• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Guess who has the best selling jersey in the NFL as of today

Status
Not open for further replies.
The charity I work with makes a good percentage of their money raffling sports memorabilia off- right now we can not even give the football crap away, people just don't want anything to do with football because of the crap they are pulling.

I'm guessing the context of that will really be dependent on what charity it is and the demographics of your typical supporters. No doubt it's true for your charity, and equally untrue for others, depending on the demographics of their supporters.

Wow I'm really surprised this thread is still open.

I disagree with following his - Blake's lead. I remember when that happened and it was a news story for a brief moment and that was it. It is not a national story and it seems very few are still listening. Kapernick started this a whole season ago and were still talking about this and he isn't even in the league anymore. I feel that by kneeling it is doing exactly what protest are supposed to be about, it is to make you uncomfortable in hopes that true conversations can begin which includes listening and trying to understand the other sides viewpoint and experiences. I think James Blake and how he is approaching what happened to him makes everyone feel comfortable and unfortunately his experience gets lost.

Yup, I think this proves why this particular type of protest is effective. Volunteering, donating to charity, etc is awesome and important. Writing books and researched articles are also awesome and important. But sometimes loud, public, inconvenient, even maybe controversial actions are far more effective at actually ensuring the public is aware of the topic at hand.

I've never actually even heard of James Blake until this thread, but I'm intrigued and hope to get his book now.

I'm guessing the context of that will really be dependent on what charity it is and the demographics of your typical supporters. No doubt it's true for your charity, and equally untrue for others, depending on the demographics of their supporters.
Packer memorabilia is still very popular where I live.

That was not my intent at all, and I do apologize if I came across that way.
I was just trying to say that as long as we can recognize that our own side has to be honest, not just the other, then I agree with everything you said.
That was unfair, you never pointed to only one side having an issue with honestly, that was something I assumed you meant from your post.

Yeah i think we are in agreement on that. I think it's a common thing to get so caught up in pointing out flaws in "the other side" that we don't hear what is trying to be conveyed. That's where discussions dissolve into bickering. It turns into "what about x" "oh yeah well what about y" and on and on.
Anyways, thank you for not getting defensive about my comments to you. It was nice to engage with someone and (probably) disagree but not have it completely dissolve.

LOL - I'm assuming you've seen the other one. Too bad we can't show it (political).

No, I hadn't seen the meme you're referring to.

But I searched and found it. There's no way I could post that one. Without getting major points, that is.

FWIW, I rarely see sports stuff in my life (just not places I hang or an interest). I was at a dive bar early yesterday evening (a tiny bit hipstery, not a sports bar) and saw a person wearing a jersey. It was not of a current player.

I know more players and owners name in the NFL right now than I ever have in my life...so maybe this is good for the NFL?

Blown out of proportion? All I know about it is from his own words. Taking the racial slur out of it doesn't even begin to lessen the disgusting thought behind it.

Psst, Tomlin is the black coach who was referred to as the n-word, NOT the guy who called him that.

FWIW, I rarely see sports stuff in my life (just not places I hang or an interest). I was at a dive bar early yesterday evening (a tiny bit hipstery, not a sports bar) and saw a person wearing a jersey. It was not of a current player.

I know more players and owners name in the NFL right now than I ever have in my life...so maybe this is good for the NFL?

Meanwhile, we have a local sports bar & grill type restaurant who posted on their FB page that they would no longer be showing NFL football games on their TVs.

Sorry, wearing a shirt with a flag on it is not in my or many others opinions equitable to kneeling for the anthem.

I know you're trying to make the point that using an American-themed napkin during a 4th of July celebration is just as much of a disrespect to the flag as not standing during the National Anthem, but I will respectfully disagree with you. I think one needs to look at context in both instances. Suggesting that the two things are the same is, at best, a bit disingenuous, &, at worst, rather smug & condescending.

Not to get technical but it is not just disrespecting the flag. It is actually against US Flag code to do so, kneeling isn't.

Any (former) Eagles fans out there who are so disgusted with the NFL they're willing to give their tickets away? I might be interested. DH's birthday is coming up.

These guys are quiet. It doesn't get any quieter than kneeling quietly. They didn't turn their backs on the flag. There is no greater show of subservience or supplication than kneeling. This is in no way a show of disrespect for the flag or veterans...if anything, quiet peaceful protest is the greatest thanks a soldier who fought for those rights can be shown. Using those hard fought rights. Whether you agree with the sentiment behind the protest or not.

That said, I don't watch football or any sports. I have no idea why the anthem even needs to be played before the start of a domestic sports team's game.

I agree. I don't get why kneeling is disrespectful...I've never heard that. From the reactions you'd think these guys are giving the finger to the flag

It's not hurting the team here. Last season I remember some discussions during sunday get togethers about the kneeling. It was really either people were ok with it or just didn't agree with it but it was more of a side note.
While this past weekend it's become a much bigger thing, it's also become more complicated. It's not just an issue of whether you agree with the kneeling or the issues behind it. There's also the added element of whether a certain person should be involving himself the way he is. I'm finding people who didn't care for it last year, didn't get it, didn't agree with Kaepernick's opinions are much more supportive of these latest demonstrations because they don't support the idea of government getting involved and forcing people to stand.

I agree. I don't get why kneeling is disrespectful...I've never heard that. From the reactions you'd think these guys are giving the finger to the flag
Because you are expected to stand if you can when the flag is presented and the anthem is sung, as a sign of respect for the flag and what it represents. Kneeling, remaining sitting, or turning your back means you are refusing to respect the flag and those who have fought and died under it.

FWIW I fully support everyone's right to fee speech and peaceful protest, but I think they could could definitely have chosen a way to protest that was not disrespectful to our veterans and the families of those who have paid the ultimate price for us to have such freedoms.

Not to get technical but it is not just disrespecting the flag. It is actually against US Flag code to do so, kneeling isn't.

You're right.

And I never said that kneeling was against the Flag Code.

EDITED TO ADD - @JaxDad posted after me. It seems one is supposed to stand at attention during the National Anthem.

I believe that people have the right to kneel or stay seating or keep their hats on or whatever while the National Anthem is played, but I also believe to do so shows a lack of respect & reverence for the hard-won freedom & liberties for which the Flag stands.

Last edited:

Yeah. I don't really even understand what the flag had to do with it. It's kneeling during the national anthem. I feel like the flag arguments just came in because the whole disrespecting the military doesn't hold too much water with just the national anthem.

Yeah. I don't really even understand what the flag had to do with it. It's kneeling during the national anthem. I feel like the flag arguments just came in because the whole disrespecting the military doesn't hold too much water with just the national anthem.
The flag is always presented during the national anthem at NFL games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter