I’m really sorry 😕
It's all good. We knew the risks coming here and we mentally prepared ourselves for this scenario. We are glad we at least got to do everything we wanted to. In-laws are are still okay. I'm starting to feel a bit off so my guess is that all three of us have it even though my husband and I both tested negative. We have a few days at Disney to just hunker down and recover while we figure out how we will get home.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. The trip has been fantastic but we ran into some trouble. BIL just tested positive for COVID. Husband tested negative but also feels sick. And the quarantining begins. Stay safe out there y'all.
I’m so sorry this happened!!

Well, it was fun while it lasted. The trip has been fantastic but we ran into some trouble. BIL just tested positive for COVID. Husband tested negative but also feels sick. And the quarantining begins. Stay safe out there y'all.
Bummer! So sorry. Hope everyone feels better soon.

Hope you all feel better soon! Sounds like you had an amazing trip up until this point.

Oh no! Even when knowing the risks, it really sucks when that happens! I hope none of you are too sick and you can still have some good times while quarantining. Your reports and posts have been really helpful.

December 30th was our first day at MK with G+.

Our plan was to be there for early entry and leave after the first Christmas parade around noon for a break at our resort and then go back after dinner until closing time at 1am.

How did it go?

Early entry was so worthwhile! We arrived at security a few minutes before 8am (8:30am early entry) by bus and were waiting in the middle of the bridge to Tomorrowland at 8:07am. My kids an DH quickly went to Space Mountain when allowed at 8:30am-ish (might have been a few minutes early). They were out by 8:45am and so we did Buzz with no wait. Out of Buzz at 9am and decided to head over to my favourite attraction at WDW, BTMR!

The park was officially opened when we entered Frontierland around 9:10am and the line to enter BTMR looked really long but we was quickly moving so we were taking a Photopass picture at the exit at 9:35am. We then decided to do Splash with a 20 min wait.

What about G+?? I made a bad decision at 7am and booked Jingle Cruise at 11:10am. After Splash, I decided to modify it to Pirates at 10:50am. After Splash, we had a good half hour before Pirates so we did Aladdin’s Magic Carpets. Then it was time for Pirates. After our ride, I booked a reserved seating for the parade and got snacks while slowly walking toward the reserved viewing spot in front of the castle. We had front seats and were happy we used a G+ selection for it. I then booked a Jingle Cruise ILL for 8:30pm. Since we were taking a break, I then booked G+ selections every two hours (1:30pm, 3:30pm and 5:30pm).

We came back to MK just in time for the 6:30pm fireworks. We watched them from Main St, in front of Starbucks. We then headed to Fantasyland.

Rides from 6:45pm to 1am:
Barnstormer
Dumbo
Tea cups
Speedway (G+)
Space (G+)
It’s a small world
Jingle Cruise (G+)
Splash (G+)
BTMR 2x (closed for awhile and was less than 2 min when it re-opened)
7DMT (35 min wait during the 11:50pm fireworks)
Pooh
Peter Pan

What was my mistake with G+? I should have booked any mountain in the am (before 11am) when I realized JC was after 11am to maximize my G+ selections in the morning. Maybe that way I would have done HM. Also, JC is great in the evening!

I also got a G+ for Barnstormer and Buzz for repeat rides but cancelled them to ride BTMR 2x and head over to 7DMT. Walking in Fantasyland during the fireworks was such an experience!!!

In conclusion, we were very happy with our day at MK. If I had known we would do so much, I would have booked a second Hollywood Studio day for Jan 3rd instead of MK (we have base tickets).

December 30th was our first day at MK with G+.

Our plan was to be there for early entry and leave after the first Christmas parade around noon for a break at our resort and then go back after dinner until closing time at 1am.

How did it go?

Early entry was so worthwhile! We arrived at security a few minutes before 8am (8:30am early entry) by bus and were waiting in the middle of the bridge to Tomorrowland at 8:07am. My kids an DH quickly went to Space Mountain when allowed at 8:30am-ish (might have been a few minutes early). They were out by 8:45am and so we did Buzz with no wait. Out of Buzz at 9am and decided to head over to my favourite attraction at WDW, BTMR!

The park was officially opened when we entered Frontierland around 9:10am and the line to enter BTMR looked really long but we was quickly moving so we were taking a Photopass picture at the exit at 9:35am. We then decided to do Splash with a 20 min wait.

What about G+?? I made a bad decision at 7am and booked Jingle Cruise at 11:10am. After Splash, I decided to modify it to Pirates at 10:50am. After Splash, we had a good half hour before Pirates so we did Aladdin’s Magic Carpets. Then it was time for Pirates. After our ride, I booked a reserved seating for the parade and got snacks while slowly walking toward the reserved viewing spot in front of the castle. We had front seats and were happy we used a G+ selection for it. I then booked a Jingle Cruise ILL for 8:30pm. Since we were taking a break, I then booked G+ selections every two hours (1:30pm, 3:30pm and 5:30pm).

We came back to MK just in time for the 6:30pm fireworks. We watched them from Main St, in front of Starbucks. We then headed to Fantasyland.

Rides from 6:45pm to 1am:
Barnstormer
Dumbo
Tea cups
Speedway (G+)
Space (G+)
It’s a small world
Jingle Cruise (G+)
Splash (G+)
BTMR 2x (closed for awhile and was less than 2 min when it re-opened)
7DMT (35 min wait during the 11:50pm fireworks)
Pooh
Peter Pan

What was my mistake with G+? I should have booked any mountain in the am (before 11am) when I realized JC was after 11am to maximize my G+ selections in the morning. Maybe that way I would have done HM. Also, JC is great in the evening!

I also got a G+ for Barnstormer and Buzz for repeat rides but cancelled them to ride BTMR 2x and head over to 7DMT. Walking in Fantasyland during the fireworks was such an experience!!!

In conclusion, we were very happy with our day at MK. If I had known we would do so much, I would have booked a second Hollywood Studio day for Jan 3rd instead of MK (we have base tickets).
Thank you for this detailed report. I am planing on using the stacking method for G+ on our MK and DHS days. When you took the midday break, were you able to nap/rest? I do believe rope drop is the best way to accomplish the most items on a plan, but we are also eligible for extended evening hours, which will put MK at a 1am close for us. Trying to figure out how we will power through. Cokes and Mickey Head ice creams will only carry us so far!😂

Thank you for this detailed report. I am planing on using the stacking method for G+ on our MK and DHS days. When you took the midday break, were you able to nap/rest? I do believe rope drop is the best way to accomplish the most items on a plan, but we are also eligible for extended evening hours, which will put MK at a 1am close for us. Trying to figure out how we will power through. Cokes and Mickey Head ice creams will only carry us so far!😂
We were back at POFQ around 1pm (had a bus to ourselves!!). While DH went to the pool with DD10, DD13 watched Harry Potter and I napped from 2-5. I only woke up to book another G+ at 3:30pm and went right back to sleep. I don’t think I could have survived until 1am without it!

Last edited:
Arrived at Disney Springs at noon today. Trees from the Christmas Tree Stroll are still up. Gideon’s was a 4 hour virtual queue. We put out name in, did our Disney Springs shopping, and took a bus to Grand Floridian.

Grand Floridian Gingerbread House was selling everything for buy one get one free. Picked up two things and got another two (of those same items) for free.

We left GF when we got called back for Gideon’s, which was less than 3 hours from when we put our name in.

By the time we left Disney Springs around 4pm, Orange garage was full, surface parking was full, and 4 of 5 floors in Lime were full.

It’s after 5pm and our room at All Star Sports is not ready.

I know reservations for all four parks are sold out for tomorrow and Tuesday. We’ll see how the crowds go!

Departure day! Some final thoughts as this trip comes to an end.

Health Update: husband and I still testing negative, both of us feel totally normal. BIL is still sick so we moved to our in-laws room to allow him to quarantine.

Crowds were much less than this time before the pandemic. There were times when G+ was absolutely necessary and other times when it wasn't needed at all. Early mornings and late nights meant lower crowds. I'm so glad we had 7 park days with hopper to ensure we could do everything at least once and still leave plenty of time to rest and relax at the resort.

Best meal was Flying Fish. Would go back again in a heartbeat. Weather started chilly but ended up being beautiful for most of the vacation. It was our most expensive vacation to date, but we usually go just the two of us.

My family and I are finally home from our Christmas + NYE trip and wanted to share some quick thoughts.

Yes, it was VERY crowded and we probably won't ever go back during this time. It was manageable with Genie+/ILL and Express pass but the crowds are too much for us. It wasn't as crowded as this time pre pandemic but we would rather go back during a time when kids are in school. The Christmas decorations were beautiful, however.

Beach Club and AKL were wonderful resorts. I didn't have any issues with either resort. Bus service at AKL seemed to be way better than it was in May. We also learned that we're definitely not split stay people. It was really annoying to have to pack up and move in the middle of the trip. I was really expecting the worst with the Beach Club rooms since I've read reports of them looking old/dated but I thought they were fine. The HHI room we stayed in this summer looked WAY worse.

The best meals were Cowfish at Universal, Jaleo and Cityworks (which I think is very underrated. It was so good we went twice!) Kona Cafe was a surprise hit for all of us. We all thought it was mediocre before the refurb but the food is way better now. Worst meal was Cape May Cafe breakfast. Absolutely not worth the money.

Every CM we interacted with was super friendly and helpful. Same with the team members at Universal. We did witness some awful guest behavior but it didn't ruin our trip.

I see a lot of people complain about cleanliness in the parks and although I didn't see any trash on the ground, overflowing bins or gross bathrooms, I did notice that a lot of the rides have a "grimy" look to them. Some examples being Buzz, the Peoplemover, Spaceship Earth, some of the theaters and the Monorail (not a ride but it did look kinda gross). I also rode Splash for the last time and it's a shame that it's in such a bad state right now. I understand it's closing this month but so many of the animatronics did not work.

Overall, we had a wonderful time and enjoyed seeing WDW + Universal during the holiday season.

Departure day! Some final thoughts as this trip comes to an end.

Health Update: husband and I still testing negative, both of us feel totally normal. BIL is still sick so we moved to our in-laws room to allow him to quarantine.

Crowds were much less than this time before the pandemic. There were times when G+ was absolutely necessary and other times when it wasn't needed at all. Early mornings and late nights meant lower crowds. I'm so glad we had 7 park days with hopper to ensure we could do everything at least once and still leave plenty of time to rest and relax at the resort.

Best meal was Flying Fish. Would go back again in a heartbeat. Weather started chilly but ended up being beautiful for most of the vacation. It was our most expensive vacation to date, but we usually go just the two of us.
Hope all is well. We just got back from a YC CL trip and it was the most expensive trip also. Resort was beautiful and concierge were great. Parks not so much with the crowds, ride waits even with Genie plus. Fun anyway.

I would absolutely go back to MK on NYE again, we had a blast! Our trip was delayed a few days due to the Southwest debacle, but once we got there, we enjoyed AKL Club level for one night, and loved the Winter Course mini-Golf with the christmas theme. We also went to Kennedy Space Center, I can't believe we never did that before, our kids are 9 & 12 and I would consider that the perfect age to be engaged in it.

Then we checked into the Poly and watched the Dec 30th fireworks from the beach, and took advantage of early entry at MK on NYE... this went much better than expected... rope drop was about 10 min early (about 8:20 for the 8:30 early entry and Buzz was running as soon as we got there (8:22?). There was no wait for our first 5 rides, in order: Buzz, Pooh, Space, Little Mermaid, Barnstormer (we lucked into getting on Space as soon as it came back from downtime). Then we used some G+ and watched the Christmas parade at noon, headed back to the Poly for a wonderful lunch at Kona, and rested in our room a few hours. The party atmosphere at MK was so fun in the evening (we returned about 5pm). Checked in for the 6:30 dessert party (which I highly recommend, we never did it before, and I loved just chilling out on the lawn waiting for the fireworks in a relaxed crowd-free setting). The desserts were just ok, but the 3 POGmosas put the party over the top! Then we did many more rides for the evening, many were the ones that don't get super long waits (peoplemover, carosel of progress, regular carosel, philharmagic), and we watched the 9pm Holiday castle show. We also did a conga line at the Tomorrowland dance party around 10pm, then headed back to the Poly to watch the 11:50 fireworks there and ring in the new year from the beach.

There were tons of cast members who were helpful and were always around when you had a question. The place was very clean. Bathrooms were very clean too.

It was a great day! Happy new year!

I’m wiped! Today was my day to go crazy and now I need to take it easy to prepare for Dopey. With Genie+ and lots of refreshing and watching for LL drops I did the following in order, I went for a run instead of rope dropping early entry:

Soarin’ - did not use LL, walked on at 8:56
Test Track - LL
Frozen - LL
Guardians - VQ, about 50 min from scanning in to being on ride, I scanned in after my return window no problem
Remy - LL
RnRC - LL
ToT - LL
BTMR - LL
Splash - LL
Guardians - VQ from 6pm drop, about 60 min wait, again I scanned after my return window no issues, queue was literally outside, evening hours were over when I got off

Almost 29k steps! I did lots of breaks off my feet, getting snacks or QS or just sitting in shade refreshing. I did stop back at my hotel late afternoon between HS and MK. I had lots of opportunities for LLs like TSM, SDD, MMRR, pretty much any ride in MK, but didn’t want to criss cross the parks more than I did. I prioritized headliners and skipped smaller rides as I’ll hit them another day. Being able to modify is a game changer. Genie+ is very easy to use once you know what you’re doing but there’s definitely a learning curve.

Lines were very long today but I must say the parks do not feel that crowded. Probably because most people are in line lol. I have never experienced QS food lines like this though, at Epcot especially they were crazy long. Downside of no festivals I suppose. They need more mobile order QS like MK.

Yesterday (Monday 1/2) recap. HS in morning, hopped to MK. Our first day in the parks. Purchased Genie+.

Drove to HS, turned away from toll booth at 6:30 am and 6:40 am (8 am early entry). At 6:55 am, cars were being held at toll booth and about 25 deep. Allowed to park at 7am.

Once we got to turnstiles just after 7am, about every line was already 25 people deep (non-car arrivals).

New Magicband+ would not work to tap in. Cast member was insistent that she wouldn’t let me into the park and was directing me straight to customer service. I pulled up the ticket on MDE, but she wouldn’t take it. While she was on her iPad, I quickly signed into MDE, went to the Magicband screen, let it load, showed her it was paired, and asked to tap in again (she had told me to stop trying). It finally worked, and we got in.

Turnstiles opened at 7:30am and we were not held at any point after that. Rise was down.

MFSR (early entry)
Alien Saucers (early entry)
Rise
TS Mania (LL)
Beauty and Beast show
MuppetVision 3D
(Got into Indiana Jones show, but they miscalculated and it was standing room only, so we left)
Frozen Sing-a-long show
Left around 2pm

Entered MK by bus around 3:30 pm (no lines)

Watched Fantasy parade at entrance
Tiki Room
Jingle Cruise (LL)
Pirates (LL)
Peter Pan/Philharmagic down
Small World (LL) (tried to tap in 8 minutes early—3 minutes before 5 minute grace period—they bypassed it and let us in)
Peter Pan (LL) (about 1-2 minutes before 5 minute grace period, also let us in)
Laugh floor
Carousel of progress
Enchantment

Our goals for this day were Rise, MFSR, TS Mania, and Enchantment. So it was a success for us. Despite all four parks being sold out, crowds only seemed in full force at Enchantment (and all three shows at HS hit capacity each time).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter