Harrison Bay 2023

Our drive in was not fun. That second set of storms I wanted to miss, we drove right through them. Lucky for us no hail. Because the RV had been in for repairs and the slide removed. Things we a bit of a mess. first thing was some cleaning.

First Whisky is not a fan of the moving house. She was thrilled to get outside. She barked while engine was on but both of us out of the coach to check the site. We will need to leave and let Joe listen for barking. She was nervous last night but might be settling down since we are parked.

today we have not much planned need to look at the fridge. something going on with the wiring plus the volt thing was burnt up. the other thing is the water pump is not working. They did something weird with it when winterizing and now it seems to draw air.

Last night we played games at Arc and josie’s site. Then we cooked and Bert made the famous asparagus. It was enjoyed by all. We forgot pictures.

By Thursday evening the fridge was cold. One thing fixed, one to go. Whisky slept a little better last night so that meant I did as well. I went for a run this morning and scoped out the park. Then took whisky for a walk. She hates the moving house. She does enjoy being outside.

35FE5A70-D878-4970-A193-88F2DAA408F0.jpeg

After the walk Bert made breakfast. We ate well, biscuits, eggs, sausage and gravy but whisky is on a hunger strike. She will eventually eat when she gets hungry enough. She is drinking water.

Joe, Glenda, Hercules and Elsa stopped by right after breakfast. Then made whisky go inside for a while. Back outside now, whisky is much happier outside and it seems Bert fixed the water pump. So might be in business. Few other small projects.

You probably would believe that one of our Dear Sons came through town this week and gave me my Fathers Day gifts early. Now you can understand what I've passed on to our next generation.

1686963512219.jpeg

These pin badges are from the 1970s when the 4501 was giving steam excursion runs painted in green which was the color of its sponsor the Southern Railroad (which it also served). eBay is a great resource for my kids.

These badges went on the back of my main engineer hat up in the attic which features the 4501 most prominently (along with the TVRR since its my "home" railroad).

1686963704419.jpeg

Note the WDW "Magic Behind Our Steam Trains" pin from the tour we did many years ago. This hat has all the pins from trains I have ridden behind or museums I have visited. This hat is honestly getting pretty heavy.

Ed

PS - I'm glad people still have a chance to experience a real steam locomotive ride.

Last edited:
As @tigger92662 mentioned, today we did the TVRR. Everyone really enjoyed it and I enjoyed the sounds of the steam train whistle. Picked up an L&N railroad polo they had in the gift shop as my grandfather worked and retired from L&N.

IMG_2448.jpeg
IMG_2449.jpeg
IMG_2450.jpeg
IMG_2454.jpeg

As part of the Missionary Local train run, you get off at the East Chattanooga train depot. There they demonstrate the train table turning the train 180 degrees. Then they take you to their back shop where they repair their trains. You have the option of riding in the AC or an open air car.
IMG_2456.jpeg
IMG_2459.jpeg
IMG_2460.jpeg

@bama_ed, you’ll be proud to know we went ahead and got an annual pass for the TVRR.

For dinner, we went about 5 miles away from the campground to “Choo Choo BBQ.” It was fantastic. The service was great and so was the food. I’d highly recommend if you’re in the area.
IMG_2462.jpeg
IMG_2463.jpeg
IMG_2461.jpeg

We’ve decided to go ahead and leave in the morning as there is a lot of bad weather almost all the way home. Just wanted to get a start on the drive in case we had to stop and stay overnight somewhere.

we were the last to leave but first home maybe? We did a lot of things right for the short trip. It was our first short trip so that was a bonus. Today we left the dump area at 9:20 am. Driving early Sunday morning is a dream. had to stop midway for gas and got to storage at 11:30. Made it to the condo by 12:30. I am on my second load of laundry and we already finished grocery shopping.

unfortunately Whisky hates the moving house, even when not moving. Was hoping she would associate the RV with lots of outside time and fun, but no. Every time she went in she was anxious. Going to fun for our next RV adventure. It will be the long drive to disney and then staying in the moving house for two weeks. We are planning to work those weeks but she will make it difficult.

we did enjoy the campground and probably book it for next year for another short getaway.

I looks like everyone had a great time.

Kris- Sorry Whisky won't acclimate to RVing. If you do decide to go back to Chattanooga next year, let me know. That is a bit of a drive for us, but still reasonable for a long weekend

j

Last edited:
I looks like everyone had a great time.

Kris- Sorry Whisky won't acclimate to RVing. If you do decide to go back to Chattanooga next year, let me know. That I'd a bit of a drive for us, but still reasonable for a long weekend

j
We are currently looking at June 19 2024 which is Wednesday to that sun June 23. It should be enough past my go live in April 2024 that I can take a few days.

Well, it was a fun week. No trouble on the way to or from, diesel is much cheaper away from Illinois and I must say that the people in the mid southern states are some of the nicest/friendliest folks you will ever meet. The aquarium is not very large, but they do pack a lot of stuff in there. If you have the chance I highly recommend you visit the Tennessee Valley Railroad museum. Very informative and just an overall great experience.
It was hot, we floated in the lake, had a crazy thunderstorm roll through and just generally had a great relaxing week

Thanks, Kris.

Let me take a look. We are still getting settled and unpacked, but I'll talk to Donna about it.

j

All your pics and trip reports hooked me for next year. If I hadn't been in Europe this year, I would have been there.

I'm booked for site A27 on Thursday June 20, 2024- Sunday June 23.

j

Looks like a lot of fun. Your return dates are likely going to be duirng our CA road trip down the coastal. Right now lookingat june 15th timeframe to travel out.

@tigger92662 Curious do you have the TSD/OpenRoad card? Between that and MudFlap its how I been keeping my diesel costs as low as possible.

Curious do you have the TSD/OpenRoad card? Between that and MudFlap its how I been keeping my diesel costs as low as possible.
James,

I have and use both. TSD is generally the bigger national truck stops. Where I travel it is usually a Loves, TA or Speedway. They have a larger discount, but the starting price is often higher than the places on Mudflap. Mudflap, at least where I travel, is generally the smaller "mom and pop" or franchise places that have truck (semi) pumps. I have found the discount on Mudflap to be less, but the smaller stations start out with a lower per gallon price. The biggest advantage of TSD over Mudflap is with the TSD card, you can start the pump and pay without going inside. There are some exceptions to paying at the pump, but most places I can do it all without going in.

Mudflap requires you to go in and show the confirmation code from the app to start the pump and get the discount. The other factor that concerns some. TSD requires you to provide your SSN and link the account to your bank account (not a credit card). Mudflap is just download the app and create a basic user name/password account. No link to a bank account.

I'll pull up both apps and look for the cheapest place within a range of where I need to stop.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter