Guess who has the best selling jersey in the NFL as of today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I don't really even understand what the flag had to do with it. It's kneeling during the national anthem. I feel like the flag arguments just came in because the whole disrespecting the military doesn't hold too much water with just the national anthem.

Actually, when you consider the history of the National Anthem & what men went through to keep the Flag flying during that night, the National Anthem does have a lot to do w/ our military history.

Actually, when you consider the history of the National Anthem & what men went through to keep the Flag flying during that night, the National Anthem does have a lot to do w/ our military history.

I don't know. For me, it's a stretch. I mean if your going with that argument then aren't the freedoms they were fighting for just as important?
Maybe it's just that I don't get caught up in symbols in the same way as other. I think sometimes people get so caught up in symbols that they forget the ideals and principles those symbols represent.

It didn't fly through the night and couldn't have. There were gale force winds. It would have been in tatters. They hoisted it up the next morning. Nor could Key have seen it if it did.

I was talking about the flag and that wearing it or wiping your mouth with it is actually against the code.

You identified kneeling as not being against Flag Code, which really pertains to physical care and display of the flag. I was just pointing out that kneeling during the anthem IS against US Code 36.

I don't know. For me, it's a stretch. I mean if your going with that argument then aren't the freedoms they were fighting for just as important?
Maybe it's just that I don't get caught up in symbols in the same way as other. I think sometimes people get so caught up in symbols that they forget the ideals and principles those symbols represent.

I get what you're saying, but that's also what I don't understand.

Yes, the Flag & the Anthem are just symbols. But they are symbols that stand for the ideals & principles of freedom & liberty - the same liberties that give one the right to peacefully protest. So I don't get kneeling in protest while the "symbol" that gives you that very right is being played. The Anthem (& the Flag) have nothing to do with any perceived injustice against you - instead, the Anthem is a symbol which stands for the rights you have to peacefully protest against injustice.

It didn't fly through the night and couldn't have. There were gale force winds. It would have been in tatters. They hoisted it up the next morning. Nor could Key have seen it if it did.

Uh, I think it *did* fly through the night. And there were men in the fort that died to keep it hoisted. And, yes, it was very much in tatters the next morning.

These guys are quiet. It doesn't get any quieter than kneeling quietly. They didn't turn their backs on the flag. There is no greater show of subservience or supplication than kneeling. This is in no way a show of disrespect for the flag or veterans...if anything, quiet peaceful protest is the greatest thanks a soldier who fought for those rights can be shown. Using those hard fought rights. Whether you agree with the sentiment behind the protest or not.

This is what gets me. I keep hearing Harrison Ford and Sean Connery's voices in my head, "Only the penitent man will pass. A penitent man is humble before God. A penitent man kneels before God." In all they times people kneel: in Church, in service of their King, to ask for a woman's hand in marriage when has it been a sign of disrespect and not the ultimate sign of respect and devotion? IMHO, it's a very powerful action to take because as someone mentioned, "the flag is supposed to be a symbol of liberty and justice for all." The protesters believe that is not practiced in reality. So instead of turning their backs, flipping the bird, mooning the flag...they go the opposite way. I sort of interpret in the same vein as, "why hast thou forsaken me?" "What have we (the larger issue, not any specific individual) done to make us deserving of unequal justice, unequal liberty. How have we (again, as a people) failed you (in this case, the flag or this country)?

In this country, it seems like it has been proven again and again that there is no one right way to do something, no one right way to act, no one right way to feel, no one right way to honor... so to see the drum being pounded so hard and so vehemently about how awful and disrespectful they are being. Especially, after seeing reactions about other recent hot button events. It hurts, and I find myself asking the same questions, and more. But it's a lot easier to dismiss, diminish and ignore the "disrespectful."

Here's the deal for the NFL. They have been placed in a difficult situation. By allowing the kneelers, they are losing a large fan base. This means less $$$, and they are a business. They caved out of PC. It will cost them dearly. That is exactly why as the employer, they have the right to censor their employees (players and coaches) which they have done in many instances in the past.
By the way, hasn't a boycott already been called for by black leaders trying to get a team to cave and sign Kaepernick?

Yeah. It's like forcing people to apologize. What meaning does it really have if you are forced?
Besides it's not even really forcing patriotism as much as forcing your idea of patriotism.

Aren't the protesters in effect looking for a forced apology?

Edit: and by that I mean originally. Yes, it's become something more/different this past week.

Because you are expected to stand if you can when the flag is presented and the anthem is sung, as a sign of respect for the flag and what it represents. Kneeling, remaining sitting, or turning your back means you are refusing to respect the flag and those who have fought and died under it.

FWIW I fully support everyone's right to fee speech and peaceful protest, but I think they could could definitely have chosen a way to protest that was not disrespectful to our veterans and the families of those who have paid the ultimate price for us to have such freedoms.

Well, this 97 year old WWII Veteran disagrees with you. I'm sure he is not the only one.

"I want to show support for those kids," Middlemas told his grandson Brennan Gilmore during a chat they shared on Saturday. "They have every right to protest."

upload_2017-9-26_16-9-46.jpeg

Yeah. It's like forcing people to apologize. What meaning does it really have if you are forced?
Besides it's not even really forcing patriotism as much as forcing your idea of patriotism.

Do you think that the volunteer Chief of the Fire department shouldn't have been forced to apologize? From your post I believe not. You are forcing him to apologize for a belief you hold and he doesn't. Patriotism is a belief and maybe your brand of patriotism is something he doesn't believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter