Harder to get a room?

I asked about how difficult it was to actually get those ressies and the answer was something to the effect of "Christmas and other major holidays are a virtual no-go, unless you get extremely lucky. You shouldn't have too much trouble at other resorts if you are looking at other times of the year."
"You shouldn't have too much trouble" means that you might have some trouble. That's more than fair disclosure. I don't believe there is merit in your concern.

From what I have read it seems the complaint is more with what some agents are promising, and I would be sure and let DVC know about that if it bothers you.

If truly want something to worry about there was a special on CCN, about the effect gas going to $8 a gallon in the US would have.

I think that will definitely take care of the 7 month booking problem.

kimberh said:
There was a post the other day from a new SSR owner thrilled to be one and then saying hoping to spend out time at VWL. I believe they just don't understand. I am new but one thing I did learn from reading this board for 2 years off and on, was buy where you want to stay. At the time, I really didn't understand the importance of why but I went through 4 VWL contracts and 6 months before I actually closed on one. I am still waiting on my membership cards but at least I am on the way. I just hope the 11 month window is not going to be complicated because of a few tying up rooms that they don't intend to use and then release them later on if they're not rented.

please tell me how SSR owners are going to have any impact on your hope of the 11 month is not going to be complicated any SSR owner can not book till 7 months out so even if they do wish to stay VWL you will have a 4 month start on them not being awkward here just finding it hard that you don't understand

Sammie said:
.....(snip)....If truly want something to worry about there was a special on CCN, about the effect gas going to $8 a gallon in the US would have.

I think that will definitely take care of the 7 month booking problem.
And maybe the 11 month problem, too, LOL!

Hope it doesn't happen (the gas increase).

Best wishes -

Interesting. We decided to go an add-on at SSR under the current promotion for the AP's. With the extra points, we decided to go for a 1BD villa instead of the studio for June 30-July 3. I just called MS, and learned that there are 1BD villas available for SSR, OKW, BCV, and BWV. ( I didn't ask about VWL) This is only 3 months out, and in prime time.

From reading this thread, I thought that the only thing available in prime time, 3 months out would be SSR. Well, we booked a 1 BD villa at BW(standard view no less). :banana: :banana: :banana:

Whoda thunk? :confused3

That's surely not the way DVC was sold when I was sold DVC. It sounds like you have recourse against the salesperson who lied to you.
Not trying to take sides or add to the debate.....just want to voice my personal experience. It was fact that our sales agent told us it was "generally" no problem to trade into other resorts at the 7 month window and this was touted as a major perk to owning DVC vs other timeshares. This was in 2000 when we bought during a stay at Vero.
Later on down the road, when the VWL sample model opened up, we toured it. This was in Oct '01. The CM who was in the model at the time we toured asked if we were Members already. We stated yes and told them our home resort was OKW. We added that we'd love to own some points at this new resort as well (we're long-time fans of WL). When she heard this, she matter of factly stated, "oh, you'll be able to use your OKW points to stay here as well". She never even added that it might be difficult or become difficult later on down the road.
So we were pretty much encouraged/assured we'd be able to use OKW points at other DVC resorts both in 2000 (when we signed on the dotted line) and then again in Oct '01 when we toured the VWL.

To be fair, that was true at the time, so there was no problem then.

One of the important and unique (at least to me) features of DVC is the flexibility offered by the opportunity to reserve at other DVC resorts at 7 months. I do realize that EVERY reservation is always based on availability (and that statement is very prominently displayed in all of our documents and in most of the presale literature).

I personally have always been able to get a non-home reservation within 7 months - sometimes multiple calls to MS were necessary, sometimes the waitlist was necessary (and that has always worked for me) - but I have never been disappointed trying to make a reservation within 7 months.

I always find it amazing that guides are criticized for touting this important (again, IMO) aspect of the DVC program.

A number of years ago, on this board, there were some quite vocal about guides mentioning this - even to the point of stating it was a lie. At that time I challenged those posters to give me a date when I would be unable to make a reservation within 7 months. No one even offered a suggested date to test the challenge. I'll stand by that challenge today and also sugest that as long as anyone is able to get a reservation within 7 months, the statement made by the guides is absolutely correct.

I would be very disappointed if the DVC guides failed to mention, as a selling point, the flexibility of DVC and the opportunity at 7 months to make non-home reservations. I would be very disappointed in any prospective purchaser who fails to read the documents before buying and who later states he didn't know/realize that all reservations are based on availability (IMO, the guides should not need to make a disclaimer stating that when it is so prominently placed in the DVC sales literature.)

.02 :)

I always find it amazing that guides are criticized for touting this important (again, IMO) aspect of the DVC program.
You're right. I'm reading back on the message posted earlier, and what the poster quoted the guide saying was that the member "shouldn't have too much trouble" -- that "too much" makes all the difference and I withdraw my earlier statement. What the guide said was utterly honesty and clear, and I don't have any problem with guides saying that. As a result, I agree that there isn't merit in the concern Paging Tom Morrow raised earlier.

WebmasterDoc said:
One of the important and unique (at least to me) features of DVC is the flexibility offered by the opportunity to reserve at other DVC resorts at 7 months. I do realize that EVERY reservation is always based on availability (and that statement is very prominently displayed in all of our documents and in most of the presale literature).

I personally have always been able to get a non-home reservation within 7 months - sometimes multiple calls to MS were necessary, sometimes the waitlist was necessary (and that has always worked for me) - but I have never been disappointed trying to make a reservation within 7 months.

A number of years ago, on this board, there were some quite vocal about guides mentioning this - even to the point of stating it was a lie. At that time I challenged those posters to give me a date when I would be unable to make a reservation within 7 months. No one even offered a suggested date to test the challenge. I'll stand by that challenge today and also sugest that as long as anyone is able to get a reservation within 7 months, the statement made by the guides is absolutely correct.

I would be very disappointed if the DVC guides failed to mention, as a selling point, the flexibility of DVC and the opportunity at 7 months to make non-home reservations. I would be very disappointed in any prospective purchaser who fails to read the documents before buying and who later states he didn't know/realize that all reservations are based on availability (IMO, the guides should not need to make a disclaimer stating that when it is so prominently placed in the DVC sales literature.)

Doc, thanks for posting this common sense message. I think most informed buyers and most SSR buyers are buying in with this complex understanding of the seven month window and with the knowledge that all reservations are based on availability.

I also want to add something painfully obvious but I have to state it anyway... there is nothing wrong with booking at a resort other than your home resort at the 7 month window. This is a perk in the program that we should not feel guilty about enjoying-- DVC members have been doing it long before SSR owners came on the scene and SSR members will do it as well. It's getting so if an SSR owner posts here in passing about plans to book elsewhere their post will get snarkily referenced elsewhere as proof that SSR owners don't get the system and don't understand BWYWTS. We get it. It is based on availability, and we have the 11 month advantage at our resort, and at 7 months, points are points. It's people who complain about outsiders booking "their" resort at 7 months and under who don't seem to get it.

WebmasterDoc said:

Doc - not saying it won't come through, but right now for the night before the DVC Member Cruise (10/21) there was no availability at BCV for a studio or one bedroom, heck even BWV was really limited. For the night following the cruise (10/26) there was only 1 BRs available BCV at 9 am eastern this morning. We did waitlist and I am hoping and praying it comes through, I just wanted to respond and say as of right now that resort is full for several room types.

Of course others will post and say we can stay elsewhere, yes we can, however, our wedding is at the YC on the 28th so we really wanted our family to stay on our DVC points at the resort.

chipscinderelly said:
Doc - not saying it won't come through, but right now for the night before the DVC Member Cruise (10/21) there was no availability at BCV for a studio or one bedroom, heck even BWV was really limited. For the night following the cruise (10/26) there was only 1 BRs available BCV at 9 am eastern this morning. We did waitlist and I am hoping and praying it comes through, I just wanted to respond and say as of right now that resort is full for several room types.

Of course others will post and say we can stay elsewhere, yes we can, however, our wedding is at the YC on the 28th so we really wanted our family to stay on our DVC points at the resort.

Since you are just within 7 months, I hope you were placed on the waitlist and asked to use autoconfirm where the dates you want will be automatically added for your stay- that way each day will be added as it becomes available instead of having to wait for all dates to open up at once. Using this waitlist method you will greatly enhance your chances to get what you want. The dynamics of the DVC reservation system create daily changes in availablity. DVC will NOT save dates for the waitlist as they become available- days will go to those on autoconfirm unless all of your dates are cancelled at once and you are at the top of the waitlist. I have often accepted dates, leaving open days in the middle of the stay - but those have ALWAYS become available using autoconfirm. Usually, I just receive a confirmation for the entire stay. If you get on the waitlist right at 7 months, your chances for any reservation are extremely high. The longer you wait, the chances will decrease- by defintion alone.

Waitlist early and often (and auto-confirm) ! ;)

I spoke to a friend of mine about this thread. His family has BCV points. He also stated he noticed it to be a bit harder to book so he does the following;

He books several different dates way in advance (inside 11 mo.) and when he narrows down when they can actually go he cancels the not needed ressies. He parents also have points and do the same. Thay may be why the 11 month window is harder as well. If everyone does that (which is perfectly ok by the rules), it will allow one to book several different dates and as the dates draw near and cancel those not needed. This will open up the wait list for anyone who is on it since they cancel just before the popints go to holding.

I think I may start doing that as well. I just sucks for people who can be blocked from getting dates that they maybe otherwise could have had.

Just another note of interest. He bought when BCV was very first offered and said he had a hard time initially getting rooms within 7 months (probably because al the other DVC members wanted to try out the new resort). He said it then got easier as the novelty wore off, but now it's noticably harder to find selected dates.

bicker said:
It's interesting how quick some folks are to blame DVD, who are just doing what they're supposed to, making profit for their investors. Ask yourself: Who's direct actions are responsible for difficulty in making reservations at the 7 month point? Yup: MEMBERS. Why is no one blaming the members who make their reservation so early, thereby messing up what you want?

Of course, the reason why is that the members have a right to do what they do. And, of course, the same is true of DVD. I suppose it's easier to complain about "The Man" than about your fellow member. However, neither claim has validity.

It is what it is. There doesn't need to be blame.
In general I would agree with you. I think blame is too strong a word. But I do find it questionable when one of the main selling points for resort A is you can exchange into resort B, C & D. Not that much different than the standard timeshare industry standard of buy at this resort and trade into that resort. Many times it's the non DVC resorts that are touting trading in to DVC. Though it's possible, it's not nearly as easy or likely as they would make it sound.

Rob, I've stated before on a couple of occasions that I am quite confident that the 7 month window will become more and more difficult. Not being able to get anything at 7 months is overly strong however, I predict that within 2-3 years of SSR sell out, it will be FAR more difficult. Basically after all SSR owners have a couple of trips under their belt. I'd say by then that greater than 50% of the time on average, one will not be able to get what you want at 7 month. But I've also stated that those who know how to play the system, call day by day, use the wait list effectively, etc will be far more successful than the rest. So I guess you can take it either way. To me this is not doom and gloom, merely reality. And we have at least 6-7 years before we're likely to know reasonably for certain one way or another. So how many similar threads can we get in between now and then?

JVSJr said:
I spoke to a friend of mine about this thread. His family has BCV points. He also stated he noticed it to be a bit harder to book so he does the following;

He books several different dates way in advance (inside 11 mo.) and when he narrows down when they can actually go he cancels the not needed ressies. He parents also have points and do the same. Thay may be why the 11 month window is harder as well. If everyone does that (which is perfectly ok by the rules), it will allow one to book several different dates and as the dates draw near and cancel those not needed. This will open up the wait list for anyone who is on it since they cancel just before the popints go to holding.

I think I may start doing that as well. I just sucks for people who can be blocked from getting dates that they maybe otherwise could have had.

Just another note of interest. He bought when BCV was very first offered and said he had a hard time initially getting rooms within 7 months (probably because al the other DVC members wanted to try out the new resort). He said it then got easier as the novelty wore off, but now it's noticably harder to find selected dates.
I think many have started doing this and similar other approaches. I know of several who have increased their lead time for planning and reservations, have started booking home resort as a backup for the 7 month options and who have started booking multiple or just in case reservations. These can be multiple unit sizes or weeks or both or even multiple resorts in some cases.

Dean said:
Rob, I've stated before on a couple of occasions that I am quite confident that the 7 month window will become more and more difficult. Not being able to get anything at 7 months is overly strong however, I predict that within 2-3 years of SSR sell out, it will be FAR more difficult. Basically after all SSR owners have a couple of trips under their belt. I'd say by then that greater than 50% of the time on average, one will not be able to get what you want at 7 month. But I've also stated that those who know how to play the system, call day by day, use the wait list effectively, etc will be far more successful than the rest. So I guess you can take it either way. To me this is not doom and gloom, merely reality. And we have at least 6-7 years before we're likely to know reasonably for certain one way or another. So how many similar threads can we get in between now and then?

I don't dispute that it has and will become more difficult to get reservations within 7 months as time goes on. I'm positive that the home resort priority will be more important as time goes on, but I'll still defend the right and responsibility of the guides to point out that one important component of the DVC program is the ability to make non-home reservations at 7 months. If it becomes too difficult (however we want to define that) , I wouldn't be too surprised to see DVC reduce the home resort priority to 8,9 or 10 months instead of the current 7 months.

I'm also positive we'll continue to have plenty of opportunity to revisit this topic as time goes on ! :)

Dean said:
[...] But I do find it questionable when one of the main selling points for resort A is you can exchange into resort B, C & D. Not that much different than the standard timeshare industry standard of buy at this resort and trade into that resort. Many times it's the non DVC resorts that are touting trading in to DVC. Though it's possible, it's not nearly as easy or likely as they would make it sound.
Dean, you know this (the concept I've bolded), but I'm not sure that it is safe to assume that the vast majority of folks looking into purchasing DVC know this. I didn't. I was interested in DVC solely because it was Disney, and had neither researched nor was interested in a timeshare before I started looking into DVC. To me, the idea that I had the option (never guaranteed) of staying at all DVC resorts was a big selling point - and I'm glad the Guide mentioned it. Not that I intend on exercising that option on a frequent basis - I love SSR, remember ;) - but I certainly believe that Guides, who are often educating folks with near-zero knowledge of time-shares, should be using exchanging to other DVC resorts as a big selling point.

IMHO - YMMV

bicker said:
It's interesting how quick some folks are to blame DVD, who are just doing what they're supposed to, making profit for their investors.

I had the opportunity to work with WDW as an outside contractor. While I will not go in to all of my experiences I can tell you that the bottom line is extremely important with the parks arm of Disney. In fact, in my 20+ year career I have never seen a company as cost motivated as Disney!

But, keep in mind that all of us DVC members are investors as well! Certainly we do not have the rights afforded shareholders - but - everyone reading this post has invested more then 10K in to this product! In fact many of you have more at stake then the average shareholder!

I think many have stated on this post: "Yes, reservations are more difficult now then they were in the past!".

The cause: Some believe it is the size of SSR. One poster pointed out that it may just be growth in general! I have changed my original view and now believe both aspects have a hand in it! This is certainly a debate that I do not think any of us will win.

But, in the end, if DVC was to move forward within the next year or two with the EP resort (which would also be very large - and very much like two other existing resorts: OKW and SSR) it would not be a positive thing for any of us!

And, if this is their decision - I will not sit back and say: "Can't blame them - they are a profit motivated company!" I will fight to protect my investment - and I would hope that others would join in!

DrTomorrow said:
Dean, you know this (the concept I've bolded), but I'm not sure that it is safe to assume that the vast majority of folks looking into purchasing DVC know this. I didn't. I was interested in DVC solely because it was Disney, and had neither researched nor was interested in a timeshare before I started looking into DVC. To me, the idea that I had the option (never guaranteed) of staying at all DVC resorts was a big selling point - and I'm glad the Guide mentioned it. Not that I intend on exercising that option on a frequent basis - I love SSR, remember ;) - but I certainly believe that Guides, who are often educating folks with near-zero knowledge of time-shares, should be using exchanging to other DVC resorts as a big selling point.

IMHO - YMMV
LOL, When the issue of guides being honest comes up, I always get so amused at DVC members. They're into splitting hairs on minor variations, "promises" and the like. While in the real timeshare world, a certain percent of sales staff will flat out lie to you just to make a sale.

Rob, we don't disagree. I think the issue was simply the orientation. Whether they explained the option or whether they directly misled the buyer. But as I said to Dr. T, it's small potatoes, esp if one read the legal paperwork.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter