Hints and tips on what to buy in the US and what to buy here

queenie82

Queen of the 5 Castles
If there is something I have learnt during my many overseas holidays there are DEFINITELY things that are cheaper to get in the US....but not everything.

It does depend a bit on the dollar...of course ;)
But what are your thoughts on the best things to get in the US.
AND things we should just bring so we don't have to worry about them.

For me the latter is important....so I will start with that.
Medication is very important to bring with you...and not just what is a prescription here.
- Codeine is PRESCRIPTION only in the US (Panadeine, Nurofen Plus etc)
- Telfast/Allegra is Prescription only in the US and expensive.
- Allergy medication generally speaking isn't very cheap. Going to Chemist Warehouse (or similar) before you go will give you a better price.

SUNSCREEN is actually surprisingly expensive in the US. Plus what they stock isn't subject to the same tough regulations.
In Australia no sunscreen can have an SPF of more than 30+ because the chemicals used to take the SPF higher is not good for you. So watch for specials here and bring your own.

LEGO is pretty expensive in the US so unless it is something special or on a super special over there; just get it here.

I'll leave it here and let you bargain hunters go!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I reckon if you need SD or XD or whatever cards for your camera you are better off buying them over there. I was surprised at how cheap, cheap, cheap they were!!! :thumbsup2

xxx

I seem to remember people discussing kids games on here, was it Nintendo DS games that are cheap???? Or was it Playstation games?

Sunscreen - I couldn't get over it, they had SPF100. What is that about :confused3.

The thing that we found the most notably cheapest was brand name sports wear like Nike, Adidas, etc. Nike & Adidas t-shirts for $10, we bought my daughter a really nice Nike hoodie for $15. The sports shoes were cheap too. Nike Air Force ones that we had bought our daughter here for $60-70 were only $29.95 there. Oh and Levi jeans, bargain!

Clothing in general was cheap. We are going with a shopping list for the kids for next years clothing.

Nike used to be much better. The range of shoes was better and the specials better as well. Now it really depends on what you are looking for.
They CAN still be great...but the range isn't as good.

What I'm planning to look at now is Munro shoes. I don't need white running shoes much any more. My big clod hoppers need nice work shoes.
Peter Sheppard stocks them and here is a price comparison on one style
AUD$299 here US$179.95 in the US. These are RRP...so it may even be less.
I'll try on here and know what I want...then I can buy over there :lmao: :rotfl: :thumbsup2

I just want running shoes - several pairs. Anything else I pick up is collateral damage to the credit card LOL.

(PS Sydney's City To Surf is on Sunday, so this may be one of the last times I post!).

And a Hawaiian shirt for my husband to celebrate our 3 year wedding anniversary on my return :rotfl:

Running shoes are good at a warehouse outlet; or on sale.

1. Calvin Klein jeans are about 1/3 of the price over here.
  2. Handbag brands like Fossil, Dooney and Bourke are fantastic to get, when on sale. I still find Coach expensive, even though they are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than in Oz.
  3. Suits for work - I can get a fully lined Jones New York wool suit or a Banana Republic suit for under $200. I have to pay $800 - $1000 for Country Road over here.
  4. Sports equipment such as tennis racquets, ski gear etc.
  5. Shoes are 50% cheaper; and sometimes even more at the outlets.
  6. DS Games are tons cheaper ($35 max vs $70 in Oz)

And make sure you check out the candy aisle in the supermarket. I love Starbursts and they have the most wonderful flavours there!

[*]Suits for work - I can get a fully lined Jones New York wool suit or a Banana Republic suit for under $200. I have to pay $800 - $1000 for Country Road over here.
I'll have a look...never thought to look there. :thumbsup2
I'm a Sportscraft girl but never had to actually buy a suit as yet thankfully as they are expensive.

And make sure you check out the candy aisle in the supermarket. I love Starbursts and they have the most wonderful flavours there!
You don't have to say that twice!
Hershey and Ghirardelli...
:woohoo:

I'll have a look...never thought to look there. :thumbsup2
I'm a Sportscraft girl but never had to actually buy a suit as yet thankfully as they are expensive.

You don't have to say that twice!
Hershey and Ghirardelli...
:woohoo:

It took me a while to discover Jones New York - I'd always thought it as a shop my mother would love. And the clothes are what my mum would wear....but the suits are classic cut.

The last two suits I got from them were absolute steals!
One was originally $600 RRP, $299 at the outlet....with a 50% off for the sale...and then a further 40% off because I got there at the end of the season and they were throwing them out. With tax, it came to over $80!

The other one ended up costing me $52; same sort of situation, except it was a further 70% off...because of the GFC and no one was buying. :woohoo:

Brands like Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hillfiger, True Religion Jeans, DKNY, Guess, Coach are so much cheaper in the US.

For kids, Abercrombie has such good quality TShirts etc, such beautiful cotton and really reasonably priced.

If you like jewellery, Tiffany & Co is SO much cheaper in the US than in Australia.

If you can be bothered lugging it back, the bed linen is really good quality too and very reasonably priced.

Does anyone know about camera lens? Was going to buy some new lens then the thought that it might be cheaper in the states hit me. Has anyone gone lens shopping in either Orlando, NYC or Washington DC?

It took me a while to discover Jones New York - I'd always thought it as a shop my mother would love. And the clothes are what my mum would wear....but the suits are classic cut.

The last two suits I got from them were absolute steals!
One was originally $600 RRP, $299 at the outlet....with a 50% off for the sale...and then a further 40% off because I got there at the end of the season and they were throwing them out. With tax, it came to over $80!

The other one ended up costing me $52; same sort of situation, except it was a further 70% off...because of the GFC and no one was buying. :woohoo:

Do they have men's suits also? We are keen to have a look around for a good quality yet cheap suit for my husband. He has expensive tastes and any savings I can make would be great :lmao:.

Does anyone know about camera lens? Was going to buy some new lens then the thought that it might be cheaper in the states hit me. Has anyone gone lens shopping in either Orlando, NYC or Washington DC?

I haven't gone shopping for lens over there but I know from this website:- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ that the prices are alot cheaper than here. You would just need to locate a store near where you will be. I was thinking about buying a new lens too when over there, plus a flash. I will have to do some research also.

If you can find a nordstrom rack you will find all of last seasons clothing and shoes cheap! Last time I was home we got all name brand jeans, shoes and general clothing cheap, cheap, cheap!

Also for those in Melbourne with Costco memberships you can get some great deals in the states Costco. One of the best bargains is eyeglasses and contacts. I buy disposable contacts and get at least 70% off at Costco!!

Good luck!!!

If you can find a nordstrom rack you will find all of last seasons clothing and shoes cheap! Last time I was home we got all name brand jeans, shoes and general clothing cheap, cheap, cheap!

Also for those in Melbourne with Costco memberships you can get some great deals in the states Costco. One of the best bargains is eyeglasses and contacts. I buy disposable contacts and get at least 70% off at Costco!!

Good luck!!!

Hey Willow, can i pick your brain? Do you know much about shopping in New York? Would love some tips on places to go?

Also, what is the Aussie equiv of Macy's?

Thanks.

Also, what is the Aussie equiv of Macy's?

Thanks.

We were at Macy's at the end of season - it seemed to a bit messy. It was the flower show - which was amazing - very DJ's.

I actually thought it was a mix of DJ's and Myer. The 'prom dress' area was literally racks and racks of dresses - not displayed very well at all.

DD12 purchased a Hurley winter jacket for $20 (with all the discounts) - this was from the teenage area. The children's area had a great range. We went to a store across the road from Macys - 'Daffy's' it was upstairs (there was a huge ad on a corner window). Daffys is more like a 'stock over run' store, I purchased a Ben Sherman cardigan for $10.

I thought Gap was great for kids clothes and we picked up cheap Disney t-shirts at Old Navy.

Converse and skeetchers were cheaper.

Definitely allow enough time for the Prime Outlet mall in Orlando - there is a Disney store here, that has pins for under $1 - great if your children are wanting to trade. There is a post in the coupons thread about the mall.

In Orlando, visit a Target Superstore (combines Target with a Supermarket), they sold brand name products. Definitely left the Target stores here for dead. We stocked up on food (kg packets of Hershy and twizzlers) to bring home and bottled water for Disney.

Which Orlando shopping outlet is better?

Prime Outlet Mall Orlando or Orlando Premium Outlets?

We will only have time to visit one.

Prime outlet
It has the Disney outlet.
I also prefer its range of shops.
You should go to both the websites and see a list of stores....just so you know.

But I would always pick the prime.

I can't remember which is which in regards to location, I can see both of them but I just can't picture the name. The best one by far is the one farthest from WDW. There is one that is really really close from DTD and it is OK but the one that is further away is the better one. Not sure if the one that is further away is Prime or Premium. Why on earth would they make the names similar :lmao: makes it hard to remember which is which. Like Mall at Millenia and Florida Mall, totally different names :lmao:

Just had a look and it's Prime which is further away and that was it. It was great, much better than the Premium outlet mall. Register online and print out the coupon for their coupon book. You then go to the information hut and collect the coupon book for even bigger savings.

Great post! Looking forward to reading more. I am sure I will be asking lots of questions about shopping when it gets a little closer to our trip.
Has anyone had problems with the DS games. I was told not to bother getting them because they won't work in our DS :confused3

Great post! Looking forward to reading more. I am sure I will be asking lots of questions about shopping when it gets a little closer to our trip.
Has anyone had problems with the DS games. I was told not to bother getting them because they won't work in our DS :confused3

DS games do work :thumbsup2 They are not zoned or do not have reigon codes and there is a big price difference (they are cheaper) and also an enormous range, you can get many games that are not available here and also games that come out over there months before they come out here. Like when we were at WDW in April a few years ago, the new Pokemon games were released. They were also released with a great little book that was never available here. My DS had his games (well he got both, there were two) and the books and had them about 6 months before they came here. His friends were so jealous :rotfl:

Wii, Playstation games etc do not work here as they are for a different region :thumbsup2

My DS has already been to gamestop.com (same as EB Games) and has his list :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter