*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

We are here this week too and really enjoying our stay! Have been lucky with no jellyfish on our beach days too 😀. But a note on the hours shown on the back of the activity guide for Tide Me Over - really they are 11-5. There is a breakfast buffet in the community hall from 8-10 for I think $12/person. But Tide Me Over itself isn’t open, which would be nice to just pick up some items without having to go all in for a breakfast buffet. One minor disappointment about the resort is the short hours for food options. Sometimes you want to just stay out by the pool later in the evening and be able to grab something right there for dinner, but both Tide Me Over and the beach house restaurant close at 5. The store here is also quite small so grab and go from there isn’t really an option either.
We just checked out today and are driving home. Hope there's no more jellyfish! There were a ton thursday morning. Definitely agree about the short hours for food. It was like that before Covid and I at least wish Tide Me Over would be open until maybe 7 or 8. Every time I went to the pool around that time it was packed so it's not like it's dead at those hours. We didn't do the buffet and we made food in our room for breakfast and some dinners. The Kroger near the resort was so packed on the weekends that we swore we were at WDW LOL. We went back on a weekday afternoon and the store was super quiet so I would say try to avoid weekends if you can.

Also I do hope the room refurbs happen soon. Our room wasn't awful but you can tell it seriously needs some work. Very old/worn out furniture, cabinets didn't close properly and the door to the balcony had to be forcefully closed due to it not closing properly. Housekeeping came to take out the trash/recycling every day and gave us more towels on day 3 or 4 (don't remember). Our beds were not made the entire time we were there. Overall we love HHI (my mom has been an owner for over 10 years) and we love coming here : )

If you want to see alligators, go to Jarvis Park. It's right of William Hilton Parkway not far past the bridge to the island, if I remember correctly. Theres a small lake there that has many. Theres a path that walks around the lake. Thanks to Mike the Pool Guy for sending us there years ago.

We saw 2 alligators when biking to Coligny beach. Once you turn left to head to the beach area there are 2 wood deck sections over small marshes. Each marsh had 1 alligator that we could see. Hilton head ice cream is at the corner where you turn to go to the beach. The ice cream cone and 2 others are in the the plaza at coligny beach. The closest is kilwins in in shelter cove town center.
I've also seen gators at bridge, both on the outer side and just inside in the marina. Moreover, I've seen them in the water back behind the Live Oak Lodge.
We just checked out today and are driving home. Hope there's no more jellyfish! There were a ton thursday morning. Definitely agree about the short hours for food. It was like that before Covid and I at least wish Tide Me Over would be open until maybe 7 or 8. Every time I went to the pool around that time it was packed so it's not like it's dead at those hours. We didn't do the buffet and we made food in our room for breakfast and some dinners. The Kroger near the resort was so packed on the weekends that we swore we were at WDW LOL. We went back on a weekday afternoon and the store was super quiet so I would say try to avoid weekends if you can.

Also I do hope the room refurbs happen soon. Our room wasn't awful but you can tell it seriously needs some work. Very old/worn out furniture, cabinets didn't close properly and the door to the balcony had to be forcefully closed due to it not closing properly. Housekeeping came to take out the trash/recycling every day and gave us more towels on day 3 or 4 (don't remember). Our beds were not made the entire time we were there. Overall we love HHI (my mom has been an owner for over 10 years) and we love coming here : )
TMO will likely never open beyond their typical 8-5 hours except with possibly rare exceptions. It has less to do with the crowds at the resort than it does the cost of staffing and labor. Same with Surfman's Sand Bar at the Beach House.

As for the refurbishment, that is definitely a wait-and-see. They started with two rooms in Bldg 30 late last fall (3012 & 3014, a 1BR and studio, respectively) which were finished a few months later except for some minor design touches. Some have mentioned new items in their rooms, such as a new couch or pots and pans, but those aren't associated with the refurb. About 30 couches were ordered to replace the worst ones around the resort, and new pots and pans have more to do with replacing scratched or damaged ones as a matter of routine inspections. When the refurb does start, it will be easy to see with a whole building or block of buildings taken out of inventory. While some CMs have reportedly said the refurb will start sooner rather than later, my money is still on fall of '23. pirate:

We saw 2 alligators when biking to Coligny beach. Once you turn left to head to the beach area there are 2 wood deck sections over small marshes. Each marsh had 1 alligator that we could see. Hilton head ice cream is at the corner where you turn to go to the beach. The ice cream cone and 2 others are in the the plaza at coligny beach. The closest is kilwins in in shelter cove town center.
Thanks for answering, and that’s exactly where I thought they would be.

I've also seen gators at bridge, both on the outer side and just inside in the marina. Moreover, I've seen them in the water back behind the Live Oak Lodge.

TMO will likely never open beyond their typical 8-5 hours except with possibly rare exceptions. It has less to do with the crowds at the resort than it does the cost of staffing and labor. Same with Surfman's Sand Bar at the Beach House.

As for the refurbishment, that is definitely a wait-and-see. They started with two rooms in Bldg 30 late last fall (3012 & 3014, a 1BR and studio, respectively) which were finished a few months later except for some minor design touches. Some have mentioned new items in their rooms, such as a new couch or pots and pans, but those aren't associated with the refurb. About 30 couches were ordered to replace the worst ones around the resort, and new pots and pans have more to do with replacing scratched or damaged ones as a matter of routine inspections. When the refurb does start, it will be easy to see with a whole building or block of buildings taken out of inventory. While some CMs have reportedly said the refurb will start sooner rather than later, my money is still on fall of '23. pirate:
Yeah I get that. The shorter hours didn't bother us too much since we brought food to the pool/beach every day but it would be nice to have later hours in general.

Funny you mention the couches being new. We did actually notice that the couch in our room looking nicer than everything else in the room. The pots and pans were fine as well. What was in rough shape were the doors, cabinets and the table + chairs.

We saw 2 alligators when biking to Coligny beach.
On the Disney Resort's facebook page today, someone showed a picture of an alligator floating around in the waters of Broad Creek right in back of the main building. I remember there's a sign back there about the possibility of alligators and snakes. I've never seen a snake back there, but now I know they're not kidding about the alligators.

I have heard/read that when Disney built DHHIR, there was an agreement made that DHHIR could not have a table service restaurant and not be open for dinner. I heard the local restaurants threw a fit and threatened a lawsuit, plus Disney had enough issues trying to build DHHIR after the initial lawsuit.

The Kroger near the resort was so packed on the weekends that we swore we were at WDW LOL. We went back on a weekday afternoon and the store was super quiet so I would say try to avoid weekends if you can.

Our beds were not made the entire time we were there.
Exactly right about the Kroger in Shelter Cove. This is why we do a Walmart pickup in Bluffton before arriving on the island.

Just an FYI—With DVC, we have to make our own beds since we don’t get daily housekeeping.

I have heard/read that when Disney built DHHIR, there was an agreement made that DHHIR could not have a table service restaurant and not be open for dinner. I heard the local restaurants threw a fit and threatened a lawsuit, plus Disney had enough issues trying to build DHHIR after the initial lawsuit.
Very good point. While I can't absolutely verify this is true, the long-standing, oft-repeated mantra is that Disney did agree to such. Given that VB does have an onsite restaurant (and with no competition within 15-20 minutes driving), the credence to HHI not having one due to local objections rises. However, on the flip side, TMO isn't truly a restaurant, just a QS, and I feel quite certain no one would object to them being open until the pool closes, or at least an hour before the pool closes. They won't do that because that would be more money for labor which is the same reason they don't open before 8, either, although most days, the resort is beginning to bustle with walkers, fitness roomers, photographers, and simply those who prefer getting up early. pirate:

Funny you mention the couches being new. We did actually notice that the couch in our room looking nicer than everything else in the room. The pots and pans were fine as well. What was in rough shape were the doors, cabinets and the table + chairs.
Yep! While all of the couches were serviceable, over the years, they simply wore down. Delaying the refurb twice (and now in all likelihood, thrice) certainly means the condition of the couches, tables, chairs, et.al. all suffered. Chances are high that the units will not get upgraded appliances, but pretty much all else will be new. And, those new couches should not suffer the same issues as the old ones. ;)

Thanks for the jellyfish advice! My girls (15 and 21) are determined to swim, but I may be more of a watcher if there's any hint of jellyfish :-)

We just got back from a week at DHHIR and the resort was lovely, but the jellyfish did put a damper on our stay. When we go to Vero, we play in the ocean almost all day, it is wonderful! At Hilton Head, 5 out of the 7 of us got stung. While not painful, it really stopped me from going in the water and enjoying the ocean. We did like the beach and when we wanted to cool off, we went up to the pool. We did notice that at high tide no one was getting stung, but low tide was when all of us got it. We were also told to rub wet sand over the sting to help remove any stingers and generally after 20 mins the mild burning subsided.

We just got back and our couch was new, but the sleeping chair was not. Our pots and pans were ok, but we only had one 8 in pan which made cooking hard and our big pot was not flat on the bottom. What was odd was the kitchen counter did not match the counter on the "island" if you can call it that. The other furniture looked fine and the beds were comfy. Overall it was ok, but you can tell a refurb is needed.

We just got back and our couch was new, but the sleeping chair was not. Our pots and pans were ok, but we only had one 8 in pan which made cooking hard and our big pot was not flat on the bottom. What was odd was the kitchen counter did not match the counter on the "island" if you can call it that. The other furniture looked fine and the beds were comfy. Overall it was ok, but you can tell a refurb is needed.
Sounds about right. lol I don't think they bought any new sleeper chairs, though I could be wrong. For future visits, if you need an extra pan, pot, coffee, soap, TP, or whatever item you might need, just call the front desk, and they'll gladly get the requested item to you, usually within 15-20 minutes.

Yep! While all of the couches were serviceable, over the years, they simply wore down. Delaying the refurb twice (and now in all likelihood, thrice) certainly means the condition of the couches, tables, chairs, et.al. all suffered. Chances are high that the units will not get upgraded appliances, but pretty much all else will be new. And, those new couches should not suffer the same issues as the old ones. ;)
I can not believe they are postponing the refurb! The conditions of these rooms are on par with BRV. Just unexceptable. :(

Last edited:
I can not believe they are postponing the refurb! The conditions of these rooms are on par with BRV. Just unexceptionable :(
There is always a chance they'll move the refurbishment up, and I surely wish they would. However, my gut feeling is that it won't be for another year. Among other factors, why buy 30 new couches if the refurb was going start this fall? Certainly, folks should know within a month or two which reality it is.

There is always a chance they'll move the refurbishment up, and I surely wish they would. However, my gut feeling is that it won't be for another year. Among other factors, why buy 30 new couches if the refurb was going start this fall? Certainly, folks should know within a month or two which reality it is.
Watching the VWL/BRV refurb page gives me a sliver of hope for DHHIR haha

Just wanted to say thank you to all the post visit posters on this page.

Native South Carolinian, long time DVC owner, going for our first HHI trip in two weeks. Your help has been greatly appreciated!

And one of our contracts is at BRV's so completely understand the room frustration.

Watching the VWL/BRV refurb page gives me a sliver of hope for DHHIR haha
Here's your sliver -----> -
pirate:

Native South Carolinian, long time DVC owner, going for our first HHI trip in two weeks. Your help has been greatly appreciated!

And one of our contracts is at BRV's so completely understand the room frustration.
Enjoy! It truly is (or used to be) a hidden gem. Since the pandemic, the secret has gotten out a bit.

We will be back as well in 2 weeks and cannot wait!!!!

I too hope the refurb happens soon!

Hi all! We check in in 10 days and I have a couple of questions. I see a lot of people recommend SERG take out. I'm going to place a pickup order for our arrival day. What did you order that you loved? Do all of the quick services as well as the window that serves snow cones and drinks at the beach house(I don't know what it's called) close at 5? Finally, we are in a 1 bedroom. I like to have a nice view from the balcony for coffee/wine time, but we also like to be close to the pool. Is there a room request that would accomplish this or do I need to choose one or the other? Thank you in advance for any replies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter