• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Can somebody upload the September activity guide for DHHIR this month?

I will repost to page 1. (We will be at dhhir for october)

As others have stated for any newbies to HHI and the Disney resort there, it is all about relaxation. It is the polar opposites of other popular beaches like Virginia and Myrtle. My DW and I have been SSR DVC members since 2016. We moved from frigid Boston to upstate South Carolina in January of 2020. HHI is a 3-4 hour drive from Greenville, SC. Before we started our jobs, we spent 2 nights in February at the resort with our points. It was in the 70's and laid back, we really enjoyed shooting the breeze with the locals we met and the relaxed atmosphere. One local even stated that the evening before was the first time he had to turn his heat on in the last 10 years. Then in August of 2021 we spent 2 days at the beach and 1 day in Charleston, we were hooked and realized we needed cool beach cruiser bikes! The beach is hard packed and flat at low tide allowing easy running and biking. HHI forced me to relax! All our other vacations are centered around running marathons or touring new locals. Go go go and return home exhausted. I new we needed to buy more points. January of 2022 we purchased 100 points for HHI. This summer stayed 4 nights in early August which gave us 3 beach days. Not enough! Our trip consisted of waking up whenever, sipping some coffee and getting in a quick run or bike ride. We then packed the cooler with lunch and some adult beverages to hit the beach. We rented chairs and an umbrella, well worth the money to us to not have to lug stuff to the beach. We spent the day sunbathing, people watching, swimming and RELAXING until 5pm. We then moved to the beach house to finish the cooler and enjoy the pool. A quick bike ride gets us back to the resort to clean up and get ready for the evening. Most nights we made a quick dinner in the room and then biked to one of the 3 nearby breweries for a few sips. We then plotted a course to the nearest ice cream shop for a nightcap. I cannot emphasize enough the laid back atmosphere. Most of the island shuts down by 10 pm and turns the lights out for the sea turtles. Tuesday is a mad house for the fireworks show near the resort. If you are there during the fireworks season, plan on staying at the resort that evening unless you are traveling by bike and enjoy the show. On Wednesday mornings the Dunes resort runs a beach 5k. There were about 300 runners the morning we ran it. We have yet to hit very many of the local restaurants or 2 miniature golf courses. Poseidon and Low country backyard are both excellent restaurants. The ice cream cone shop has an amazing variety of ice cream and HHI ice cream is a close second. I truly understand where other people are coming from when they say 12 days is not enough. Laid back and relaxing, you do nothing fast while visiting the island.

As others have stated for any newbies to HHI and the Disney resort there, it is all about relaxation. It is the polar opposites of other popular beaches like Virginia and Myrtle. My DW and I have been SSR DVC members since 2016. We moved from frigid Boston to upstate South Carolina in January of 2020. HHI is a 3-4 hour drive from Greenville, SC. Before we started our jobs, we spent 2 nights in February at the resort with our points. It was in the 70's and laid back, we really enjoyed shooting the breeze with the locals we met and the relaxed atmosphere. One local even stated that the evening before was the first time he had to turn his heat on in the last 10 years. Then in August of 2021 we spent 2 days at the beach and 1 day in Charleston, we were hooked and realized we needed cool beach cruiser bikes! The beach is hard packed and flat at low tide allowing easy running and biking. HHI forced me to relax! All our other vacations are centered around running marathons or touring new locals. Go go go and return home exhausted. I new we needed to buy more points. January of 2022 we purchased 100 points for HHI. This summer stayed 4 nights in early August which gave us 3 beach days. Not enough! Our trip consisted of waking up whenever, sipping some coffee and getting in a quick run or bike ride. We then packed the cooler with lunch and some adult beverages to hit the beach. We rented chairs and an umbrella, well worth the money to us to not have to lug stuff to the beach. We spent the day sunbathing, people watching, swimming and RELAXING until 5pm. We then moved to the beach house to finish the cooler and enjoy the pool. A quick bike ride gets us back to the resort to clean up and get ready for the evening. Most nights we made a quick dinner in the room and then biked to one of the 3 nearby breweries for a few sips. We then plotted a course to the nearest ice cream shop for a nightcap. I cannot emphasize enough the laid back atmosphere. Most of the island shuts down by 10 pm and turns the lights out for the sea turtles. Tuesday is a mad house for the fireworks show near the resort. If you are there during the fireworks season, plan on staying at the resort that evening unless you are traveling by bike and enjoy the show. On Wednesday mornings the Dunes resort runs a beach 5k. There were about 300 runners the morning we ran it. We have yet to hit very many of the local restaurants or 2 miniature golf courses. Poseidon and Low country backyard are both excellent restaurants. The ice cream cone shop has an amazing variety of ice cream and HHI ice cream is a close second. I truly understand where other people are coming from when they say 12 days is not enough. Laid back and relaxing, you do nothing fast while visiting the island.
Owners list and Trip last has been updated on Page 1!

Great description of a DHHIR vacation!

I only have the rest of this week because we check out tomorrow. Figured I’d post anyway in case anyone is arriving very soon. If they have the full one when I go up front I will grab and post.

How bad are the jellyfish right now? We'll be there in just a few days (yay!!!) and I'm hoping they're on the way out.

I snapped some pictures for everyone that’s wondering about the breakfast buffet.

Attachments

• 774FD7B8-CBA7-40CE-9566-E0C997D35CD9.jpeg
    774FD7B8-CBA7-40CE-9566-E0C997D35CD9.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 62C2343C-7AD3-4BD6-ABFF-5F0C3104DB03.jpeg
    62C2343C-7AD3-4BD6-ABFF-5F0C3104DB03.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 29
  • AAB782C9-2BDE-4EB4-B6E3-10B8353317B6.jpeg
    AAB782C9-2BDE-4EB4-B6E3-10B8353317B6.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 28
  • EFF0C462-5FB0-4083-B419-C0B146C8521E.jpeg
    EFF0C462-5FB0-4083-B419-C0B146C8521E.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 2A2D771C-BAFF-4A92-88F5-B9B1EE50A204.jpeg
    2A2D771C-BAFF-4A92-88F5-B9B1EE50A204.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 26
  • C1D44347-1057-489D-942D-0B731E697EC6.jpeg
    C1D44347-1057-489D-942D-0B731E697EC6.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 4EB04D99-774C-4BD3-9B60-10AF428A02A2.jpeg
    4EB04D99-774C-4BD3-9B60-10AF428A02A2.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 27
  • F8154A1D-A9AF-4E80-A2BC-8AA11E9BBCD3.jpeg
    F8154A1D-A9AF-4E80-A2BC-8AA11E9BBCD3.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 94F524D4-180A-4A82-8D7F-8FE4F118C2CF.jpeg
    94F524D4-180A-4A82-8D7F-8FE4F118C2CF.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 1DA7A6D5-D341-4F91-811D-6486E455BA85.jpeg
    1DA7A6D5-D341-4F91-811D-6486E455BA85.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 40
I snapped some pictures for everyone that’s wondering about the breakfast buffet.
Would you recommend trying it?

It looks good in the pictures!

We have always ate at Tide Me Over for breakfast and love it.

(Seems like we always spend about 10 per person for breakfast at TME anyway.)

Would you recommend trying it?

It looks good in the pictures!

We have always ate at Tide Me Over for breakfast and love it.

(Seems like we always spend about 10 per person for breakfast at TME anyway.)
Yes! Taste wise I would say it’s just like any Disney buffet. At $12 it’s easily the cheapest Disney buffet I’ve ever been to. They did not have the flavored Mickey waffles today because they didn’t get the batter in, but those will be back when they have the product. The potatoes were excellent!

So I tried to get the September activity calendar but they said they only have week by week now. I do want to share a pic of the gator we saw as we were driving out of the resort to head home today!

Attachments

• B243B267-44D6-4E16-96F9-B70E1440F435.jpeg
    B243B267-44D6-4E16-96F9-B70E1440F435.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 41E90884-1D57-420E-8CF9-569053780E0F.jpeg
    41E90884-1D57-420E-8CF9-569053780E0F.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 40
So I tried to get the September activity calendar but they said they only have week by week now. I do want to share a pic of the gator we saw as we were driving out of the resort to head home today!
Wow! I guess it goes to show that the sign we always see (it shows a little but is mostly covered by the tree), saying something about alligators and snakes, is at least partially right. So if you saw it when you were leaving, does that mean it was over by the bridge? We regularly see alligators when DH golfs, but we've never seen one at the resort.

Attachments

• 4B7F0F4C-0DB9-4AB7-9008-ADC78DFA56F9.jpeg
    4B7F0F4C-0DB9-4AB7-9008-ADC78DFA56F9.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 37
Wow! I guess it goes to show that the sign we always see (it shows a little but is mostly covered by the tree), saying something about alligators and snakes, is at least partially right. So if you saw it when you were leaving, does that mean it was over by the bridge? We regularly see alligators when DH golfs, but we've never seen one at the resort.
I've spotted them both by the bridge and about 20 yards out into the water from the location in your picture behind Bldg 11. pirate:

Just returned from a 2 night stay in a 1 bedroom on 3rd floor of Live Oak Lodge - Room 1131. When checking in, I asked about the refurb & was told that they are still waiting for them to be approved and have no idea when refurb would begin.

Didn't try the buffet but was told will continue. Front desk said that they were doing buffet b/c it's so hard to get help & buffet doesn't require as many workers.

Social Bakery has a delicious blueberry muffin.

We stayed on beach all day yesterday - a little overcast with a slight breeze so it was the perfect day. Asked lifeguard about jellyfish & said that no one reported of any stings so that's good and we didn't see any but we didn't go that far out in the water. We did see several dolphins swimming by. 8-)

Had a wonderful time & will be returning next month & can't wait. Best CMs are at DHHIR!!! Hands down the BEST!

Yes. We had just pulled out of the gate and saw it in the water on the left.

Wow that’s scary! We’ve thought ab doing kayak tours down one of those channels but now I’m not so sure. My son broke his arm climbing one of those lovely oak trees on property last year, so maybe we should steer clear of any future possible “events” 😆

Wow that’s scary! We’ve thought ab doing kayak tours down one of those channels but now I’m not so sure. My son broke his arm climbing one of those lovely oak trees on property last year, so maybe we should steer clear of any future possible “events” 😆
Most of the kayak tours don't go down that particular channel where the gator is pictured or reported being seen. They tend to go out past that channel and explore areas beyond. Even so, gators aren't that aggressive and the kayak is way larger than the reptile. Now, you might get a little freaked out when the tiny fish jump out of the water into your kayak which can happen, but you'll be safe from alligators. pirate:

We also live in Greenville! Hi, neighbor!

Also, very exciting news -- our points loaded this morning, so we are *officially* part of the Hilton Head family! I just booked December 22-24 for a quick Christmas getaway, and we are so thrilled. It's the exact same nights we stayed last year when we fell in love, and there really is nothing like the holidays on a Disney property. Huzzah!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter