Hints and tips on what to buy in the US and what to buy here

That's great! thanks aussietravellers! that will be the first thing on our shopping list :woohoo:

Does anyone know about camera lens? Was going to buy some new lens then the thought that it might be cheaper in the states hit me. Has anyone gone lens shopping in either Orlando, NYC or Washington DC?

We tried lens shopping in California...we didn't find time in Orlando. We were disappointed as the shops we went to didn't have the lenses that we wanted in stock. It would seem that on-line shopping is the way to go for lenses.

Adorama and B&H are very popular US online shopping for camera equipment. And Heather put me on to digital warehouse international (dwi) which operates out of Brisbane, predominantly shipping stuff exported from Asia (grey market). DWI pricing seemed comparable.

Do they have men's suits also? We are keen to have a look around for a good quality yet cheap suit for my husband. He has expensive tastes and any savings I can make would be great :lmao:.

Jones New York is women's only.

But Banana Republic have men's suits, comparable to Country Road. And then there are the Hugo Boss, Zegna etc suits. They are all cheaper over there than here.

Shushh - Yes, that's the one. But I can't take the credit for it....Heather put me on to them in the first place. I believe she actually purchased her camera through them.

just wondering if hotels actually accept small deliveries if you are staying with them? Basically Im wondering if I ordered something from the Disney Outlet online store - would I be able to get it sent to the contemporary (where we are staying in WDW) - we have 10 days there so if I can get the timing right??? Im sure IVe heard of other people getting things delivered to the hotel before....

The other thing I really need to purchase whilst we are there is a Cabbage Patch Kid doll - a LOT cheaper than here and I can actually order my DD one with her exact birthdate!!! So Id want to get that sent to us at one of our hotels...

Hmmm I cant see why not???

just wondering if hotels actually accept small deliveries if you are staying with them? Basically Im wondering if I ordered something from the Disney Outlet online store - would I be able to get it sent to the contemporary (where we are staying in WDW) - we have 10 days there so if I can get the timing right??? Im sure IVe heard of other people getting things delivered to the hotel before....

The other thing I really need to purchase whilst we are there is a Cabbage Patch Kid doll - a LOT cheaper than here and I can actually order my DD one with her exact birthdate!!! So Id want to get that sent to us at one of our hotels...

Yes you can get things delivered to the hotel :thumbsup2 (I have done it lots of times and will be again this trip)

At WDW, I have read somewhere that USPS (United States Postal Service) does not deliver direct to the resort, the mail goes to a central location and is then sent on to the resort, which can mean the mail takes a little longer. If you get it delivered with UPS or FedEx, they deliver direct to the resort and Bell Services will receive it. All mail (except the grocery deliveries) are held at the front desk.

When you address the mail, have it delivered to the name on the hotel reservation, that you are a guest and your check in date (so Guest checking in on .... date), then the hotels address. I have read somewhere that you also add front desk in the hotels address, so Disney's Beach Club Resort, Front Desk, street, suburb etc...

There is a thread about this somewhere, I will see if I can find it later today and post the link here for you. Some Cast Members posted replies from memory giving the best way to address mail to yourself at the resort.

If you can find a nordstrom rack you will find all of last seasons clothing and shoes cheap! Last time I was home we got all name brand jeans, shoes and general clothing cheap, cheap, cheap!
OMG Nordstrom Rack was amazing, there is one in Orlando in Millenia Crossing, it's NOT in the big Millenia Mall (which is very expensive), it's down the road a bit but it is sooooooo worth finding. NYDJ jeans for $20!!!!! (that was late Nov 2009, I think they may have been winter 2008 styles)

Nordstrom Rack has men's, women's, kid's, clothing, footwear, accessories, makeup, everything!!

NYDJ jeans are normal prices over there, rather than the ridiculous prices here.

I can't remember which is which in regards to location, I can see both of them but I just can't picture the name. The best one by far is the one farthest from WDW.
Prime Outlets is the one up near Universal Studios, and I agree it is much better than Orlando Premium Outlets (just south of SeaWorld)
If you're after clothing I'd recommend Nordstrom Rack, it isn't far past Prime Outlets, and it's a much more manageable size (like a small Target size rather than a big complex like Premium/Prime) unless you are after a specific label shop.

Another option for more label stuff is Gilt Groupe They don't ship internationally, but will ship to your hotel.
They can take up to a week to 'approve' your membership, but once you've got that, it's crazy label reductions.

Make up and nail polishes are really cheap over there. I usually get some Burt's Bees stuff at Walmart, which is expensive in Australia. OPI and CND nail stuff is much less than in Australia.

Hey I have ordered some gift baskets for the kids when we arrive. The lady delivers them to the resort and you can PM her with what you want. She sends you a photo of the end result before you pay via pay pal (I think that was it?) anyway her name is Betsy, her website address is www.memoriesbybetsy.com. She is not cheap but cheaper than disney and she does a really nice job of the gift baskets.:thumbsup2

Top of my list is shoes. I love Skechers and can get them at the outlet mall for less than $US40, they are $150+ in NZ.

Also things like Levis, Nike etc are all much cheaper.

Some cosmetics are cheap too - I usually go to Walmart/Walgreens.

If you hit when they have sales, they do some great ones. Once at Sears, they had 75% of the lowest marked price. I was buying trousers for work for about $4-$6 a pair!

I just returned from my 2nd trip in 9 months and this 2nd one we did a lot of shopping!

All the American brands are so much cheaper - DKNY, Guess, Levi's. Love the kids clothes over there Ralph Lauren, Tommy, Gymboree, Gap. Their outlets are crazy with discounts on top of discounts. Last trip, we went with 2 half empty suitcases and came back with 5. This time I went with SIL and we bought 50kg in 5 days!

Stock up on Clinique and Mac. An $88 foundation here is $22 there. The Clinique 3 step skincare was $48 for the pack with free gift with purchase whilst here it is about $170.

But my weakness is Coach - I bought 6 bags/purses for what one costs here full retail!

I just returned from my 2nd trip in 9 months and this 2nd one we did a lot of shopping!

All the American brands are so much cheaper - DKNY, Guess, Levi's. Love the kids clothes over there Ralph Lauren, Tommy, Gymboree, Gap. Their outlets are crazy with discounts on top of discounts. Last trip, we went with 2 half empty suitcases and came back with 5. This time I went with SIL and we bought 50kg in 5 days!

Stock up on Clinique and Mac. An $88 foundation here is $22 there. The Clinique 3 step skincare was $48 for the pack with free gift with purchase whilst here it is about $170.

But my weakness is Coach - I bought 6 bags/purses for what one costs here full retail!

Welcome to the boards TwinkleOz.

I wear Clinique foundation that that is awesome news. And I've always secretly wanted a Coach bag, might have to check them out too.

:welcome: to the boards TwinkleOz

Yes Mac is at the top of my shopping list. I actually have to clean out a few stores of my foundation as it's a third of the price in the US, so I stock up big time. I wear Chanel lipgloss too and they are half the price in the US compared to here.

Thank you for the welcome :)

That $22 foundation is from Mac but Clinique foundations are super cheap there too. The super strength special Clinique moisturisers that they sell here for $120+ are about $40 over there. If you are there in October, Clinique have their big promotion then too :)

You DEFINITELY have to go to a Coach outlet. Their retail stores are still cheaper than ours, but the Outlets are definitely worthwhile! I had to get special permission from the manager as they thought I was a reseller :laughing: . Nope, all for me :love: .

Ms. Shuttergirl said:
And I've always secretly wanted a Coach bag, might have to check them out too.

They sell Coach bags at Macy's, so if you decided to get one there you can use the 11% Macy's voucher/card that pick up at the gift wrap counter :thumbsup2

Ooooh tell me more about the Macy's voucher

Oh it's an essential item for any trip to the USA :rotfl2:

http://www.macys.com/store/about/visitor/index.jsp
International visitors can receive the Welcome International Savings Card, which is available in 10 languages and offers 10% savings in all Macy's stores for 30 days after validation.

Oh, it has dropped to 10% I have just noticed, it used to be 11% :rotfl:

Anyway you go, usually to the gift wrap counter that is on one of the upper floors and you just ask for it. I was asked for a passport once, but most times I have just had to show my hotel room key and obviously my accent is enough.

US residents travelling get one that is valid for 5 days, I used to get those from the concierge desk in the hotel we stayed at in Hawaii, so it saved trying to find the counter in the store. So it's possible that they concierge at your hotel in NY may keep them, but just the 5 day ones. Otherwise grab the 30 day one in the store.

You get 10% off everything in the store except cosmetics and perfume. So if there is a sale rack with 25% off or 50% off, then you can still use the voucher for another 10% off. I once bought a pair of Tommy Hilfiger jeans, they were on a 50% off rack, there was 25% off storewide and I used the 10% voucher. I got 85% off, I paid $11 for them :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter