GRAND OPENING - GRAND CLOSING (Florida)

We don't have one way aisles in the stores I go to. But, when I go during the elderly & high risk people hour, it's kind of like playing "Human Pac Man." We'll walk to the end of an aisle and look down it. If we see someone already in the aisle, we'll go shop a different aisle until that one clears. And once you start walking down a particular aisle, no backing up or backtracing.

I accidentally did that once, as I realized I passed what I wanted. I turned to back up and there was already a person there, 6ft behind me, waiting for me to move forward. So, I just kept moving forward, instead of being rude and getting in her space. She had politely left 6 ft behind me, until I moved forward, even though I was in the space she wanted to get to. So, I wasn't going to back up. It was my fault that I wasn't looking more carefully in the first place.
We barely have aisles in many of NYC's supermarkets and no worries about shopping cart placement in parking lots:lmao:.
When I was a teenager I worked one summer doing inventory counts in supermarkets. They were all in different parts of Long Island and gave me my first look of "real" supermarkets.10 different types of mashed potatoes! An entire aisle of tomato products. Dizzying.

This is why the rate of hospitalizations is the most important number. It shows how many people are sick enough that they need to be hospitalized and most likely in ICU.

I watch our Coronavirus news briefing every day. We get ALL the numbers and the Governor explains all the data to us and if we need to be concerned about anything particular. Our state is so big that we have different regions opening in different phases. Some are going to be in Phase 3 next week, while NYC is only in our first week of Phase 1.

With all the protests throughout the state, these next couple weeks will be crucial in seeing what all the charts do. Hopefully we will not have to close down again. :( Some businesses that could have opened this week didn't because they are afraid of looting, whether the protests will turn into riots, and whether the hospitalization numbers go back up.

Florida state and local level is not concerned yet, but they are watching everything.

There is a place you can see what current hospitalizations are for any reason and see how many beds are available which is what is needed to know. Florida has never reported current hospitalized only total ( which is anyone that was for any period of time)

Small world, I am in Fleming Island also :) A lot are due to back log of testing too.

:wave2:

I would think that cars on a street are much different than people walking in a aisle without people parked all along the aisle. I would also think that with masks being worn the real transmisions are coming from the sides and walking past someone would be better as quick as possble rather than trying to hurry walk faster and possibly breathe haevier in a fast walk to pass. Lastly anything that reminds me of Ikea, I hate. And nothing seems fast in Ikea.

What are the hospitalizations like? Just harping about "New cases" doesn't really mean anything. Are they cases that are mild and can be treated at home? Are they cases that are putting people in the hospital? In ICU?
Because I am a bit of a data nerd, I have been tracking available ICU beds in Orange County, Fl, starting this week

I have not found a site that will give a breakdown of Covid vs NonCovid, so this is just the numbers
Monday 105
Tue 102
Wed 70
Thur 75
Fri 64
Sat 56
Today 48

I am more than aware that this doesn't tell the whole story, but it certainly has been interesting to follow

Florida testing has decreased.
I have them increasing, at least when I look at positive and negative results, which I would think would equate to testing.
Keep in mind they might have lowered testing but results are slightly delayed and if they lowered last couple of days you will see in reults probabaly 3 to4 days later.

Pos ResultNegative ResultPos ChangeNeg ChangeOverall Change
Jun 7
63938​
1152220​
1216158​
Jun 8
64904​
1169646​
1234550​
2%​
2%​
2%​
Jun 9
66000​
1192305​
1258305​
2%​
2%​
2%​
Jun 10
67371​
1211652​
1279023​
2%​
2%​
2%​
Jun 11
69069​
1237679​
1306748​
3%​
2%​
2%​
Jun 12
70971​
1264928​
1335899​
3%​
2%​
2%​
Jun 13
73552​
1296861​
1370413​
4%​
3%​
3%​
15%​
13%​
13%​

Florida state and local level is not concerned yet, but they are watching everything.
Seminole County seems to be concerned:

The medical director said he was very concerned about the community and how many times he’s heard “this is not a big deal," adding things were getting better but not anymore.
“This is a big deal. And it’s getting worse. We were so close to zero. Close. And then we started opening up, which we should,” Husty said.
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...ive-seminole-county-leaders-discuss-covid-19/

I don't fully understand why walking one way helps.
Did the CDC recomend this?

I haven't heard any actual experts suggest that one-way aisles do anything. Not doctors, not infectious disease researchers, not the CDC. Actively searching for an answer just gives me a lot of "Publix and Walmart enact one-way aisles"... I already know that. Explain to me why. Still haven't seen any real, scientifically sound explanation. Just a bunch of parrots who heard someone say "it controls the flow of people through the store!"

Riddle me this: if the point is to reduce exposure, why should you walk down two aisles to get to an item that you otherwise would have only walked down one to get to? That exposes you to more people. If you need items on three separate aisles, and they all happen to be "wrong way" aisles, you now have to go down six to get to them. Three more aisles full of people are now exposed to you than would have been otherwise. This is basic math. It also extends the amount of time you are in the store, increasing the likelihood you will encounter or expose another person.

And "it reduces congestion and bumping into people"... not in my stores it hasn't. It's just made people cluster up at the ends of the aisles trying to make sure they're following the arrows.

Everyone still passes each other and stands next to each other if they're looking at items.

And reducing stores to a single entrance.... on what planet is 200/1 better than 200/2 if the point is reducing the number of people in a single area? Did no one learn basic division? If you have approximately the same number of people, going in fewer or a single entrance, that INCREASES the number of people at that entrance. Because no matter what, some people would have gone to the other entrance, but now everyone must go into the same place.

It's all a bunch of nonsense to make people "feel" safer, but doesn't actually make anyone safer. "One way means no one will pass me going the opposite way!" One way ALSO means that people who wouldn't have passed you at all now have to.

Pos ResultsNegative Total test ResultsHospPos ChangeNeg ChangeOverall ChangeHosp Chang
Jun 7
63938​
1152220​
1216158​
11215​
Jun 8
64904​
1169646​
1234550​
11282​
2%​
2%​
2%​
1%​
Jun 9
66000​
1192305​
1258305​
11460​
2%​
2%​
2%​
2%​
Jun 10
67371​
1211652​
1279023​
11621​
2%​
2%​
2%​
1%​
Jun 11
69069​
1237679​
1306748​
11850​
3%​
2%​
2%​
2%​
Jun 12
70971​
1264928​
1335899​
11986​
3%​
2%​
2%​
1%​
Jun 13
73552​
1296861​
1370413​
12155​
4%​
3%​
3%​
1%​
15%​
13%​
13%​
8%​

In North Florida only about 10% of people are wearing masks in stores. It's disheartening. People will be all furious if we have another stay at home order, but are gathering in large groups with no masks and acting like this pandemic doesn't exist. In August FL is inviting the RNC. Crazy.

We know the media likes to post the worst and most dire info they can find, and what I am seeing is lots of info about “spikes” in cases, but practically nothing about hospitalizations- every now and then the media will say there is a “rise” in hospitalizations, but we don’t get a lot of numbers of how many beds and ventilators we have available. We have to search for those. Many people who test positive are asymptomatic and/or don’t need any medical help at all.

I think we can be assured that when there is actually a concern that hospitals could be overwhelmed, the media will be reporting that everywhere.

The media has been reporting “spikes” in cases in Georgia, but when we actually go look at the data, which they don’t report, there are plenty of hospital beds available. Over half of our ER beds are available. 70% of our ventilators are available.

Georgia has been open for six weeks and people have been active and largely mask-less- and we have plenty of beds and medical supplies- and that’s with all the elective surgeries being done.

We expect lots of people to test positive. Back in March, several doctors were saying that a good portion of the population will eventually get this. Most will have few to no problems.

As long as people with compromised immune systems continue to social distance and avoid going out, there should not be a huge rise in hospitalizations.

It’s a little premature to predict more apocalyptic shutdowns at this point.

What are the hospitalizations like? Just harping about "New cases" doesn't really mean anything. Are they cases that are mild and can be treated at home? Are they cases that are putting people in the hospital? In ICU?

An average of 8% of people in the US (that's over 26 MILLION) catch the flu each year, and that's WITH a vaccine readily available. Yes, I get that this is more serious than the flu. My point is about stressing over only the case numbers and not looking at what "kind" of cases they are.
Even if they are mild, or asymptomatic, cases it increases the risk of transmission to high risk people when more of the population is "out there" spreading the virus.

Seminole County seems to be concerned:

The medical director said he was very concerned about the community and how many times he’s heard “this is not a big deal," adding things were getting better but not anymore.
“This is a big deal. And it’s getting worse. We were so close to zero. Close. And then we started opening up, which we should,” Husty said.
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...ive-seminole-county-leaders-discuss-covid-19/

orlando and Jacksonville aren’t yet

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter