Harrison Bay 2023

May I just say that I-59 in Northern Alabama has to be one of the worst roads in the country. I thought the whole camper was going to shake apart.

We got to the campground right at 4. The site leans far to the side so ended up having to re-setup with the leveling blocks.

We are on site A41, also known by many as the best site in the park. :tongue:
IMG_2412.jpeg
IMG_2413.jpeg
IMG_2410.jpeg

@tigger92662 and his DW are over for dinner

May I just say that I-59 in Northern Alabama has to be one of the worst roads in the country. I thought the whole camper was going to shake apart.

Having driven that route many, MANY times over the years, Arc, the left lane offers a better, smoother ride than the right lane. Speed be damned. And they are repaving up that way because they raised our gas taxes. They should have it done in 25 years. HA!

Ed

PS - Have you ever towed westbound across I-10 on the west side of Baton Rouge towards Texas? It will make you long for I-59 in Alabama .

PPS - have a great stay

Last edited:

One more day of work or jury duty depending on how lucky i get. Neither is a win. I find out in 45 minutes if i have to report. I am suspecting i will have to because i don't have time for that. If I do have to go, i certainly hope i dont get selected.

As @tigger92662 mentioned, we started the day at the Tennessee Aquarium. The DW was super excited to see the penguins and otters. She also was brave and petted the stingray and sturgeon.

IMG_2419.jpeg
IMG_2424.jpeg
IMG_2429.jpeg

For lunch we ate at the “Burger Republic” across the street from the aquarium. The tater tot fondue was amazing. I had the TN hot dog and DW had the four cheese burger. The tater tot fondue was the star of the show. I’d definitely recommended it. They also have “boozy” milkshakes.
IMG_2431.jpeg
IMG_2432.jpeg
IMG_2433.jpeg

Came back to the campground and swam in the bay for a bit and then watched the sunset.
IMG_2434.jpeg

Anyone there this coming Saturday or Sunday should go by the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum and ride the short ride behind a real steam locomotive.

tvrail.com click the option "View Calendar" and look for the steam rides on those days. The Missionary Ridge ride is 60 minutes roundtrip and includes a ride behind a steam loco in both directions 3 miles each way, a tunnel each way, and a turntable viewing at the far end. Plus a shop tour where you can see all the really BIG toys to play with (diesels, other steam locos, passenger coaches, and machining tools). Their parking lot at the main station (4119 Cromwell Road, Chattanooga, TN 37421) is plenty big enough if you want to pull a trailer or rv there to visit on your way out of town.

And $24 per person is not bad for the ride. Wish I was there.

Ed

Weather is looking kind of crappy for tomorrow. Figures on how my week is going. Plan is to be heading to chatt from the storage place around 11 am. Definitely want to be on the road by noon. We already have an RV project, apparently the fridge won’t come on. It is very old but it was working the last time the RV was out.

TVRM

047_CE1ECE61-D744-431C-94973A0282692973_98d8ead4-4f4a-47ae-b715e318a296fae8-scaled.jpg

2018-tennessee-valley-railroad-missionary-ridge-local-train-ride-homepage-ride-page-desktop-min.jpg

The turntable

missionary-ridge-local-train-photo-2-2.jpg

The shop

missionary-ridge-local-train-photo-1-1.jpg

missionary-ridge-local-train-photo-bridge-4.jpg

Our family has been going for 25 years.

Ed

Anyone there this coming Saturday or Sunday should go by the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum and ride the short ride behind a real steam locomotive.
Don’t you worry Ed. It’s on the agenda for Friday evening :) They offer it on Friday night now as well. I’m honestly contemplating doing that 8 hour Copperhill Special on Saturday too.

Don’t you worry Ed. It’s on the agenda for Friday evening :) They offer it on Friday night now as well. I’m honestly contemplating doing that 8 hour Copperhill Special on Saturday too.

I see the steam Missionary Ridge run at 5pm as steam (cool) and the Evening Ridge Runner which is described as being pulled by the 4501. It's the big steamer for TVRR. The 630 is the smaller steamer. If they run the 4501 at 5pm too (as a warmup maybe) then you'll be in for a treat at either time. :thumbsup2

I have a picture of the 4501 up in the attic with my g-scale railroad and a 4501 pin on my engineer hat. We've ridden the 4501 in a Pullman car on all day excursions. It's a treat. It's a 2-8-2 Mikado (2 small wheels in front, 8 big driver wheels, 2 under the cab) and star of the DVD "And Then There Was One" which is also on YT.

The Copperhill Special is diesel pulled but very pretty countryside (never done it).

Ed

PS - YT "And Then There Was One" full length 93 minutes

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter