Help me pick a resort...

gavsgirl

Mouseketeer
This will be our first trip home as DVC members. What we thought would be an easy decision (staying at our home resort CCV) has now become a huge decision. We pretty much have points for whatever- so that isn’t an issue...

Traveling with my in-laws. While we have stayed at CC (and everyone loved it) my MIL got it in her head she would like to stay at Bay Lake in a 2br. (We have stayed at contemporary many times before just not in dvc) Let me specify my in-laws don’t share a bed and I’m traveling with my husband and 2 boys ages 9 and 12 at time of travel. Perk to bay lake is they have the chair and the pullout and my kids wouldn’t have to share.

While looking for alternate resorts my husband throws out “why not just GF again...” - we stayed here last year on our adult trip sans kids. Not at the villas but a standard room in the main building. Perk to that- there is a full Murphy bed and the pullout and we loved the resort.

But back to my in laws. They’re not as young as they once were. Is the walk from the gf villas to the main bldg for quick serve a haul? I know at bay lake you have to cross the bridge (I think). I guess I’m just asking - what’s the better resort for accommodating all these people? Which resorts have DVC accommodations that aren’t “off the beaten path, so to speak? Feel free to sell me on one I haven’t mentioned tho we are partial to MK and the ease of hopping a monorail (or the boat from CC to contemporary for said monorail.) I’m usually the queen of booking but being dvc now I feel like it’s made my decision harder because I don’t know the accommodations .

Thanks for the input!

*edited to add, our travel is September. We are looking for 2br accommodations. All aforementioned resorts have availability for our time of travel annnnd my booking window starts tomorrow lol no pressure ‍♀️

Last edited:
What dates are you looking at?

For a resort with ease of access to a QS the only option is CC to Roaring Forks, BRV is a close second.

The walk from the GFV to Gasparilla's is about the same from BLT to Contempo, (Lobby/elevator is my starting point, room location can add a good 5-7 minutes).

What dates are you looking at?

For a resort with ease of access to a QS the only option is CC to Roaring Forks, BRV is a close second.

The walk from the GFV to Gasparilla's is about the same from BLT to Contempo, (Lobby/elevator is my starting point, room location can add a good 5-7 minutes).

Our dates are (right now) September 8-14 , secondary September 15-21.

We are ok with a bit of a walk (I mean- it’s Disney, it’s expected lol) but I know my MIl will have comments if it’s a real hike or pain to get to breakfast or if she feels like she’s “out of the way”

I'm going with BLT, your boys will have separate sleep areas and their own bathroom. Lots of nearby dining options, definitively not off the beaten path like AKV.

Go with a "dedicated" two bedroom instead of a lockoff for two real beds in the second bedroom. Theme Park View would allow your in-laws to see the MK fireworks from the balcony.

What would YOU like to do?

I get it. We took my recently widowed MIL on her first trip to WDW last fall and ... let's just say that some things we thought would be an issue, weren't, and vice versa. In our case, perfect became the enemy of good (enough).

That said -
I vote slightly for BLT over VGF, if you don't stay at CCV. There is something to be said for doing your first DVC stay at your home resort.

The walk to Gasparilla's is about the same as the walk from BLT to the main building, where you have Contempo Cafe (QS) and The Wave (TS). The walk to Contemporary is pretty direct and fully covered, however, while the shorter walk to Gasparilla's is out in the open (in case of rain).

Although Gasparilla's is a far better QS than Contempo, The Wave's buffet breakfast is really good, and a really good value with a DVC, AP or TiW discount. There are healthier options and you can really fill up, spending less time and $ on lunch. Also, you can walk to MK, and you have the extra bath. And finally - you save some points staying at BLT over VGF.

What would YOU like to do?

I get it. We took my recently widowed MIL on her first trip to WDW last fall and ... let's just say that some things we thought would be an issue, weren't, and vice versa. In our case, perfect became the enemy of good (enough).

That said -
I vote slightly for BLT over VGF, if you don't stay at CCV. There is something to be said for doing your first DVC stay at your home resort.

The walk to Gasparilla's is about the same as the walk from BLT to the main building, where you have Contempo Cafe (QS) and The Wave (TS). The walk to Contemporary is pretty direct and fully covered, however, while the shorter walk to Gasparilla's is out in the open (in case of rain).

Although Gasparilla's is a far better QS than Contempo, The Wave's buffet breakfast is really good, and a really good value with a DVC, AP or TiW discount. There are healthier options and you can really fill up, spending less time and $ on lunch. Also, you can walk to MK, and you have the extra bath. And finally - you save some points staying at BLT over VGF.

Haha- I guess in most basic terms I’m getting what I want by going. We waited years to afford the ability to own and now we finally can. So where I stay isn’t so much of an issue to me- but I know the burden is on me to keep other travel party participants happy.

We loved the QS food at the GF but not sure if that’s ebough of a selling point for the extra pints. I joked with my husband that if we brought his mom to the GF she would likely never want to stay anywhere else but inside the castle itself lol it’s sometimes a case of what’s perceived to be the “best”. Not to speak ill of her, its just part of her nature lol just trying to keep the masses happy.

but I know the burden is on me to keep other travel party participants happy

Just reading this thread it sounds to me like you are taking way too much responsibility to make them happy. They too share a responsibility to BE happy. If you keep this up, I am afraid your hard work to own will turn into a dread that you can't easily back away from. Show them Youtube videos for each resort you are considering with a map to the areas you will frequent most. Let them weigh in on the decision and have some responsibility themselves. It's easy to ridicule a decision they have no skin in.

We loved the QS food at the GF but not sure if that’s ebough of a selling point for the extra pints. I joked with my husband that if we brought his mom to the GF she would likely never want to stay anywhere else but inside the castle itself lol it’s sometimes a case of what’s perceived to be the “best”. Not to speak ill of her, its just part of her nature lol just trying to keep the masses happy.

LOL. I totally get you. We have more VGF points than BLT, and they were more expensive. We plan on staying at BLT when we bring the parents/inlaws. :) (Have done it once with MIL, and once with my parents.) I think the Wave is a hidden gem, especially for breakfast. And the BLT lake view, from a high floor anywhere, is pretty amazing. As is fireworks from TOTWL. It's right there (you have to go down to 1 and go back up, but it's easy).

Just reading this thread it sounds to me like you are taking way too much responsibility to make them happy. They too share a responsibility to BE happy. If you keep this up, I am afraid your hard work to own will turn into a dread that you can't easily back away from. Show them Youtube videos for each resort you are considering with a map to the areas you will frequent most. Let them weigh in on the decision and have some responsibility themselves. It's easy to ridicule a decision they have no skin in.
I definitely hear you. The only perk is that we have our points set up so that we can go once a year- once as an adult get away for my husband and myself and the alternate year with kids/family. So I only have to deal with this once every other trip (until they decide they don’t want to come anymore lol) . We have taken them every other year and it seems the demands grow each year. (My FIL is a saint, he would stay at the days inn lol ) Now that we own I think she thinks she doesn’t have to pay a portion for room ... that’ll be a fun talk.

I’m just trying to make the right decision. I know I’m never gonna make everyone happy all the time but I do try. I have shown maps, room pics, etc. but to little avail. I hope once we get there none of this will hold much weight but right now it’s “the decision”.

LOL. I totally get you. We have more VGF points than BLT, and they were more expensive. We plan on staying at BLT when we bring the parents/inlaws. :) (Have done it once with MIL, and once with my parents.) I think the Wave is a hidden gem, especially for breakfast. And the BLT lake view, from a high floor anywhere, is pretty amazing. As is fireworks from TOTWL. It's right there (you have to go down to 1 and go back up, but it's easy).
TOTWL, I completely forgot! We never went last year even tho we had the ability. So there’s a BLT selling point. Also - while the QS food at VGF was delicious we will be in Disney for food and wine (which aside from crowd level is why we always go in September lol) so there will be los of eating going down anyway lol

So I only have to deal with this once every other trip (until they decide they don’t want to come anymore lol)

Or until they are not invited anymore... That is way too much money to 'have to deal' with any of it. We came close to an event like that with my niece last year, but I reigned that in quickly. I think that will be a once and done which is unfortunate because I liked having my brother with us.

@kboo I've seen you post this a few times now... I have never been but definitely have it on the list now. I am intrigued. :magnify:

I will say, the first time I went to The Wave, we went for a big group dinner and I was underwhelmed. The food was fine, the service was fine, but it had no view and I had heard lots of people say it was so "great," so I had ... expectations. The next time we went it was for a lunch before the kids' nap, and it was quite good - the food came quickly, it was very good, and only cost a few $ more per person than Contempo, once you took the 20% off from TiW. And the food was SO much better than QS. Then we tried breakfast - there are a few items in the buffet that I would willingly eat over and over again, the 2yo was free, my kids LOVE fresh fruit, and coffee and juice is included in the buffet. Again, it compares very favorably price wise to Contempo, and the food is SO much better! I would eat the hot quinoa and sweet potato pancakes every day if I could.

I haven't gone back for dinner, because I do think there are other restaurants at WDW that have a better theme or view, and/or better food, and/or a more unique overall experience, but it's excellent for breakfast and lunch.

I wouldn't make a special trip there for breakfast, but if staying at BLT or the Contemporary, it is really nice for a sit down but still relatively quick breakfast. SO MUCH better than that raucous character breakfast upstairs... Since OP mentioned breakfast with the ILs, I feel safe saying that OP's MIL will like the breakfast at the Wave, and that it is a selling point to staying at BLT over VGF.

@DduzDis - it's not a huge buffet, and it doesn't have the meaty hot entrees like the character breakfasts, but everything there is higher quality than the character buffets.

@DduzDis - it's not a huge buffet, and it doesn't have the meaty hot entrees like the character breakfasts, but everything there is higher quality than the character buffets.

We usually do just a quick bagel or cereal in the room for breakfast. This could be a good way to mix it up especially on a down day.

I vote for BLT. I honestly think the walk to Contempo or the main eating areas is closer than Gasparilla. We never have made to gasparilla in any of the times we have stayed at VGF

We never have made to gasparilla in any of the times we have stayed at VGF
We go to Gasparilla at least once, but I'll admit that since it's not "on the way" to the monorail, it's a little deterrent. I do like sitting outside, though.

I'm the planner in my family - and so I appreciate your dilemma. With the understanding you probably can't go wrong with either, we've stayed at both and for whatever reason, my younger children (who were about the ages of your sons at the time) vastly preferred BLT over VGF. They've never really said why that is - but I think the activity of the Contemporary was more their style. I would also consider pool preference given the time of year you're going.

Regarding the walk, I recall both properties requiring about the same energy, even if the bridge between BLT and the Contemporary makes the walk to the main building easier. As for food choices, when staying at a monorail resort, I feel like food at all three resorts is accessible.

This will be our first trip home as DVC members. What we thought would be an easy decision (staying at our home resort CCV) has now become a huge decision. We pretty much have points for whatever- so that isn’t an issue...

Traveling with my in-laws. While we have stayed at CC (and everyone loved it) my MIL got it in her head she would like to stay at Bay Lake in a 2br. (We have stayed at contemporary many times before just not in dvc) Let me specify my in-laws don’t share a bed and I’m traveling with my husband and 2 boys ages 9 and 12 at time of travel. Perk to bay lake is they have the chair and the pullout and my kids wouldn’t have to share.

While looking for alternate resorts my husband throws out “why not just GF again...” - we stayed here last year on our adult trip sans kids. Not at the villas but a standard room in the main building. Perk to that- there is a full Murphy bed and the pullout and we loved the resort.

But back to my in laws. They’re not as young as they once were. Is the walk from the gf villas to the main bldg for quick serve a haul? I know at bay lake you have to cross the bridge (I think). I guess I’m just asking - what’s the better resort for accommodating all these people? Which resorts have DVC accommodations that aren’t “off the beaten path, so to speak? Feel free to sell me on one I haven’t mentioned tho we are partial to MK and the ease of hopping a monorail (or the boat from CC to contemporary for said monorail.) I’m usually the queen of booking but being dvc now I feel like it’s made my decision harder because I don’t know the accommodations .

Thanks for the input!

*edited to add, our travel is September. We are looking for 2br accommodations. All aforementioned resorts have availability for our time of travel annnnd my booking window starts tomorrow lol no pressure ‍♀️

Hmmm - distance to QS is probably just a touch closer for BLT but it's not big enough to really be an issue IMO. BLT has the potential to be the closest though just because of the design and proximity to CR. Also, if you are there for lunch the BLT and CR pools have a couple of food options (sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers) and the pool closest to VGF does as well.

I think just based on the fact that you most recently stayed at GF that I'd go with BLT to mix it up. And the monorail is usually going to be closer for BLT than VGF.

I think the 2br at AKV might be a good choice, too. I know it’s not MK easy but some of the best restaurants on property are there, the QS are solid. You can’t beat having animals put your “back door” so the kids would love it. I am literally in the same boat as you right now! It’s our 1st trip “home”(6th time period) and my parents are FINALLY coming. I am having anxiety trying to make sure it all goes well for them(so that they get hooked and want to come again :teeth:). We have the Poly & CCV booked for now as they are both home resorts but AKV is calling me:p Trying to factor it what 6 other people *might* like the most is HARD so I feel ya :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter