*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Hi everyone! We are rolling around the idea of buying into DVC, and one of the appeals is using HHI on our "not Disney" years. I know I'm asking a group of people who use HHI regularly - but do you think that's a good value? It's a lot closer to us than Disney, and we are slow and easy beach trip fans. I'm just trying to work out the economics of it. HHI is a pretty expensive beach destination, so using the points may make it worth it for us - instead of always looking for VRBOs to rent. :)

Hi everyone! We are rolling around the idea of buying into DVC, and one of the appeals is using HHI on our "not Disney" years. I know I'm asking a group of people who use HHI regularly - but do you think that's a good value? It's a lot closer to us than Disney, and we are slow and easy beach trip fans. I'm just trying to work out the economics of it. HHI is a pretty expensive beach destination, so using the points may make it worth it for us - instead of always looking for VRBOs to rent. :)
Hello!! So we just purchased our first DVC and chose HHI for these exact reasons. ❤️ We go to Disney about once a year, just for a long weekend, and we also vacation at Hilton Head. We spent almost $900 this summer for 2 nights at a VRBO, and purchasing the DVC at Hilton Head makes so much financial sense for us for these reasons. They are our two main vacation destinations, and even with the high dues, it still ends up saving us money in the long run... especially since our two boys (for some reason) keep getting taller and regular hotel rooms aren't feasible for us anymore.

If you want to go in summer, be sure you book in home resort period. You can’t just decide to go two or three months out in summer.

Hello!! So we just purchased our first DVC and chose HHI for these exact reasons. ❤️ We go to Disney about once a year, just for a long weekend, and we also vacation at Hilton Head. We spent almost $900 this summer for 2 nights at a VRBO, and purchasing the DVC at Hilton Head makes so much financial sense for us for these reasons. They are our two main vacation destinations, and even with the high dues, it still ends up saving us money in the long run... especially since our two boys (for some reason) keep getting taller and regular hotel rooms aren't feasible for us anymore.
Thank you! This is really helpful. I keep pricing different versions of VRBO vacations to test out my break even point. Everything I read says to expect to Disney 6-8 times to hit the break even point with DVC. Would you say that my break even would be 6-8 trips of both Disney & HHI combined?

We love Disney but we don't go every year. I think we are likely to go every other year for the next several due to the ages of my kiddos. I never considered DVC until I recently found out about the HHI property. That changed the math a bit. :)

Thank you! This is really helpful. I keep pricing different versions of VRBO vacations to test out my break even point. Everything I read says to expect to Disney 6-8 times to hit the break even point with DVC. Would you say that my break even would be 6-8 trips of both Disney & HHI combined?

We love Disney but we don't go every year. I think we are likely to go every other year for the next several due to the ages of my kiddos. I never considered DVC until I recently found out about the HHI property. That changed the math a bit. :)
We bought HHI as our home resort because we live closer to wdw than hhi and we love dhhir.

We have 3 contracts and we use half our points at hhi and half at wdw.

I would recommend you do what is best for your family, but we are happy with our dvc at hhi!

Yep! While all of the couches were serviceable, over the years, they simply wore down. Delaying the refurb twice (and now in all likelihood, thrice) certainly means the condition of the couches, tables, chairs, et.al. all suffered. Chances are high that the units will not get upgraded appliances, but pretty much all else will be new. And, those new couches should not suffer the same issues as the old ones. ;)
Hopefully - they’ll replace the couches with the over-the-couch pull down Murphy beds like the Orlando DVC units as part of the refurb! That would be AWESOME

Hi guys! I am looking to book for spring break, my aunt owns Dvc and can book at the 7 month mark but I’m wondering how difficult that will be to get Easter week/weekend? I can always try to book now before the 7 month mark with David’s or another site. I would love your advice!

Hi guys! I am looking to book for spring break, my aunt owns Dvc and can book at the 7 month mark but I’m wondering how difficult that will be to get Easter week/weekend? I can always try to book now before the 7 month mark with David’s or another site. I would love your advice!
I won't lie: Easter week/weekend is extremely busy, so it will be a tough "get." Still, it's worth trying.

Which size room are you looking for at dhhir? If looking for a studio, 1 bedroom, or grand villa, I completely agree with sleepydog25. If a 2 bedroom, you may have a chance at 7 months booked at 8 am.

I won't lie: Easter week/weekend is extremely busy, so it will be a tough "get." Still, it's worth trying.
So when you say Easter week, is that the week before Easter or the week after? We have the middle of March booked right now but are wanting to modify to the first week of April. We can't modify though for three more days. Your post has me worried.

So when you say Easter week, is that the week before Easter or the week after? We have the middle of March booked right now but are wanting to modify to the first week of April. We can't modify though for three more days. Your post has me worried.
Mostly the weekend. I mean, prime season at the resort actually starts the first week of spring break which is mid-March, so after that it gets tougher as the season progresses. However, a lot of people want to vacation there come Easter weekend; earlier in the week should be a wee bit easier, I would think. ;)

Sorry if this looks familiar, I posted in my HH FB group too.

Hello! Is 4 nights, December 30-January 3 (effectively 3 full days), long enough for our first trip? We are currently booked for 5 nights at HH and 3 at WDW, but thinking of changing to 4/4 split to get one more park day (3 instead of 2). I know it will be too cold for beach, but would like to bike, take in some sights, enjoy resort, enjoy some local restaurants, and possibly go to Savannah for a day. Just not sure what to do and need to decide quick since WDW availability is hard to find that week!

It’s me and husabnd and our two sons, 13 and 8. I welcome any and all opinions and advice! Thank you!!

Hello! Is 4 nights, December 30-January 3 (effectively 3 full days), long enough for our first trip? We are currently booked for 5 nights at HH and 3 at WDW, but thinking of changing to 4/4 split to get one more park day (3 instead of 2). I know it will be too cold for beach, but would like to bike, take in some sights, enjoy resort, enjoy some local restaurants, and possibly go to Savannah for a day. Just not sure what to do and need to decide quick since WDW availability is hard to find that week!

It’s me and husabnd and our two sons, 13 and 8. I welcome any and all opinions and advice! Thank you!!
Yes!!! ❤️ I actually think that's perfect. Enjoy the trip!

I'd say if you're thinking of doing the 4/4 split, then that's likely what you're leaning toward already, so pull the trigger. As for HHI, there will be plenty to see and do; however, the true appeal to most people who stay at HHI is the slower pace, the relaxed atmosphere, that low country vibe, and the chance to reconnect with your family that often the fast-paced, on the go all the time, head buried in the Disney app WDW experience doesn't provide.

Here are just a few things to "do" at HHI:
- play board/card games in your room or on your balcony if the weather is good (often is)
- play the yard games scattered around the resort--corn hole, horseshoes, basketball, putting green, giant checkers, bocce ball
- nap in the hammocks (about 6 of them)
- search for hidden Mickeys (inquire at rec center window)
- fish from the pier (rec window can rent you equipment)
- swim/use hot tub--both main pool and Beach House pool are heated to 84F
- pool table in Murggie's Den (though rumors are that's going away at some point)
- pool table, pingpong table, foosball, and corn hole at the Beach House
- rent bikes and go pretty much anywhere on the island--extensive bike path system

Beyond that, there are lots of small shops, great restaurants, mini golf, and more just off property. And, of course, the beach is open year round, even if the water is too chilly. You can easily bike there (1.5 miles). Yes, there are all kinds of boat tours, too, and day trips to Savannah (less than an hour) or Charleston (about 2 hours), but the beauty of HHI and the various things you can do to simply relax and unwind can certainly fill up your time. Enjoy!

For your first trip, that sounds about right. We go in November, and when we first started, way back in 2006, that was about right. Now we stay 12 nights, and when we leave, we always know we would have enjoyed staying longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter