another thread):

Personally, we are already committed to Disneyland this year so we have to go, but instead of 3 days I think we're only doing 2. For a lot of reasons, it's more than likely our last year visiting as a family with little kids which means I don't necessarily see another trip in the next 5 years. My youngest is 4 and for whatever reason - whether it's the lack of content or just personality differences - has not become super involved with Disney like my oldest was with princesses or my middle two boys were with Cars. He likes Cars, but there really haven't been any new movies or exciting characters in his era that he's attached to.

It's also not even about the money. Presumably, we are the kind of guests Disney would like to see? We are a top tax bracket family and repeat visitors from out of state. As opposed to our first visit with kids in 2014, now DLR trips are kind of miserable and do not feel like they have value anywhere close to what it actually costs. I suppose VIP tours exist, but even with a VIP tour, the feel of the parks does not make it worth a $3000 day. I thought I'd be sad thinking this is our last visit but I actually don't even care and I'm kind of dreading going in a couple weeks. I'm really glad I didn't buy OBB tickets because I haven't heard great things and the MHP we went to a couple years ago was not worth the current $180x6 people price tag.

Finally, considering all of these things, it interests me how busy the parks still are at current rates. It makes me feel like I have been lied to my whole life about the state of American finances - if we, who have plenty plus some discretionary income, think it's overpriced and the value isn't there, who are these hundreds of thousands of people who are paying and totally cool having a meh time? It makes me want to cry thinking about someone who makes $60k a year going and spending a few thousand on a Disney trip and getting horrendous lines, broken down rides, shoulder to shoulder people in NOS, no daytime parade, and half the time no real nighttime entertainment either. I just don't understand.

*I think it's great if people still feel like it's a valuable trip for them. Go for it. When you consider what you currently get (which varies, but again, trending worse) at price paid as a percentage of annual income for the average American family, I don't get it. I just don't.

They aren’t having a meh time. You’re projecting. You can’t force other people to value things the same way you do. I think some people just cannot accept that someone else may be having a better time than they are.

For concert a lot depends on who you want to see... I have been to plenty of great shows where tickets were less than $50. The last show I saw tickets were $25 and beer was $7-8 for a 24oz can and this was in Manhattan. Yes if you price out tier 1 acts you are looking at well over $100 per ticket. I, personally, don't like going to tier 1 shows since the tickets I can afford are so far back you have to watch the screens and not the performer. So I go to see less well known acts and have a better time.

The same goes for Disney... I'll go to smaller parks and have a better time (get on more rides) for less than 1/2 the price.
I compare it to sports. I don’t want to see my minor league team. I want to see my MLB pro team. I don’t want to see a tier 2 play, I want to watch a Broadway hit. I’m not having a better time at smaller parks. Disney is the big boy on the block, the pro team and that’s what I want

Last edited:
They aren’t having a meh time. You’re projecting. You can’t force other people to value things the same way you do. I think some people just cannot accept that someone else may be having a better time than they are.
Absolutely agree, I'm projecting my own thoughts and I absolutely cannot envision a person for whom a Disneyland trip could be an entire monthly salary, having a good time with the current state of the parks. I certainly hope they are, I just can't empathize.

When’s the last time you took your family to an NFL game? There’s absolutely no guaranteed great experience in the NFL. I have great season tickets, but if the guy infront of me stands up the whole game, my view sucks. Sometimes beer gets spilled on us and people can have vulgar language. Most games are cool, but not all. Also, NFL games can be played outdoor. I’ve been to games in the cold and rain. I compare Disneyland to the NFL and concerts all the time because I think it’s a great entertainment comparison. It’s odd to me people top dollar for sporting events, but Disneyland is overpriced and dumb, even though you can be there the whole day. And at Disneyland I can bring my own food. I get some people think they’re getting ripped off. I don’t have that feeling. I’m getting a great deal considering I go to Disneyland once a week

When’s the last time you took your family to an NFL game? There’s absolutely no guaranteed great experience in the NFL. I have great season tickets, but if the guy infront of me stands up the whole game, my view sucks. Sometimes beer gets spilled on us and people can have vulgar language. Most games are cool, but not all. Also, NFL games can be played outdoor. I’ve been to games in the cold and rain. I compare Disneyland to the NFL and concerts all the time because I think it’s a great entertainment comparison. It’s odd to me they $450 per game (what I pay for) is nothing since it’s the NFL, but Disneyland is overpriced and dumb, even though you can be there the whole day. And at Disneyland I can bring my own food. I get some people think they’re getting ripped off. I don’t have that feeling. I’m getting a great deal considering I go to Disneyland once a week

I have definitely had people “sitting basically on top of me” at games lol. Then sometimes (once for me so far) there’s the complete jerks from the other team who literally harass you the entire time. I’ve never been harassed for 3 hours straight at Disneyland.

I am really curious if anyone who is saying the guest experience in the parks currently is “premium” and “worth the price” has actually been to the parks lately.

I love Disney. We go all the time. I feel lucky to live locally and be able to have a Magic Key because our visits are almost always enjoyable knowing we don’t have to “do it all” and we can always come back soon to ride a favorite or whatever.

All that said, the in-park experience right now is nothing like it was pre-pandemic, and not even as good as it was in the first 6-8 months after reopening, when capacity was limited and there were no fast passes at all and almost all the standby lines were very short or reasonable waits for the headliners.

Ever since Genie+ came out and they opened up the park capacity floodgates without being appropriately staffed/able to maintain the rides, things have been very noticeably different in the parks with very long waits for all the rides, not just headlines, and so many ride breakdowns.

I am really curious if anyone who is saying the guest experience in the parks currently is “premium” and “worth the price” has actually been to the parks lately.

I love Disney. We go all the time. I feel lucky to live locally and be able to have a Magic Key because our visits are almost always enjoyable knowing we don’t have to “do it all” and we can always come back soon to ride a favorite or whatever.

All that said, the in-park experience right now is nothing like it was pre-pandemic, and not even as good as it was in the first 6-8 months after reopening, when capacity was limited and there were no fast passes at all and almost all the standby lines were very short or reasonable waits for the headliners.

Ever since Genie+ came out and they opened up the park capacity floodgates without being appropriately staffed/able to maintain the rides, things have been very noticeably different in the parks with very long waits for all the rides, not just headlines, and so many ride breakdowns.
I completely agree with all that you said. All the issues you've pointed out is has nothing to do with Disney. The problem is that there are way too many people who want Disney. The experience is not as good because there are too many people, not because any of the attractions have changed. WE'RE the problem, not Disney. The only way they can balance this is by raising prices. I just can't see any other way around it.

I come from Hawaii and it's still worth it IMO. A 5-day park tickets on average cost $70 per day. That is comparable to when I had the Magic Keys and made 3 trips out of it. Could it be better. Sure. I really wish Disneyland offered more than 5-day tickets. Like 6-10 and decrease the average cost more.
I agree. At one point they had 10 day tickets which I loved. We would come to California for 2 weeks and go to Disneyland in the evenings a few times when we had other plans for the day; now I don’t go at all unless I can spend the whole day.

When’s the last time you took your family to an NFL game? There’s absolutely no guaranteed great experience in the NFL. I have great season tickets, but if the guy infront of me stands up the whole game, my view sucks. Sometimes beer gets spilled on us and people can have vulgar language. Most games are cool, but not all. Also, NFL games can be played outdoor. I’ve been to games in the cold and rain. I compare Disneyland to the NFL and concerts all the time because I think it’s a great entertainment comparison. It’s odd to me people top dollar for sporting events, but Disneyland is overpriced and dumb, even though you can be there the whole day. And at Disneyland I can bring my own food. I get some people think they’re getting ripped off. I don’t have that feeling. I’m getting a great deal considering I go to Disneyland once a week
I think comparing a day at Disney to going to a live sports or concert event is a great comparison. I personally can't imagine paying all that money to attend a game or concert, but everyone is different. I agree with you that at least at Disney, you can stay there all day and bring your own food. It's a bargain compared to live events.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter