HHI Adoration & Information 2009

What is the unbirthday party? I did a search and couldn't find much about it. Thank you!

Here's what it says on the Recreation Activities Calendar:

Unbirthday Party - Celebrate the 364 days of the year that aren't your birthday with party games and cupcakes! Ages 5-10
Meet in Community Hall

It lasted 1hr and registration was required. Registration begins the day before the program.

We have been to Hilton Head for New Years and had a great time! We didn't actually get into the Disney Resort but ended up renting a condo near the beach and really enjoyed it. I don't know if we got lucky but the weather was great, mid to upper 60's and sunny. The kids actually built a "snowman" out of sand on the beach :) The kids stayed with my parents on New Year's Eve and we went to a celebration at the Salty Dog and would highly recommend. Great food and atmosphere for New Years. I'm not sure what boat tours are running in December but we stayed at the Disney Resort this summer and went on Island Time Charters because of all the positive comments on here and had the best experience of our vacation! I hope that some of this information helps and feel free to ask anymore questions on restaurants we ate at, etc. I will certainly do my best!

So it looks like we may be going the week after Christmas....I know! Not on points but maybe cash if we can get in. Is that even possible at this point?

Anyways - I'm exploring options! Are there other resorts (imagine!) that you'd recommend we take a look at in case DHHIR is as booked as I suspect?

What can we expect as far as activities on the island in December? Boat tours?

We're not expecting beach weather - I'm sure my boys will still use a heated pool though, and I will definitely be found in a hot tub! Will it be fairly dry weather? Can we plan on using bikes?

Any special stuff going on for Christmas and New Years?

Tell me anything and everything - this is a first trip for us!

Hello, all, this is my first post on the DISboards!

I'm writing with a question about HHI in the off season. I took advantage of the great Disney Visa rates to book several days for the first week of November. :woohoo: It'll be me, my 7yo DD, my sister, and my mom. I think HHI sounds perfect for me. Mom and Sis will also have a great time; they both enjoy just hanging out with a glass of wine and a good book.

However, my DD is pretty active and a real social butterfly. Her idea of a great vacation is meeting a new "BFF" who she can run around with the whole time. I'm a little worried that she'll find enough to do and other kids to hang with in early November. (FYI, school is out for most of that week where we live.)

Can anyone who's been to HHI in the off season, esp. with kids, advise? Does Disney still run most of the normal activities? In particular, DD's been wanting to go kayaking, and likes anything to do with animals.

Thanks very much!

--Mayayn
2001 Dolphin; 2002 BC; 2006 GF; May 2009 POFQ; Nov 2009 HHI

We have been to Hilton Head in the off season and really enjoyed our stay more than the summer visits. Everything is less crowded and the weather is perfect. We went on a dolphin cruise on Island Time Charters (IslandTimeChartersHHI.com) and my kids loved it! If you have an animal lover like I do, it absolutely melted her to see the dolphins come right next to the boat, she is still talking about it and Captain Megan is great with kids/families! Hope this helps ;)

Here's what it says on the Recreation Activities Calendar:

Unbirthday Party - Celebrate the 364 days of the year that aren't your birthday with party games and cupcakes! Ages 5-10
Meet in Community Hall

It lasted 1hr and registration was required. Registration begins the day before the program.

Thanks. My boys will be 10, 8, 5.5 and 3.5...so we probably won't do it if our 3.5 yr old will be left out. Oh well.

Thanks. My boys will be 10, 8, 5.5 and 3.5...so we probably won't do it if our 3.5 yr old will be left out. Oh well.

You can always ask, it will probably depend on how booked it is and what the general ages of those attending will be. To be honest my DD was actually 11 when she went and they had no problem with her being older. If you're going at a slower time they might extend to other ages.

You can always ask, it will probably depend on how booked it is and what the general ages of those attending will be. To be honest my DD was actually 11 when she went and they had no problem with her being older. If you're going at a slower time they might extend to other ages.

Thanks, yeah we may give it a shot. We'll be there early November.

Hey, do you happen to know if they only do this certain days and if so, when? We'll be there 3 nights, arrive Thursday night and depart Sunday afternoon.

Thanks, yeah we may give it a shot. We'll be there early November.

Hey, do you happen to know if they only do this certain days and if so, when? We'll be there 3 nights, arrive Thursday night and depart Sunday afternoon.

I don't know that it follows a set schedule. We were there the last week of March 08 and it was a Monday that week. There was no unbirthday party the week prior and the week before that it was on a Thursday.

You can call them early in the week you'll be there and have them fax you a copy of the current Activity sheet, that is what we did.

Oh yeah, by arriving on Sunday, you're very likely to see B'lou Crabbe and Shadow.
When we were there in 08 we met B'lou Crabbe and Shadow. Shadow is a very pretty and well behaved dog. B'lou Crabbe is quite a story teller. We attended several events that he was the moderator of. We were very impressed with him. He spent alot of times with our two youngest kid's. He even gave my daughter a deck of his trick cards and taught her several card tricks. She talked about that experience for months.

We have been to Hilton Head in the off season and really enjoyed our stay more than the summer visits. Everything is less crowded and the weather is perfect. We went on a dolphin cruise on Island Time Charters (IslandTimeChartersHHI.com) and my kids loved it! If you have an animal lover like I do, it absolutely melted her to see the dolphins come right next to the boat, she is still talking about it and Captain Megan is great with kids/families! Hope this helps ;)

Great to hear! I'll definitely put the dolphin cruise on our "to do" list. Can you schedule it directly through the resort, or is it separate? Thanks!

I will be visiting HHI on Thanksgiving this year. We usually cook at the resort but we will be in a studio so that is not going to work. Anyway, can anyone reccommend a restaurant that will serve a traditional Thanksgiving dinner? Thanks!:flower3:

I will be visiting HHI on Thanksgiving this year. We usually cook at the resort but we will be in a studio so that is not going to work. Anyway, can anyone reccommend a restaurant that will serve a traditional Thanksgiving dinner? Thanks!:flower3:

popcorn::

Thanksgiving at HHI-know it well. We'll see ya there-our 4th Thanksgiving there. I can't remember what resturaunts serve Thanksgiving dinner, but check the Island Packet newspaper(they have it on-line, too). Also, I know several places that offer nice, pre-cooked Thanksgiving dinner so you can eat in your villa right in front of the Football game. The least expensive is Piggly Wiggly, but when we did it, they didn't include dessert. So be prepared to pick up a pie, still making it the cheapest option. The resort itself has a precooked dinner that they'll deliver right to your villa for you. On Thanksgiving morning they deep fry the turkeys outdoors, so be prepared for the delicious smell. You should get a form from them about it about a month beforehand. Our favorite option is from Signe's. It's called the Lovebird, described on her website. Although it's a meal for two, the clerk there told me that families often order multiple lovebirds for a big dinner. You get pies included there, your choice of flavors, yummy! And her cranberry sauce ain't too shabby either! Between the pies and cranberry sauce, we wouldn't miss it. Then be aware that there's a big flag football game on the beach on Thanksgiving afternoon.

I just remembered that the Salty Dog in Sea Pines offers a precooked Thanksgiving dinner too. Perhaps they have a dinner at their resturaunt.

Thanksgiving at HHI-know it well. We'll see ya there-our 4th Thanksgiving there. I can't remember what resturaunts serve Thanksgiving dinner, but check the Island Packet newspaper(they have it on-line, too). Also, I know several places that offer nice, pre-cooked Thanksgiving dinner so you can eat in your villa right in front of the Football game. The least expensive is Piggly Wiggly, but when we did it, they didn't include dessert. So be prepared to pick up a pie, still making it the cheapest option. The resort itself has a precooked dinner that they'll deliver right to your villa for you. On Thanksgiving morning they deep fry the turkeys outdoors, so be prepared for the delicious smell. You should get a form from them about it about a month beforehand. Our favorite option is from Signe's. It's called the Lovebird, described on her website. Although it's a meal for two, the clerk there told me that families often order multiple lovebirds for a big dinner. You get pies included there, your choice of flavors, yummy! And her cranberry sauce ain't too shabby either! Between the pies and cranberry sauce, we wouldn't miss it. Then be aware that there's a big flag football game on the beach on Thanksgiving afternoon.

I just remembered that the Salty Dog in Sea Pines offers a precooked Thanksgiving dinner too. Perhaps they have a dinner at their resturaunt.

Thanks! I would rather have the take out option since I have a squirmy 3yo. I really appreciate you taking time to share. :)

I am booked for a studio stay at HHI for February. I wonder if anyone can tell me what the kitchenette includes..I know the coffee pot/mini fridge etc. But, are there any coffee cups, plates,utensils and that type of stuff? Thanks for any useful information about studios!

These restaurants were open last Thanksgiving (not sure which ones serve traditional meals but maybe you could call ) :

Antonio's - The Village at Wexford - 843-842-5505
Boathouse II - Squire Pope Road - 843-681-3663
Charley's Crab - Squire Pope Road - 843-342-9066
CQ's Restaurant - Harbour Town - 843-671-2779
Harbour Town Grill - Harbour Town - 843-363-8380
Julep's - Greenwood Drive - 843-842-5857
Ocean Grille - Shelter Cove Harbour - 843-785-3030
Old Fort Pub - Hilton Head Plantation - 843-681-2386
Red Fish - Palmetto Bay Road - 843-686-3388
Skillet's Café - Coligny Plaza - 843-785-3131
Topside at the Quarterdeck - Harbour Town - 843-842-1999

Maria

I am booked for a studio stay at HHI for February. I wonder if anyone can tell me what the kitchenette includes..I know the coffee pot/mini fridge etc. But, are there any coffee cups, plates,utensils and that type of stuff? Thanks for any useful information about studios!

They had paper plates/cups/plastic utensils....and coffee mugs from what I recall.

Maria

Looks like we'll be at HHI for New Years! (just waiting on a couple of nights on the waitlist) Any recommendations for somewhere to eat and something to do New Year's Eve. We have 2 boys - very well behaved in restaurants - so something nice would be nice!

We're planning to eat at the "Casa de Conan" Studio in the resort. Maybe bring some charcoal or something. I do hope to get a 'Joyceburger' at the Grill whilst there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter